Finally booked an aft

Thanks Bob! Would you say it was enough vibration to deter you from the aft in the future? I have been reading some negatives about Explorer since dry dock in regard to over crowding and motion. It takes a lot to rattle me, so I know my Alaskan cruise will be amazing next summer, but as I stated previously, I want everyone else in our party to be happy. THANKS!

There is some vibration as mentioned before, especially when pulling into port. But it only lasts a few minutes and then it is over.

What do you mean about overcrowding? Unless people are complaining that there are too many people on the ship they might prefer smaller ships with less people. Explorer is a large ship and since you are sailing during the summer there will also be more people (and kids) on the ship (one reason why we like to cruise in April and October when the kiddies are all in school). Also, it will feel crowded on those sea days if you venture into the public areas. But just be prepared for it and don't let it stress you out. Those are the days you will want to have your meals by room service out on your balcony or eat in the dining room. The Windjammer will be a zoo and it will be hard to find a seat because once people get a table they often refuse to leave once they finish eating (a pet peeve of mine during the dining hours when other people are trying to find a seat to eat their own meals).

I've had both 7388 and 7688 and they are WONDERFUL. Do NOT give them up for anything else. They will really make your cruise special. Enjoy!

Edited by Teeara

I don't really enjoy the aft staterooms that much. Their big attraction is the huge balcony, and that's not a big enough draw for me to overcome the long walk back to the stateroom. In other words, the vibration is just another negative to me, in addition to the long walk, either of which deters me from getting an aft stateroom.

We've always booked "center hump" for the same reasons - love the location and not a long walk to the cabin. But we finally caved and booked an aft just to check it out for once, 1388 on Adventure next winter. The "aft lovers" here rave about those cabins....... We were intrigued that it's a larger cabin similar to a junior suite. All that said, we still went back to our hump cabin on Navigator for 2017:D

We've always booked "center hump" for the same reasons - love the location and not a long walk to the cabin. But we finally caved and booked an aft just to check it out for once, 1388 on Adventure next winter. The "aft lovers" here rave about those cabins....... We were intrigued that it's a larger cabin similar to a junior suite. All that said, we still went back to our hump cabin on Navigator for 2017:D

Basically, same thing happened to us. Booked a couple of afts, enjoyed the large balcony, but we're back to side-facing balconies near the elevator lobbies.

Basically, same thing happened to us. Booked a couple of afts, enjoyed the large balcony, but we're back to side-facing balconies near the elevator lobbies.

We figured we've gotta' try the famous afts at least once. Only cruise lovers could be divided between "aft" and "hump".......... :D

Edited by bouhunter

Well, after reading many posts regarding aft cabins, we finally decided to give them a try. Just booked 2 corner afts (7388 and 7688) on deck 7 of the Explorer for Alaska next summer. After looking at pictures and watching videos, we decided the corner balconies looked to be the best. Rather than book 2 afts beside each other we took both corners of deck 7. Our children still like the idea of looking down at the water, so they are in the D3 cabins close to ours. Hope we will love them!

You will hate it. You need to cancel immediately and get a couple of nice midship cabins.... I have only been aft on 80% of my last cruises. They forced me back there... it is horrible...:D

jc

We too just booked our first aft for September, 2016 for 29 days! A b2b Vancouver, B.C. to Hawaii to Sydney! So excited! :D

What an itinerary! If I was you, I'd be impatiently waiting, as well! :D

We figured we've gotta' try the famous afts at least once. Only cruise lovers could be divided between "aft" and "hump".......... :D

Yup, they pulled me in, too. I just booked my first aft balcony on Freedom. I've had a few balconies before, they didn't overly impress me. I figure if this doesn't sell me completely, then I'll know I'm just more of a save your money, sail in insides, do more cruises kind of girl. :D

As others have said, I would go with a hump cabin on the ships that have deep balconies. I tend to wander back to cabin several times a day and hate the long walk. That being said, we do have an Aft JS for an 11 night southern on Radiance in 2017

Edited by John&LaLa

We have out first aft on our upcoming explorer of the seas trip.... 1388.... A little apprehensive as we usually prefer to be in mid ship around the hump and on a middle deck to try and minimise any movement!

BUT I love watching the wake and am hoping to spot some sea life following us through BOB, so fingers crossed, it will all be smooth sailing! [emoji2]

We have a corner aft on Brilliance of the Seas (Feb 2016) CANT WAIT !!

HAVE FUN !!

What deck? some of those corner afts on that class of ship aren't as nice as other's size wise.

Jimbo:)

• 2 months later...
Havent been on the corners but the one in with the sliding door we enjoy leaving open. Any issues with propping the door open?

I understand leaving the door open for a prolonged period can put a strain on the air conditioning. At least that's what the notice posted by the door, read. ;)

I know this is an old thread but have to add my aft cents:

Getting older now would rather have a hump, but still LUV the aft...and for Alaska nothing else will do: Click on this pic

Ketchikan%20Sunrise-M.jpg

When leaving Hubbard, we had the best seat in the house and saw calving no one else saw for 30 minutes as we exited the bay:

2yknei1.jpg

That's why we booked Solstice deck 9 mid aft for our next Alaska:D

Edited by BecciBoo

We have 7388 booked for Sept. 2, 2016 to Alaska. We've have midship balcony before but this is our first aft. We hope the balcony is large enough to hang out on with the rest of the family joining us on this cruise. Son will be getting married in Juneau and so far we have 10 people with booked cabins. Soooo excited.