Get your flu shot!

Mommypig

For those wondering why people should get it, the answer is the same as getting an MMR, DTP, or polio vaccines: herd immunity. The more people that get it, the better the chances that fewer people will get ill. Not everyone can get the shots, so they rely on those around them (general public) to do so.

Last year, I got the flu shot, as I have for at least 10 years now. I've previously gotten the pneumonia shot, too. Unfortunately, in March, I got railroaded by whatever I had. Started getting sick on one day. By Day 3, the generic cough syrup wasn't working, so I saw an RN and was given the generic with codeine. Lungs sounded good. By Day 5, I was coughing at times where I couldn't catch my breath properly. Went back in, saw a different RN. Was told my lungs sounded horrible. Turned out to be borderline pneumonia. Antibiotics were given and I eventually recovered. I was out of the office for 2 weeks.

The point: I can't imagine how more ill I could have gotten if I hadn't gotten the flu and pneumonia shots.

And, at my last physical, I got the Prevnar 13 shot. Dr. said it was a good idea since I have asthma (cough variant).

I am leaving next Friday and got my flu shot last month. If you have medicare the shot is free. If not you can get them at Costco for under $20. I do not believe you have to be a member for the pharmacy. All the major drug stores are also giving them.

I am trying to prepare. I have been taking Airborne for a week and will take them throughout the cruise.

Thank you for reminding me of that. My cruise is very soon, but it is a CA coastal so I should be ok as far as the flu strain.

I have medical issues, so I do have to get the shot. I have not had any reaction to one, so I'm good.

Guess I will stop off at Walgreens after taking the granddaughter to preschool. :D

Patti

We too are planning on getting the flu vaccine from our HMO (probably the same HMO as the folks from San Diego) sometime the week of September 28th. I had read an article this year from the CDC that getting flu shots actually cause the body's resistance to build up over time. We've always had good luck with the vaccines and knock on wood this will continue.

I disagree - you might not get the full flu but I wasn't feeling well for around a week afterwards with a high temperature. It is a known possible side effect.

Please post this known possible side effect facts origin.

Key word "SIDE EFFECTS" not sickness.

Many vaccinations can cause "side effects". ;)

So I post that I felt unwell after the jab with a high temp, and say its a known side effect. You then ask for evidence that fever is one of many known side effects. I then provide numerous Govt sources outlining those recognised side effects, to which you reply about 'SIDE EFFECTS' and not sickness. You really think there is a difference? A side effect can cause death! in Australia a child did die from a flu vaccination a couple of years ago and 10 other deaths in one year associated with the immunisation and high fever and others seriously ill but I guess you would argue they weren't unwell - they just had a side effect. As a result the flu jab was withdrawn for children under 5

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/flu-shot-fatality-toddler-dies-12-hours-after-having-vaccination/story-e6frfkvr-1225857872979

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/kids-get-banned-fluvax-vaccine/story-fnhocxo3-122662514917

I am not advocating not having the jab at all but it would be appropriate to acknowledge that there are possible side effects that might cause people a problem, rather than dispute these side effects occur in the face of evidence to the contrary.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Edited by Pushka

I disagree - you might not get the full flu but I wasn't feeling well for around a week afterwards with a high temperature. It is a known possible side effect.

Or you could have been exposed to the flu before or even after your vaccine. It takes a few weeks for it to work. However everybody reacts to different things in different ways. Just had my flu shot on Saturday and feel perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Star for the August 29th sailing from Whittier. There were a lot of people coughing and sneezing, most of whom chose not to cancel excursions. As a result we rode busses with over half of the people coughing and by Thursday night I was sick. Mine ended up being a flu virus, diagnosed after we got back, and I'm still not completely over it. It stinks to get sick on vacation, but it is so much better if people would stay in their cabins to avoid infecting others. Hope you and your husband get better soon.

Just off the Royal this am. We also experienced many many people with colds.

It would be nice if those infected would cancel their excursions but not many are going to cancel "once in a lifetime" excursions; however it did amaze me to see many people with very bad colds just roaming around the Piazza and shops coughing and sneezing with absolutely no regard for anyone else.

Or you could have been exposed to the flu before or even after your vaccine. It takes a few weeks for it to work. However everybody reacts to different things in different ways. Just had my flu shot on Saturday and feel perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thankfully I didnt get the flu. I was just unwell with a high temperature for a few days. I've never had the flu - and this was the first year I have had the flu shot. I will have it next year also but will make sure I don't have to work the next few days. My partner had it too and was perfectly fine - he had the flu a few years ago and was very ill.

Edited by Pushka

Not wanting to alarm folk here but another bug that can (and does) affect adults is Pertussis (whooping cough.) Fortunately it, too, can be vaccinated against. I had it a few years back and it was one of the most difficult bugs to get rid of. I don't feel my lungs have ever recovered fully from it. Your childhood vaccine will not protect you now.

It drives me crazy when people--obviously sick or not--do not properly cover their cough or sneeze. Whether one chooses to get the flu shot or not, no one should be coughing or sneezing into bare hands or into the open air. I believe that if we each do our part to take small precautions like coughing/sneezing into your elbow, sleeve, tissue, etc., then we can contribute to our overall good health.

P.S. I wipe down the entire cabin as soon as we arrive and love the handwashing stations in the buffet.:D

Not wanting to alarm folk here but another bug that can (and does) affect adults is Pertussis (whooping cough.) Fortunately it, too, can be vaccinated against. I had it a few years back and it was one of the most difficult bugs to get rid of. I don't feel my lungs have ever recovered fully from it. Your childhood vaccine will not protect you now.

The pertussis vaccine should also be repeated if you are going to be around a new baby. Whooping cough can be fatal to babies too young to be immunized. I help out when the new grandbabies are born so I keep on top of that one.

My husband and I always visit the travel clinic, sponsored by our health department. They look up where you are going and what shots you need and if you are sensitive or allergic to some shots there are alternatives.. Keep in mind though, lots of folks get the flu shot and it does not work. You can still get the flu. A lot of people I know don't care about any shots because it is expensive. I think this is crazy. The travel clinic usually has flu shots as well.

I am leaving next Friday and got my flu shot last month. If you have medicare the shot is free. If not you can get them at Costco for under $20. I do not believe you have to be a member for the pharmacy. All the major drug stores are also giving them.

I am trying to prepare. I have been taking Airborne for a week and will take them throughout the cruise.

As far as I know Costco only stock the standard flu vaccine whereas CVS, Walgreen, Sam's Club, Walmart, ... have both the standard and high dose vaccines. High dose is especially designed for seniors (65 and over). If you are a senior and you are planning to get the flu shot anyway, suggest you get the high dose instead of the standard one. Price is identical.

Kaiser in California started giving them on Saturday the 26th of September . I got mine yesterday. It takes about two weeks to become effective plenty of time for our cruise on October 24 out of SF for Hawaii.

Kaiser was giving out two strengths of flu shots. A higher dosage for folks over 65 and the normal dosage for folks 64 and under. First time I can remember two different dosages based on age.

Its a dead virus........

Its a myth and a coincidence that one gets sick after a shot.

Some people, including myself, have had allergic reactions to ingredients/adjuvants in the vaccines other than the virus itself. IIRC, those allergic to eggs are especially at risk.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Yes. Had Princess insurance, was reimbursed. Insurance, don't leave home without it.

Amen to that. Insurance is checked for all upcoming voyages and the flu shot done last week well in advance of the November voyage. Here's to washing hands often to ward off occurrences of the dreaded Noro.

Its a dead virus........

Its a myth and a coincidence that one gets sick after a shot.

My doctor advised against the flu shot before our cruise because of the anticipated muscle pain with this year's shot. The shot had only been released that week to her office. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, we both got horribly sick on the Pacific Princess with some virus. I'm hyper vigilant, DH, is not. Can't banish him in a small cabin like I can at home or use alternate facilities, with the expected result. So many folks sick on Air Tahiti Nui on the return flight.

My doctor advised against the flu shot before our cruise because of the anticipated muscle pain with this year's shot. The shot had only been released that week to her office. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, we both got horribly sick on the Pacific Princess with some virus. I'm hyper vigilant, DH, is not. Can't banish him in a small cabin like I can at home or use alternate facilities, with the expected result. So many folks sick on Air Tahiti Nui on the return flight.

That's the craziest thing I have ever heard of........the Flu will make your muscles hurt more than any shot discomfort. Plus, I work in an ER in Arizona and we have had 2 cases of confirmed Flu already this season. IT'S HERE!

Kaiser in California started giving them on Saturday the 26th of September . I got mine yesterday. It takes about two weeks to become effective plenty of time for our cruise on October 24 out of SF for Hawaii.

Kaiser was giving out two strengths of flu shots. A higher dosage for folks over 65 and the normal dosage for folks 64 and under. First time I can remember two different dosages based on age.

We got our flu shots at Kaiser on Monday. This is the first time we were offered a higher dosage for those over 65. We did choose that one. Both of us had significant bruising at the injection site. Different nurses. So who knows why. :eek:

We will also be on the 10/24 cruise although we are doing the California Coastal first!!

Cheers, Denise