Eighteen new shows in the next 18 months

wendychloecruiser

As for the new shows: As far as I understood this will concern the Broadway style show and signature shows of each ship. Those will be replaced by the new shows. All others are headliners anyway. Especially for the signature show the contracts usually last for 5 years.

steamboats

We are just off the best ship in the fleet, that being The Eclipse and we were advised by Sue Denning of some exciting developments in regards to the production shows.

Celebrity is now going to be producing their own shows and will thus have complete ownership and thus control of them. Celebrity has a huge production facility in South Florida where all the shows will be developed from conception through to fruition. The initial two shows will be rolled out on The Eclipse in the next three weeks and on The Silhouette (yikes, I think it was the sil!). There will be some interruption and limitation of shows over the next three cruises on the eclipse, particularly the third one from today where there won't be any production shows. Of course there will be plenty of other types of entertainment offered.

As for the question of Acapella groups, these have been pulled due to their expense (as they require several cabins) and lack of popularity.

Great news.

Hi everyone,

I've seen two of the new shows, IMagic on the Summit, and Elyria on the Constellation.

I thought they were better and more innovative than the previous Celebrity production offerings, with the sets, lighting, themes, but the shows (in my opinion ) were nice but not spectacular.

On the Celebrity Production 18 for 18 feed,

it says these are the next few rollouts.

Solstice, Broken Wings debuted 9-13-2015

Solstice, Amade, debuts 9-30-2015

Eclipse, The Chandelier debuts 10-18-2015

I JUST realized that the rollout of these new shows will mean the end of the Cirque-style shows also. :(

Too bad - we really enjoyed those.

Glad we got to see them already so many times but still really sorry to see them go.

As far as the acapella groups - they've been gone for at least a year and a half (maybe more).

I'd like to see Celebrity bring back more string quartets. (Last year it was down to a duo)

I JUST realized that the rollout of these new shows will mean the end of the Cirque-style shows also. :(

Too bad - we really enjoyed those.

Glad we got to see them already so many times but still really sorry to see them go.

As far as the acapella groups - they've been gone for at least a year and a half (maybe more).

I'd like to see Celebrity bring back more string quartets. (Last year it was down to a duo)

It's the Cirque shows that I didn't care for after seeing 2-3 of them. I felt that they were dark and bordered on boring. They all seemed to look alike.

I did enjoy the acapella groups, but again after seeing them a few times, they too began to sound the same.

Love the string quartets! :)

October 18th will be right before my cruise starts. Hope that The Chandelier stays around another week.

There was one on my Summit cruise back in April and I know the group was on the Summit just last week.

Depends on what you´re talking about! There used to be a 4 piece à capella group and a 4 piece string quartett - both are gone for more than a year now as stated by others above. Those played randomly in the atrium. There still might be an à capella group performing in the theater as headline entertainment.

steamboats

Suzy - One last time. The production shows are the only thing being changed. The main theatre entertainers are contract employees as is the orchestra, and piano players and singers etc. in the various ship venues. We were on the Constellation when the new production shows were started in April. They installed the new sets in about 8 hours - simple to take down the old backdrops and hang new ones. This meant we started the first night with a singer from the UK instead of a production show. They added a late night rather edgy show that was well received by my - wife and I did not like it much - and we were told it might or might not continue. Obviously it has not been continued.

As to comments as to same shows and entertainers - The entertainers changed every 6 months or so before and this will continue along with the shows. All entertainers sign a contract for X number of months and can then renew or not. The themes have always changed about every 6 months or so on each ship. Impossible to know what production shows will be on any given ship on a specific date unless you know if they are at the end of a contract cycle when the shows change.

On the Celebrity Production 18 for 18 feed (emphasis added),

it says these are the next few rollouts.

Assuming you don't mean the press release, are you referencing a site or Twitter feed where they are discussing this in more detail? If so, would you mind sharing the link?

I'm interested to know the status of shows on the Silhouette, particularly just after the holidays. Thank you in advance!

Here is the Celebrity production main webpage.

http://celebritycruisesproductions.com/index.html

You can them click on the other pages to see parts of the shows or other experiences being planned on various Celebrity ships. There are several youtube clips out as well, by the name of the shows. I'm glad to see a refresh and adding additional programming.

Suzy - One last time. The production shows are the only thing being changed. The main theatre entertainers are contract employees as is the orchestra, and piano players and singers etc. in the various ship venues. We were on the Constellation when the new production shows were started in April. They installed the new sets in about 8 hours - simple to take down the old backdrops and hang new ones. This meant we started the first night with a singer from the UK instead of a production show.

Well, thank you for explaining it to me "one last time", but actually I made the point in my previous post that it is the production shows that are being changed.:confused:

I can't comment on your experience with the backdrops being renewed on Constellation in April, but can tell you that when I was on Eclipse a couple of days ago, they had started to dismantle the entire stage set and were planning to pack it up and ship it back to the US and then build a new one. As the OP has already mentioned, there will also be major changes to lighting and communication technology. They seem to anticipate this may take a little longer than 8 hours!!

Edited by Suzy Smith

Depends on what you´re talking about! There used to be a 4 piece à capella group and a 4 piece string quartett - both are gone for more than a year now as stated by others above. Those played randomly in the atrium. There still might be an à capella group performing in the theater as headline entertainment.

steamboats

Bring back Lemon Sqeezy ! They were the best a Capella group we've seen! Think the were Swedish.

Here is the Celebrity production main webpage.

http://celebritycruisesproductions.com/index.html

You can them click on the other pages to see parts of the shows or other experiences being planned on various Celebrity ships. There are several youtube clips out as well, by the name of the shows. I'm glad to see a refresh and adding additional programming.

Thanks!!

I can't comment on your experience with the backdrops being renewed on Constellation in April, but can tell you that when I was on Eclipse a couple of days ago, they had started to dismantle the entire stage set and were planning to pack it up and ship it back to the US and then build a new one. As the OP has already mentioned, there will also be major changes to lighting and communication technology. They seem to anticipate this may take a little longer than 8 hours!!

Being from background in the theatre and arts, and having produced and promoted many, many traveling full-production Broadway shows, if the stage crew can not make a complete change of a set over night taking one out and installing a new one, along with all new electronics, lighting, sound, etc., they aren't qualified to do the job.

Theaters often have a different production shows in each day. Trucks arrive at 8 am and load in, 3pm sound, light and stage checks, 4pm rehearsals if needed, 6 pm matinee, 9pm late show, 11pm tear down, on the road by 2 am for the next gig. Happens every day in thousands of cities across the world. And thee shows bring all their own lighting and such, relying on nothing form the house,. So I'm certain X has at least planned on using its own equipment again, saving time of the full removal and reinstallation of the entire grid.

I will be on Summit in 2 months.....I wonder if they will have any new

shows by November 14.

Appears you will have 'iMagic'

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-summit

Theaters often have a different production shows in each day. Trucks arrive at 8 am and load in, 3pm sound, light and stage checks, 4pm rehearsals if needed, 6 pm matinee, 9pm late show, 11pm tear down, on the road by 2 am for the next gig.

Eclipse is at sea, so a bit harder to off load as you have described!

Edited by upwarduk

Being from background in the theatre and arts, and having produced and promoted many, many traveling full-production Broadway shows, if the stage crew can not make a complete change of a set over night taking one out and installing a new one, along with all new electronics, lighting, sound, etc., they aren't qualified to do the job.

Theaters often have a different production shows in each day. Trucks arrive at 8 am and load in, 3pm sound, light and stage checks, 4pm rehearsals if needed, 6 pm matinee, 9pm late show, 11pm tear down, on the road by 2 am for the next gig. Happens every day in thousands of cities across the world. And thee shows bring all their own lighting and such, relying on nothing form the house,. So I'm certain X has at least planned on using its own equipment again, saving time of the full removal and reinstallation of the entire grid.

We were told by a cast member that this is a complete removal and re-build and not just a change of set and the Cruise Director explained to the OP that there will be some limitation of shows until the work is completed. I am sure the Celebrity team is one of the best in the business, with extensive experience of the type of everyday set changes you describe, and, if it was possible to make these major changes without any disruption to the shows, they would certainly do it.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Ships may be a bit different than a land based theater ;)! You can´t just drive up with a truck and unload stuff and carry it inside. For both, Oasis and Allure of the Seas, they needed to install the new settings during dry dock. The old settings included very large piece which were adjusted to the needs of the stage. Those had to be cut down. New settings had to be installed. You also need to "fix" the settings in a way that they are able to sustain rough seas (and don´t fly around). Also the backstage area is much smaller than on a land based theater. You don´t have any storage room for settings or so. Then you have to start the stage rehearsals. On the Oasis the new show (Cats) did not start until the end of the 12 night transatlantic cruise following the dry dock (and it was a soft opening with no orchestra but piano only). On the Allure it took them serveral weeks after dry dock to open Mamma Mia!.

Also for the headliner shows they do of course use the lighting and sound system they have onboard. The headline entertainers do not bring their own stuff.

steamboats

I think we saw the best group of Entertainers ever this summer.

A huge variety, no repeat performances, but I must wonder if the US passengers appreciated the British humour ( the ship was sailing with 80% British passengers)

The Highlight for me was a Beatles tribute act.