Diamond guests maximizing free wifi on Eastern caribbean sailing

snorkelman

I am sure that some of you have figured this out, so I welcome your tips.

My wife and I are each Diamond level, so I understand we have some free wifi time. I was trying to figure out how to best use it. I was assuming to have her use her device on one sea day and me use mine on a different sea day. We both have iPhones. That will cover 2 of the 7 cruise days. Then we will try and find free wifi in the ports. That should cover us for 5 of the 7 days.

My goal is to facetime our kids back home for free, rather than paying to call back home. My wife wants to talk to the kids nearly every day if possible.

We will be on the Oasis next week (eastern sailing) with ports in Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Martin.

Any feedback welcome.

FWIW, yes I am available that with ATT as a carrier we get free calls while in St. Thomas.

We've had so so luck with using McDonald's free WiFi in Nassau for Facetime. We've had better luck using Starbuck's WiFi in Nassau, but that will cost a few dollars. Always ask if the WiFi is up before you purchase anything.

We've had so so luck with using McDonald's free WiFi in Nassau for Facetime. We've had better luck using Starbuck's WiFi in Nassau, but that will cost a few dollars. Always ask if the WiFi is up before you purchase anything.

Great tips! Using the Ports of Call section of this website, for Nassau I heard that Senior Frogs had Wifi but it sucked. I also heard that Burger King on Frederick Street had a good strong signal.

I posted this thread since I am not really sure about 2 people who are both Diamond, maximizing while on the ship. I posted the "eastern part" in case people have feedback for those ports, as you did. Thanks again!

We have never found the ship's Wifi to have a good enough signal to support FaceTime.

It worked for us on Oasis last week. I believe only Oasis and Quantum classes currently have the quality of internet speed needed to support Facetime.

I have heard the best way is to sign up around 6 or 7 pm or whatever time suits you then that way your 24 hours free internet is spread between 2 days. So together it will be spread over 4 days. That's what we will be doing on our upcoming cruise in October.

Great tips about spreading the 24 hours over 2 days. That will work great. Kids out of school at 3pm. We can set up account around 4pm and facetime that day and also facetime next day right after they get out of school.

Is setting it up hard? For example, do I have to go down to guest services and wait in line or can I maybe just call or do it on the tv in the room?

Great tips about spreading the 24 hours over 2 days. That will work great. Kids out of school at 3pm. We can set up account around 4pm and facetime that day and also facetime next day right after they get out of school.

Is setting it up hard? For example, do I have to go down to guest services and wait in line or can I maybe just call or do it on the tv in the room?

You set up your WiFi account on your own device. Just connect to the Royal WiFi wireless service, open your browser to any website, and you will be directed to Royal's sign up page.

I'll just say I for one am not happy with the new 24 hour internet..we're both D+ and just off the Radiance...the 45 min x2 we used to get was easy for me to spread out over the course of our cruise.

I agree I found the free hour a better option.

I'll just say I for one am not happy with the new 24 hour internet..we're both D+ and just off the Radiance...the 45 min x2 we used to get was easy for me to spread out over the course of our cruise.

Don't you get 2 24 hour periods each? Start one period so that your next period occurs during usable hours. Like 10am to 10am the next day. That way you actually have 8 days of access. I am really surprised you don't like this as a D+. It gave us tons of time online.

Departure day and arrival day you should have celluar service. Fill in with a port stop if you really need to.

Edited by marci22

Don't you get 2 24 hour periods each? Start one period so that your next period occurs during usable hours. Like 10am to 10am the next day. That way you actually have 8 days of access. I am really surprised you don't like this as a D+. It gave us tons of time online.

Departure day and arrival day you should ha ve celluar service. Fill in with a port stop if you really need to.

St Thomas and San Juan can use cell service. Plus the charge to go full week as a D+ is around $40

On Verizon, only San Juan is included in your regular plan. Other carriers include St.Thomas, but Verizon does not.

So sad, T-Mobile doesn't include Guam. Girl at customer service said it wasn't a US territory. :eek::rolleyes:

Edited by John&LaLa

I have always been afraid of using free wifi in ports. Is there a way to protect your passwords and personal info while in port? Wish I was more of a computer geek, but I have no idea which classes to take at the local college to learn about hackers and viruses. :o

I have always been afraid of using free wifi in ports. Is there a way to protect your passwords and personal info while in port? Wish I was more of a computer geek, but I have no idea which classes to take at the local college to learn about hackers and viruses. :o

Doubt it's worse than anywhere else. I've used Starbucks in Curacao. Stick to well known companies if you are concerned

Departure day and arrival day you should have celluar service. Fill in with a port stop if you really need to.

Do Diamond members get 1 or 2 24 hour periods?