Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Since word is now out about ongoing refurbishment of cabins on Deck 4, 5 and 6 and possibly Insides all over the ship , Cunard may offer some better rates sooner rather than latter (meaning after final) ?

I suspect just the opposite. It is fairly well established in economics that when the supply of something goes down, its price goes up. Taking cabins out of service for refurbishment will mean that current demand will face a smaller supply. I don't see prices actually going up, but I think that we can expect to see fewer sales, particularly for the fall and winter crossings such as the one which I will board next week. My BY on deck 5 is now going for $799; I don't think we'll see those kinds of prices during the ongoing refit.

Edited by rsquare

Did anyone get the email about the new design for Britannia cabins? It's a little confusing, as the email subject is Britannia cabins, but the design is labeled Britannia Club. I looked at the website and it appears that Britannia and Club cabins will still look the same. It also appears that the art will be vintage photos, which I think would be cool. I think I recognize the photo shown in the image for the Obstructed balcony cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
It is very beige ... Not a fan of these pale colour schemes ... Oh well.

It's only an artists impression, it'll look better in real life. ;)

The main worry is, So now where are all these folks who don't want to conform to the evening dress code, going to hang out ?

Edited by Bell Boy

Carinthia Lounge picture here:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/carinthia-lounge/

During the day, the Carinthia Lounge will serve light breakfast and lunch dishes, speciality teas and coffees, delicacies from the new patisserie counter and a special champagne afternoon tea.

...The spacious venue will also feature a wine wall, vertical metal Art Deco-inspired screens, and a dark walnut timber dance floor.

Edited by Ray66

During the day, the Carinthia Lounge will serve light breakfast and lunch dishes, speciality teas and coffees, delicacies from the new patisserie counter and a special champagne afternoon tea.

...The spacious venue will also feature a wine wall, vertical metal Art Deco-inspired screens, and a dark walnut timber dance floor.

Looks sharp!

I wonder if Sir Samuels will continue to offer light food or will be redone.

I like it. (and it's certainly a big improvement over the Winter Garden)

Bathrooms seem nice on the refurb, no more shower curtain. I hope that will also be the case in the regular Britannia rooms and not just the club and single rooms.

I am disappointed that most Britannia rooms won't get a refurb until 2017. The inside cabin we had last week was getting rather tired, with the lacquer on the bedside table starting to peel and the television system is already years outdated. We're hoping to do another B2B transatlantic next October so I'll be keeping an eye on the refurb and hopefully we'll be able to get one of the new rooms. If not, I hope there will be a significant enough price difference between refurb and non-refurb rooms.

and

When the sun sets, the atmosphere will evolve into an inviting evening spot with premium wines, small platters and relaxed entertainment.

I think this would be a great thing - esp late at night - we found it difficult to find a spot to have a nightcap after the late show - it would be nice to spread the crowd a little.

I was just thinking myself whether this means changes in Sir Samuels.

Hopefully they're different enough to have both - I like Sir Samuels, despite the fact that the coffee machine was out of order for 6 days of our crossing :-(

The color pallet is lighter than what our focus group was shown - we saw a lot of dark teals and dark blues. Carinthia was one of the eight or so proposed names. I like that the name echos a former Cunard ship. Not everybody will be happy since some liked to use the Winter Garden as quiet reading space on bad weather days.

It's really a vast improvement for this space which has been dead most of the day or it's just a walk-through to get to the buffet.

We still await the Kings Court refit. This is an important area since embarkation day lunch is typically a new passenger's first QM2 dining experience.

Hello

Good question as to what will happen to Sir Samuels if anything once the new Carinthia Lounge is opened. For me, I always enjoy that space for coffee especially next to one of the windows that look out to the sea. I suspect, however, that area may be turned into the new photo counter/display etc that is apparently being displaced by new single cabins.

Any opinions on this?

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Hello

Good question as to what will happen to Sir Samuels if anything once the new Carinthia Lounge is opened. For me, I always enjoy that space for coffee especially next to one of the windows that look out to the sea. I suspect, however, that area may be turned into the new photo counter/display etc that is apparently being displaced by new single cabins.

Any opinions on this?

Deck Chair

Is it too small to be "The Verandah" or Todd English? What if they took some space from the shop next to it?