Go Stupid, Stupid-er, Stupid-est. My offer to you...

Bruin Steve

That's pretty much how I feel.

I posted using the "free grats" part on another thread related to BBB; but I was told I was off-topic :confused: Clearly, I'm pre-paying my grats, so there is nothing free about.

I think Celebrity thinks very little of their pax trying to sell us this crap; but clearly people are buying it.

Somebody in marketing must have though "let's charge them for something .... then tell them its free .... then see if they buy it"

Rather than getting lost in the thread that is already nearing 1,000 posts, I thought I'd start this new one...

So, I thought, what about those "Go Better options"? Well, here is where it gets a little silly--It states "Add Go Better for only $105 per person...They offer, for example, "Free Gratuities". Well, for this 7 night cruise, those gratuities are worth only $90.65! ($12.95 per day pp)...So, with much fanfare, they are telling me that, for a mere $105, they will give me a perk worth a whole $90.65???

I don't think you're reading the offer correctly. On Silhoette in March, The "Go Better Options" allow you to pick two. For $105PP, you could get $150 PP OBC and gratuities for one ($12.95x7= 90.65) or $240.65 or a savings of $135.65.

Similar results for Iberian cruise in July.

I would suggest you might want to go back and read those 1000 posts.

Edited by RocketMan275

Currently have 4 future X cruises booked in cc with all three 123 benefits + extra OBC for booking onboard. Booked them all last Nov when they rolled that promotion out and have monitored pricing regularly. I believe 123 may have worked "too well" for them, selling out most of their higher priced cabins through 4/17. Most sailings show few cc, aq and suites available. Reduced inventory is allowing them to play games like BBB to see how much they can charge for remaining cabins. Let's see what happens when 2017 - 2018 schedule is released and all ships start at 100% vacant.

I don't think you're reading the offer correctly. On Silhoette in March, The "Go Better Options" allow you to pick two. For $105PP, you could get $150 PP OBC and gratuities for one ($12.95x7= 90.65) or $240.65 or a savings of $135.65.

Similar results for Iberian cruise in July.

I would suggest you might want to go back and read those 1000 posts.

I'm pretty good at reading "legalese"...

I wrote this stuff for 35 years in my career as a corporate attorney...

"go!big

Choose 1

Classic Beverage Pkg for 2

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Included in price

$2,149

avg per person

SELECT

go!better

Choose 2

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Upgrade for only $195

$2,344

avg per person

SELECT

go!best

Get all 4

Premium Beverage Pkg for 2

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Upgrade for only $585

$2,734

avg per person"

Already included in the "Go Big" price is ONE option--For most, this is the classic drink package. The cost of this has already been blended into the pricing--as evidenced by my recent Alaska cruise where, with the "Pick Your Perk" promotion, I was offered two different prices for the same cabin--one with the perk, the other without...and the difference in the cost of the two was $400 pp--roughly the cost of a drink package for that 7 night cruise.

The "Go Better" offer includes a choice of two...BUT it is NOT a choice of two in addition to the already included drink package...It is two INCLUDING that drink package--so, you are paying that additional $195 (in this case) for the $150 OBC or the $168 gratuities...NOT both--unless you give back the drink package--in which case you are really taking a hit...

The "Go Biggest" does give you an upgrade on the drink package and throws in both the $150 OBC and the $168 tips plus free internet...but at a cost of $1170 per cabin...So, $636 worth of tips and OBC means you are paying over $500 for that internet connection and an upgrade in what brand of booze you can order for those drinks you've already overpaid for...

If someone like donandmelissa were really going to buy all of those extras...and if they drink enough and spend enough of their cruise sitting in front of a computer to make this worth their while, well, MAYBE they come close to break even...

For me--an Elite Plus who already had free drinks, free specialty coffees and 200 minutes of free internet--there is no way in heck anything here comes close to making sense...

But, as to my original point...

NO WAY paying $195 for a $150 OBC or a $168 in tips can make ANY sense to ANYBODY!!!

It is flat out and straightforward on the Celebrity booking site...

$195 per person for a choice of $150 OR $168!!! NOT BOTH!

That's a perfect example of never getting the same information twice from Celebrity. You never get the same price twice, the same information, etc. It seems that there is no one in charge and no one knows the correct information.

I agree. Have their bean counters lost the ability to count? Do they think we're stupid?

Here's an example of my recent experience with Celebrity:

When I got back from an Alaska cruise in May I got an e-mail saying as a thank you I could get $100 OBC on my next cruise. So my TA called Celebrity to see if it could be added to my booking for October. They said no (I already had three benefits attached to that booking). Makes perfect sense.

Well, the little darling she talked to was bound and determined to get me that $100. Whatever she did caused me to be re-fared for $800+ more and to lose $300 in OBC. So, to gain $100, I lost over $1100. Where do they find these people???

My TA was able to get it sorted, but really--how could anyone be that stupid?

I'm not seeing a lot of Celebrity cruises in my future except for the ones I have currently booked (prior to this BBB nonsense).

It's all relative. We were going to book a similar itinerary on Princess in a mini suite, which is essentially the same room as a Celebrity 1A verandah, with only minor differences. For the same price, the Celebrity cruise provides the prepaid gratuities, $300 in OBC and unlimited internet. Once I paid Princess gratuities and settled my on board expenses, I would have paid more for less on the Princess cruise. Plus, I have the added benefit of surfing however much I please, drinking pretty much whatever I please, having my wife hit the spa and knowing that not another cent is likely to be owed when I debark. To each his own . . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This past May, we booked our first Azamara cruise when they were offering their 50% off for second person promotionl. We've been wanting to move to Azamara, and the promotion and unique European itinerary were too good to pass up.

When Celebrity started their new promotion, I did a calulation for a 14 night European cruise in a CC cabin. Turns out if I added all three perks, Celebrity would be almost $1000 more per person. I then realized, even if we didn't get the Azamara promotion, Azamara would only have been $1000 more.

I agree - the bean counters didn't think this through. They will probably lose many of us who will just take our Elite Plus status over to Azamara.

Our upcoming Silhouette will most likely be the last with Celebrity unless they recognize that their loyal passengers know how a "shell game" is played.

If I was with RCL management (Celebrity and Azamara parent company) and had just read your message I would be very happy. It is a win-win-win for them.

1. They got you to move up brand to a more expensive product

2. They have no longer have to provide your elite plus benefits on Celebrity and the Azamara benefits are structured more in a way that is more tied to cruise purchases, not free items on a given cruise.

3. They can now sell the cabin to someone new

Cruise lines do not necessarily think about various loyalty status in the same way we passengers do. To them it is a cost. They do it for competitive reasons.

The changes Celebrity has made over the past couple of years has been to position the line in a way that is different from the competition and to appeal to a younger demographic.

Going up market to a more expensive RCL line is a benefit to them, not a concern. It might be a concern if you indicated that you were going to shift away from the RCL lines entirely.

Edited by RDC1

Imagine a world where if you wanted a cruise you could look for the room you wanted and decide if the cost was fair. If you then wanted extras they were clearly listed and you just added them on to your cost.

Imagine a world that rewarded early bookers and frequent cruisers with special deals....

I do not understand what, not only Celebrity, but other cruise lines are doing at present. All that most cruisers want is a fair price. Loyalty should be rewarded as should booking early. Keeping customers and booking up rooms early makes sense for everyone.

Thankfully my two big cruises for 2016/2017 are booked. I hope as the 2018 itinerary comes out the new offer system begins to makes sense.

If I was with RCL management (Celebrity and Azamara parent company) and had just read your message I would be very happy. It is a win-win-win for them.

1. They got you to move up brand to a more expensive product

2. They have no longer have to provide your elite plus benefits on Celebrity and the Azamara benefits are structured more in a way that is more tied to cruise purchases, not free items on a given cruise.

3. They can now sell the cabin to someone new

Cruise lines do not necessarily think about various loyalty status in the same way we passengers do. To them it is a cost. They do it for competitive reasons.

The changes Celebrity has made over the past couple of years has been to position the line in a way that is different from the competition and to appeal to a younger demographic.

Going up market to a more expensive RCL line is a benefit to them, not a concern. It might be a concern if you indicated that you were going to shift away from the RCL lines entirely.

I agree, although there is an inherent risk if that is the overall corporate strategy. For example, we'll become Elite Plus next year so naturally we would look at Azamara as an alternative to Celebrity if they continue this funny numbers game but we would also begin to consider other options. I haven't looked closely but Oceania and Crystal seem comparable to Azamara.

It's all relative. We were going to book a similar itinerary on Princess in a mini suite, which is essentially the same room as a Celebrity 1A verandah, with only minor differences. For the same price, the Celebrity cruise provides the prepaid gratuities, $300 in OBC and unlimited internet. Once I paid Princess gratuities and settled my on board expenses, I would have paid more for less on the Princess cruise. Plus, I have the added benefit of surfing however much I please, drinking pretty much whatever I please, having my wife hit the spa and knowing that not another cent is likely to be owed when I debark. To each his own . . .

The rest of your equation may work, but having sailed in both mini-suites in Princess and balcony cabins on Celebrity many times they aren't IMHO, "essentially the same". The only thing that I see they share is a couch. The mini-suites have a separate seating area, 2 TV's, MUCH more storage place, a bigger bathroom including tub. We think a better cabin layout overall. They are more akin to a Sky Suite on Celebrity than a standard balcony, although the benefits (and, well, the price) are not even close.

I'm pretty good at reading "legalese"...

I wrote this stuff for 35 years in my career as a corporate attorney...

"go!big

Choose 1

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Included in price

$2,149

avg per person

SELECT

go!better

Choose 2

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Upgrade for only $195

$2,344

avg per person

SELECT

go!best

Get all 4

Premium Beverage Pkg for 2

$150 pp to spend onboard

Prepaid Tips for 2

Unlimited Internet for 2

Upgrade for only $585

$2,734

avg per person"

Already included in the "Go Big" price is ONE option--For most, this is the classic drink package. The cost of this has already been blended into the pricing--as evidenced by my recent Alaska cruise where, with the "Pick Your Perk" promotion, I was offered two different prices for the same cabin--one with the perk, the other without...and the difference in the cost of the two was $400 pp--roughly the cost of a drink package for that 7 night cruise.

The "Go Better" offer includes a choice of two...BUT it is NOT a choice of two in addition to the already included drink package...It is two INCLUDING that drink package--so, you are paying that additional $195 (in this case) for the $150 OBC or the $168 gratuities...NOT both--unless you give back the drink package--in which case you are really taking a hit...

The "Go Biggest" does give you an upgrade on the drink package and throws in both the $150 OBC and the $168 tips plus free internet...but at a cost of $1170 per cabin...So, $636 worth of tips and OBC means you are paying over $500 for that internet connection and an upgrade in what brand of booze you can order for those drinks you've already overpaid for...

If someone like donandmelissa were really going to buy all of those extras...and if they drink enough and spend enough of their cruise sitting in front of a computer to make this worth their while, well, MAYBE they come close to break even...

For me--an Elite Plus who already had free drinks, free specialty coffees and 200 minutes of free internet--there is no way in heck anything here comes close to making sense...

But, as to my original point...

NO WAY paying $195 for a $150 OBC or a $168 in tips can make ANY sense to ANYBODY!!!

It is flat out and straightforward on the Celebrity booking site...

$195 per person for a choice of $150 OR $168!!! NOT BOTH!

Are you sure those quotes are for a 7 night cruise? My 7 night shows $105 to go Better (granted, only makes sense to take the OBC) and $315 for go best?

Remember - not everyone is Elite or Elite plus.....

For us, the cruise price was the same, we only had $50 OBC and the classic. Since we like nicer wine than is available, and like to have it when we want, not just when the free stuff is offered. We like good coffee first thing in the morning, we always upgrade anyway. It didn't make financial sense for the Better, but it did for the go Best. For $30 pp we got unlimited internet.

The rest of your equation may work, but having sailed in both mini-suites in Princess and balcony cabins on Celebrity many times they aren't IMHO, "essentially the same". The only thing that I see they share is a couch. The mini-suites have a separate seating area, 2 TV's, MUCH more storage place, a bigger bathroom including tub. We think a better cabin layout overall. They are more akin to a Sky Suite on Celebrity than a standard balcony, although the benefits (and, well, the price) are not even close.

I don't disagree. The 2nd tv doesn't add much for us, as we would rarely utilize more than one at a time. The bigger bath and tub are nice, but aren't important to us. That is why I said "essentially the same". The extra storage us the only major difference to us, and the bigger 1A balcony makes up for it. The actual total difference in final price as we debark would likely be about $650 less than Princess an a 7 day cruise. Depending on when we book, many people get a better price than we pay, and many pay more. It is all supply and demand. My travel agent always throws in an extra OBC that people who book directly don't get. At the end of the day, I just want a product commensurate with its cost.

Steve is exactly right what he is expressing in his posts.

At the end of the day you don't get something for nothing.

These alleged perks are only hidden by driving the cruise price upwards. If people cant see what is happening they need to go to the optometrist and have their eyes examined.

Come on cruisers, it is a marketing RORT...........

Thank you for the continued analysis.

Celebrity is being quite transparent in their desire to "retire" Elite and above and replace with newbies. Specifically newbies that are what marketers call "lazy consumers" - those that like all inclusives.

Most of the posts on this and the main thread are from people with previous bookings under 123 Go and this allows comparison to the significant rise in price of the same product under the new pricing structure.

Frankly, new customers do not have the historical core data for this comparison - they will compare it to a land based all inclusive or another cruise line.

Then there are the "obedient consumers" who buy what is pitched to them without much analysis.

These 2 groups combined are the new target market for Celebrity and I am sure Celebrity will continue to economically benefit from replacing the costly Elite (like myself) with the newbies - that is until the next economic collapse or rise in interest rates which add a couple of hundred dollars a month on the mortgage of the house. Then there is the rapid decline of Canadian bookings due to the collapse of the Cdn $ (affecting me). On many Celebrity cruises in the winter, Canadians make up over 30% of each sailing.

I am Elite Plus and there are no Celebrity cruises in my future. The drink and internet package is of no interest to us and I am not going to pay $ for my current loyality benefits.

As in all things, time will tell how Celebrity's new pricing strategy works.

Safe and happy sailing to all

ABoatNerd

The BBB now - Compared our original price for our Nov 2015 Eclipse Veranda without the BBB and with BBB.

We are Elite+ so some of the BBB perks are not worth the extra costs. The difference is $$1,770 higher for the BBB. However, when I add my OBC of $600 that we got originally, it increases the cost for the BBB as I don't think you can get an OBC from Celebrity of $600. We also got the 123 Classic Pkg free!!!!!!!

Each cruise and TA is not a true comparison when trying to figure what is the best deal. The best deal is the one you are going on or else you would not have booked. LO

All of the numbers being thrown out shows how confusing this whole BBB offer is. I'm pretty good at logic, math and comparisons but I even got confused and posted bad info on the other thread.

When you start adding in CC status and perks for suites and try to remember what you get as part of one or the other you almost need a spread sheet and math degree.

All of the numbers being thrown out shows how confusing this whole BBB offer is. I'm pretty good at logic, math and comparisons but I even got confused and posted bad info on the other thread.

When you start adding in CC status and perks for suites and try to remember what you get as part of one or the other you almost need a spread sheet and math degree.

That was my initial observation on other threads. I was scoffed at by some who did not think it would be confusing and require a bunch of math,...well guess it was, because there are many thoughtful posts with lots of math and analysis...

In the end consumers will seek the best product at the price they are willing to pay....We hope focus will return to what they are providing beyond alcohol, internet etc...

We miss the nice towels and products in AQ class, sorbet at the pool, and many other small nice touches. Also hoping for a return to good live music of all types on board!

I broke it down per person. The cost per person is $325. 2 people in cabin, each gets $150. The $325 gets me a $150 OBC, $91 in gratuities, a $70 upgrade from classic to premium, and free Internet. I would have spent at least that much anyway, so essentially I save $11 and get unlimited internet.

I hope the internet works. I would rather save the $325 than the $11 for something that I may or may not be able to use. The internet was bad enough when only a few were using it sparingly to save minutes. I can't imagine how slow it will be or if you will even be able to login. When people have unlimited internet they tend not to sign off and post on Facebook, tweet and text like they are at home. I haven't read anything about Celebrity updating the server. All I know is that after my last experience trying to use the minutes that I paid for I will never again purchase an internet package until I hear some positive feed back.

Looks like you only win with a 7 night cruise for OBC.

$105 (7x15) will get you $150. Wow.

You paid out $105 for a $150 OBC. What do you want to bet that people spend more than the $45 profit they receive. It's a trap to get you to spend above the $150. If I book a $50 specialty restaurant for 2 it only cost us $100 to eat there. I just saved $110 by not going better and paying for the restaurant on board.

In looking at a 14 night cruise we are considering I can't see why anyone would choose "Better" however the "Best" is $630 pp more or $1260 for both.

In doing the math the value of the perks is $300 OBC, $ 362.60 gratuities, $330.40 upgrade to premium beverage, $349 unlimited internet for a total of $$1342. About a $80 savings - we will probably book Best - heck $80 will pay for our airport parking:D

In looking at a 14 night cruise we are considering I can't see why anyone would choose "Better" however the "Best" is $630 pp more or $1260 for both.

In doing the math the value of the perks is $300 OBC, $ 362.60 gratuities, $330.40 upgrade to premium beverage, $349 unlimited internet for a total of $$1342. About a $80 savings - we will probably book Best - heck $80 will pay for our airport parking:D

Although for the most part I dislike the BBB price structure (in part because we're Elite+), there is one more advantage I keep forgetting about in a scenario like yours where you're going to shell out an additional $1260. That extra $1260 enables your Travel Agent to give you more OBC than he/she would be able to under any previous pricing structure. No doubt this was also a part of Celebrity's thought process with this new pricing model, banking on the hopes the Travel Agent community will "push" a cruise on =X= over some of the competition since it gives them the opportunity to earn higher commissions because of the increased price points.