Coat and Tie still required?

sjoantwe

My husband really doesnt like to bring a coat and tie on cruises. On Celebrity and other ships, he always wears a dress shirt and dress pants but no coat and tie. I read in the HAL's literature that a coat and tie are required on formal nights. Is this mandatory for the MDR?

From HAL's website (they've started calling Formal Nights Gala Nights:

Evening Dress

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. Formalwear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

So if you want to eat in the MDR, he should bring a jacket and tie.

"Enforcement" does vary. I've seen jacketless men allowed in. I've seen jacketless men turned away. I've seen jacketless men given a "loaner" jacket from the podium. Unless you want to gamble on a lax maître d', you should pack the jacket and tie or plan to eat at the Lido on Gala Nights.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We've had some major discussion if 'appropriate' means required these days? :D There must be some reason HAL changed the verbage from 'suggested'?

I think HAL is transitioning away from jacket and tie required and suspect if gents wear either a tie or a jacket, they will be seated but don't put my name on the 'I guarantee it ticket'. :D

Edited by sail7seas

If you want to eat in the MDR, then yes, that is the current rule.

You can do the Lido, Canaletto and in room dining if you want to forego the jacket and tie.

A blazer and tie will do the trick. It doesn't have to be fancy. (some will say sadly, but I am just stating facts)

If you want to eat in the MDR, then yes, that is the current rule.

You can do the Lido, Canaletto and in room dining if you want to forego the jacket and tie.

A blazer and tie will do the trick. It doesn't have to be fancy. (some will say sadly, but I am just stating facts)

One can also have something to eat at Dive In if they don't want to go to MDR.

One can also have something to eat at Dive In if they don't want to go to MDR.

for dinner??? I guess I missed the Dive In being open late at night. On my cruises, it closed early evening?? Better check my ON Locations, my memory must be gone ;)

for dinner??? I guess I missed the Dive In being open late at night. On my cruises, it closed early evening?? Better check my ON Locations, my memory must be gone ;)

I think they usually close up around 5:30 pm.

We have seen some men admitted to the MDR (on formal nights) without a jacket. And on the same exact cruise we have seen some men refused entrance. In fact, we met a guy on the Oosterdam that got in the MDR on the first formal night, but was turned away (by the same staffer) on subsequent formal nights. They did offer to "lend" him a jacket which he refused. We happened to witness when he was refused entry and heard his wife grumble "I told you so....and now go back to the cabin and put on your tux." Too funny. And yes, his DW was dressed to kill :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I think they usually close up around 5:30 pm.

What time is early dining? Open Seating starts at what time? ;)

Not everyone dines at 8 P.M.

Edited by sail7seas

I know people who like their dinner earlier, so for them 5-5:30 wouldn't be too early. OP never said what time they want to eat dinner, so I wouldn't assume they are late diners. The Dive In could be an option.

My husband really doesnt like to bring a coat and tie on cruises. On Celebrity and other ships, he always wears a dress shirt and dress pants but no coat and tie. I read in the HAL's literature that a coat and tie are required on formal nights. Is this mandatory for the MDR?

Jacket & Tie required otherwise back to Celebrity...

I know people who like their dinner earlier, so for them 5-5:30 wouldn't be too early. OP never said what time they want to eat dinner, so I wouldn't assume they are late diners. The Dive In could be an option.

True, they only mentioned the MDR, so given early dining is 5:30 or 5:45, the Dive In might not fit unless they really like to eat early. Perhaps OP will come back and enlighten us.:)

Oh I agree - I know lots of CC friends that do the early option. But the Dive IN hasn't been on their list of things to do at night. I never assumed the OP and company were late diners. I was looking for dinner options for the OP. I guess hamburgers and hotdogs are another options. Sorry, if my post was incomplete and I forgot to mention it.

I always think of the Dive In as a bite for lunch or in the afternoon. Not for dinner. Sorry, I omitted it since it seems to be a big deal. I was just trying to help the OP.

I do not think it is still mandatory. The newest guidelines refer to coats and ties for men and gowns and cocktail dresses for women as "appropriate, not "required". IMHO, HAL is trying to catch up with the times but still keep their base customers happy

There seems to be info largely missing regarding the Lido on formal nights. I'm pretty sure we have eaten there a couple of times on formal nights and worn smart jeans and a short sleaved/collared shirt.

The entire formal/casual/informal wear issue is in my opinion wearing very thin these days.

I realise it's difficult for a cruise line to state exactly what is ok, but maybe they should simply stick their necks out and be as descriptive as possible and put a few exact allowable options on their website. Seems simple to me.

I also realise that I will/may be shot down in flames for this, however, this sort of publication would have helped us from when we started using HAL.

We are smart casual diners. We sometimes wear smart jeans and shirts with collars. Also sometimes we wear smart pants.

I think it fair to say that nobody should expect to turn up with a cap and shorts etc etc on any night in any restaurant.

Edited by richarduk

There seems to be info largely missing regarding the Lido on formal nights. I'm pretty sure we have eaten there a couple of times on formal nights and worn smart jeans and a short sleaved/collared shirt.

The way the dress code reads, it applies to the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, and (if available) Tamarind.

What about shoes? Do they have to be dress shoes?

The dress code is silent on the matter of shoes. Many people have foot problems, and can't wear what they would prefer any longer. :(

Hopefully, some shoes will be worn, though. :D

We happened to witness when he was refused entry and heard his wife grumble "I told you so....and now go back to the cabin and put on your tux." Too funny. And yes, his DW was dressed to kill :)

ROFL! That's bloody hilarious! He should have listened to her in the first place.

I realise it's difficult for a cruise line to state exactly what is ok, but maybe they should simply stick their necks out and be as descriptive as possible and put a few exact allowable options on their website. Seems simple to me.

I agree wholeheartedly with this!! Especially for those of us who have no bloody idea what "resort casual" (which they use as an explanation) is, and live or work in places where "office casual" means your jeans shouldn't have holes in them. The cruise industry is beginning to put cruising in reach for people outside of the more elite classes. That means that many of us don't know all the unwritten rules for what "appropriate" means. I have to wonder if some of the people who show up inappropriately dressed for the MDR simply didn't understand all the vague descriptions and gave up.

We sometimes wear smart jeans and shirts with collars. Also sometimes we wear smart pants.

So, I guess that means you are a smarty pants? ;)

The dress code is silent on the matter of shoes.

Unless you do the unthinkable, and arrive at the Mariner's Luncheon sporting sandals, the penalty for which is being subjected to snooty commentary from other passengers. :rolleyes: