Carnival cruiser, first time on X, sour taste already

jen&samcantwait

I rarely let things get to me, and I know I will have a great cruise no matter what, but this really bugged me.

As stated in the title, we are Carnival cruisers, because we qualify for a great rate with them, and have enjoyed all of our cruises with them so far, but, had an opportunity to book with Celebrity that I was really excited about. I (Jen) booked the cruise myself, over the phone, DH (Sam) is my guest on that booking. Got an email from them today, to my email address, trying to sell the drink package. My problem you ask, IT WAS ADDRESSED TO SAM, Dear Samuel!!! Again, I'm the one that booked it, and paid for it. I know Celebrity is supposed to be higher class than Carnival, but are they that old fashioned that they must only communicate with the gentleman? When I look at my reservation online, I'm listed first.

Sorry to vent, but hoping some of you might have some insight. Is this what I should expect on the cruise as well, am I subservient to my Husband? This has to be some kind of mistake, just has me a little worried about what to expect.

Got an email from them today, to my email address, trying to sell the drink package. My problem you ask, IT WAS ADDRESSED TO SAM, Dear Samuel!!! Again, I'm the one that booked it, and paid for it. I know Celebrity is supposed to be higher class than Carnival, but are they that old fashioned that they must only communicate with the gentleman?

I fully expect you will get your own e-mail shortly, inviting you to buy the drink package. You'll probably each get e-mails about shore excursions, dining reservations, and other things. Try not to take it personally - it's just how e-mails are sent out - to each passenger. His arrived first, no big deal.

OK?

Have a great cruise. :)

My situation is the opposite. I am guest1, and DW is guest 2. She has been getting most of the emails for this cruise. Actually, they come to me, addressed to Mrs evenpar.

I guess I should be furious for this discrimination!

Actually, I think most of us can guess that IT had a hand in this.

Don't feel bad, I do all the booking work for our cruises and my wife gets all the nice emails, even a happy birthday email a few days ago. I never get anything, but the bill.

Edited by sptrout

Don't hold that against them. They have some IT issues. I helped booked for our friends last year. We had our own room and our friends were a separate booking in theirs. To this day, I still get emails address to my girlfriend (all sales type emails). There have been no issues on cruises since then, etc., just the emails addressed to her. We took our first 9 cruises on Carnival, then one more a couple years ago and we wouldn't go back. I love Celebrity now and will cruise with them exclusively going forward, unless there is a really good reason not to.

Hello,

Just to add to the similar examples. I have booked all of our Celebrity cruises for my wife and I; paid with credit card in my name; purchased all of the drink packages (if we bought); made any and all excursion reservations (if we purchased); any issues addressed to Celebrity, both by mail and email have been done by me...etc..However, all snail mail, and email offers from Celebrity...go to my wife !! Been this way since 2007 ! However, once onboard...who cares...!!

And like another poster said...I don't even get a Happy Birthday email from Celebrity (but do from a cruise line I haven't been on since 1974) !:D

The shipboard experience, service, and wonderful staff, far exceed anything from the land based Celebrity !!...oh, and my Birthday celebrations onboard have been recognized and wonderful too !

Enjoy !

BBL

I rarely let things get to me, and I know I will have a great cruise no matter what, but this really bugged me.

As stated in the title, we are Carnival cruisers, because we qualify for a great rate with them, and have enjoyed all of our cruises with them so far, but, had an opportunity to book with Celebrity that I was really excited about. I (Jen) booked the cruise myself, over the phone, DH (Sam) is my guest on that booking. Got an email from them today, to my email address, trying to sell the drink package. My problem you ask, IT WAS ADDRESSED TO SAM, Dear Samuel!!! Again, I'm the one that booked it, and paid for it. I know Celebrity is supposed to be higher class than Carnival, but are they that old fashioned that they must only communicate with the gentleman? When I look at my reservation online, I'm listed first.

Sorry to vent, but hoping some of you might have some insight. Is this what I should expect on the cruise as well, am I subservient to my Husband? This has to be some kind of mistake, just has me a little worried about what to expect.

First of all, let me answer your question since few people here seem to be respectful enough to have empathy for your concerns. Once again people are disparaging for no real purpose. No, there is not a problem with Celebrity treating women differently than men. As one person indicated it is more than likely an IT issue.

You will love Celebrity; IMO they treat their customers wonderfully.

Enjoy your cruise. :D

Edited by Cruisercl

I agree with the last poster - you got some snarky responses but I can assure you that the experience on line and on the phone does NOT match the experience on board. They are 180 degrees apart. If we judged Celebrity based on our our pre-cruise experience then no one would ever sail. It's just a problem they have. But on board it's wonderful.

They will hand you a glass of champagne or a mimosa the moment you step on board and you'll be wowed by the elegance and the service and the food. You will have a fabulous cruise.

Keep hanging out here on the Celebrity board a bit before you cruise. You can find answers to all your questions and more. Know that only about 8% to 10% of your fellow passengers have even heard of cruise critic. Sign up and participate in your Roll Call (if you haven't already) and plan some independent excursions and travel fun with those who are going to be on your cruise. It can be a lovely way to anticipate your first Celebrity cruise.

Relax and just anticipate a wonderful time. It is probably going to be a bit different in some ways than your past cruises which is a good thing. It's nice to try new things. Just remember their IT dept. isn't great but their onboard experience is.

BTW we get random emails from them all the time, both of us, or one of us, on things regarding our cruise that we've taken care of already or have no plans to. We just ignore most of those things.

If you are within 60 days of booking you might consider transferring your booking to one of the large online travel agencies. We always do, and they give us additional perks. It's a win win for us. We get Celebrity's "stuff" and then we get theirs. If you book with them direct you STILL get Celebrity's perks at the time PLUS theirs. I can't recommend any here due to cruise critic's rules, but they are easy to find through google.

C-Dragon said: But it doesn't bother you, does it? Or make you feel like a second class citizen? I've had the same experience as you and the OP, but it doesn't affect my opinion of X, nor does it have any impact on the enjoyment of my cruises with them.

Is that what "wind up" means?

No, it doesn't bother me. I work for a federal court and, until a few years ago, the male was always listed first on a case regardless of what the documents said. It can the IT system or the culture, it doesn't matter as long as they treat me well. And Celebrity always does.

Edited by patty1955

First of all, let me answer your question since few people here seem to be respectful enough to have empathy for your concerns....

...you got some snarky responses

Just so that everyone knows, those replies were deleted. My reply to OP was not first in line, so I know that this thread was edited. Just wanted to clear that up because as it stands now, none of the replies is snarky. :)

Haha. I am new to X (see signature) and within five minutes of booking with them their website gave me SERIOUS misgivings. Tuscan Grille was (maybe still is) described as an "Italian Stakehouse". At the time I booked, you could buy 90 minutes of Internet time for $59, or you could buy 24 hours of Internet time for $59.

I'm choosing to be amused, because all the cruise websites are basically a joke.

OP - I can see why that could bug you regardless of what others say, but you also did note that it would not ruin your cruise (or words to that effect).

However, for me it brought back memories of an interaction with the telephone company some years ago when we moved to a new house a few blocks from our old one. There was a question they had about our phone wiring and they wanted to send someone out to check on it. I set an appointment time that I (the wife) could be home from work. The woman on the phone said - oh, we would prefer if the man of the house could be home. Somehow I remained fairly calm and said _ Look, for years I have been signing the check to pay you each month and NO ONE ever sent it back with a note saying "We would prefer it if the man of the house would sign the check." So - if my signature is good enough for the check, I am good enough to speak with your representative when he comes to the house!

No hassle after that, although I did have a male neighbor in the back of our house in case the representative even suggested needing to speak to "the man of the house" as I wanted to get the issue resolved. After all, at the moment he was the man "in" the house. No need however.

Another instance here of my DW getting all the emails. I get the cruise confirmation when we pay something, but she gets all the offers. Maybe this is smarter than we think. Even though I am the "payer", she is a major motivation!

I have several cruises booked at this time. My DW usually does the booking and the payment is always on my card. Sometimes she gets the emails, sometimes i get the emails. Doesn't really matter to us since we share the messages. Just received one today offering a drink package for an October cruise. Since I receive the Premium Package as a benefit there is really no need to purchase a Classic Package. These emails are just generated to each booking number and often they are addressed to whomever is listed first on the reservation.

In my case, I get the e-mails, I get the mailings, I get the specials and I get the bills. But my DH gets to pay the bills and read all the correspondence and to enjoy his cruise with me, his DW. You will have a great cruise on Celebrity and don't sweat the small stuff.:cool:

1. The first American Female Captain is now aboard Summit.

2. The President and CEO of Celebrity cruises is a female.

3. All of the Godmothers on S Class ships are Breast Cancer survivors and Celebrity holds events onboard to raise funds for the fight against Breast Cancer.

Don't that their actions support the thesis that they feel that women are in any way

subservient to men.

You are not subservient to your husband and believe Celebrity just made a mistake. I have been receiving emails, etc addressed to my son for over 20 years. This started when he was 8 years old. I have tried numerous times to have this addressed with not luck. This is within the Captains Club since at the time children were allowed to join.

Orator makes great points... In addition to having events on board for Breast Cancer, they hold events in Miami for Breast Cancer.

Edited by dkjretired

Just so that everyone knows, those replies were deleted. My reply to OP was not first in line, so I know that this thread was edited. Just wanted to clear that up because as it stands now, none of the replies is snarky. :)

Langley Cruisers - Agreed; you are in no way the posts I was referring to. :) I thank the moderators for their due diligence.

Orator, thanks for this info! I did not know all of this information; I am a 'relatively' new Celebrity cruiser.

"1. The first American Female Captain is now aboard Summit.

3. All of the Godmothers on S Class ships are Breast Cancer survivors and Celebrity holds events onboard to raise funds for the fight against Breast Cancer.

I am involved in the Breast Cancer support community and this is fantastic news. (Where have I been that I did not know this? :rolleyes: )

Hi Jen,

The ships and cruise experience are amazing on Celebrity. It's a good thing you booked by phone. If you want a really bad Celebrity experience then try out their website.:mad:

Regards

Ed

Sorry to vent, but hoping some of you might have some insight. Is this what I should expect on the cruise as well, am I subservient to my Husband? This has to be some kind of mistake...

I completely understand your feeling in this matter but never you fear. Celebrity gave me a free sex change operation not to mention that they managed to overlook that we had been sailing with them for seven years at he time that I wrote the following message. I started a new thread titled "Celebrity Strikes Again" in December of 2013. Before I go any further though, rest assured that my sex change was completely painless.

Here is the message:

I suppose that I should be happy to hear from Celebrity at all no matter what the content of their message given all the website problems and all of the Captain's Club transition problems that have recently surfaced.

Still, I had to laugh when I opened the following message which arrived just after 3:30 this morning:

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you for your interest in Celebrity Cruises. We're always happy to welcome new friends, and we love keeping you up-to-date with everything we're doing, including all our latest offers. If you'd like to continue receiving exciting news from us, click here We're looking forward to keeping in touch with you.

To learn more about surrounding yourself in modern luxury aboard a Celebrity Cruises vacation via E-mail, be sure to add
to your address book of trusted senders. If you'd like to learn more about the Celebrity experience now, just click the images below to view some of our exciting videos.

The irony of this is that we have been cruising with Celebrity for the last seven years, have been Captains Club members since right after the first cruise and have two cruises booked with them currently. The other problem is that I AM NOT A KATHLEEN.

Always nice to experience that personal touch. For those whose cruise credits are screwed up not to worry. You're still in the minor leagues. I just got a sex change operation from =X=!!!!

Everyone have a great morning out there.

Fortunately the War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B) is not the jealous type nor is she a KATHLEEN so go forth and enjoy your Celebrity experience. Everything will work out OK in the end.

:D:D:):D:Dexpect.

I have no proof, but am convinced the RCCL (Royal Caribbean and X) software simply assumes the alphabetically first name is the primary customer. My wife is a "K" and I'm an "M"; she's the primary passenger on all our itineraries, although I'm the "payer" on the onboard account.

And no, it doesn't appear to be "fixable" with their software. We just laugh about it!

1. The first American Female Captain is now aboard Summit.

Don't that their actions support the thesis that they feel that women are in any way

subservient to men.

Very well said. Discussion over.