What do you request?

music

Don't want to take the thread in another direction but...has anyone given their steward a bit of tip when you know they're going off ship for personal time off?

You mean on your cruise? Personal time off when you are cruising or

when they are going home for vacation? Sometimes they don't even

get off the ship when it is in port.....sometimes I will ask my waiter

or cabin attendant if they get to go into port but as for giving them

an extra tip for that time? You can always do whatever you like but nope,

I don't give them extra money for that time. Sometimes all they want

to do is take a nap.....

Just a couple of the usual things:

• Feather pillows
  • Wine Glasses
  • Champagne Glasses
  • Ice bucket for wine
  • Fill mini bar with ONLY Coke and Coors beer
  • Replace duvet with blanket
  • Water pitcher filled half way with ice refreshed 3x daily
  • Two extra towels folded in a square (not rectangular) with each towel change
  • Bed's put together every morning but separated at turn down
  • Loungers for the deck
  • Three extra sitting chairs
  • extra hangers
  • store luggage for us
  • Cardboard box covered with sheet for laundry bin
  • Extra bottled water on counter
  • Towel animals daily (No Monkeys!!)
  • Cleaned and sanitized glasses daily (no cleaning with dusting cloth)
  • 14 rolls of extra toilet paper
  • 3 extra boxes of Kleenex
  • two copies of daily program each evening
  • Blanket to use as covering for fake leather sofa
  • Roll of string
  • Extra laundry bags and forms
  • And a partridge in a pear tree!

Umm, you are kidding about the 14 rolls of TP aren't you? I hope you tip well!

You mean on your cruise? Personal time off when you are cruising or

when they are going home for vacation? Sometimes they don't even

get off the ship when it is in port.....sometimes I will ask my waiter

or cabin attendant if they get to go into port but as for giving them

an extra tip for that time? You can always do whatever you like but nope,

I don't give them extra money for that time. Sometimes all they want

to do is take a nap.....

Sorry-could have been clearer. Yes, every steward we've had has had some time off during the cruise--and some have gone off the ship. I've always thought it might have been nice if we'd given them a little spending cash. I'm sure you're totally right about many of them choosing to sleep! I can't imagine working that hard AND maintaining such a positive attitude!

Sorry-could have been clearer. Yes, every steward we've had has had some time off during the cruise--and some have gone off the ship. I've always thought it might have been nice if we'd given them a little spending cash. I'm sure you're totally right about many of them choosing to sleep! I can't imagine working that hard AND maintaining such a positive attitude!

It really does vary port to port, cruise to cruise, ship to ship....

Some go for 2/3 hours to shop for themselves and friends for

"necessities"......toiletries and stuff....some may get 1/2 day and

go to the beach....some sleep in.......and not all crew can even

get off the ship in every port at all.

If you want to give them extra $ for that stuff, like I said, that is up

to you.

You asked if people do that.....I can't answer for other people.......

I usually give extra at the end of the cruise, but that is just me.

Edited by Lois R

to you.

Thanks, Lois R. :)

That has been our experience also, the crew seldom get off the ship to site-see, but rather to shop for essentials....oftentimes for their friends also. I have seen many crew members returning to the ship with bags of shampoo, snacks, toiletries, etc.

What do you ask of your room steward on day one? We are new to Celebrity and booked Aqua. Many cruises on RCL, but this is all new to us!

Anything special you request when you board?

An extension cord for my C-Pap machine & distilled water for the humidifier. Perhaps a few more pillows.That's pretty much about it

On our recent cruise on Silhouette we had to ask the room steward to empty the bathroom of the previous occupant's waste (very personal waste) and also many of their personal possessions which were left in the bathroom drawers. We also had to ask him for a pen, some binoculars (we were in Aqua) and we gave up on the notepaper. Throughout the cruise we had to ask whenever we wanted the toiletries replenished. No, we didn't stash them in our luggage. I guess we didn't have a very good room steward but it was not a happy start to the cruise.

The steward you had may not be the one who cleaned the cabin(or didn't)before you came aboard. They rotate the staff frequently.

You show respect and it's returned by the staff. Slobs are slobs, but some appear to feel that they're on vacationed others are "paid to pick up their mess". Obviously neither you nor I feel that way.

We usually pretty much make our own bed. Yeah, if you look up "Anal Rententive" in the dictionary, you'll probably see my picture!

to you.

Some of us do this as well. It's nice to see those who care!

I always ask for ice (our latest cruise on Equinox, there wasn't an ice bucket, and I asked the steward on the first day if we could have one, and he bought one that night - but no ice in it [emoji6]. I guess I wasn't specific enough! After that it was hit and miss whether he filled it - I think he did it about twice in a 7 night cruise. He was very good - I think I probably just didn't get the message across properly that we wanted an ice bucket *with ice in it* [emoji3]

Wish I'd thought to ask for extra/different pillows - the pillows on equinox were horrible - literally the worst I've ever had on a cruise or anywhere else. Really small, and lumpy.

I've never done it but always wondered how it would go down to ask for the sheets on my bed not to be tucked in under the mattress. I don't like tucked in sheets, and so go around the bed every night pulling them out and undoing all their hard work. But I worry that if they leave the sheets loose, they might get in trouble with their supervisor if there is an inspection, and I don't want to put them in an awkward position.

So, other than ice, don't really ask for anything. I never have asked for mini bar to be emptied but can see why you might - if it's emptied "officially", less risk of being charged I'd have thought. If you just take the stuff put yourself and put it in a drawer, isn't there a risk that they will restock and charge you?

The two large bottles of Evian cluttering our cabin were a bit annoying - we had an Ultimate drinks package and definitely didn't have a need to pay $5 for a bottle of Evian. I kept trying to move them out of the way, eg putting them on the floor behind the waste paper basket, and the steward kept dutifully putting them back on the desk again!

On Eclipse, we were very dismayed to find that our ice bucket had been replaced with an annoying basket of for-sale snacks. We asked to have those (and the for-sale Evian) removed -- along with the contents of the mini-fridge. I hate that it makes more work for an already busy cabin crew. But, unless you're in a suite, cabin space is very precious. I don't want mine cluttered up with stuff that I have NO interest in purchasing -- especially, when it takes the place of something that I DO need (like an ice bucket). :rolleyes:

On Eclipse, we were very dismayed to find that our ice bucket had been replaced with an annoying basket of for-sale snacks. We asked to have those (and the for-sale Evian) removed -- along with the contents of the mini-fridge. I hate that it makes more work for an already busy cabin crew. But, unless you're in a suite, cabin space is very precious. I don't want mine cluttered up with stuff that I have NO interest in purchasing -- especially, when it takes the place of something that I DO need (like an ice bucket). :rolleyes:

I agree. We did the same thing. I did not notice a basket on our last Summit cruise thank goodness.

I always ask for ice (our latest cruise on Equinox, there wasn't an ice bucket, and I asked the steward on the first day if we could have one, and he bought one that night - but no ice in it [emoji6]. I guess I wasn't specific enough! After that it was hit and miss whether he filled it - I think he did it about twice in a 7 night cruise. He was very good - I think I probably just didn't get the message across properly that we wanted an ice bucket *with ice in it* [emoji3]

Wish I'd thought to ask for extra/different pillows - the pillows on equinox were horrible - literally the worst I've ever had on a cruise or anywhere else. Really small, and lumpy.

I've never done it but always wondered how it would go down to ask for the sheets on my bed not to be tucked in under the mattress. I don't like tucked in sheets, and so go around the bed every night pulling them out and undoing all their hard work. But I worry that if they leave the sheets loose, they might get in trouble with their supervisor if there is an inspection, and I don't want to put them in an awkward position.

So, other than ice, don't really ask for anything. I never have asked for mini bar to be emptied but can see why you might - if it's emptied "officially", less risk of being charged I'd have thought. If you just take the stuff put yourself and put it in a drawer, isn't there a risk that they will restock and charge you?

The two large bottles of Evian cluttering our cabin were a bit annoying - we had an Ultimate drinks package and definitely didn't have a need to pay $5 for a bottle of Evian. I kept trying to move them out of the way, eg putting them on the floor behind the waste paper basket, and the steward kept dutifully putting them back on the desk again!

Time to trade up to Oceania

Depending on the mattress, an egg crate mattress topper.

A mattress pad cover over the egg crate. Its too warm with just the sheet and it sort of grosses me out to not have some sort of mattress cover.

Additional pillows

Whenever weve asked for the minibar to be emptied, they put the contents on the shelf above the mini bar:confused:

I agree. We did the same thing. I did not notice a basket on our last Summit cruise thank goodness.

We didn't have one in our cabin on that cruise either, AnnaMarie. Hopefully, they're being phased out entirely. Although, when the new President/CEO was on her "picnic basket" kick, my immediate thought was: Oh Boy -- that's what we'll find in our room next -- full of items for sale, of course! :rolleyes:;)

Edited by wwcruisers

The steward you had may not be the one who cleaned the cabin(or didn't)before you came aboard. They rotate the staff frequently.

IMO the cabin attendant assigned to our cabin during our Cruises (first day until the last evening) has responsibility no matter if she/he is newly assigned or not is to ensure everything is spotless and organized. Anything less than that is unacceptable and especially on the fist day of the Cruise. First impression goes a long way. During our Cruises we always ensure all our personal belongings are picked up and stowed when we vacate the cabin so nothing is laying around that would cause the cabin attendant not to be able to perform hers/his assigned duties in a timely and professional matter. That includes making the bed. Now back to the OPs question. Extra hangers and ice everyday, please.

Edited by davekathy

This reminds me of one of my favorite hotel stories, wether this story is true or not, I do not know. But when I was managing hotels in the late 90's this was always posted in our housekeeping closets:

Dear Maid,

Please do not leave any more of those little bars of soap in my bathroom since I have brought my own bath-sized Dial. Please remove the six unopened little bars from the shelf under the medicine chest and another three in the shower soap dish. They are in my way.

Thank you,

S. Berman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Room 635,

I am not your regular maid. She will be backtomorrow, Thursday, from her day off. I took the 3 hotel soaps out of the shower soap dish as you requested. The 6 bars on your shelf I took out of your way and put on top of yourKleenex dispenser in case you should change your mind. This leaves only the 3 bars I lefttoday which my instructions from the management is to leave 3 soaps daily. I hope this issatisfactory.

Kathy,

Relief Maid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Maid,

I hope you are my regular maid. Apparently Kathy did not tell you about my note to her concerning the little bars of soap. When I gotback to my room this evening I found you had added 3 little Camays to the shelf under mymedicine cabinet. I am going to be here in the hotel for two weeks and have brought my ownbath-size Dial so I won't need those 6 little Camays which are on the shelf. They are inmy way when shaving, brushing teeth, etc. Please remove them.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

My day off was last Wed. so the relief maid left3 hotel soaps which we are instructed by the management. I took the 6 soaps which were inyour way on the shelf and put them in the soap dish where your Dial was. I put the Dial inthe medicine cabinet for your convenience. I didn't remove the 3 complimentary soaps whichare always placed inside the medicine cabinet for all new check-ins and which you did notobject to when you checked in last Monday. Please let me know if I can of further assistance.

Your regular maid,

Dotty

Dear Mr. Berman,

The assistant manager, Mr. Kensedder, informed methis morning that you called him last evening and said you were unhappy with your maid service. I have assigned a new girl to your room. I hope you will accept my apologies for any past inconvenience. If you have any future complaints please contact me so I can give it my personal attention. Call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM. Thank you.

Elaine Carmen

Housekeeper

Dear Miss Carmen,

It is impossible to contact you by phone since Ileave the hotel for business at 7:45 AM and don't get back before 5:30 or 6PM. That's the reason I called Mr. Kensedder last night. You were already off duty. I only asked Mr.Kensedder if he could do anything about those little bars of soap. The new maid you assigned me must have thought I was a new check-in today, since she left another 3 bars ofhotel soap in my medicine cabinet along with her regular delivery of 3 bars on thebath-room shelf. In just 5 days here I have accumulated 24 little bars of soap. Why areyou doing this to me?

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

Your maid, Kathy, has been instructed to stop delivering soap to your room and remove the extra soaps. If I can be of further assistance, please call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM.Thank you,

Elaine Carmen,

Housekeeper

Dear Mr. Kensedder,

My bath-size Dial is missing. Every bar of soapwas taken from my room including my own bath-size Dial. I came in late last night and had to call the bellhop to bring me 4 little Cashmere Bouquets.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

I have informed our housekeeper, Elaine Carmen, o fyour soap problem. I cannot understand why there was no soap in your room since our maids are instructed to leave 3 bars of soap each time they service a room. The situation will be rectified immediately. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Martin L. Kensedder

Assistant Manager

Dear Mrs. Carmen,

Who the hell left 54 little bars of Camay in my room? I came in last night and found 54 little bars of soap. I don't want 54 little bars of Camay. I want my one damn bar of bath-size Dial. Do you realize I have 54 bars o fsoap in here. All I want is my bath size Dial. Please give me back my bath-size Dial.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

You complained of too much soap in your room so I had them removed. Then you complained to Mr. Kensedder that all your soap was missing so I personally returned them. The 24 Camays which had been taken and the 3 Camays you are supposed to receive daily. I don't know anything about the 4 Cashmere Bouquets. Obviously your maid, Kathy, did not know I had returned your soaps so she also brought 24 Camays plus the 3 daily Camays. I don't know where you got the idea this hotel issues bath-size Dial. I was able to locate some bath-size Ivory which I left in your room.

Elaine Carmen

Housekeeper

Dear Mrs. Carmen,

Just a short note to bring you up-to-date on mylatest soap inventory. As of today I possess:

• On the shelf under medicine cabinet - 18 Camay in 4 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 2.
  • On the Kleenex dispenser - 11 Camay in 2 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 3.
  • On the bedroom dresser - 1 stack of 3 Cashmere Bouquet, - 1 stack of 4 hotel-size Ivory, and 8 Camay in 2 stacks of 4.
  • Inside the medicine cabinet - 14 Camay in 3 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 2.
  • In the shower soap dish - 6 Camay, very moist.
  • On the northeast corner of tub - 1 Cashmere Bouquet, slightly used.
  • On the northwest corner of tub - 6 Camays in 2 stacks of 3.

Please ask Kathy when she services my room to make sure the stacks are neatly piled and dusted. Also, please advise her that stacks of more than 4 have a tendency to tip. May I suggest that my bedroom window sill is not in use and will make an excellent spot for future soap deliveries. One more item, I have purchased another bar of bath-sized Dial which I am keeping in the hotel vault inorder to avoid further misunderstandings.

S. Berman

Two requests for first day--

Remove ALL feather pillows, because I have allergies.

Empty the mini-bar because I have to refrigerate medication. I know, I know, it doesnt' get extremely cold, but I can't put it in direct contact with ice either.

Ice bucket and ice can wait. Usually it's there in the evening.

Kathy

• 1 month later...

We were told on a Carnival cruise (and I assume Celebrity does the same thing) that unbooked excursion slots cab be taken by crew members with time off, and for substantially less than we pay. They are required to dress out of uniform. Staff also like stops in Panama; apparently there are a wider array of less expensive toiletry items.

Edited by artmc