What to wear?

I know that there were many questions about the dresscode.

We are on the Rotterdam next weekand i am still ask myself what can i wear in the mdr on casual nights?

Jeans,t-shirt?

I know on formel nights we cannot wear jeans or T-shirts.

Than we will have diner in the lido.

I'm not a member of the "fashion police", but jeans and T-shirts are not "smart casual", the dress code for the MDR on non-gala nights.

Men should wear khakis or slacks with a polo shirt or short-sleeved dress shirt. Women should wear slacks or capri pants with a blouse, a skirt and blouse, or a simple dress.

We just got off a cruise on the Eurodam and this what everyone was wearing in the MDR on smart casual nights.

Edited by GradUT

Jeans are not prohibited, so long as they are not "distressed"---which is torn, faded, holes in the knees (or elsewhere :eek:).

T-shirts are specifically prohibited by the dress code. Collared knit shirts, such as a golf shirt, are appropriate.

Evening dress on nights other than formal is termed "smart casual", which is a little dressier than "casual".

Edited by RuthC

I know that there were many questions about the dresscode.

We are on the Rotterdam next weekand i am still ask myself what can i wear in the mdr on casual nights?

Jeans,t-shirt?

I know on formel nights we cannot wear jeans or T-shirts.

Than we will have diner in the lido.

Hoi Marcel, voor 'casual' avonden in de eetzaal op de Rotjeknor kan je gewoon je jeans aan houden met een leuk shirt met een kraagje er bij., zoiets als een polo shirt kan ook. T-shirts horen daar eigenlijk niet bij en die kan je beter, zoals je zegt, in het Lido s'avonds aan. Je kan jeans in de MDR ook aflossen met een wat mooiere langere broek van licht materiaal die wij hier 'Dockers' noemen. Heb een leuke tijd op Holland America's co-vlaggeschip volgende week! :) / Hi Marcel, for casual nights in the MDR on the RTDM je are allowed to wear jeans in combo with a collared shirt like a polo shirt. T-shirts are not really a part of that but you can wear those at night, like you mentioned, in the Lido. You can also switch wearing your jeans in the MDR with light weight material long pants we call 'dockers' here. Have a great time on HAL's co-flag ship next week! :)

I'm not a member of the "fashion police", but jeans and T-shirts are not "smart casual", the dress code for the MDR on non-gala nights.

Men should wear khakis or slacks with a polo shirt or short-sleeved dress shirt. Women should wear slacks or capri pants with a blouse, a skirt and blouse, or a simple dress.

We just got off a cruise on the Eurodam and this what everyone was wearing in the MDR on smart casual nights.

Jeans are not prohibited, so long as they are not "distressed"---which is torn, faded, holes in the knees (or elsewhere :eek:).

T-shirts are specifically prohibited by the dress code. Collared knit shirts, such as a golf shirt, are appropriate.

Evening dress on nights other than formal is termed "smart casual", which is a little dressier than "casual".

I find this thread ironic as I read Oceania dress code threads.

Jeans are certainly allowed on HAl on smart Casual nights. There are all kinds of jeans out there and smart ones can be very sharp.

They are even allowed on O but somehow I think they are designer jeans ;)

I don't wear jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights other than possibly the last night, but they are black and they are designer (my only pair on a cruise - I am NOT a jean person) but they are certainly permitted.

Just because I don't wear them doesn't mean that you can't as long as they look nice ;)

Okay, I'm not the fashion police either--folks can wear what they want and I'll not judge (bless their hearts)--but I am a bit pedantic from time to time...

To save you possible future misunderstanding, I just want to point out that a "short-sleeved dress shirt" does not exist. Dress shirts ALWAYS have long sleeves. (Besides, don'cha want to show off your cufflinks?) That goes with wearing a suit any time too.

But a good look is a short-sleeved shirt with, say, khakis and loafers. And re: t-shirts, I've seen versions of the Miami Vice style in the MDR: a colored tee (maybe silk, never with a logo or pocket) under a jacket, sometimes with sleeves rolled or pushed up. Retro cool.

In any case, the key is don't be sloppy.

Okay, I'm not the fashion police either--folks can wear what they want and I'll not judge (bless their hearts)--but I am a bit pedantic from time to time...

To save you possible future misunderstanding, I just want to point out that a "short-sleeved dress shirt" does not exist. Dress shirts ALWAYS have long sleeves. (Besides, don'cha want to show off your cufflinks?) That goes with wearing a suit any time too.

But a good look is a short-sleeved shirt with, say, khakis and loafers. And re: t-shirts, I've seen versions of the Miami Vice style in the MDR: a colored tee (maybe silk, never with a logo or pocket) under a jacket, sometimes with sleeves rolled or pushed up. Retro cool.

They have short sleeved dress shirts in Calgary :confused:. They look just like the ones with long sleeves except the sleeves are short. If you google it there are plenty of images.

Edited by cruz chic

To save you possible future misunderstanding, I just want to point out that a "short-sleeved dress shirt" does not exist. Dress shirts ALWAYS have long sleeves.

Well, check the Macy's website and you will see that they currently offer twelve different 'Short-Sleeved Dress Shirts'. ;)

2641178_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=170&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Edited by Boytjie

Well, check the Macy's website and you will see that they currently offer twelve different 'Short-Sleeved Dress Shirts'. ;)

2641178_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=170&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Growing up in the Northeast, I always thought that there was no such thing as a "short sleeved dress shirt." Then I spent a month in Phoenix and Dallas one summer. I pretty much melted. (For the record, it's not a dry heat. Also, when you buy a "summer weight wool" suit in Princeton, that's a lie, too.) Embrace the seersucker.

Yeah seersucker. Sorry, growing up in the South we never had the money for me to have a suit much less seersucker. It now goes on whenever the feeling comes over me. mostly Sunday.....:). I may be the only man in church in a suit during the summer but what the h***.

no, I'm not a lawyer .....:)

Dennis

I can look wrinkled and sloppy in my better tuxedo. Some of us are talented in that way:D

If one is being very proper, dress shirts really are long sleeved. That is because a bit of cuff should be showing from the jacket sleeve. Now having said this, most of my dress shirts are short sleeve as long sleeves are absolute torture most of the year in our Gulf coast humidity.

Doc

• 2 months later...
Okay, I'm not the fashion police either--

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Sophie, You are behind the times!

Growing up in the Northeast, I always thought that there was no such thing as a "short sleeved dress shirt." Then I spent a month in Phoenix and Dallas one summer. I pretty much melted. (For the record, it's not a dry heat. Also, when you buy a "summer weight wool" suit in Princeton, that's a lie, too.) Embrace the seersucker.

They also sell short sleeve dress shirts in Florida! The nice ones are sold at Nordstrom's for USD $45..But you can also get them a Macy's, J.C. Penny's or Dillards for a bit less..

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?keyword=Short+Sleeve+Dress+Shirt&cm_mmc=google-_-Mens_Generic-_-Shirts_Dress-_-short%2520sleeve%2520dress%2520shirts_e&rkg_id=h-24d2d4c952ad675958a016e0df46824c_t-1445289288&adpos=1t6&creative=75009396862&device=c&matchtype=e&network=s&gclid=CNfE25S6z8gCFVIXHwodk9IGeA#keyword=Short%20Sleeve%20Dress%20Shirt&type=keyword&category=s6000107&defaultsize3=&size=&width=&color=&price=&brand=&stores=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=searchcategory_6000107&sizeFinderId=2&resultsmode=&segmentId=0&keywordSortEngine=Default&page=1

http://www1.macys.com/shop/search?keyword=short+sleeve+dress+shirts

Edited by serendipity1499

I find this thread ironic as I read Oceania dress code threads.

Jeans are certainly allowed on HAl on smart Casual nights. There are all kinds of jeans out there and smart ones can be very sharp.

They are even allowed on O but somehow I think they are designer jeans ;)

I don't wear jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights other than possibly the last night, but they are black and they are designer (my only pair on a cruise - I am NOT a jean person) but they are certainly permitted.

Just because I don't wear them doesn't mean that you can't as long as they look nice ;)

:confused: Have a Question for the ladies who are frequent cruisers.. I've always worn slacks, a long casual dress or a skirt in the MDR on Smart Casual nights.. However, in this thread it looks like Capri's are acceptable too.. When we go out to dinner here in the heat of South West Fla. I often wear Capri's, as they are cooler than slacks.. Always wear a nice top & many times a nice Jacket with them..

Will I look out of place if I wear Capri's with a nice top in the MDR on smart casual nights on the Eurodam to the Eastern/Western Carb.?

Edited by serendipity1499

Will I look out of place if I wear Capri's with a nice top in the MDR on smart casual nights on the Eurodam to the Eastern/Western Carb.?

Of course not, you will look fine in the dining room with capri's and a nice top. You will find many ladies in similar attire.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

:confused: Have a Question for the ladies who are frequent cruisers.. I've always worn slacks, a long casual dress or a skirt in the MDR on Smart Casual nights.. However, in this thread it looks like Capri's are acceptable too.. When we go out to dinner here in the heat of South West Fla. I often wear Capri's, as they are cooler than slacks.. Always wear a nice top & many times a nice Jacket with them..

I wore capri's most nights on my recent cruise. Didn't feel out of place at all. Go for it!

To save you possible future misunderstanding, I just want to point out that a "short-sleeved dress shirt" does not exist. Dress shirts ALWAYS have long sleeves...

I like your style, sophietucker!!!

IMO you are absolutely correct: "Dress shirts ALWAYS have long sleeves."

The fact that some retailers advertise "short-sleeved dress shirts" is nothing more than a reflection of how clueless many people are about "fashion etiquette" and does not change the definition of "dress shirt". (For the record, the latest Merriam-Webster definition of "dress shirt" does not specify a long-sleeved shirt, just one suitable for wear with a tie, but since this is not a discussion of lexicon meanings, the M-W definition is not germane.) Describing any short-sleeved shirt as a "dress shirt" is comparable to characterizing McDonald's fare as gourmet food. In other words, what you call something does not change its character.

On another forum discussing this very issue, I found a comment which pretty well sums up my views on the matter: "A short sleeve button up [shirt] really isn't appropriate for a wedding (or anywhere else in life unless you are a high school math teacher). Will there be some idiot there wearing a short sleeve button up or a polo? Probably. Do you want to be that idiot? Probably not."

Like you, I am not telling anyone else what he/she should or should not wear. I am merely attempting to (good-naturedly) correct the record as to what is and what is not a "dress shirt". :D

It's always interesting when posters tell us "how clueless many people are about 'fashion etiquette' " and then go on to tell us how insular and parochial they are.

Short-sleeve dress shirts are the only thing one can wear with a Bermuda-short suit:

195349486_c8d3e56154.jpg

T

It's always interesting when posters tell us "how clueless many people are about 'fashion etiquette' " and then go on to tell us how insular and parochial they are.

Short-sleeve dress shirts are the only thing one can wear with a Bermuda-short suit:

195349486_c8d3e56154.jpg

Gotta love the black socks! Looks like a postman on holiday.

Edited by jimmy2x