Host Andy Sails Oasis of the Seas (Review Added 7/29/15)

BEAV

While some things can't be compared things like the cabin (if you have booked a similar class ) cabin stewards and of course food can....

Thanks for sharing with us...

Thank you Beav for thinking of me.

It's kind of interesting, in that when we sail on Celebrity, we feel like we know every inch of the ship. On Oasis, I didn't spend a great deal of time researching the ship - and that was on purpose... as I wanted to experience everything Oasis has to offer, like it's a surprise. The only thing I did in advance, was to book the shows, and a couple of Specialty Dining (Chops & Izumi).

While we totally love Celebrity, it should be fun to try a new experience.

By the way, I'm purchasing the unlimited Internet package, so I will be around, and keeping an eye out for alerts.

Question for my Celebrity friends.... Would you like me to post some updates while onboard ? I don't see how it's possible to "compare" any Celebrity ship to Oasis, but I'd be happy to share my insights.

Please let me know. Thanks everyone !

Hi CruisingChick,

It's a reportedly *awesome* roast beef sandwich - Im unsure if it's on All RCCL ships, but it's definitely on the Oasis class. I will be having my first one, at about 1 pm tomorrow :)

Here's a cool video about the Kummelweck sandwich. http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/304/a-sensational-sandwich-royal-caribbeans-kummelweck-tantalizes-guests/#ooid=IwZWkwODq4F83hro2RPof-7V4ZWjUB40

The park ave cafe ( I think that was the name where they have the yummy roast beef sandwiches ) use to be a great place for lunch on embarkation day as it took awhile for people to learn of it ( as opposed to the Windjammer ) they have great salads that you have them build for you. Another gem is by the basketball courts they have a great spot for hot dogs, pizza, chili, nachos etc! Enjoy it is a great ship with the best entertainment at sea!

Andy, yes, please come back and share your thoughts. DH & I have not been on the RCL big ships yet....last one we were one was Freedom of the Seas and that was many years ago...since then have been only on Celebrity.

Safe travels.

Amy

Hi Everyone,

As soon as we get settled in, I will post some updates on this thread. Of course, there's a lot to see and learn in the first couple of days.... so please don't be disappointed if I do not post until Monday or so - but I will try for sooner.

Thanks again for all your great feedback, and well wishes. I sincerely appreciate it !

Kummelweck.... er.... I mean Oasis, here we come ! :)

Be sure to go to the back of Deck 11 (I think). There is a great outdoor viewing area of the wake and all the activities going on at the diving pool. It's kind of a hidden small viewing area and very relaxing. It is a great place to view the water show if you do not have tickets for the seating area.

Thanks G&N. We're in a Boardwalk View Cabin on Deck 11, so I will be sure to check it out !

Mr. Andy,

Have a nice cruise. :)

Thanks Ed. I will be sure to share a Waffle comparison - curious to see if they use the same recipe as Celebrity. Nothing beats Celebrity's waffles ! Will Oasis come close ? We'll see :)

Yes please. :D. We've never been on the big ships.....looking forward to your updates.

Will you be starting a new thread?

Hi Midwestchick,

We've never been on a ship of this size either. I'm very curious to see for myself, all the great things I've heard over the past few years. Should be interesting to say the least !

I think it's best to use this thread. Hope that works for everyone. Please stay tuned.

Edited by Host Andy

Andy

we enjoyed Giovanni's table...it offers nice family dining..... also the solarium cafe at night ....a nice surprise...nice menu, tablecloth service, etc...

Enjoy!

Thank you for your insights Hcat. I also heard from a dear friend today, and said not to miss Giovanni's table. Until today - I thought we'd skip Giovanni's.... but I'm now reconsidering.

I know we'd like to do Chops - but should we do Izumi, or replace it with Giovanni's table ? If you've dined at Izumi, and can share your thoughts on this, please let me know, and thanks !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Andy, if you could find out if they have them On Liberty. We are sailing on her in October.

I will be thinking about you at 1 PM tomorrow.

Thanks for the link to the video.

Don't eat TOO much. LOL.

Thanks CruisingChick. I will ask about Liberty for you.

Thank you for your insights Hcat. I also heard from a dear friend today, and said not to miss Giovanni's table. Until today - I thought we'd skip Giovanni's.... but I'm now reconsidering.

I know we'd like to do Chops - but should we do Izumi, or replace it with Giovanni's table ? If you've dined at Izumi, and can share your thoughts on this, please let me know, and thanks !

Giovanni's table...this was our favorite place to eat. With that beautiful prosciutto machine on display.

Enjoy! Oasis is spectacular and an engineering marvel. We enjoyed it so much we didn't care if it pulled 10 feet from the pier and dropped anchor for the week.

Edited by mickeysgal

Hi Andy ~ just missed you on Oasis by a couple of weeks. Bummer! Would have been so much fun to see you. Been on Oasis twice. Enjoyed the first time much more than this one (for a wide variety of reasons). A couple of things we realized - we're done with mega ship sailings. The S-class ships are big enough for us. While we haven't been overly thrilled with our last few experiences on Celebrity ships, we're looking forward to our next cruise on Equinox!

Be sure to enjoy the Diamond Lounge on Deck 11. It's a really nice spot where you can get away from the crowds. The Chef's Table is a wonderful experience, too.

Have a great time. I'll be watching to see what you think.

ENJOY

Be sure to go to the back of Deck 11 (I think). There is a great outdoor viewing area of the wake and all the activities going on at the diving pool. It's kind of a hidden small viewing area and very relaxing. It is a great place to view the water show if you do not have tickets for the seating area.

The secret balconies are no longer there. After the revamp, they reconfigured that particular area and added more cabins :mad:. Andy will still have a wonderful time though, exploring a mega ship like she is. We loved Oasis that much (and we didn't think we would), we decided to book Harmony for next year. The shows are awesome - not to be missed ;).

But the area right behind Aqua Pool is still there(deck 6) almost nobody goes there... and another seating area on the jogging track (deck 5) with teak loungers at the aft puts you really close to the wake. Spent a lot of time here, the sound of the water was wonderful!

fy0e34.jpg

Andy, run don't walk

to Park Cafe for the sandwich the minute you board! And do NOT miss Park 150, best meal I have ever had at sea!

Edited by BecciBoo

I loved the Oasis class ships for several reasons.

*Never felt crowded with the exception of shows letting out at the main theater but that's usually the case on most ships.

*Specialty dining choices. Loved Giovanni's.

*Entertainment. Best that I have experienced on a ship

After making the move to X a few years ago I have no desire to cruise on RCI again. X fits what we're looking for in an overall cruise experience. I love the Solstice class ships. I will be interested in seeing the new Edge design.