Aussie Dollar

I presume that person was from the US?

A typical "blinkered" comment, which assumes that most Australians don't because they want to "stiff" the staff or cruise line, and doesn't realise that significant (US-like) tipping is not part of our culture.

However I hope s/he comes to Australia often. The waiters in our restaurants must be delighted when s/he adds the typical US tip to an Aussie bill. ;) :D

Sadly they are partially right.

I have seen the queues at guest services and have been told that a lot of people (all nationalities but predominately Aussie and English) are removing the tips before the cruise even has left the dock. Not sure of percentages of guests that do this but even on Cunard's QM2 it happened. Build it into the price, call it a service charge rather than a tip and things will go alot smoother for both passengers, crew and cruiselines.

Sadly they are partially right.

I have seen the queues at guest services and have been told that a lot of people (all nationalities but predominately Aussie and English) are removing the tips before the cruise even has left the dock. Not sure of percentages of guests that do this but even on Cunard's QM2 it happened. Build it into the price, call it a service charge rather than a tip and things will go alot smoother for both passengers, crew and cruiselines.

Perhaps if the cruise lines stopped putting this sort of thing on their websites people wouldn't even think to remove them.

From Royal Caribbean:

"Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise."

From Celebrity:

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion."

I much prefer the Aussie-based Princess / P&O / Carnival method of including gratuities as part of the fare but also agree that calling it a service charge in this part of the world could help.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The whole system has it's faults but as they say 'When in Rome...':D

I call the on board gratuities - 'Automatic Wage Subsidy' for that is what it is. The Cruise Lines do not want to pay much of the service crew wages, (waiters, cabin stewards) they want the passengers to.

A few years ago P&O UK waiters/cabin stewards went on strike because of tip removal by the Poms and the Company failing to make up their pay. I believe these days P&O UK guarantee the staff a reasonable wage irrespective of the volume of auto tips removed.

Yes, I agree with others, build the tips into the fare like Princess Australia does for Sun/Sea/Dawn Princesses. Then there can be no negotiation and the queues at the Pursers desk will diminish somewhat.

Edited by NSWP

I call the on board gratuities - 'Automatic Wage Subsidy' for that is what it is. The Cruise Lines do not want to pay much of the service crew wages, (waiters, cabin stewards) they want the passengers to.

A few years ago P&O UK waiters/cabin stewards went on strike because of tip removal by the Poms and the Company failing to make up their pay. I believe these days P&O UK guarantee the staff a reasonable wage irrespective of the volume of auto tips removed.

Yes, I agree with others, build the tips into the fare like Princess Australia does for Sun/Sea/Dawn Princesses. Then there can be no negotiation and the queues at the Pursers desk will diminish somewhat.

Spot on. Cruise lines don't want to pay their staff as much so they can escape certain taxes. Guaranteed if it was the other way around and the staff wages component of the fare was fixed and profits for the cruise were the tips they would not be able to be changed or removed.

Spot on. Cruise lines don't want to pay their staff as much so they can escape certain taxes. Guaranteed if it was the other way around and the staff wages component of the fare was fixed and profits for the cruise were the tips they would not be able to be changed or removed.

Now ain't that the truth.

The industry has long depended on tips/gratuities as a way to encourage and acknowledge excellent service. This is more of an industry thing rather than a country-by-country divisive decision. As tipping (and I know that means something different in Australia) is not customary in all countries, the cruise lines have added it, either into the fare, as a booking perk, or onto the cruise account as a way to ensure their people always have a solid income. Employees we've spoken to say they make more in gratuities than they have in salary doing the same jobs elsewhere.

I think it's just a cost we need all to figure in as we plan our cruises. I do have a question, though. Is the 1, 2, 3 or Big, Better, Best promotion only stateside? Do non-US citizens, booking onboard, receive the same perks?

The industry has long depended on tips/gratuities as a way to encourage and acknowledge excellent service. This is more of an industry thing rather than a country-by-country divisive decision. As tipping (and I know that means something different in Australia) is not customary in all countries, the cruise lines have added it, either into the fare, as a booking perk, or onto the cruise account as a way to ensure their people always have a solid income. Employees we've spoken to say they make more in gratuities than they have in salary doing the same jobs elsewhere.

I think it's just a cost we need all to figure in as we plan our cruises. I do have a question, though. Is the 1, 2, 3 or Big, Better, Best promotion only stateside? Do non-US citizens, booking onboard, receive the same perks?

I totally agree, budget for the surcharge.

The BBB is not available in Australia as yet, the 123 Go finishes up on 8 august, so perhaps it will start then.

I totally agree, budget for the surcharge.

The BBB is not available in Australia as yet, the 123 Go finishes up on 8 august, so perhaps it will start then.

Personally, I liked the 1, 2, 3, Go better, but the BBB is easy to figure out on a per person basis. They've also added unlimited internet with the BBB, so one choosing that perk can only hope they improve the wifi before adding even more users to the system. ;)

Personally, I liked the 1, 2, 3, Go better, but the BBB is easy to figure out on a per person basis. They've also added unlimited internet with the BBB, so one choosing that perk can only hope they improve the wifi before adding even more users to the system. ;)

Yes, time will tell if it is a perk that works or a dud.

Yes, time will tell if it is a perk that works or a dud.

It will be interesting to cost it out. The base (Big) price shouldn't increase since they already have a perks offer in place. At least it gives good flexibility for those that only want a couple of the perks.

I remain unconvinced with the argument that Australian based Cruiselines factor the tips into the fares. I am fairly certain that they would if they could -

-- so can anyone tell me just how much a "cruisefare" is??? The fare for all cruises start out with glossy brochure prices - originally issued up to 2 years? before departure - then after that they are all over the place, largely dependent on supply and demand (demand being largely determined by popularity)

I can't really tell you how much a can of baked beans costs from day to day, month to month - so I certainly can't say how much a "cruise" costs - and hence can not in any way assess whether fares are more expensive now than when gratuities used to be added on. :)

I remain unconvinced with the argument that Australian based Cruiselines factor the tips into the fares. I am fairly certain that they would if they could -

-- so can anyone tell me just how much a "cruisefare" is??? The fare for all cruises start out with glossy brochure prices - originally issued up to 2 years? before departure - then after that they are all over the place, largely dependent on supply and demand (demand being largely determined by popularity)

I can't really tell you how much a can of baked beans costs from day to day, month to month - so I certainly can't say how much a "cruise" costs - and hence can not in any way assess whether fares are more expensive now than when gratuities used to be added on. :)

I can 69 cents a can if you buy the no frills brand. :D

To me it doesn't matter what the prices for cruises were in the brochure, sale, or promo. The cruises I have purchased have always been what I am prepared to pay for the deal I get. It has nothing to do with what it was, or what it will be but what I am prepared to pay when booking.

Regardless, they must pay their staff a decent wage so the staff are not reliant on tips, otherwise the staff would not want to work on those ships.

In the end it comes down to what you are prepared to pay for your cruise based on fare, port fees and taxes, gratuities if separate, drinks package prices if applicable. Newcomers to cruising are the most vulnerable to paying higher prices, especially those who don't realise the difference between the Aussie-based cruise ships and the others.

I'm getting far more canny about what I pay for my cruises. ;)

To me it doesn't matter what the prices for cruises were in the brochure, sale, or promo. The cruises I have purchased have always been what I am prepared to pay for the deal I get. It has nothing to do with what it was, or what it will be but what I am prepared to pay when booking.

Still, it can be extremely irritating when you book a cruise only to find out a month later that the price has dropped by over $600 pp. That happened to us on our first cruise. Luckily the TA was able to rebook us in the same cabin at the lower price.

And I was going to book an inside cabin for our Celebrity cruise this Christmas, until I worked out that a balcony cabin including the drinks package worked out cheaper than an inside cabin and purchasing drinks packages separately. That made me very happy indeed. A balcony on an NZ cruise will be lovely. At the time the Celebrity website was horrible and it actually took some time to work out how to get the beverage package perk. Worth it though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It will be interesting to cost it out. The base (Big) price shouldn't increase since they already have a perks offer in place. At least it gives good flexibility for those that only want a couple of the perks.

Yes, Big price will remain the same.

Extra levels are $20 extra, which is comparable to the US pricing adjusted for exchange rates (actually a little bit more generous given current rates).

The only issue is that it jumps from 2 to 4 perks. So if you don't want internet but want drinks & tips & OBC, or don't drink alcohol and want internet & tips and OBC (probably the two most common combinations) there is no option for 3. In that case It would depend on the length of the cruise - either drop the OBC and take the tips or, in the case of a shorter cruise take the OBC if it's more than the value of the tips.

Actually, I don't know why they didn't have an option for 3. By the way they've structured the pricing the difference between 2 and 4 is double the difference between 1 and 2.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yes, Big price will remain the same.

Extra levels are $20 extra, which is comparable to the US pricing adjusted for exchange rates (actually a little bit more generous given current rates).

Time will tell if it stays at those levels.