What is your favorite part of a cruise ?

PoppyandNana

My favorite time is the sail away from the embarkation port on the first day. So magical and exciting watching us leave a beautiful, bustling city and then relaxing into the ship's rocking motion. Sigh....can't wait to be on my next cruise

My favorite time is the sail away from the embarkation port on the first day. So magical and exciting watching us leave a beautiful, bustling city and then relaxing into the ship's rocking motion. Sigh....can't wait to be on my next cruise

The absolute best is sailing from NY/NJ. Going under the Verazzano bridge you see the Atlantic Ocean ahead. Once past the bridge the excitement starts to build. Time to go shower, get dressed and head for a lounge with music before dinner. You eat, hopefully sync with table mates , walk around the deck. Head to cabin where the beds are turned down, the activity sheet on the bed and the thrill of knowing the next day is a sea day. Sitting on the promenade deck with my Nook watching the ocean go by.

Doesn't get any better.

We really like this positive thread and wanted to like to cruise. We are just off our first cruise and both came off saying,"first and last cruise". Some of our family members booked their next cruise while onboard. We're feleling we missed something or maybe took the wrong ship?

We really like this positive thread and wanted to like to cruise. We are just off our first cruise and both came off saying,"first and last cruise". Some of our family members booked their next cruise while onboard. We're feleling we missed something or maybe took the wrong ship?

Please don't let your experience sour you on what for us, and thousands of others is a vacation lifestyle that is treasured.

Don't know what your demographics are but we are a couple in our mid sixties who were fortunate enough to retire at 58 with a paid off home and a very nice portfolio.

We have sailed on: Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Regent, Princess and Seaborne. Oh, yeah also a Navy swift boat in Vietnam.

There is a big difference between a three day cruise on Carnival from Miami and 14 day cruise through the Norweigan fjords on Celebrity. We have been on both.

Celebrity is our line of choice. They provide us with a gracious and sophisticated vacation experience at a reasonable price. Others prefer any one of these other lines. That's their choice.

You owe to yourself to try one of the lines I mentioned. You may find yourself hooked on cruising for life, like so many others.

As wisely noted above, that initial sail-away, especially from a dramatic port such as Sydney, can be super fun and exciting. See photo "evidence" as shown below. The sail-ins and sail-out from an amazing port such as Venice and other locations can be very magical.

We are focused most on the ports and places where we are visiting. BUT, on the ship, here are four special examples for us:

1. Evening entertainment, especially with a large cast, lots of exciting action, tunes we love, dancing, nice lighting, etc.

2. Doing special ship tours, such as of the Bridge, and learning lots of "inside" insights for ship operations.

3. Special dining and treats such as at the Tuscan Grille.

4. Music/pops programs in a sunny, fun setting such as around the pool areas.

Many more examples, visuals and ideas on my live/blogs. Lots to enjoy and love!! Hard to narrow it down to just one special time or location with these amazing ship visiting world-class locations.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,632 views for this posting.

Here is one of our Cruise Critic group, Mike from Miami, capturing some other Cruise Critic group (good folks from Kansas and South Carolina) during our spectacular sail-away party at the Sunset Bar on the magical 15th level of the Solstice. Such a wonderful location to soak up the spectacular sights during this sail-away.:

SydneyDepartSolstice9_zps1cd6db7a.jpg

Here is a photo highlight from our ship's production show called "Ghostlight--The Spirit of Broadway". Lots of great tunes, including many from the Four Seasons as done on Broadway with Jersey Boys. Nice lighting, staging, sets, etc.

SolsticeShows17_zps45d5d28d.jpg

From our Solstice Bridge Tour, here is an inside view from this glassed over-hang with the ship officer explaining what all of the many buttons, dials and knobs do to control the ship's speed, direction, etc. Plus, you can see many other screens that update all of the key navigating information, etc. Interesting area of the ship!:

TuscanampBridge18_zps315d0e27.jpg

For dining in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice in January while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). The best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu.:

TuscanampBridge1_zps179efed3.jpg

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice in June 2011 when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

Finishing the Muster Drill. That's the last required thing. My time starts immediately after that.

After that, waking up the first morning, stepping out onto the balcony, and realizing I'm somewhere new! Usually, the neighboring balcony has an equally bed-headed person doing the same thing.

I hate debarkation. All lines feel equally abrupt. You've had this fabulous, leisurely time and then everybody is off the boat blinking at each other by 9am, searching for your luggage and figuring out which transport vehicle is yours before that vital second cup of coffee.

My favorite part is all of the interesting and different ports I get to see around the world while only unpacking once. Convenience and value for all of that transportation is why I keep cruising.

Honestly, the cruise ship part of a cruise has lost its luster for me - ships are crowded, run down and dirty in parts, the service and entertainment is only so-so, and the food a shadow of what it once was, IMHO.

Driving up to it, embarking, seeing everything for the first time, exploring the ship, watching the wake off the back of the boat, trying all the foods, being with my hubby and SEA DAYS!

If I have to pick just one thing, it's a sea day by the pool on a comfortable deck chair in a quiet area with a good book and a cold drink.

Honourable mentions.....

1.) Dinner in the MDR with good food and wine combined with lively, witty conversation with newly-made friends, especially the formal nights.

2.) A pre-dinner glass of wine on our balcony watching the sea - also breakfast on the balcony.

3.) Excellent main stage entertainment.

4.) That welcome on board glass of champagne.

5.) A hot band in the skyview lounge that gets the crowd on the dance floor.

I've been digging in my head for my "favorite" part of cruising. It's impossible to pick!!! So I just have to say - everything that has been previously mentioned. From the first sight of your ship waiting at the dock right up until the last day when you have to pack (ugh!) every part of the cruise is glorious.

In all seriousness, all of it. Yes, even when we need to leave the ship to go home.

The reason is that I'm with my wife, making memories, enjoying her company while we're on vacation together. Plus, most of the cruises we have taken we've either celebrated a birthday or anniversary while on board.

The one thing I do not like about the whole process though, has nothing to do with the cruise itself. Dealing with the airport. It's the only PITA thing we need to deal with when we travel.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

I've been digging in my head for my "favorite" part of cruising. It's impossible to pick!!! So I just have to say - everything that has been previously mentioned. From the first sight of your ship waiting at the dock right up until the last day when you have to pack (ugh!) every part of the cruise is glorious.

Having started this thread on my favorite part of cruising guess I should state the WORST part of cruising. Contrary to many it's not the disembarkation process. It's, after ten days in the Caribbean sun, in January, when you fly home to NJ and you open the door to exit the terminal and 30 degree cold drizzly air hits you. Then the drive down the Turnpike past the oil refineries really sends the message home: the cruise is actually and completely over. That's when everyone starts trying to figure out how they can open a beach bar in St. Thomas.

My favorite part is sharing a decadent dessert with DH while star gazing on our balcony at 1 am after a night of fun! :D:D The sound of the waves, the stars and the quiet of the night makes me so happy.

Of course we love arriving the day before the cruise as our vacation has officially begun!!

There is nothing like walking up the gangway and stepping onto the ship...gives me chills thinking about that special moment.

I love sail away, making one or two final calls and then shutting the phone off and completely disconnecting for the next 7-10-14 days..simply amazing.

worst part: travel days. Travel days stink...:cool: