Go Stupid, Stupid-er, Stupid-est. My offer to you...

Bruin Steve

Consider another X strategy using this BBB ,they want to get rid of the elite & elite +s; which cost them money:eek:

PS :We live in the San Diego area & Celebrity /RCCL do not service this area except for the occasional Panama canal transit & Alaska . We have done Alaska 4 times & the Panama Canal twice with X. We will take a 7 night western Caribbean cruise next April because we will be in Florida any way . Even with our elite + status on X ,we can save considerable monies by booking Holland & Princess who does service the LA & SD areas ;because no flying ,all R/T cruising . Thus other formerly loyal Celebrity cruisers living on the west coast may also do the same thing,imo

Edited by mcrcruiser

I need to add my opinion also. I hate being nickel dimed on a cruise. At first we just booked the cruise and was told we could buy a drink package on board and use our OBC for it. Found out it was going to be $649 per person for a 10 day cruise. I started checking out Big Better Best. So now I have unlimited free internet, unlimited drinks, all gratuities are paid($240) and $300 OBC. In addition Costco - who we booked with - also issues a credit now of $310.

Also if you bought the Better package and you wanted a $10 glass of wine instead of the $9 one offered you would have to pay the whole $10 plus 18% gratuities. I'm sure we are not getting anything for FREE but its a vacation and I won't have to go through chits to make sure all the charges are correct.

To those who have added up the alleged value of the "Go Best" perks and booked it that way thinking they're saving a few dollars:

Here is Celebrity's real motivation...

Many people book cruises at a basic cruise only rate...

Celebrity (or any cruise line) can make more money off of that customer if they purchase 1) Drinks, 2) Internet, 3) Shore Excursions, 4) Gift shop items, 5) Spa services, etc.

A lot of this stuff is "high profit" area for the cruise lines...

But, many cruisers don't buy this stuff...They may book their own private excursions, avoid the internet--instead waiting to get it as free wifi in port, avoid the gift shops...and many don't drink or don't drink much...

So, the cruise line was looking for ways to encourage or to FORCE customers to buy these items.

The first great idea was the "Drink Package". Why? The basic effect is to pre-sell the customer approximately 7 drinks per day--that's about what it takes just to break even on the purchase of a package. If people don't hit that 7 drink quota, the cruise line is way ahead...But, if they exceed it, the cruise line doesn't care--they win anyway...BECAUSE the actual cost to the cruise line of an $8 drink is less than a dollar! Nobody on a package costs the line money...But, for the cruise line, if they could sell everyone a package, it's like guaranteeing them the equivalent of the sale of seven high profit margin drinks a day per customer...

This has worked so well that the only problem is HOW to encourage every customer to purchase the package...hence, the 123Go!, the "Pick Your Perk" and, now, the new bundling pricing...

By building the drink package, the OBC and the Internet into the pricing scheme what they've done is to slyly push people into pre-paying for 7 drinks a day, pre-paying for internet usage (which is, basically, giant profit margin for the line--remember, unlike the early days, now most people bring along their own iPads, laptops, etc., so the cruise line doesn't even have to provide computers and ship space) and selling you OBC--which forces you to spend even more onboard--on shore excursions, gift shops, etc.

So, even if the cruise line prices the "Go Best" option at a whopping $80 savings for you, they don't mind...They are laughing all the way to the bank...They make FAR more profit off that $1200 plus extra you spent than the $80...

...And, rather than getting customers who spend judiciously, they have customers who buy EVERYTHING--lock, stock and barrel!

Of course, they're keeping it a little "small" right now...If they could get away with it, they'd jack the prices up about $5,000 per person for which they'd gladly give you $5,500 worth of "included perks"--shore excursions, spa services, gift shop deals, specialty restaurants and so on. Why have to push all that to you once you're onboard when they can merely market it all ahead of time in a bundling pricing scheme?

So, ask yourself, did you really want to buy ALL of those perks? Just to save a few dollars? (If you use some folks logic--but not using the simple math on longer cruises where $195 buys you $150)

This pricing scheme is for the advantage of Celebrity...NOT for the advantage of the customer...

And that's not even dealing with the issue some of us Elite and Elite Plus members have with the perks merely duplicating the Captain's Club perks. Given the choice, we'd be foolish to be buying drink packages and internet packages...but, now we have little choice.

I am one of those much maligned bean counters though i do not work for Celebrity. I did a mock booking for a European cruise for 2016 under the BBB promo. We are new to Celebrity and have not yet taken our first cruise with them so no loyalty discounts. When i crunch the $ for the suite and number of days we would sail I come up with a different answer than almost everyone else here. We utilize the beverage package, use unlimited internet for business and personal reasons, pay the higher level of grats and can always find uses for OBC so in those circumstances we can save money booking under the best level to get everything we want. Having said that if our TA offered sufficient OBC to cover all or most of the things except the beverage package then the first or second levels might work.

I did a dummy booking at all 3 levels to check the price differences and then compared that to the cost for each thing individually. The BBB promos came out ahead. I couldn't compare it to the actual booking we have for 2016 because our class of cabin is sold out.

As most people have suggested you need to do the math yourself based on your own circumstances and determine what works best for you. Anytime i look at booking a cruise i compare the cost of the cruise to all my options for that itinerary. We like the all inclusive type package, have enjoyed that in the past and usually look for that when we plan our cruises. Assuming we do enjoy our 2 Celebrity cruises I will do that on any future cruises before determining if Celebrity is good value or not. If we don't enjoy the experiences then no matter how good a deal Celebrity offers we won't sail with them again.

I am glad that you commented on this thread as a bean counter :)

It would be interesting to see your actual numbers and also know the length of your 2016 cruise as its been pointed out that the BBB is working out better on shorter cruises. Also, I am not sure if anyone has figured out whether the numbers are lower for the add ins for the top Suites since I thought some things were already included such as the drinks package and internet if one booked a Royal Suite or PH Suite?

It seems for the most part a majority of people are comparing the prices they paid for an existing booking with 123Go to current pricing adding the BBB. I can't do that because our upcoming cruise is sold out (or mostly sold out as some days some Inside cabins are available).

But you are right, the perks have more value to some than others. My DH does not drink so we would not pay for the package for two. He took it when it was included as it covers his diet colas.

I think Celebrity may be targeting a group that has been sailing on more all inclusive luxury or "luxury lite" cruise lines. For that group pricing for all the BBB options may actually be less than they have been paying for their cruise vacations.

We booked all of our previous X cruises with a small local TA and more recently with a national TA specialized in cruises. However, we have never been offered any additional perks or OBC in addition to the Celebrity promotions.

I know that I can't mention here the name of some specific TAs but, of course, I receive regularly by e-mail some publicity from internet TAs including one that is associated to Cruise Critics (maybe that one could be mentioned!); however, I prefer to deal with someone person-to-person and quality of service is also important.

I also read in this thread a mention of a "large warehouse retail store" selling cruises but didn't find any mention of such service on their Canadian Web site. Are these large TAs offering additional perks and OBC only active in the US? Do you know some offering services in Canada and particularly in Quebec for French speaking customers taking into account that I am not fully bilingual and more comfortable to deal in French on the phone?

Edited by vivi9909

Do you know some offering services in Canada and particularly in Quebec for French speaking customers taking into account that I am not fully bilingual and more comfortable to deal in French on the phone?

Bonjour vivi...

I grew up in Hollywood, Florida - which has many, many Quebecois. Each year, the city hosts CanadaFest - which has several TAs as sponsors that offer service in French. I can't vouch for any one of them, but you might want to look at this year's program to see some of them. You can find it here: http://www.canadafest.com/flip/2015/index.html#p=1

Bonne chance!

[quote=Bruin Steve;

And that's not even dealing with the issue some of us Elite and Elite Plus members have with the perks merely duplicating the Captain's Club perks. Given the choice, we'd be foolish to be buying drink packages and internet packages...but, now we have little choice. Why do you call elite members who buys the package foolish ? I am a elite + member, and have bought the package on all my cruise.

The reason is I enjoy bottle water , having a drink at lunch, at the pool and after 7.

I also believe it better to spread you drinks out during the course of the day then drinking every everything in 2 hrs.

Steve, I appreciate your bringing up the fact that this new pricing structure FORCES customers who wish to book any level of stateroom above an inside to pay for something they do not care to buy.

In designing this new pricing scheme I wonder if anyone considered the reality of economic conditions at the present time. The middle class is shrinking and most of the economic recovery has gone to benefit the very few at the top percentiles. Salaries and wages of the middle class have been slow to grow. Celebrity may be targeting a more affluent thirty something demographic but those are not the people I have encountered on my seven Celebrity cruises. Most of the passengers I have met are very price sensitive and are looking for a good value when booking a cruise. This new pricing structure is not just unappealing, it may not be well thought out given the current economic climate.

per cent. Most of the cruise passengers I have met on my seven Celebrity cruises seem to be very price sensitive and are seeking a good value for their cruise dollars.

We booked all of our previous X cruises with a small local TA and more recently with a national TA specialized in cruises. However, we have never been offered any additional perks or OBC in addition to the Celebrity promotions.

I know that I can't mention here the name of some specific TAs but, of course, I receive regularly by e-mail some publicity from internet TAs including one that is associated to Cruise Critics (maybe that one could be mentioned!); however, I prefer to deal with someone person-to-person and quality of service is also important.

I also read in this thread a mention of a "large warehouse retail store" selling cruises but didn't find any mention of such service on their Canadian Web site. Are these large TAs offering additional perks and OBC only active in the US? Do you know some offering services in Canada and particularly in Quebec for French speaking customers taking into account that I am not fully bilingual and more comfortable to deal in French on the phone?

The large warehouse retail store does not (as far as I'm aware) offer travel services in Canada. However - via the phone (and perhaps the internet) you can purchase from the US store. I haven't done this yet but I called and spoke to a live agent and confirmed that I could purchase travel from them. member ship, of course, is required. I recently used my Canadian membership at a US store; so I it makes perfect sense that we could buy travel from them too.

To those who have added up the alleged value of the "Go Best" perks and booked it that way thinking they're saving a few dollars:

Here is Celebrity's real motivation...

Many people book cruises at a basic cruise only rate...

Celebrity (or any cruise line) can make more money off of that customer if they purchase 1) Drinks, 2) Internet, 3) Shore Excursions, 4) Gift shop items, 5) Spa services, etc.

A lot of this stuff is "high profit" area for the cruise lines...

But, many cruisers don't buy this stuff...They may book their own private excursions, avoid the internet--instead waiting to get it as free wifi in port, avoid the gift shops...and many don't drink or don't drink much...

So, the cruise line was looking for ways to encourage or to FORCE customers to buy these items.

The first great idea was the "Drink Package". Why? The basic effect is to pre-sell the customer approximately 7 drinks per day--that's about what it takes just to break even on the purchase of a package. If people don't hit that 7 drink quota, the cruise line is way ahead...But, if they exceed it, the cruise line doesn't care--they win anyway...BECAUSE the actual cost to the cruise line of an $8 drink is less than a dollar! Nobody on a package costs the line money...But, for the cruise line, if they could sell everyone a package, it's like guaranteeing them the equivalent of the sale of seven high profit margin drinks a day per customer...

This has worked so well that the only problem is HOW to encourage every customer to purchase the package...hence, the 123Go!, the "Pick Your Perk" and, now, the new bundling pricing...

By building the drink package, the OBC and the Internet into the pricing scheme what they've done is to slyly push people into pre-paying for 7 drinks a day, pre-paying for internet usage (which is, basically, giant profit margin for the line--remember, unlike the early days, now most people bring along their own iPads, laptops, etc., so the cruise line doesn't even have to provide computers and ship space) and selling you OBC--which forces you to spend even more onboard--on shore excursions, gift shops, etc.

So, even if the cruise line prices the "Go Best" option at a whopping $80 savings for you, they don't mind...They are laughing all the way to the bank...They make FAR more profit off that $1200 plus extra you spent than the $80...

...And, rather than getting customers who spend judiciously, they have customers who buy EVERYTHING--lock, stock and barrel!

Of course, they're keeping it a little "small" right now...If they could get away with it, they'd jack the prices up about $5,000 per person for which they'd gladly give you $5,500 worth of "included perks"--shore excursions, spa services, gift shop deals, specialty restaurants and so on. Why have to push all that to you once you're onboard when they can merely market it all ahead of time in a bundling pricing scheme?

So, ask yourself, did you really want to buy ALL of those perks? Just to save a few dollars? (If you use some folks logic--but not using the simple math on longer cruises where $195 buys you $150)

This pricing scheme is for the advantage of Celebrity...NOT for the advantage of the customer...

And that's not even dealing with the issue some of us Elite and Elite Plus members have with the perks merely duplicating the Captain's Club perks. Given the choice, we'd be foolish to be buying drink packages and internet packages...but, now we have little choice.

Your statement on the cost of a drink of less than a $1.00 is way off. Made me stop reading the rest of your rant

Steve, I appreciate your bringing up the fact that this new pricing structure FORCES customers who wish to book any level of stateroom above an inside to pay for something they do not care to buy.

In designing this new pricing scheme I wonder if anyone considered the reality of economic conditions at the present time. The middle class is shrinking and most of the economic recovery has gone to benefit the very few at the top percentiles. Salaries and wages of the middle class have been slow to grow. Celebrity may be targeting a more affluent thirty something demographic but those are not the people I have encountered on my seven Celebrity cruises. Most of the passengers I have met are very price sensitive and are looking for a good value when booking a cruise. This new pricing structure is not just unappealing, it may not be well thought out given the current economic climate.

Some points.

First, you're assuming that everyone looks at these perks as you do. Some may find them very attractive even if you and those you mentioned do not. Are these folks being FORCED to buy what they do not want?

Second, perks change. A cruise maybe listed for sale for up to a year and a half. Celebrity may offer various packages and promotions during that time that appeal to different demographics. This allows Celebrity to attract different demographics at different times for the same cruise.

Also, not all have high status. It's not surprising that Celebrity would focus their perks to appeal to a larger number of potential passengers rather than the limited number of high status passengers.

Finally, not all perks have to appeal to everyone. Wife and I are totally indifferent to internet access perks. Others find that very attractive.

Edited by RocketMan275

I don't know. Maybe it depends on the specific cruise. I'm looking at 11 night Croatia on Constellation in October. For the additional $495 for Best,the Premium Beverage, Gratuities, Unlimited Internet and $150 OBC would be a $1356 value. Now granted we are on Elite so we would get some drink coupons and 90 minutes of internet but it still seems like you are getting much more value than the cost.

Your statement on the cost of a drink of less than a $1.00 is way off. Made me stop reading the rest of your rant

Actually he's not that far off although it is a little low. To begin with, compare the cost of a drink at your local bar to what X charges. (excluding NYC type places). Although X is much higher. However because they buy in much greater volume than your local establishment, they pay less per bottle.

Most restaurants figure the cost of liquor at about 20% cost of goods to the sales price. 25% at most. So if you're paying $6 for a drink at your local bar, their cost is probably about $1.20. Premium drinks at $9 locally would cost $1.80.

Food costs at restaurants run about 30-35% the menu charge. There are exceptions of course but those are average figures. Some go down to 25% others up to 40%.

How much less have you paid for a bottle of liquor in St. Maarten without the excessive US federal, state and local taxes? That's why the liquor perk is a high perceived value ($8-$12 X charges for what you'd pay $6-$8 at home) and a low out of pocket cost for X.

Disclaimer: My pricing is based on the fact that I prefer premium brands. Bar brands which is what X serves on the Classic package is even lower cost than I used in my example. so maybe Bruin Steve closer than I first thought. lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hi Rocket Man

I never said that I thought everyone shares my view about the new pricing structure. The point I was making is that under this new pricing scheme you cannot book a category higher than an inside without choosing at least one perk. Perks are not free, the customer ultimately pays for them. That is forcing someone to pay for something they may or may not want. I prefer the old system which respects the customers right to choose.

This new pricing structure has not been described as a promotion. The implication is that it is a long term business strategy to increase corporate profits. I prefer the way Celebrity used to allow the customer to choose what they wanted to purchase, because I believe it is more respectful to the customer.

Oh dear, this is something that's been troubling me for a while. I spotted the other day that after our next cruise DW and I will be a mere 12 points short of the rarefied atmosphere of the higher echelons of the Captains' Club. Upper-middle class, you might say, if using 1950s English parlance.

I'm absolutely terrified that when we cross the threshold it will trigger me into a cycle of whinging and whining about perks versus promotions and that someone might be getting something that I'm not, even if they've paid a king's ransoms for a Penthouse Suite.

Is there any medication or counselling I should look at getting? Or should I just continue to do the math, as our transatlantic cousins say, and figure out if I am happy or not with the deals on offer?

Dear Sir, you haven't a thing to worry about. Once you've read all these posts you will have learned that this is just one of a series of nefarious plots to drive all high loyalty status customers away. Consequently, once you achieve the highly and most exalted status, you'll immediately switch to another cruise line before you are afflicted with uncontrollable "whinging and whining". At that point you will realize just how grateful you should be to Celebrity for having saved you from this calamitous result. I certainly hope this sets your mind to rest.

Edited by RocketMan275

Unfortunately, the big wharehouse travel agency only offers it's services in the USA. I do not know of any travel agency in Canada that offers it's customers any perks, such as onboard credit, over and above what the cruise line will offer. Believe me, I have tried finding one which does, in my over 24 past cruises!

There are US based travel agents who do offer to book in $CAN as long as the cruise line accepts payment in $CAN. I do not know of any travel agency in the US, who can offer their services in French. Perhaps you can contact some of these agencies who advertise in the Le Soleil de la Floride newspaper. Member BTANK, in a previous post has given a reference to some who might offer services in French.

Bonne recherche et bon voyage!:)

Edited by Tangocherie

Thank you Btank, Queen of Oakville and Tangocherie for your replies.

Tangocherie, you confirm what I already thank but it is a little bit frustrating for us, Canadians, to read about all these agencies offering additional perks and OBC on top of the cruise lines promotions.

Most of the time, I do a detailed search on the Celebrity site and visit my TA when I know exactly the cruise I am looking for, including the available cabin number, its price and the available perks. I know she will fight for me if a problem occurs with Celebrity and she will book flights and provide advice for pre and post cruise hotels and tours.

I now realize that I am a little bit out of topic and I hope that I will not be accused of steeling the original thread subject. Sorry for that.

Edited by vivi9909

As an Elite cruiser, i do not see the value of this new pricing scheme. It seems to be a hybrid of the "all inclusive" Azamara model. I guess that the next promo campaign will tout the "bespoke" affordable luxury of Celebrity. Snarknyness aside, if enough people "Buy" into this concept it will work, if not, who knows what's next? This pricing scheme is aimed at new cruisers who did not build up loyalty status and that seems to be the model to attract a new and more profitable demographic. I for one do not see the value in this new pricing model and will now look elsewhere, as I did with Azamara. That's a shame, because I remember when Celebrity actually did treat you as a Celebrity(member that ad campaign) not as a sheep to be shorn or pocket to be picked. It's a big Ocean out there with alot of choices and a la carte price points.

Anyhow , thats my happy thought on this new campaign.

Safe sailing to all

As an Elite cruiser, i do not see the value of this new pricing scheme. It seems to be a hybrid of the "all inclusive" Azamara model. I guess that the next promo campaign will tout the "bespoke" affordable luxury of Celebrity. Snarknyness aside, if enough people "Buy" into this concept it will work, if not, who knows what's next? This pricing scheme is aimed at new cruisers who did not build up loyalty status and that seems to be the model to attract a new and more profitable demographic. I for one do not see the value in this new pricing model and will now look elsewhere, as I did with Azamara. That's a shame, because I remember when Celebrity actually did treat you as a Celebrity(member that ad campaign) not as a sheep to be shorn or pocket to be picked. It's a big Ocean out there with alot of choices and a la carte price points.

Anyhow , thats my happy thought on this new campaign.

Safe sailing to all

They do seem to be trying to move to more of an "all inclusive" model. It would be a way to separate themselves from the competition, since most all inclusive lines are smaller ships higher price point. The current pricing structure allows them to put their toe in the water so to speak and evaluate the impact on their customer base before jumping in.

The OBC is $300, not $150. It is per person. Same with the gratuities. So while it isn't a huge savings, it isn't quite as dumb as suggested. I just booked a 7 day cruise and for $325 received premium drink package, $150 OBC, Prepaid gratuities and unlimited internet. As this is only my second Celebrity cruise, I don't have perks that offset the value, so it is a pretty good deal for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Exactly! BruinSteve didn't read it correctly. It would be a bad deal if it wasn't per person for the OBC.

I'm not seeing a lot of Celebrity cruises in my future except for the ones I have currently booked (prior to this BBB nonsense).

In favor of which cruise line (if any), instead?

- Joel

Exactly! BruinSteve didn't read it correctly. It would be a bad deal if it wasn't per person for the OBC.

Bruinsteve had it 100 % correct. The cost is per person and the OBC is per person. Math isn't really that hard to figure out you're being screwed.