John Maxtone-Graham

pepperrn

I understand that John Maxtone-Graham sadly passed away yesterday.

His first book, "The Only Way to Cross" was published in 1972. He was writing his latest about the SS United States when he died.

He lectured on board many ships, Cunard vessels amongst them of course.

Reading his numerous books over the years has given me a great deal of pleasure and knowledge: The Only Way to Cross, Liners to the Sun, Cunard: 150 Glorious Years, Queen Mary 2, France/Norway, Normandie and many others.

He will be sadly missed.

Edited by pepperrn

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I had a bad feeling that he had passed away.

I am saddened to hear this. His knowledge of ocean liner history was immense and awe inspiring.

I first came across him on the excellent documentary series 'The Liners' (the best liner doco series every produced in my view).

This makes me wonder what will happen to maintaining discussions of liner history in years to come. All the experts seem to be in their twilight years (or edging towards it). I don't know of any young liner historians out there.

Question is whether there is a place for such people in the future. Has it all been covered by the brilliant Maxtone-Graham and co?

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear this. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him on three different cruises (QE2 in 1996 and 1999 and the maiden voyage of the Royal Princess in 2013). His lectures were wonderful. Also, I have many of his excellent books. John Maxtone-Graham (and Bill Miller) are largely responsible for my interest in ocean liners and cruise ships.

Chuck

Extremely sad news and I have fond memories of listening to him talking us into New York on a cold January morning on the maiden call for Queen Victoria in 2008. I have seen him many times on Cunard over the years. he will be sadly missed. May he RIP.

:(Oh I am so sorry to hear about John’s death. I have many wonderful memories of him over the years but in particular when he invited me to be the Chaplain for the Ocean Liner Museum’s commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the Titanic sinking. I organized a service on one of the NY Harbor dinner cruise boats which included reps of the British consul, the Coast Guard and some descendants of Titanic passengers-the Strauss’ and M. Navatril. We cast a wreath in the water @ Pier 54, then cruised during dinner. After dinner Walter Lord made a great presentation on his further Titanic research. There was an orchestra modeled on that on the Titanic which had played during dinner; and then following Mr. Lord’s research played Song d’Autome which he found was heard from the lifeboats-It was extraordinary and very moving. Everyone agreed THAT was the tune.

May John Rest In Peace and Rise In Glory; and profound condolences to Mary and the rest of his family.

Such sad news.

My husband and I were very lucky to have heard John present informative and interesting talks whilst on board QM2 on a number of occasions. His knowledge and passion for his subject was contagious, and his talks were always one of the highlights of our voyage.

I loved sitting in the theatre listening to his presentations.

R.I.P. John

I have heard him speak many times over the years but one of the most interesting was an unscheduled talk (one of the other speakers was seasick or something and John was asked to fill in). With no notes, no slides and no preparation he spoke for an hour about anything and everything (apart from ships). He talked about his life, his family, places he'd been, people he'd met. Absolutely fascinating.

They used to say that the late Sir Peter Ustinov could have read the phone book and made it interesting. To my mind John Maxtone-Graham was in the same category.

Colin.

What a great loss to the history of the maritime. Thank goodness he wrote all those books.

I had the pleasure of hearing his lectures and several lovely chats with JMG and his lovely wife Mary. He was thrilled to hear I owned 5 of his books and when I introduced him to pepperrn in the Ocean Terminal looked stunned when Pepper stated he owned (at that time) 8 of his books. They are keepers you go back to often.

A while ago when I looked at the scheduled lecturers I wondered why JMG wasn't listed. Perhaps health issued prevented travel. His tome on the QM2 is one of my treasures since it is autographed by him.

This afternoon there is remembering John Maxton-Graham "An invitation to anyone who knew John and would like to share anecdotes" at 5.15 on the QM2. Very fitting as so many of us heard him speak whilst on her.

I am a life-long ocean liner enthusiast and the passing of John Maxtone Graham is like closing the cover after finishing "The Only Way To Cross". We will miss him dearly...and we shall not see the likes of him passing this way again. JMG was an ocean liner genius from his early years onward. He actually "rescued" the ships' wheel from the wreck of the SS Normandie in NY Harbor in 1943...and proudly displayed it in his home in later years.

I first met John and Mary on the stairs of the SS Norway. Ever the gentleman he took the time to stop and chat ships...as I had all of his books. His lectures were superb and his knowledge was astounding. He was "The Dean of The College of Ocean Liners".

Our condolences to Mary and his family...RIP JMG...we will cherish the memories.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I had a bad feeling that he had passed away.

I am saddened to hear this. His knowledge of ocean liner history was immense and awe inspiring.

I first came across him on the excellent documentary series 'The Liners' (the best liner doco series every produced in my view).

This makes me wonder what will happen to maintaining discussions of liner history in years to come. All the experts seem to be in their twilight years (or edging towards it). I don't know of any young liner historians out there.

Question is whether there is a place for such people in the future. Has it all been covered by the brilliant Maxtone-Graham and co?

I am sad to hear of his passing and he did sign his books for me about the QM2, Liners To The Sun & The Only Way To Cross, that I bought. There is still Ocean Liner & Cruise Ship Historian Bill Miller who I saw give lectures aboard QM2. Does anyone here know his age?

I am sad to hear of his passing and he did sign his books for me about the QM2, Liners To The Sun & The Only Way To Cross, that I bought. There is still Ocean Liner & Cruise Ship Historian Bill Miller who I saw give lectures aboard QM2. Does anyone here know his age?

Mid 60s, I think he was born in 47/48

There is Chris Frame for one.