Your thoughts on two Europe cruise options please

Hi, my wife and I are having a difficult time deciding between two European cruise options and would love to hear your feedback. The options are a 12 day cruise and 2 back to back 7 day cruises. Neither one of us has ever been to Europe.

Option 1

12 Night Mediterranean Greek Isles Cruise, Brilliance of the Seas - May 26, 2016

Barcelona, Nice France, Athens, Ephesus, Mykonos, Naples, Rome, Florence with 4 sea days total.

Option 2

7 Night Barcelona to Venice, Vision of the Seas - April 30, 2016

Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Naples, Catania, Venice with 2 sea days

7 Night Greek Isles Cruise, Vision of the Seas - May 7, 2016

Venice, Kotor, Corfu, Athens, Mykonos, Argostoli with 1 sea day.

Which option sounds better? Thanks in advance.

Hi, my wife and I are having a difficult time deciding between two European cruise options and would love to hear your feedback. The options are a 12 day cruise and 2 back to back 7 day cruises. Neither one of us has ever been to Europe.

Option 1

12 Night Mediterranean Greek Isles Cruise, Brilliance of the Seas - May 26, 2016

Barcelona, Nice France, Athens, Ephesus, Mykonos, Naples, Rome, Florence with 4 sea days total.

Option 2

7 Night Barcelona to Venice, Vision of the Seas - April 30, 2016

Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Naples, Catania, Venice with 2 sea days

7 Night Greek Isles Cruise, Vision of the Seas - May 7, 2016

Venice, Kotor, Corfu, Athens, Mykonos, Argostoli with 1 sea day.

Which option sounds better? Thanks in advance.

I'd go for option 2 as well. While you'd be missing Ephesus, that's a bit of a tiring day looking at ruins anyway (yes, I know, I'm a philistine). Sicily is just lovely, and with the potential for Venice cruises to be stopped in the coming years, I'd take that opportunity.

I'm the odd ball out...I think Option 1.

14 nights with only 3 sea days...and 1 embark/debark day...sounds exhausting. 12 nights with 4 sea days sounds like a much more enjoyable vacation over all.

I've never been on a Brilliance class ship, so I think I'd lean toward that ship over the Vision because that's the one class I haven't sailed or have a booked reservation for at this time.

I get the whole Venice as a port and being excited...but as I said...European cruises are TRAVEL...not relaxing...and the B2B would be too much for me.

Malaga and Barcelona were my first steps into Europe this past April. LOVED THEM.

I would opt for option #2 also. I'm not a big "sea day" person. If I'm in Europe I want to see and experience as much as possible. I can relax at home if I really want to. From home, I can't see the coliseum, Parthenon, canals in Venice, Parc Guell In Barcelona... Etc. I want to see as much as I can!!!

I would do option 2. I've never been to Europe but if I took a cruise there i would want to see as much as possible, so I'd go with less sea days. Sea days are fine in the caribbean when you're going to different islands that are similar in what they have to offer to begin with, but Europe is another story; every port city has it's own unique things to see and do, so it's really not just more of the same. Unless Id been there before or knew I would be able to go back again soon, I would definitely take more ports and less sea days...option 2!

I say option one.

The 12 day on Brilliance with 4 sea days sounds wonderful.

I've done the 7 day with 1 sea day.i:eek:

We were exhausted!

Every day was getting up early and touring. The one sea day we had, we all stayed in our cabins, worn out.

Once you choose your cruise, you're going to be so excited, because you want to take advantage of the limited time at ports.

Trust me and pace yourself!

Since our first Med cruise, we've learned to do just that. These cruises are exciting!

We pick one full day tour (7 to 9 hrs) and the other half day tours (3 to 5 hrs). We come back, eat, change clothes and head to a quiet solarium to enjoy ship time, while the ship is empty. We'll mix it up and take afternoon tours, so we can sleep in without the alarm waking us up at 6a.

I have not been to Venice. That's on my bucket list, so can't comment on that.

Whatever you decide, enjoy and pace yourself.

You'll enjoy your vacation more and most likely come home and plan for the next one.:D

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

We only have one chance at a european trip....we finally decided to do paris and venice before going on the reflection which included other must haves like rome and mykonos....if you know you can plan to go back pick the one you have enough energy for!!

Without ever being in Europe you might get overwhelmed by either option. You may consider a third option- a spring transatlantic (same time of the year, same overall length). Those are very reasonable in cost and include some European ports at the end. Whatever you choose, the port tour planning will likely be the biggest issue - for that, search the roll call for that sailings and see what other people are doing.:cool:

I'd go with option 1. I don't see the appeal of Vencie, I'd didn't care for it at all. St. Marks is nice but not much else. I hated being in the maze, it might be different for cruising in, but we stayed there pre-cruise for a couple days.

Plus with this option you get Florence which is an amazing city and so is Ephesus. To me the string of Greek islands is less appealing then the other option.

I agree with everyone else about the 7 days, 1 sea day being very tiring, but my solution to that is to pick and choose where I'll disembark, based on my interests. For example I'm not big into beaches, so I'd be inclined to stay on board if there was a beach day. I don't like Rome, so would give that a miss as well - it all depends on your own preferences.

I would do option 2. Give myself permission to skip a port or 2 and just stay on the boat. I'm sure you will be able to walk around Venice on turn around day but will have to back for muster drill.

Both options are amazing and it would be difficult to decide, you can't go wrong whatever your decision. If I had to choose, I would probably go with option 2 as I loved Venice and would really like to go back. We had an overnight there on our Brilliance cruise several years ago and it was truly beautiful. We had the best time wandering around the narrow streets!:D

You should be able to get off & explore on turn around day.

Sherri:)

We sailed a 12 night on Brilliance for our first cruise and I loved it so I would have leaned that way. But our cruise went to Venice and this one doesn't so I would pick option two. Venice is amazing plus you have two extra nights cruising which is always a good thing. Enjoy!

Thanks all, some great input there. If we did decide on option 2 is it possible to get off the ship to explore on turnaround day in Venice or do we have to stay onboard?

No problem getting off the ship on turnaround day.

I would personally do option 1 because I like the variety. Good mix of beautiful places i.e. Nice, Mykonos, Naples, Athens ruins i.e. Athens and Epheseus as well as history and art i.e. Barcelona, Florence and Rome.

IMO option 2 is heavy on the Greek islands and scenery and a bit light on the runs and history and art.

But it depends on your interests and goals. Both look like great itineraries. Hope you have a wonderful Mediterranean cruise.