Bringing 'Cards Against Humanity' on a cruise (Celebrity)

Velvetwater

Hi

I was going to post this on the Celebrity board but figured it may be better here for a 'general' view.

Our US friends on our cruise introduced us to this now rather famous, card game and it became so popular on our Carnival Panama cruise that people started saying why they couldn't see it in the events program. It was generally played by a rather large group of us 20/30 somethings with a few older folk joining in occasionally.

We purchased it when we got home and want to bring it on our European Celebrity cruise in August in the hopes we can get a similar crowd going. Different line/crowd so we are not sure...and before people talk badly about Carnival being low class entertainment anyway it has become a popular game amongst many of our social circle which a variety of very educated and smart folk.

The weight of packing is not an issue as we are training it to our port and its smallish.

Anyone think its a good idea or seen it on their cruise?

BTW if you are unfamiliar with it heres a link explaining it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cards_Against_Humanity

Edited by Velvetwater

I went to your Wikipedia link. "...Its title references the phrase "crimes against humanity", reflecting its politically incorrect content..."

If I were a cruise director no way would I put this in the official daily activities program. Enjoy the game with your close friends.

I went to your Wikipedia link. "...Its title references the phrase "crimes against humanity", reflecting its politically incorrect content..."

If I were a cruise director no way would I put this in the official daily activities program. Enjoy the game with your close friends.

It never appeared on the program but because it became quite the event people kept looking for it on the program only to be told by us and the entertainment staff it wasnt on there and would not be but we always tried to play it in the same area so people knew where to find us.

We just want to get a group of people playing in the same spot (regulars hopefully but would welcome all).

Edited by Velvetwater

Introducing it to your roll call and they will decide if the wish to participate sounds like a good idea.. Just the name might turn some away as 'heavier' than they wish to deal with on vacation.

I love Cards against Humanity but it is strictly 18+ imo and not something I would want to play in mixed company. Many things in there that could offend many different kinds of people.

Edited by perditax

....Carnival....low class... a variety of very educated and smart folk.

Education and intelligence has nothing to do with high or low class. There are many educated and intelligent people who would be considered low class - Donald Trump, for one.

From what I know about your game, I wouldn't think it is a good fit for the typical Celebrity passenger.

Education and intelligence has nothing to do with high or low class. There are many educated and intelligent people who would be considered low class - Donald Trump, for one.

From what I know about your game, I wouldn't think it is a good fit for the typical Celebrity passenger.

I wouldn't consider Trump et al you may mention intelligent and educated. At least not my definition of it.I was trying to illustrate the game isn't just for cheap laughs and offending people, but it certainly amuses those with darker/sarcastic senses of humour...especially those in my general age group.

I hadn't thought about the roll call idea, I will mention it next time I post there.

The name of the game sounds too political, too serious for vacation. I would walk away.

you couldn't be further form the truth. do a search. you will find a host of screenshots of combinations. stay well away from the keyboard lest you spew your coffee all over and ruin it

OP if I were on your cruise I would SO insinuate myself into a game with you.

I think a lot of responders don't really know what the game is. Very popular among my son's college friends.

It appeals to my dark sense of humor also. Not for the narrow-minded. I'm sure you'd find at least a few people most anywhere who would enjoy playing.

On the website of the company that make this game, it's described as being for horrible, despicable people. Sorry, not my kind of thing, and doesn't sound like the Celebrity passengers we've met on our 50+ cruises on that line.

Edited by cruisead

I think a lot of responders don't really know what the game is. Very popular among my son's college friends.

It appeals to my dark sense of humor also. Not for the narrow-minded. I'm sure you'd find at least a few people most anywhere who would enjoy playing.

LOL -- Now, I'm intrigued! ;)

You should definitely bring the game! You will find people of all types on board. If someone wants to join they will. Good idea to play in the same area each time to make it easier for others to find you. :)

Maybe in your roll call give a brief description and couple funny examples of card combos so that people get a better idea of the game. ;)

We are bringing a couple of our favorite games (Settlers of Caton and Pandemic) on our cruise and we will enjoy playing them with the family, or if others join!

I discovered this when my son went to PAX and brought a bunch of the cards home. Pretty big with the PAX crowd, eye opening different crowd. Not sure how many of that crowd cruises but I'm sure there are many other types of people that would shock their fellow cruisers whether Carnival, Disney or Seabourn :D

Maybe I'm showing my bias but I think better chance on Carnival :cool:

Edited by chipmaster

On the website of the company that make this game, it's described as being for horrible, despicable people. Sorry, not my kind of thing, and doesn't sound like the Celebrity passengers we've met on our 50+ cruises on that line.

The entire website is tongue in cheek.

It's not my thing but my husband and many friends are fans. People age 40+.

It's really just Apples to Apples but ... vulgar. Usually drinks are involved. A very wide range of people play it. Remarkably popular with attorneys.

Maybe not on HAL or Regent, but I'm sure there are experienced players on a Celebrity cruise.

Edited by cadien

There will always be people who will play and always some who will condemn. Take it. Play it. It is not like you are holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to play. And just because you are on Celebrity doesn't mean that everyone is a stuffed shirt. Crazy, deranged people cruise Celebrity too.;)

My brother brought his copy of Cards Against Humanity on our Celebrity Cruise and it was a riot! Definitely not a game for the easily offended or for those who like things quiet. The whole point is to get combinations that are so far out there that it's hilarious. We were all 40+.

Bring the game. You'll definitely find others interested in playing. And when it starts getting too off color, just move to somebody's cabin.

Wow. Some of my favorite people are considered horrible and despicable.

Sounds like something that would be a lot of fun.

Another fun game we played was "Drunk Jenga". It's regular Jenga, except that random planks are printed with things like "the person on the left takes a drink" or "You have to take a drink". We played it at a table in the Martini Bar, and had lots of onlookers and players.