We Gave NCL a Shot....

Michael, if you're looking at top end cruising, a lot of service, the following is our opinion,,,,

1) MSC Yacht Club (awesome service for a price slightly higher then a RCL Jr.)

2) NCL The Haven (same excellent service as MSC Yacht Club, but more $)

3) Celebrity Suite (access to Michael's Club Lounge)

4) RCL Suite (access to the Concierge Club)

Carnival Corp, don't bother, very little perks.

Thanks for sharing your view. MSC kind of started this little exploration, problem currently with them is their slim US presence though there seem to be indications they're working on that, we're keeping an eye on them.

NCL attracted my attention due to West Coast/Mexican Riv itineraries.

Celebrity... boy, if we'd only jumped on that Mardi Gras trip a little sooner once we found it. By time we booked the Celebrity Suites were gone and not too many Sky Suites left. Nice that we bring some RCL Status there, but I'm also hoping in a Celebrity Suite we're rewarded with some status. Truth be told we had a super time on Celebrity but the allure of Galveston being a few hours' drive away (and New Orleans the one time) and RCL the better of the two choices offered at that time set us on this path.

We went, we never had a "Bad" trip, but as you seem to understand, when you start shopping at that price point there are interesting choices available. Besides, a lot of the "stuff" we now get as Diamond still ranks below what we get for booking a GS.

After sailing aboard Getaway for the last 7 days I can say with confidence...NEVER again.

I will remain Loyal to Royal!!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding differences between the two lines.

would love to know what you did and did not like...

I personally prefer RCCL but I found the food and the choices of food on NCL far better than royal, and NCL would be my second pick behind RCCL.

52, now 53 responses and no follow up from the OP. Seems like some like to wind up the members and then watch the show. Oh well. I'm done contributing to keeping the thread alive. Good night. :)

Last activity was shortly after posting this morning. Maybe she is simply enjoying the weekend with her beautiful family. :)

After sailing aboard Getaway for the last 7 days I can say with confidence...NEVER again.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding differences between the two lines.

It isn't about the questions people might have for you....it is about YOU providing some concrete information as to YOUR cruise and why you will 'never again' cruise on NCL.

Then based on what you have to say, people may have questions for you.

Until then, what you have said, is rather useless.

It isn't about the questions people might have for you....it is about YOU providing some concrete information as to YOUR cruise and why you will 'never again' cruise on NCL.

Agreed. OP looks like a drive-by poster.

Now that is one tiny balcony. Can't even stretch your legs out any.

That's not a balcony, its a ledge!

I'm surprised they would design the balconies so small on NCL when they know what their competition offers in terms of size .... that's pathetic and i'd be PISSED if I paid for a balcony and got that.

I never understand comments such as "never again" especially with no explanation. How bad of a cruise can it actually be?

Been on Breakaway and while service wasn't that great along with some other minor issues, I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Yes the standard balconies are small, knees are just inches away from touching the glass but personally we don't live on them every waking moment. Like most ships, the aft ones are huge.

If there is a flaw(?) to the Getaway/Breakaway, it is the balconies are too small.

That said they are still far more likable ships to us then the Oasis Shopping Mall Class.:)

Not for me. The Oasis class hands down are the best ships around! LOVE them.:D

Not for me. The Oasis class hands down are the best ships around! LOVE them.:D

After trying the LOS I agree. I missed the Allure:( Shopping mall? Totally disagree. Central Park was my favorite.

Edited by sauvichick

I said as much in the NCL forum where he or she cross posted. Why not wait until they get home to actually write their review and post it as opposed to write about writing a review. Seems like OP is rather an attention seeking type of individual.

We feel the same after sailing on Getaway last month, if we werent already past final payment on another Getaway sailing for next month we would cancel and switch back to Royal. But no more NCL as a standard.

Down sides:

Buffet areas-Layout in the buffet area forces all those using the aft elevators to exit through the dinning room areas. The staff in buffet do not offer to get your drinks, if you want soda you have to go all the way aft in the Garden Cafe buffet to the only bar and wait in the lines. They dont offer service of coffee or anything as they do on RCCL. They interupt your meal to restock utensils on the table. Food is ok, nothing really good except that you can get fresh made omlets for breakfast.

The dinning room service is hit or miss, found that Savor had much better service over the other 2 dinning rooms.

The famed "waterfront" is limited to dinning only to the upcharge restaurants. There is a nice bar area "Sunset Bar" with good seating.

Balconys are about half the size of Royal, we enjoy our balcony time for sail away and relaxing before dinner.

Pool area horrible, just as crowded as everyone complains, they dont allow kids in the main pool but they do allow them in the hot tubs, odd. The kids pool is set up weird and has a split area down the middle, its deep enough for kids or adults to cool in, one day we saw them kick a lady who was holding her 3-6 month old baby out of the kids pool and told her she had to keep the child in the splash area, WHAT!!! Why is it the kids pool if she cant hold the baby in there. Another night we saw them kick a man and his 8-10 yr old out of the adults pool when they were the only 2 in there, the sign next to adults pool reads under 12 with an adult.

The hot tubs next to the adults pool became a drink fest including bottles of liquor, where did those come from??? and the number of people in the hot tub overflowing so the we were standing on the sides hang onto the hand rails.

The food in the dinning rooms was fair to ok but I have never sent a meal back on royal and I sent a cool temperature steak back on NCL. We did not do rooms service, wont pay for that as we dont need to on RCCL. The last morning the buffet offered breakfast which is better than RCCL. The bathroom was nicer that RCCL although not much shower pressure. The bed was not as comfortable as RCCL, TV channels were good, internet options good.

Rope course enjoyable, the plank walk a must, the water slides good but the ones with the floor dropping out has minimum of 99 pounds to do it.

We didnt do much entertainment at night with the little ones, we did try the glow party with them, they wanted to leave it was too crowded and was more like a club dance party.

While at dinner one eve the asst cruise director stopped at our table to ask about our cruise, we gave him our impression as first time NCL cruisers, good and bad points, we compared it to RCCL. At the end I told him to ask the 9 yr old twin sons if they preferred this cruise over last year on the smaller RCCL Enchantment of the seas, they both said at same time the Enchantment of the Seas because the pool areas were so much better. Its a girls trip in September on the Getaway so I may have different opinion when traveling without kids. Still sticking with RCCL as our first choice.

Edited by Suzyrn89

Funny, I just sent FIFTEEN new NCL cruisers on 3 different Getaway cruises ( I'm a agent) AND ALL FIFTEEN raved about the Getaway and said it BLEW RCI away in every category- food ( they all had the dining package), entertainment ( "BEST" they ever saw) , service was great...ALL 15 passengers- WOW! I was blown away...6 of them are Diamond on RCI...they ALREADY have asked me to book the new Escape coming up!! Just an FYI..4 of them are good friends, and have been on the Oasis & Allure 3x and said, the Getaway had so much more to do and again, LOVED eating in different restaurants every night...

I'm surprised they would design the balconies so small on NCL when they know what their competition offers in terms of size .... that's pathetic and i'd be PISSED if I paid for a balcony and got that.

It didn't occur to me that balconies could be so different. The term relax with breaky on the balcony doesn't work with that. I would be a bit sad I must say.

Thanks to the other posters for their balcony pictures. A real eye opener!

My thoughts exactly. I had a mini suite on Getaway and the balcony was the most asinine, pathetic design I've ever seen on a ship. I thought Royal Princess was bad but as shown in the pictures on this thread, even Royal (and Regal) Princess' were wider than Getaway.

Having sailed the newest ships of all the major lines, I still contend that nothing compares to Oasis Class. As for the comment that said "FIFTEEN raved about the Getaway and said it BLEW RCI away in every category," I'm throwing the BS flag on that one.

Funny, I just sent FIFTEEN new NCL cruisers on 3 different Getaway cruises ( I'm a agent) AND ALL FIFTEEN raved about the Getaway and said it BLEW RCI away in every category- food ( they all had the dining package), entertainment ( "BEST" they ever saw) , service was great...ALL 15 passengers- WOW! I was blown away...6 of them are Diamond on RCI...they ALREADY have asked me to book the new Escape coming up!! Just an FYI..4 of them are good friends, and have been on the Oasis & Allure 3x and said, the Getaway had so much more to do and again, LOVED eating in different restaurants every night...

Suuuuuuure.

Unless the "fifteen" people all used the specialty restaurants every single night on their Royal cruises, this would not be a fair comparison. It would be interesting to hear their opinions if all of them didn't have the dining package on NCL.:eek:

Since OP never came back to explain anything, I'm with the others who think this was posted to stir things up.:rolleyes:

Unless the "fifteen" people all used the specialty restaurants every single night on their Royal cruises, this would not be a fair comparison. It would be interesting to hear their opinions if all of them didn't have the dining package on NCL.:eek:

Since OP never came back to explain anything, I'm with the others who think this was posted to stir things up.:rolleyes:

He or she did the same in the NCL boards. Never came through with details or reviews. They wanted the attention and they got it, unfortunately.

My thoughts exactly. I had a mini suite on Getaway and the balcony was the most asinine, pathetic design I've ever seen on a ship. I thought Royal Princess was bad but as shown in the pictures on this thread, even Royal (and Regal) Princess' were wider than Getaway.

Having sailed the newest ships of all the major lines, I still contend that nothing compares to Oasis Class. As for the comment that said "FIFTEEN raved about the Getaway and said it BLEW RCI away in every category," I'm throwing the BS flag on that one.

You are wrong..not only that..I went to my Podiatrist yesterday and he just got off the Getaway and he has done both Oasis & Allure..he also told me his wife & 2 kids had a better time on the Getaway than the 2 RCI ships- and he is Diamond, as am I...and don't be so rude..I've done 31 cruises, 14 on RCI, and love RCI..but I don't lie ( never about cruises), and don't exaggerate..I agree the balconies are smaller, but you don't eat the balconies, and as a friend no doubt will come on here and tell you, he didn't mind too much when he was on the sister ship, the Breakaway..BTW, I thought the bathrooms & shower on the Getaway were much nicer than the Oasis...my friend was on the sister ship Breakaway and told me today that he "can't believe anyone would not like these ships..I can't.."....and my friend said the MDR was pretty mediocre, but they were offered the specialty dining package and took it & loved it, as did most of the people I booked..to the other wise guys, I don't "stir" things up...I don't post nearly as much as I used to..too many bullies & too many rude people on these boards..If you didn't like the Getaway & NCL, don't cruise them again..BTW, my friend who will no doubt come on this went on the Adventure Of The Seas last Feb '14 , and said THAT was the worst cruise on RCI they had been on- mediocre to terrible food & terrible shows, and told me the Breakaway was 10x better...different strokes for different folks...