Just Diagnosed with Diabetes

I was just diagnosed with diabetes. I have a cruise scheduled on October. I have purchased the Ultimate drink package. Obviously I will not be able to drink, or at least not enough to pay for the package.

Here's my question. Will RCI possibly transfer that to OBC?

I was just diagnosed with diabetes. I have a cruise scheduled on October. I have purchased the Ultimate drink package. Obviously I will not be able to drink, or at least not enough to pay for the package.

It's early enough that you can cancel the drink package and get a refund to your credit card.

IDK what your personal situation is but DH is diabetic and he gets his moneys worth out of the drink package. There's tons of sugar-free options available.

That did not stop me either, never drank that sweet stuff

Why not?

I'm going to assume you are Type 2 so that will change my questions a bit. My wife has been Type 1 for 27 years and she frequently out drinks me. You just have to know how much to bolus based on the carb count of the drink you're having.

Do you take insulin or is it controlled with diet/pills?

Make sure you meet with a nutritionist who will help you understand what you can and can't eat and drink. Be honest with them, tell them what you had planned to drink. They can help you learn to balance things. A new diagnosis is scary but many, many people cruise with diabetes everyday. You just need to become your own advocate and learn how food and medications affect you so you can make the most of your day to day life.

Why not?

I'm going to assume you are Type 2 so that will change my questions a bit. My wife has been Type 1 for 27 years and she frequently out drinks me. You just have to know how much to bolus based on the carb count of the drink you're having.

Do you take insulin or is it controlled with diet/pills?

I think the op's orig question was could they get their money back or an obc. It was suggested they should call royal to get a refund, I am not sure they are looking for medical opinions from cruise critics experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the op's orig question was could they get their money back or an obc. It was suggested they should call royal to get a refund, I am not sure they are looking for medical opinions from cruise critics experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes how dare anyone offer advice on this forum!

Honestly I am in the very beginning stages of this. I don't know much about it. I have not even seen a dietician yet.

Everything I have read says I can't drink. I know it can be a dangerous disease and I want to take care of myself better than I have been. The last thing I want is to go into a diabetic coma on a cruise ship and end up in a Jamaican hospital.

Those of you that answered my question, thank you. I really just wanted to know if I could get my money back.

The OP could try this trial and be diabetes free before the cruise:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/tv-special-shows-diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes

Its a UK National Health Service sponsored trial. My OH was diagnosed as type 2, 2 years ago, followed the diet and has been classed as non diabetic since. It only took 4 weeks for his blood sugar levels to normalise. Diabetes does not have to be for life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly I am in the very beginning stages of this. I don't know much about it. I have not even seen a dietician yet.

Everything I have read says I can't drink. I know it can be a dangerous disease and I want to take care of myself better than I have been. The last thing I want is to go into a diabetic coma on a cruise ship and end up in a Jamaican hospital.

Those of you that answered my question, thank you. I really just wanted to know if I could get my money back.

Everybody's medical situation is different and I don't say your medical condition is worse then or better than mine. That said I was diagnosed with type 2 about six months ago. I take 750mg of metformin. Sugar level have been in the 140 range. On our recent cruise to Bermuda we had the beverage package. I drank like a fish. Couple of piña Colodas, couple of rum punch, couple of margaritas and couple of glasses of wine at dinner.

Combined with carrot cake, cookies, waffles every morning and ice cream after lunch. Then came dinner................

Never went into a coma. The only thing that happend was my wife's yelling at me after every drink and cookie.

Did get back on the straight and narrow when we got back though.

As long as you are at least 4 days prior to cruise you can cancel the package.

I have type II diabetes as well. Do see your nurse/dietitian before much longer. Do exercise at least 3 times a week. Have your kidneys checked as well.

If you wait until you are on board get it cancelled as soon as you are on board (do not use it even once). It will go to your account as OBC but they will keep the first day amount (sometimes).

It is best to cancel it now and get your refund on your CC. You could get the replenish Package (N-Alcoholic everything include). It will have your fresh squeezed OJ. Your occasional flavoured coffee. Plus all the bottled water you want and diet pop from the machine.

Alcohol is basically pure sugar...so diabetics DO have to be mindful! You can cancel the package....

Just for your edification Alcohol is ethanol and is not sugar. It does not respond to insulin and is metabolized differently than sugar is. Now most of the mixers are high in carbohydrates, but alcohol is not. In fact a zero carb drink is a rum and diet coke. except for the small amount of residual sugar in the rum there are no carbs in that drink.

Hi there,

You've already been advised on the answer to your question and I have a little advice for you, if you don't mind. Please know that this is not a death sentence or anything morbid like that. This is a time to make lifestyle changes and you can only go "up" from here. I am also diabetic and do decline most alcohol, but have maintained a healthy lifestyle and weight since my diagnosis over five years ago. I have been on many cruises since then, too. :)

To get you started, there are two excellent threads running in another forum which will give you lots of information. Many diabetic members contributed and have given excellent advice on cruising and living with diabetes. I would agree that seeing a dietician and/or taking a diabetes education class is key. It will help you read food labels, count carbohydrates (not calories or sugar grams, as many people would say), and understand what you should and perhaps should not eat. Here are the links, and best to you. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361583&highlight=diabetes

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1864615&highlight=diabetes

Just for your edification Alcohol is ethanol and is not sugar. It does not respond to insulin and is metabolized differently than sugar is. Now most of the mixers are high in carbohydrates, but alcohol is not. In fact a zero carb drink is a rum and diet coke. except for the small amount of residual sugar in the rum there are no carbs in that drink.

Thank you, on behalf of diabetics. Seriously, some people do not get it and spread false information because they think they are right, or maybe they just don't know.

It's not the end of the world - I know I was a bit floored and off kilter with my diagnosis but that was 5 yrs ago. The first few months, you will feel like crap until your sugar levels out. Don't forget to ask your cabin steward for a small sharps container for your lancets and used strips. I always take two meters and backup batteries. I'd keep the drink package. As a matter of fact - I usually purchase one. :D

Enjoy your trip:)

S

I think we're here as a family and should not only answer the question but offer advice if one can. I don't have it, but my sister does and I never really understood how dangerous it is to have and you have to watch the numbers and really learn what to eat and exercise. I also didn't understand what other problems can occur if you don't take care of yourself. My sister is in bad bad shape and it's b/c she just didn't take care of herself. Hope you enjoy your cruise and learn as much as you can.

Thank you, on behalf of diabetics. Seriously, some people do not get it and spread false information because they think they are right, or maybe they just don't know.

LOL - this poster posts false information on just about every subject on these boards, but never returns to see that it is wrong.

Another Type II diabetic here. I am assuming you're Type II - Type I is a very different matter (that's the one where you have to inject insulin from the very beginning, and is also the one that can be life-threatening in the short term, if not properly managed).

Assuming you have Type II, which is by far the most likely if you haven't even seen a dietician yet, you can stop worrying about "going into a coma". The effects of high blood sugar are much more insidious than that - nothing dramatic is going to happen, but your organs, nerves and blood vessels will very slowly accumulate damage all the time that your blood sugar is too high. You'll also feel tired, crappy and might be peeing a lot/thirsty. That's why you want to work to get it back to normal as soon as you can - by reducing sugar and empty carbs, and if possible by exercise, and maybe by medication if your doctor recommends it.

Alcohol per se is less of an issue than the stuff you put with it. Juices, non-diet soda, pina colada mixes, fruit smoothies - that's the stuff you probably should be avoiding. Beer and wine do have sugar as well, but are less dire for your blood sugar levels than fruit juice and sugary soda. (Actually - shhh! - alcohol can lower your blood sugar a bit, but that isn't a good medical reason to over-indulge).

Whether you cancel your drinks package probably depends on what sort of things you were planning to use it for. If you'd enjoy, say, a rum and diet coke, or a vodka and slimline tonic (avoid normal tonic - stuffed with sugar), then I think there's no harm in indulging. The things I'd really stay away from are the frozen sweet cocktails (unfortunately for me - I love those!).

[And yes, actually, before anyone asks - I *am* a doctor :p]

(Actually - shhh! - alcohol can lower your blood sugar a bit, but that isn't a good medical reason to over-indulge).

So glad you posted this. While I know it's true (straight alcohol without sugary things can actually lower the BSL a bit ), I've always feared to say it on CC.

LuLu

LOL - this poster posts false information on just about every subject on these boards, but never returns to see that it is wrong.

Agreed, hon. I know it too well. *sigh*

[And yes, actually, before anyone asks - I *am* a doctor :p]

Thank you so much for your contribution here, and for confirming what we have been saying. It is appreciated. Once this patient is educated and makes the necessary lifestyle changes, s/he will feel so much better and will live for many more years, cruising happily! :)