Help with Philadelphia layover.

TinkBellaMom

We have a layover of 7 hours in Philly. Our flight to Venice is a late one. Wondering if it is possible to put carryons in a locker and go to market( don't remember the name) downtown. Is this too much trouble? Just looking for something to do rather than sit, since we will be doing that on a long flight. Thanks!

I assume you are referring to Reading Terminal Market, which has been a landmark destination in Philly for well over 100 years. It's located at 10th and Arch Streets, which is just north and east of City Hall in Center City Philadelphia. It's about a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport if traffic is moving. As far as locker availability at the airport, I can't help you with that--I haven't used that airport in a number of years. But I do know Philly:)

We have a layover of 7 hours in Philly. Our flight to Venice is a late one. Wondering if it is possible to put carryons in a locker and go to market( don't remember the name) downtown. Is this too much trouble? Just looking for something to do rather than sit, since we will be doing that on a long flight. Thanks!

No lockers available in the airport.

The Reading Terminal Market, is only 20 minutes from the airport, it is also a short walk to the Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and the Constitution Center.

The Market would only take about 15-30 mins end to end, and wouldn't really be worth the trip if that is all you were doing, but if you combined the Historic area, you didn't mention the time of day that you were in Philly, that may also be a consideration.

According to the http://www.phl.org website there are no lockers at the airport. Center City is 20-30min by taxi but if you're rolling luggage remember that most of the sidewalks in the historic district are still cobblestone. Also, the Reading Terminal gets very busy so pulling luggage through the stalls and the crowds will be a nightmare.

Due to security concerns, lockers now seem nonexistent at US airports. Maybe rent a car, so you can show bags in trunk. Then you can drive wherever you wish. Or just park the car with the bags in trunk (like a bigger, more expensive locker).

I agree with the idea of a car rental......stow the bags in the trunk, park at a lot and walk. The Historic District is a doable walk from Reading Terminal Market. Another option would be to park in the Museum District and tour some of the world-class museums located along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

http://www.parkwaymuseumsdistrictphiladelphia.org/

If you rent a car, between the rental rate, parking, and depending on the rental company refueling rules. the cost would be $47 for cheapest car, parking in center city $19, the distance between PHL and center city should only use a gallon of gas round trip, so your minimum cost would be $66 for the car, the plus for the car is you would have a place to store your carry on luggage.

The Septa train which would take you from PHL to center city, (Jefferson Station) which is directly below the Reading Terminal Market is $8 per person each way, or pre-purchase the one day pass for $12 per person. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Mac303

There is a Marriott hotel attached to the airport.

I suggest that you call them and see what they say about leaving your small bags in their luggage closet.

That seems like your best bet.

:)

Wow, thanks everyone, I knew this was the place to come for info. We may just rethink my idea of going outside the airport. We will be there on a weekday-tues. I think traffic may be an issue. The last thing I want to worry about is getting back to the airport for an international flight. We were in Philly many years ago, and I remembered the traffic into the city as being heavy.

I would gladly pick you up and take you around the city! we have so much to offer and I love to show off our city! a cab is definately the way to go, though a bit expensive, they are everywhere. the train is very reliable when there's no issue. but who knows when there might be an issue. the reading terminal is a great place to grab a quick bite, walking the museum district and historic district are also great ideas. I'm not too sure what you could do with luggage, as with what was said before, 9/11 changed that luxury. but if you are able to make a quick stop, please do!!

I would gladly pick you up and take you around the city! we have so much to offer and I love to show off our city! a cab is definately the way to go, though a bit expensive, they are everywhere. the train is very reliable when there's no issue. but who knows when there might be an issue. the reading terminal is a great place to grab a quick bite, walking the museum district and historic district are also great ideas. I'm not too sure what you could do with luggage, as with what was said before, 9/11 changed that luxury. but if you are able to make a quick stop, please do!!

Thats very kind of you! We visited a few years ago and loved your city. We took a tram of some kind--if I remember correctly you could buy a ticket and it took you to the main attractions. You could get off and on at leisure. We did get off and went to lunch in the market. Enjoyed it!

My Hubby is a little nervous about leaving the security of the airport. This is our first time traveling to Europe, and he is worried about the time issue.

Maybe a cheesesteak in the airport and a book would be a better idea.:roll eyes:

I would go for it. Minimize the size and weight of carry ons and enjoy Reading Market, the historic district and maybe even a museum. Being only 20 minutes away, with taxi, train, car rental and bus options seems to mitigate most of the worries about making the connection. Seems like you could manage around four hours of Philly time.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Live in the Philly Burbs.

Keep in mind that some of the historical sights probably will not let you in with carry on luggage.

Perhaps jump into a cab and have them give you a quick city tour.

You could then walk thru old city and make a reservation Buddakan for a great meal.

You can pick up a cab and get right back to the airport.

If you are flying in from Fla I think your bags will check through, but of course you would have your carryons to deal with.

We also will be headed to Venice in Oct with a 5 hour layover in Philly but I would be afraid to leave the airport as you would have to go through the security lines all over again and if there's a line could cause you a case of anxiety. Maybe 7 hours would be safer?

Philadelphia will host the World Meeting of Families and Pope Francis in late September. Not sure when traffic detours will begin but it's something to keep in mind.

I hope you do get a little taste of Philly, outside the airport, during your layover. :)

Thats very kind of you! We visited a few years ago and loved your city. We took a tram of some kind--if I remember correctly you could buy a ticket and it took you to the main attractions. You could get off and on at leisure. We did get off and went to lunch in the market. Enjoyed it!

My Hubby is a little nervous about leaving the security of the airport. This is our first time traveling to Europe, and he is worried about the time issue.

Maybe a cheesesteak in the airport and a book would be a better idea.:roll eyes:

I too would be nervous like your husband...So I would probably just walk around the airport to stretch my legs and read a book and people watch :)

Most of the luggage will ever checked , of course. Still, you will want some items in carry on. Valuables and electronics and medications and travel documents of course go in carry on. Plus it is prudent to have enough versatile clothing and enough personal care items to make life bearable should the checked luggage be lost. Small light carryons can be nice, but think it through carefully. Nobody wants their international trip ruined by lost luggage. One can still have a great time with only the items in a well packed carry one plus a few purchases.

Leaving the carryons at the attached Marriott would be a good plan, if one wants to venture out to enjoy the city. My DH would be too nervous to do that, so probably we'd just kill time at the airport. If one can get a pass to one of the airline lounges, the time might pass faster. Wander the terminals. Have a nice meal. Visit the duty free shops.

Instead of the airport Marriot for luggage storage, a possible option would be to take lug the bags on the airport train and (check in advance) store them at the Marriot at 12th and Market. It is right at the SEPTA train stop for the Reading Terminal Market anyway.

Go directly to the airport train to center city, get off at Jefferson station (11th and Market), drop off the bags at Marriot, walk 1 block to the Market, eat (sandwich of choice with some Basset ice cream or a canoli for desert), walk 6 blocks to the Independence Hall area, then grab the bags at the Marriot before taking the train back to the airport.

It cuts out the two trips to the airport hotel, saving 30 minutes or more.

(Tips: Real cheesesteak afficionados eat provolone or American.)

Hi! I'm from Philly, happy to help you :) You can take the train (SEPTA regional rail) from the Airport to Jefferson Station and walk to Reading Terminal Market from there (very very short walk, like a block). The SEPTA train from the airport to Center City runs every half hour (schedule: http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_1.html) and takes a half hour to get to Jefferson. Nearby Reading Terminal, there is a mall called the Gallery, and Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc. are several blocks away (also walkable). Then you would just take the train back to the airport (schedule: http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_0.html). I do not know, however, if the airport has lockers. Make sure to get a cheesesteak and a soft pretzel while you're here! :)