It's been a while since I've seen tips or fav's for the PG

hugger

It's been a long time since I've seen an updated thread about what people LOVE about the Pinnacle Grill.

Any tips or suggestions you might have about not to be missed offerings currently being offered in the PG?

Looking forward to hearing what Ccer's are enjoying

I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I really haven't found anything in the Pinnacle Grill worth the charge. I've been a few times, but on my last couple of cruises I didn't go at all. I found the service good, but not significantly better than in the Main Dining Room.

I'm not a big fan of steaks, and I didn't find anything else on the menu that jumped out at me as being something I had to have.

I don't like the fact that the menu doesn't change over the course of the cruise (except for the Le Cirque nights), and I can't see paying the charge more than once for a menu that doesn't excite me in the first place.

I'd be just as happy if they got rid of the Pinnacle Grill. But I know this is a very unpopular opinion. On the good note, there is at least one group (because my parents & husband feel the same way) that won't be competing for the limited number of reservations.

Newest Menu:

The Pinnacle Dinner is $29 per person. You can book the dinner either online, through Ship’s Services at 1-800-541-1576 or once you are on the ship.

Starters:

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSSETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden ric

e cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE

We have eaten dinner at PG dozens of times and have never had anything but good (actually far better than "good") meals. Having tried virtually everything on the PG menu at least once, we have no absolute favorites. We are not vegetarians but were favorably impressed with the vegetarian dishes. In a nutshell, we think PG is a very good value and certainly deserves a try.

We much prefer lunch in the PG to dinner. We're not big eaters so lunch is a great treat. I love the bleu cheese crusted steak. It's to die for. DH loves the burger.

Karen

I second the lunch bleu cheese crusted steak recommendation!

We much prefer lunch in the PG to dinner. We're not big eaters so lunch is a great treat. I love the bleu cheese crusted steak. It's to die for. DH loves the burger.

Karen

Ditto. The lunch menu is perfect for us, and lingering over lunch with a glass of wine is part of a perfect vacation for me.:D And then I don't eat much at dinner, so win-win.

We are happy with the Pinnacle Grill. In fact on our last few cruises we had dinner there every night.

And on the ships that have the Tamarind, we alternated between the Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill.

We do the exact same thing. On our last cruise, we got to know the Pinnacle chef and he made us something special for our last night of the cruise. We can find lots of different things to eat, not just steak.

My late husband and I dined in the PG almost every night on our many 30 day cruises. We loved it.

I booked 23 out of 47 nights there on my first solo cruise. I am not crazy about steak but I love the other selections.

The onion soup at lunch and the blue cheese encrusted steak are very good. One of the few steaks I liked.

We like the Pinnacle and go at least once, or several times if it is a longer cruise. We enjoy the special setting, the quiet and the level of service attention.

However saying that, I hate the waste of the overly large-sized beef portion choices at the Pinnacle, considering dietary recommendations are no more than a 4 ounce serving for protein - size of a pack of cards.

The only smaller beef portion size offered is the still too large beef filet which is not particularly flavorful. I do miss their lamb kabobs since they offered both a sane portion of well-seasoned meat along with grilled vegetables - they were a very satisfying choice.

I do also like their "asian" tomato chicken soup, though the menu description fails to deliver what a flavorful choice this is.

Second the recommendation for lunch- a very nice menu choices. Loved their antipasto and the orange panna cotto, along with the hamburger. Additionally, the Neptune suites lunch buffet at the Pinnacle recently has been outstanding and we do love breakfast there when it is offered in the actual Pinnacle dining room included in the Neptune cabin guest package.

We like the Pinnacle and go at least once, or several times if it is a longer cruise. We enjoy the special setting, the quiet and the level of service attention.

Second the recommendation for lunch- a very nice menu choices. Loved their antipasto and the orange panna cotto, along with the hamburger. Additionally, the Neptune suites lunch buffet at the Pinnacle recently has been outstanding and we do love breakfast there when it is offered in the actual Pinnacle dining room included in the Neptune cabin guest package.

I have never heard of a Neptune suite lunch. Is this something new? Details please.

Edited by DaveOKC

I have never heard of a Neptune suite lunch. Is this something new? Details please.

This is one of the special invitation events that comes with the Neptune package. It has been a sit-down lunch in the Pinnacle in the past but the last two times on our cruises it has been a buffet in the Pinnacle on the Zaadam and the Volendam ships. One of those multiple envelopes that get sent to each Neptune suite cabin.

Edited by OlsSalt

There was a suite luncheon in the PG on our last cruise, during the last few days. Perhaps only longer cruises? It was the most amazing buffet - Kazu had a ton of photos of it on her review thread of the Sailaway Gang's cruise.

We like to eat in the Pinnacle maybe once a week, or more! Lunch is fabulous, but we enjoy the dinner too. The filet mignon is always a favourite, but I've enjoyed the planked halibut and the cioppino. (The cioppino has a couple of crab legs.) The caviare is wonderful! And on our Panama Canal cruise someone in our party (actually, Kazu's DH) had the chicken and said it was very good. So, it's well worth trying everything!

The specialty dinners are fantastic, but so rich and filling!

It's making my mouth water just thinking about it!:D

There was a suite luncheon in the PG on our last cruise, during the last few days. Perhaps only longer cruises? It was the most amazing buffet - Kazu had a ton of photos of it on her review thread of the Sailaway Gang's cruise.

I had it on my Panama cruise too but not the 7 day Alaska. I think it may only be on longer cruises.

I think the cruise has to be more than 10 days for it to happen.

We've had a Suite Luncheon in the PG on the ships we have been on. We had a bonus on the Prinsendam with two since it was a Collectors' cruise.

On the Maasdam and P'dam, it was a menu and you chose. On the Westerdam, it was a gorgeous, huge buffet. Free wine of course with the meal.

The only time I have NOT seen them was on one 7 day cruise (not expected) and the N Amsterdam where they announced it was being postponed, but never announced a new one - I suspect it was due to the short staff from Noro.

I had it on my Panama cruise too but not the 7 day Alaska. I think it may only be on longer cruises.

There used to be one on weekly cruises. Then, a few years ago, it was only on cruises 10 days or longer. Recently, it's only been on even longer cruises. However, you won't get one even on a 14 day Collector's Cruise. I think it's all part of the plan to make Neptune Suites less attractive.

Krazy Kruiser - THANK YOU for the PG Menu - always makes my mouth water :)

And, Sysemar for the links to the other threads regarding PG.

We Love the PG! However, normally limit ourselves to once every 7 days. As we often get a couple of extra sides to try and share with the table. This cruise it will be just my DH and I - meaning that we most likely won't be getting the extra's as no one to share them with.

I noticed that several of you shared that you enjoy the Blue crusted Steak - that is one reason for us to try the PG Lunch which we have yet to do. It is such an awesome deal and then with our Mariner's discount YES. My DH would love the Hamburger - he's not into blue cheese.

OleSalt - I was happy to read that you enjoyed the Panna Cotta as well as the antipasta offering's as they were two other choices that sparked my interest. Is the Asian Chicken soup rather spicy? It sounds good, however, my stomach can handle only so much and this has always sounded kind of spicy to me?

Has anone tried the Lobster Bisque?

WILD Mushroom Ravioli and the Roasted Pumpkin Risotto sound so DELICIOUS - yet I'm not sure I can give up a steak to try them. Has anyone tried either of these dishes?

I am not a huge Beef eater - but, I must say I have truly enjoyed the Filet and bone in Rib eye steak in the PG.

My brother in law (who isn't a large man) can put away that Porterhouse I so enjoyed watching him savor that on our last visit to the PG.

Would love to try the Caviar sometime - will have to wait until they we have a ton of OBC to justify it though ;)

KaKalina - it sounds like you and husband enjoyed your travels together. What a wonderful tribute to him that you continue to enjoy cruising and travel.

We have done the Tamarind for lunch. I loved it - unfortunately my DH had a reaction to something - he's never had a problem with food allergies before. We were rather shocked that he had any difficulties - his voice was affected for 2/3 days afterwards. They were so gracious in the restaurant - asking prior if we had allergies to food. And, then when DH had a reaction did everything they could to make him comfortable. Bringing him other dishes that they felt wouldn't bother him. So sweet

I know I won't get him back to try dinner there now - I can appreciate why - he was really quite uncomfortable.

It is a GORGEOUS restaurant though -

Again, I want to THANK YOU all for sharing your thought's and experiences in the PG.

Edited by hugger

Hugger: I don't think there is anything we haven't tried in the PG at one time or another with the exception of the new pay extra for dishes. I love the Wild Mushroom Ravioli ( I ask for a half portion ) the risotto seems to depend on the chef as does the Chocolate Volcano Cake. I am a huge fan of the Lobster Bisque. You do have to ask now if you want the alcohol swirled in.

At lunch I am a huge fan of the Pacific Rim Salad with steak strips and mesclan and a wonderful oriental dressing. Yum. And I can eat the whole thing - or almost.

Edited by kakalina