Largest Jump by the Upgrade Fairy?

fischymom

I was upgraded from a Category I oceanview to the Family Junior Suite on Grandeur a few years back.

I'm guessing that the fact that the sailing was at about 50% capacity on a repositioning cruise from Miami to Panama had something to do with it.

We've been upgraded many times from the minimum category by booking guarantees, especially category gty like Z inside, Y OV and X balcony. We typically book late close to or after the final payment date.

Best upgrade for us was for a 14 night Caribbean X cruise where we booked a Z inside gty for $999US each or about $70 night, and got a top category mid-ship balcony assigned.

What upgrade fairy? She has never even made any sort of overtures towards me.

I am convinced that she simply does not exist, and any stories about people being upgraded are figments of their imagination ;)

D1 to OS. It was during the time the Mariner changed itinerary from Mexico to Canada I think it was some flu outbreak. The ship was very empty. We also rebooked for Mexico later that year and they gave us a GS instead of a D1. One other time I got a JS for a D1.

D1 to OS. It was during the time the Mariner changed itinerary from Mexico to Canada I think it was some flu outbreak. The ship was very empty. We also rebooked for Mexico later that year and they gave us a GS instead of a D1. One other time I got a JS for a D1.

That was a one of a kind situation. We were on one of those re-directed swine flu cruises and got $600 OBC to stay on the cruise.

• 1 month later...

On HAL took an upsell VH balcony to a SA (Neptune) suite.

Princess we had a mini suite and were upgraded to a full suite. 6 cruises on Princess, three upgrades.

Edited by SadieN

Over 10 years ago, we were upgraded from a D1 to a GS on Adventure of the Seas. We were never even told about the upgrade. We found out after we were on the ship and our key card didn't work in the door of the original cabin. (This was before everything was online)

Now I guess they tell you at the check-in. Our only visit was our very last cruise D1 balcony to JS, just one level I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

On Cunard moved from an inside cabin to an obstructed view balcony. We didn't know until we got to check-in when the lady behind the desk simply said 'you've been moved'. She smiled, handed us the key and sent us on our way.

We assumed it would be either a bigger cabin or perhaps an outside view so you can imagine our delight at opening the door and seeing a balcony. Brilliant. :D

Last year on NCL Breakaway, went from studio room to GTY Mini-suite(room was above the Blues club - didn't mind because, well, it was an free upgrade[emoji11] ). Had to call the upgrade fairy myself because she definitely wasn't calling me after that massive price drop.....[emoji58]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Just wondering what the largest category jump anyone has gotten from the upgrade fairy?

On our first Alaskan cruise we went from an Oceanview to a Verandah (from a G partially obstructed to a VB verandah). On our last cruise we were upgraded from the lowest verandah category (7A) to the highest (4A).

Cheapest inside GTY to an extended balcony on Princess. Score! From a Promenade to a E1 balcony on RCCL. Presently waiting to see what NCL might come up with - I sail the Pearl Pacific Coastal next Monday and there are still TONS of cabins in every category and I haven't received any assignment.

My worst upgrade would have been (if I'd accepted it) from an Cat. K inside to a Cat. H oceanview on RCCL. No thanks. I'll keep my well-located inside rather than taking a porthole in the far forward wasteland of Deck 2 anytime.