Being invited to the Captain's/Officers' Table

Blue Lagoon

So wondering what it is like as a special honor being invited to the head table for formal night with officers / captain seeing that suite guests would be more accustomed to Luminae restaurant?

Is it more likely that this event is held in a specialty restaurant?

In the past, the head table in MDR would be the location but wondering how things have changed in the last few months with the introduction of Luminae.

Anyone have current updates?

Thanks.

Last month the Captains Table on Summit was in the MDR

Ditto for the month before. In fact, the only time that I've ever heard of the Captain's Table being moved to a specialty restaurant was this past spring on Connie -- during the infamous "animal house" cruise. :eek:

So wondering what it is like as a special honor being invited to the head table for formal night with officers / captain seeing that suite guests would be more accustomed to Luminae restaurant?

Is it more likely that this event is held in a specialty restaurant?

In the past, the head table in MDR would be the location but wondering how things have changed in the last few months with the introduction of Luminae.

Anyone have current updates?

Thanks.

We have done one cruise since Luminae was introduced [second Luminae cruise on Millennium]. The only difference we noticed was that the Captain's Table in the MDR hosted by the Captain was on the last formal night rather than the first. On that cruise, the Captain joined the senior officers for the Michael's Club first formal night event. I guess he cannot be in two places at once! For our cruise, 4 or 5 months earlier, the Captain hosted the table on the first formal night but did not participate in the event in Michael's Club.

Edited by Project_gal

On our last two cruises first formal night has had a senior officer hosting the captains table and the captain himself hosting on the second formal night.

All events MDR.

There have been some private events held in the Wine Room next to the Specialty Restaurant on Millennium, I've attended one. That did not replace the Officer Table on Formal nights in the MDR, it was in addition to it.

Have also seen Officers Table in use on non-formal nights in addition to Formal nights.

Last month the Captains Table on Summit was in the MDR

We are Elite (hate that word) with 15 cruises on X. We have never been invited to a captains dinner. However, couple of years ago we were at a table where on successive nights the ship's doctor, a second mate, and an accupuncturist from the spa hosted our table. Each night they each bought one bottle of wine for the table. Accept for the accupuncturist. She bought four! She had been on the ship for three weeks. Not only was this her first job on a cruise ship it was her first being on a cruise ship ever. The four bottles of wine went to very good use.

Never experienced this form of hosting before or since.

Edited by PoppyandNana

April/May aboard Connie the Captain's Table was in MDR. We don't know why/how we were chosen. Neither did the other three couples. We asked but the answer was "I'm not sure." Food was excellent. 5 senior officers were in attendance. The Captain did not attend but he stopped by to say hello.

When we ate at the Captain's Table (with the staff captain and the safety officer) on Infinity a few years ago it was in the MDR. It was a lot of fun and I hope we get invited again. Ironically it was the one time my husband didn't even bring a sport coat as we were eating in Blu and it was Alaska so we figured more casual (not!!). Called the captain's club hostess who assured us that it was no problem. We didn't want to decline, so she said she'd send a tailor to the cabin to measure my DH for a tux and he got that rental free so he wouldn't have to feel underdressed. We offered to pay for the rental but she kind of laughed and waved it off "....oh no no no no no...." It was a fun time and we met some great people and laughed hysterically all night at the safety officer's stories.

Great wine was served and most had full lobster tails and filet - a kind of surf and turf - which the captain suggested. Not sure it was exactly the same as was served in the MDR that night. Service was outstanding!! Wine glasses were never empty!

Wow, just wow.

In contrast, my wife and I once did 23 days on Cunard where we had a competition spotting anyone who looked younger than 35. On one particular day we actually heard a baby cry, but even though my wife jumped up (she's much faster on her feet than me) she couldn't find the source and so didn't score the bonus points. It was a pretty low scoring game in the end.

The only time we dined at the Captain's table that wasn't in the MDR, was this past February when they were doing the construction on Luminae and they held the invitation only dinner in Murano, on Equinox.

Normally, it is always in the main dining room but the exceptions to the

rule do happen. I was invited to dine at the Capt's Table on Connie back

in March and they moved us to Oceanliner's......whoever asked about

it? Not going through the whole thing again....but they didn't want us

in the main dining room due to the problems that took place on that

sailing.

The dinner was hosted by The Staff Captain and another officer and we

had a lovely dinner.

Edited by Lois R

We were only invited to the Captain's Table once and that was a real fluke! We had just boarded the Meridian and had come down after unpacking our suitcases and decided to hit a bar for a drink before dinner. Walked in and a hostess came up to us and asked how long we had been married and how many days since the wedding................we had been married for 35 years and didn't realize we had crashed a newlywed party.............The hostess sent an invite the next day to the Captain's Table and we enjoyed the meal and the wine but I was not impressed by the Captain continually squeezing my leg all night!!! I believe he was Italian!

I have never been to a Captain's Table but with our first cruise on Cunard was invited to attend an officers' Table. It was explained that each night, two officers (rostered) host a table and people are randomly selected (or so we were told) by the hosts of that night and the only rule was that people were not selected more than once per cruise. the night was fun with lots of wine provided and it was in the MDR (Britannia).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We have dined at the Captains table several times. Frankly, while it was nice, most people in our group of diners felt a bit uncomfortable. Everyone was a stranger so conversation was somewhat restrained. We did enjoy the meal and the free photo and cruise video we were given. We actually turned down the Hostess once. We just preferred a quiet dinner ourselves that night.