Does Princess Give Prizes for Trivia?

dilly25

Caribill....

First, I really need to tell you how impressed I am with the knowledge you have regarding just about everything (except "can you do what the crew do!".) I have learned so many interesting facts from you. Thanks!!

I'm really excited to give you a brief rundown on this game. It's held in the Piazza. Two teams of 3 each. First task is to be a black jack dealer. Second task is to make a pizza (you were close). Third task is for the first two team members to stuff as many balloons in overalls worn by the third team member.

I made the pizza. A crew member from the pizza station is a judge. Have to wear a chefs hat, use tons of flour and through the dough in the air.

It lots of fun with everyone cheering for the teams. Oh yea, the dancers come and teach each team a dance to finish the show off.

You really earn that T-shirt which says I won Princess Peer Factor.

Pam

Edited by EightFurryPaws

If your team wins sham-pain and actually wants to share/drink it, all they have to do is ask the bar waiter if he can exchange the bottle for a cold one and bring them a setup of six glasses. I've had them do that (although it is really bad stuff, or was the last I sipped, maybe a dozen years ago).

M.

We won the Newlywed Game in the main Princess Theatre, and we got a bottle of champagne. Although...technically I think we won two bottles--my wife downed an entire bottle while we were up front! :eek:

Only 2 bottles? Hell when we got roped into playing the game, I personally went though a bottle and a half all by myself....I don't know how much DW had, and neither does she! and I really really don't like or drink Champagne. But if we are going to make fools of ourselves, and Princess is supplying, we sucked down all we could while we were onstage. On a side note, it was formal night so after the Newlywed game we took the BEST formal pictures ever....of course, we could barely walk.

If your team wins sham-pain and actually wants to share/drink it, all they have to do is ask the bar waiter if he can exchange the bottle for a cold one and bring them a setup of six glasses. I've had them do that (although it is really bad stuff, or was the last I sipped, maybe a dozen years ago).

M.

Although there have been many cutbacks in the cruise industry including on Princess, you can be assured that the quality of this "sham-pain" has not decreased. It is just "really bad stuff" as it was a dozen years ago, no worse.

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2015 at 6:44 AM, Homosassa said:

Don't play for the prizes. The days of the better prizes are long gone.

A prize today will consist of a key ring (with built in mini LED flash light). Still a lot more useful then a cheap plastic ship on a stick or "medal" given out on another cruise lone.

That being said, on a longer cruise (7 days or more) as the trivia games shake out to certain teams having an abundance of key rings, a water bottle or cheap sparkling wine may be offered.

My kids and I live for those ships on a stick. We collect one by winning a trivia contest on all of our sailings. We have a shelf in the house we use to display them all to remind us of the adventure on that particular ship. 

Frankly, we are very sad to hear that’s not an option for Princess and while we LOVE trivia, if the ship n a stick is not an option, we will probably only do one contest and spend our time on board with other things.

Edited by ks_family
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2015 at 2:36 PM, caribill said:

How is that game played?

I assume you do not have to clean a cabin or plate a pizza.

Everyone forms teams of about 5-6 people. A trivia question is asked and team members quietly let their answer be know to each other without other teams hearing. Someone writes the agreed upon answer on the formal answer sheet. After about 20 questions sheets are exchanged between teems to be scored. Winning team gets the big prizes.

3 hours ago, ks_family said:

My kids and I live for those ships on a stick. We collect one by winning a trivia contest on all of our sailings. We have a shelf in the house we use to display them all to remind us of the adventure on that particular ship. 

Frankly, we are very sad to hear that’s not an option for Princess and while we LOVE trivia, if the ship n a stick is not an option, we will probably only do one contest and spend our time on board with other things.

I also really like those ships on a stick. And I like competing as an individual as opposed to as a team member. But, I'll still check out the trivia on our upcoming Princess cruise.

12 hours ago, denmarks said:

Everyone forms teams of about 5-6 people. A trivia question is asked and team members quietly let their answer be know to each other without other teams hearing. Someone writes the agreed upon answer on the formal answer sheet. After about 20 questions sheets are exchanged between teems to be scored. Winning team gets the big prizes.

The question was about the game " Could you do what the Crew do?" which has been answered in post #26.

22 hours ago, denmarks said:

??? What ships have you been sailing on recently? 

On 7/17/2015 at 10:31 PM, partybarbie said:

Some of the trivia prizes are pretty nice. In the past I have won a fanny pack, a picture frame, an umbrella, a coffee mug, a water bottle and the sparkling wine. Some of the cheaper prizes that I still like were the Princess logo pens and the magnet potato chip clips for the fridge. I also have luggage tags and mini-flashlights. It's kind of a "crap shoot" on what you might win.

The mini flashlights are cool. Played with table mates on a SA cruise. The wife wanted flashlights for her whole family at home, so we HAD to win! LOL

Hi D & B,

Didn't realize it was you guys I was quoting. Have you done anymore wine tasting?

Edited by TheRabbit
  • Like 1

Recently on the Star, the prizes were usually coasters, wine stoppers, and stainless steel water bottles. 

There was one instance of a guest yelling at the cruise staff because she thought her answer was correct. She would not shut up. So I yelled out that she needed to calm down, and that it was just trivia. She did shut up after that. I think people need to be called out for their bad behaviour. 

I also had one guy accuse me of cheating, saying that I googled an answer. Buddy, I don't get wi-fi, on the ship, and I certainly wouldn't bother using it to win a Princess Coaster...

The best thing I ever received for winning a trivia game (Name That Tune) was a bottle of Dom Pe’rignon  Champagne. 
On the Coral Princess in 2007.  The piano player entertainer paid for it. My wife and I had 19 out of the 20 songs.

Tony

F46A7F2F-57C3-47BC-B639-A848A08C9FC9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, TheRabbit said:

The mini flashlights are cool. Played with table mates on a SA cruise. The wife wanted flashlights for her whole family at home, so we HAD to win! LOL

Hi D & B,

Didn't realize it was you guys I was quoting. Have you done anymore wine tasting?

We're just home from 30 days on the Emerald.  We spent a lovely morning at a bodega in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.  They served us local cheese, fresh baked bread, and wine, lol. 🙂

On 11/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, denmarks said:

Wow! Someone from Chico. I was beginning to think we were the only ones here...

We often play with just the two of us. Sometimes we join with others when they ask. We've won the sparkling wine a number of times. We've also won a metal Princess water bottle my wife still uses, and I like the nice wine bottle topper I won. Oh, we have a "fabulous" set of 6 plastic Princess coasters, too. Fortunately we never won one of those giant foam fingers.

Edited by Thrak

I was on a recent cruise where for the first week every trivia I attended was won by the same group with 20 out of 20.

It took us a while, but eventually we found out that this group had been aboard the ship at that stage for 7 weeks and was apparently doing the whole season. They had a huge bundle of papers where they had written down every question and answer that had been asked during the time that they had been aboard.

I asked them directly not to use notes and they told me to mind my own business. I then told the host in charge of the next trivia that this made the whole exercise completely pointless and he said, "what can I do? they pay my salary". So the same group got 20/20 again. After that trivia, he did agree to create a new set of trivia questions for next time. At the next trivia they got 14/20 and someone else won. Unfortunately that particular trivia host was only one of three and so the cheaters mostly continued their winning "streak". I don't believe during the rest of that cruise, that they won a single trivia that used fresh questions.

The prize that they were so willing to cheat for was, of course, coasters.

I was also surprised when I attended the most traveled passengers event, that the most traveled couple turned out to be part of the cheaters group.

On 7/18/2015 at 4:44 AM, dilly25 said:

To All Princess Experts/Frequent Cruisers,

Does Princess award any prizes for their trivia contests?

Thanks for your assistance.

The official announcement given by the compere at trivia quizzes is usually:  "The winners will get a ship prize" they sometimes offer clarification on spelling for people who are a bit deaf.

Regards John

• Haha 1

The cheaters must be really sad and pathetic people -- we enjoy winning, but we would get no pleasure out of cheating.

We were B2B on a Carnival cruise once and DW and I won the progressive trivia for the week.  Nice prizes, bottle of wine, a watch, cookbook, T-shirts and other trinkets.  We were looking forward to playing again the next week.  We were bummed when we went the next cruise and found them asking the same questions.  We sadly left --- what fun would it possibly be win again that way?  

48 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

The cheaters must be really sad and pathetic people -- we enjoy winning, but we would get no pleasure out of cheating.

We were B2B on a Carnival cruise once and DW and I won the progressive trivia for the week.  Nice prizes, bottle of wine, a watch, cookbook, T-shirts and other trinkets.  We were looking forward to playing again the next week.  We were bummed when we went the next cruise and found them asking the same questions.  We sadly left --- what fun would it possibly be win again that way?  

Wow, it's really surprising that carnival outdoes Princess with those gifts. Admittedly there not great but compared to a coaster or carabiner they're something I wold use.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Wow, it's really surprising that carnival outdoes Princess with those gifts. Admittedly there not great but compared to a coaster or carabiner they're something I wold use.

That was for winning the progressive that ran for the whole cruise.  The daily prizes were the infamous "Solid Gold Ship on a Stick"  😀

We usually give these away to other players, especially if they have kids with them  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqSkrCjB2Qidupp3Wicxz

8 minutes ago, AlanFromFL said:

Won a bottle of Cheap Ship Champagne a few years ago at one of the game shows, it's still sitting on top of the fridge, will probably open it one of these days if I need to strip some paint or kill weeds! 😁

Hi Alan,

You should not make fun of that Champagne. The Boys in the boiler room work very hard every Tuesday making it fresh for us to enjoy 😳😁😁😁.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Haha 1