Laundry and Pizza

chrismch

In reading other threads it looks like a laundry bag is somewhere between $20-$30. How big is that bag? How many shirts or pants can that hold? We only expect to have clothes sent out twice for a 14 day trip since we have an additional vacation after the cruise.

Pizza... Are they now taking personal pan pizza orders on all the ships? Or is it only a few ships. Anyone tried the pizza lately? My past experiences with HAL pizza had me throwing it out since it was so bad. Tasted like frozen pizza - bland and boring. Would like to have a good neighborhood style pizza.

Tamarind.... How often is it open for lunch?

Heard that they're re-doing the Lido food - any positive changes there?

In reading other threads it looks like a laundry bag is somewhere between $20-$30. How big is that bag? How many shirts or pants can that hold? We only expect to have clothes sent out twice for a 14 day trip since we have an additional vacation after the cruise.

Pizza... Are they now taking personal pan pizza orders on all the ships? Or is it only a few ships. Anyone tried the pizza lately? My past experiences with HAL pizza had me throwing it out since it was so bad. Tasted like frozen pizza - bland and boring. Would like to have a good neighborhood style pizza.

The laundry bag on Westerdam was 21"(20" to the drawstring) by 13.5". Including some undies I was able to get 18-20 items rolled up and stuffed in the bag. The bag didn't quite meet at the top but nothing was hanging out. The cost was $20.

I enjoyed the pizza. Not the best I've ever had but nowhere close to the worst.

Edited by Scrapnana

Prices for the laundry bags differs by itinerary.

Europe is usually $30 per bag while the Caribbean is $20 for a bag.

These prices could change any time.

Haven't been on a ship since all the new food changes started this summer.

The Tamarind is usually open nearly every day for lunch. The times will be listed in the daily On Location programs.

A nice thing about the HAL laundry bags is that they're cloth, so you can stuff them quite full. Some other lines use paper bags which tear if you try to cram too much in. When you send things like shirts out, they'll come back ironed, which is nice.

... I enjoyed the pizza. Not the best I've ever had but nowhere close to the worst.

I agree with your pizza comments. If OP wants truly awful - at least IMO - pizza, I highly recommend the much-ballyhooed 5-cheese pizza on the Disney Wonder. It was without a doubt the worst pizza I (and my 2 granddaughters) have ever tasted.

Your laundry question was answered but I will suggest that for about double the cost of sending out two bags (and they are really not very big bags if you are sending out pants (jeans?) and shirts...) you can get the "Unlimited laundry package" for your cruise.

You mention you are extending your vacation. Wouldn't it be nice to leave the ship after 14 days with almost all clean clothes? No using valuable vacation time doing laundry.

We are a huge believer in the unlimited package and send out clothes every day (often TWO bags). We came home from Alaska last week with all clean jackets, coats, etc. The staff do such a great job with things too!

Edited by StartrainDD

Best pizza I had was on transatlantic cruise on Ryndam; worst-Veendam

But: things change with each cruise. I had lousy pizza in Venice also. Now I am Polish and most of the pizza I grew up on was from Sicilian cooks or south. Italy. Everybody. is different in style, sauce, crust and ovens. I Like wood burning pizza ovens. I sure do not go on a cruise for pizza though.

I haven't heard any rumor of changes to the pizza formula on HAL after all the food overhauls, so I suspect it's the same as it always was. In my opinion, pretty bad...sort of like a fat piece of bread slightly greasy and cooked on the bottom with canned flavorless sauce on top and a little cheese. Yes, I am picky about pizza - but I can accept OK pizza in a pinch. Princess and Costa definitely have better pizza - I've heard Carnival has decent pizza too but haven't been on one lately. HAL's isn't worth eating for me. Hitting Westerdam the first week of November so I'll be checking if the pizza looks any different with the lido changes...but I don't think so. At least they fixed the burgers and hot dogs - and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Lido layout and selection works.

A nice thing about the HAL laundry bags is that they're cloth, so you can stuff them quite full. Some other lines use paper bags which tear if you try to cram too much in. When you send things like shirts out, they'll come back ironed, which is nice.

With the paper bags, I reinforce them with duct tape and tape the top closed in lieu of rolling it up. You can get a lot more in it that way. I always pack some "travel size duct tape" (i.e. small roll flattened out) that I get at the local dollar store.

You can also just buy small rolls;

J01-0771601-8200bg.jpg

Your laundry question was answered but I will suggest that for about double the cost of sending out two bags (and they are really not very big bags if you are sending out pants (jeans?) and shirts...) you can get the "Unlimited laundry package" for your cruise.

You mention you are extending your vacation. Wouldn't it be nice to leave the ship after 14 days with almost all clean clothes? No using valuable vacation time doing laundry.

We are a huge believer in the unlimited package and send out clothes every day (often TWO bags). We came home from Alaska last week with all clean jackets, coats, etc. The staff do such a great job with things too!

I totally agree, we have done the " blue bag stuff" and then went to the laundry pkg. love, love, loved it. Turnaround was fast, many time sent clothes out before dinner and when we returned from b'fast the next morning the clothes were back. You can request hangers or folded.

If you've been out all night, and you want a slice, HAL's pizza is fine. (You've been drinking. It's late. You can't be picky.) On the other hand, if you want GOOD pizza, you're probably not boarding a ship to get it. If you are on a Caribbean sailing out of Port Everglades, try the original Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on Federal Hwy (US Route 1 South.)

We were on the Zaandam this summer and no pizza. DH was very disappointed. We are going on a 45 day cruise on the Amsterdam in Oct. and he is not happy, as they don't have pizza either. He loves to get a slice for a late night snack or in the afternoon. I told him to eat up before we leave to get his fill. We don't eat a lot of pizza at home, but he loves to eat it on ship for some reason.