HAL - Seriously, your customer service needs improvement

brentp

An open note to HAL, . . .

As of right now, we will no longer sail with HAL again for a very simply error on your part that you appear you can neither respond to or get fixed.

We sailed the Zaandam on May 31st. Our final bill was checked the day before debarkation - no issues. The final bill on our door was verified to be the same amount as the day before departure. We left the ship thinking all was good.

To our surprise, our credit card was billed a higher amount with no follow up communications. Also, there has been no communications from you or any attempt to resolve this even after repeated requests over the last 4 weeks via both EMAIL and phone to do so.

We can not even obtain an updated statement to verify what the error might be. We are guessing, but not 100% sure, that we were incorrectly (fraudulently is a stronger word that should be used) charge to restock the "mini-bar" items on the room counter removed from our room at our request on Day 1 of the sailing.

Shame, losing future customers because 1) your on-board accounting dept can't keep simply books and 2) your on-shore customer service dept. can't investigate and respond to inquiries in a timely manor (4 weeks is way way too much time for this).

So, the charge has now been disputed and you can deal with the bank directly. From us, there will be no further communications with HAL including any future bookings.

We would like to tell people we had a great sailing with you to Alaska, . . . but unfortunately, we need to tell them the truth on how poor a company HAL is and why we would choose not to cruise with you again. Your loss.

Edited by brentp

An open comment to the OP...

If you were charged incorrectly I truly hope it gets resolved. No one should ever have to pay for anything be it 5 cents or $500 over what they expected and should properly be charged for. I know they handle everything in the order it is received and agree that the timeframe involved is really pushing it with regard to what's reasonable (even considering they have a staff of probably a dozen or so to handle 20,000+ passengers weekly throughout the fleet.)

However, as for the "fraudulently" portion of your letter... with all due respect... get a grip.

Once more I hope you get the resolution you desire.

Kind regards,

Edited by InTheWASide

sorry to hear this and surprised. We had a higher bill once too and I suspected it was the minibar. I emailed and they sent me the mini bar bill within 2 days. A review of it solved the problem and, in actuality, it was correct.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience.

If you were charged incorrectly I truly hope it gets resolved. No one should ever have to pay for anything be it 5 cents or $500 over what they expected and should properly be charged for.

However, as for the "fraudulently" portion of your letter... with all due respect... get a grip.

Once more I hope you get the resolution you desire.

Kind regards,

In fairness, if a company adds a charge to your credit card for goods or services that they did not deliver to you, why wouldn't that be described as fraudulent? The fact that it may be an innocent oversight does not mitigate the fraud involved in receiving payment from the credit card issuer for goods or services that were not provided.

In fairness, if a company adds a charge to your credit card for goods or services that they did not deliver to you, why wouldn't that be described as fraudulent? The fact that it may be an innocent oversight does not mitigate the fraud involved in receiving payment from the credit card issuer for goods or services that were not provided.

It's a credit card transaction... if anything happens incorrectly the card company will of course still process it. You make it sound as though they were still willing to receive the wrong amount even after realizing their mistake. Like they're saying "HAL, are you sure you want to take too much money? You've obviously made a mistake here" and HAL says "Yes. Screw 'em"

Per http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fraud :

"the crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person"

A mistake is not a "dishonest method" and if you need further on that:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/fraud

Edited by InTheWASide

The OP's point is that HAL hasn't responded AT ALL...that's another mistake on their part. Quote Webster all you want...the person has a right, at this point, to be upset.

Re-read my reply. I addressed that. I just take particular issue with some of the OP's wording.

Let me reiterate what I said in a little more blunt way so it can't be missed.

As it appears:

HAL screwed up and charged for something that wasn't used.

OP is accusing HAL of fraud.

HAL's response time sucks as OP hasn't heard anything.

I wished the OP the resolution they desire and sympathized that even all factors considered the timeframe is reaching (or already at) the point of extreme.

I at no point said they weren't allowed to be upset or that a month response time is acceptable.

Per http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fraud :

"the crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person"

InTheWASide - Thank you very much - feel free to jump all over me as the OP in defense of HAL and by redirecting the topic at hand into a topic of definitions. At the end of the day, HAL is the one that has customer service issues that I am simply trying to highlight here.

I think I have a grip of the situation. :)

As for my use of the word fraud (as a secondary statement mind you, and only because they have not responded in 4 weeks), let's look at the facts: a business produces a bill for X and the customers leaves the business believing they agreed and settled on X as the final payment. The business then submits a charge of Y to the customer's bank for payment which is more than X . Well, value has been taken by one from the other, and the means could be considered dishonest in that there was absolutely no follow up communications as to why more was taken than originally agreed to and the business refuses to responds to the customer's inquiries. To me, this meets the definition you quoted so I'm comfortable still in using that word. You might also be interested to know that this appears to be a repeating issue given the data I have found.

A mistake, in my opinion, should be resolved quickly and without herculean efforts to get it resolved. Had this been resolved within the last 4 weeks, this post and would not have been made and we would not be having this discussion.

Maybe our tolerances for the time one should allow for the correction of a mistake is really where are difference are?

Wrong! An innocent oversight is not a fraud by the very definition of fraud. Unfortunately, too many people attach that term to any mistake or action, negligent or otherwise. Receiving payment may be a theft, but not all theft is fraud. Sorry for the lecture, but I hate to see people using legal terms of which they have not the faintest idea.

Wrong! An innocent oversight is not a fraud by the very definition of fraud. Unfortunately, too many people attach that term to any mistake or action, negligent or otherwise. Receiving payment may be a theft, but not all theft is fraud. Sorry for the lecture, but I hate to see people using legal terms of which they have not the faintest idea.

Thank you.

Have you tried putting the charge into dispute and providing your copy of the final bill to your credit card company? The business (HAL) has to provide a documentation to answer the dispute. The money you paid gets held out until there is a resolution. You could lose the dispute, but at least you'll get a response.

Have you tried putting the charge into dispute and providing your copy of the final bill to your credit card company? The business (HAL) has to provide a documentation to answer the dispute. The money you paid gets held out until there is a resolution. You could lose the dispute, but at least you'll get a response.

The OP did mention that... not sure if they realize that in many cases that can take a couple/few weeks as well. Wonder if that will make the credit card company an accessory to fraud or officially mean they are in cahoots with HAL :rolleyes:

Edited by InTheWASide

Shame it is taking so long to resolve the issue. I'm not sure how much higher your bill was than anticipated, but on each of our last 3 cruises we were charged for one mini bar item after our final bill was settled. I actually began to wonder if they did that to everyone just to see who catches it and who doesn't because it happened three times in a row to us! In each case it was charged incorrectly and was credited back to us after one simple phone call to HAL. Unfortunately as a Canadian And foreign transaction fees I lost out in the end anyways because a portion is taken off the top on both the initial charge and the credit. Hope you get it resolved, I'm not sure it is a reason not to sail a particular line, but maybe it was a larger amount and a month with no resolution is pretty unacceptable!

The OP did mention that... not sure if they realize that in many cases that can take a couple/few weeks as well. Wonder if that will make the credit card company an accessory to fraud or officially mean they are in cahoots with HAL :rolleyes:

No need to continue to redirect the topic with your meanness. We disagree - at least, I can respect that others may not share my opinion, . . .

As of right now, we will no longer sail with HAL again for a very simply error on your part that you appear you can neither respond to or get fixed.

We sailed the Zaandam on May 31st. Our final bill was checked the day before debarkation - no issues. The final bill on our door was verified to be the same amount as the day before departure. We left the ship thinking all was good.

To our surprise, our credit card was billed a higher amount with no follow up communications. Also, there has been no communications from you or any attempt to resolve this even after repeated requests over the last 4 weeks via both EMAIL and phone to do so.

We can not even obtain an updated statement to verify what the error might be. We are guessing, but not 100% sure, that we were incorrectly (fraudulently is a stronger word that should be used) charge to restock the "mini-bar" items on the room counter removed from our room at our request on Day 1 of the sailing.

Shame, losing future customers because 1) your on-board accounting dept can't keep simply books and 2) your on-shore customer service dept. can't investigate and respond to inquiries in a timely manor (4 weeks is way way too much time for this).

So, the charge has now been disputed and you can deal with the bank directly. From us, there will be no further communications with HAL including any future bookings.

We would like to tell people we had a great sailing with you to Alaska, . . . but unfortunately, we need to tell them the truth on how poor a company HAL is and why we would choose not to cruise with you again. Your loss.

I bet you'll sail HAL again. If not, have fun on Carnival.

Late minibar charges, whether correct or not, seem to be a problem on many cruise lines, not only HAL. IMO the best way to deal with it is to have the credit card company go to battle for you. It does take time but at least someone else is doing the work with the information you provide them.

I like to be in the cabin when the bar person comes in to check the minibar so I can confirm with him that all is OK.

Sorry. I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

No need to continue to redirect the topic with your meanness. We disagree - at least, I can respect that others may not share my opinion, . . .

I'm over it. As I said in my ORIGINAL REPLY, likely in a fit of meanness :rolleyes: , I hope the matter gets resolved to your liking.

Edited by InTheWASide

OP

Sorry that this has happened to you and you are now turned off from cruising HAL.

3 or 4 times we have gotten home and seen that we were charged for items that we had not used from the mini bar. We called HAL right away and the matter was taken care of right away.

HAL will probably never see your Post.. It's a shame you were overcharged, but I also agree it was not fraud.. It was a mistake.. Did you ask for written receipt/confirmation, when you had the mini-bar removed on arrival.. Did your cabin Steward remove the minibar or did the Beverage Dept. do it? Getting a receipt might be the best thing in the future..

You mentioned you sailed on May 31, but what date did you disembark & what date were you charged?

Unfortunately with large companies such as HAL & many Airlines, it takes 5 or 6 weeks to resolve a claim.. Agree it's a long time, but they have to contact the Hotel Mgr.., who in turn must have the Beverage Mgr. look into it & then the Cabin Steward & the Stewards in charge of re-stocking have to be questioned.. It's also possible the Steward who removed the mini-bar, never reported it. properly.

The time involved is a very long time, but hopefully your credit card company can get this resolved.. BTW don't expect an immediate response from the Credit Card Company either.. That's liable to take weeks..

The time is unacceptable to you especially if you were charged a great deal but that amount of time is normal with many complaints in many large companies..

Hope you will get an answer soon.. Please let us know when you do..

There have been several threads on this type of error over the years. I think it's possible that Hal has some dishonest people working for them. I have been overcharged by bars several times. I was also charged $75 for the mini bar after I got off the ship on one cruise. Since I'm a for star that means $150. I don't think the mini bar holds that.

Op, if you are on Facebook you may want to post on their webpage. That generally gets a response,

Everybody has a point at which they will draw the line. I can understand the OP drawing theirs at this point. HAL is excellent in so many ways. Hopefully they will resolve AND make up for the matter, convincing the OP to erase their line & give them another shot.

brentp - Have they not even sent you an email or something letting you know they are looking into it?