Trip Insurance????

First timer36

If you buy it and do not use it, you are a winner as you did not have a problem. If you buy it and do use it, you are a winner because you did have a problem.

If you do not buy it and you do not need to use it, you are winner because you did not waste money on something you did not use. If you do not buy it and you did need to use it, you are a very big loser and will potentially end up spending lots and lots of money.

Based on this logic you figure it out if you should buy insurance. I buy it as discussed below.

You also need to figure out what type and how much insurance coverage you need to have. Personally, I only buy insurance to cover the really big potential costs and I self insure for the small stuff. This means that I buy medical and evacuation only. I do not buy the umbrella type policies that cover everything under the sun. I even do not buy trip cancellation insurance as I can afford those losses. I do not want the losses but I can afford them. The only 2 things that would cost me a lot of money on a trip is being sick and having to be evacuated to a hospital or to home.

One final thing. On a long trip to Australia, I fell and injured myself and my wife was in hospital for 3 days. For us, the insurance paid off.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We always get trip insurance as well as medical insurance. Medicare and Security Blue are only good in the US.

One time I fell the night before we were to fly out -- broke my wrist in 2 places -- had to cancel cruise.

Another time we had a bad snow storm that closed many airports for the better part of 4 days. We were to fly out 3 days early -- didn't happen.

We always buy refundable air fare.

And then there was the time the hospital lost my DH's mothers body so that cruise was cancelled.

Another snow storm badly damaged our house (as well as many other homes and businesses) -- there went that cruise.

And I could list others.

Not sure if we should get trip insurance or not. Has anyone bought trip insurance and ever used it? is it worth getting?

Yes, yes and also separately for the air portion, yes.

We've recovered a bunch for two doctor ordered cancellations in the last 3 years. Very happy with the outcomes (and the cost of the policies.)

Not sure if we should get trip insurance or not. Has anyone bought trip insurance and ever used it? is it worth getting?

What are your needs?

What is your financial risk capabilities?

We cannot answer your questions based on what you may or may not consider "Worth".

If something happens and you can't go? can you afford to take the financial loss?

What happens if you find yourself stranded in a foreign port? can you afford to get back home.

Major Item What happens if you have a medical situation in a foreign country? can you afford to to take that financial hit?

As a side note: ALL travel insurance is a "reimbursement" based plan anyway. In other words, you get stranded in a foreign port or you need medical attention,,,, you pay up front out of your own pocket,,,, then when you return, you file a claim, and then it gets reimbursed if its a covered event.

Have I used travel insurance?

twice

Once for a lost/stolen/misplaced wedding band. Received max payout allowable.

second time - Got stranded in Jamaica on a land vacation when a hurricane passed through S. Florida, extending my stay and causing flight disruptions. Received all my unplanned expenses back.

You haven't specified where you are travelling to and I'm not sure on how US based holiday insurance works but most Brits take out insurance when we book to cover cancellation, curtailment and medical expenses whilst abroad.

As for most insurance being as a previous poster put being a 'reimbursement' scenario, that is not always the case in our family's experience.

We have had cases of an older family member having had a heart attack on board an aircraft and a death abroad also. On both occasions the insurance companies took over on production of the insurance documents.

In the case of the heart attack, the plane was diverted to the nearest airport whilst overflying Greece, two weeks hospital stay for the patient and hotel for the partner, medical repatriation by private air ambulance back to the UK.

In the case of the death abroad, ambulance, coroner, medical reports, repatriation of the father in laws body to the UK from Spain. Huge costs.

They flew my wife out to accompany the mother in law home as she's partially sighted and even paid for the old man's casket. And they covered the missed part of the extended holiday they were on too.

Try sticking those two eventualities on your credit card....

Different scenario, you take a trip ashore with a non sanctioned trip company, have an accident and the ship sails without you.....who pays to catch the ship up?

To travel abroad without insurance to save a few dollars seems silly...

I am an advocate for insurance. I have used it twice. Once my Mom died while we were at sea, so we had to end our trip and book a last minute ticket home from Grand Cayman. Recently I just had to cancel a trip because my elderly father that lives with us fell and broke his wrist. He was unable to do things for himself, so we needed to stick around. Luckily I had purchased "cancel for any reason" for this last trip, so I was able to recover our expenses.

I will never understand the logic of not purchasing insurance. Sure, folks can self insure, but why would anyone do that? The price of the trip is worth enough to me to spend a fraction more of the cost to purchase insurance. If I had to "eat" the cost of the trip I could, but I would rather be able to recoup my costs. For us the cost of insurance is small, so the argument that you could take more trips if you didn't spend the insurance money doesn't hold weight with me.

No insurance is "pennywise and pound foolish." Get a travel focused credit card (e.g., United Airlines Visa Explorer), which has some travel coverage for items purchased on that card, and a combo travel/medical policy (e.g., Travelex Select Traveler), which is a "primary payer." (Cost is about 10% of your cruise cost)

Note that Medicare does not provide coverage abroad and any regular health insurance may have limited or no medevac coverage (which can set you back >$100K).

Finally, buy the insurance from the insurance company itself or via a broker rather than from the cruise line or the TA (unless the TA is arranging forced the regular policy as opposed to selling their proprietary version of it).

If you are only thinking of the cost of a cancelled trip then maybe it would not be worth it. But most trip insurance plans also include medical coverage, including evacuation to US hospital. That is why we always purchase trip insurance.

Insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare policies. Also look at TravelGuard.com

We pay for insurance through a third party, not cruise line, as soon as we book so that pre-existing conditions of us and of non-traveling immediate family are covered.

When we book our airfare we call the insurance company and have that added.

My mother fell on a Med cruise. Broke one leg, several ribs and shoulder. She spent a month in a Rome hospital. Insurance flew a nurse to bring her home. Put her in First class for the trip home since she could not get into a coach seat.

Did not cost my mother a cent.

As with any kind of insurance it all depends on your tolerance for risk and your ability to pay out of pocket if the "if" happens. Besides the medical and evacuation insurance mentioned, there is also trip delay and trip cancellation insurance. What if the "if" involved a closure of airports and you were unable to get to the embarkation port? Of if you or a family member fell ill or had an accident shortly before you were to sail?

Insurance however has to be bought with a certain time frame of booking. It cannot be purchased retroactively. If you become ill, or there is a named storm heading your way, it's too late. Nobody will sell it to you if the "if" is already in motion.

Once final payment is made, typically 90 days before sailing, a cancellation schedule kicks in. The later you cancel the higher the penalty. A very late cancellation or no show will be 100% of the fare. We have a recent post in "Ask a Cruse Question" where somebody is out a 594 GBP cancellation penalty. They didn't buy insurance and a member of their party has a mother with cancer whose condition has deteriorated.

Edited by BlueRiband

We did not get it "back when we were younger"; but now we're not so young as we once were and now we do.

Have had to use it twice on cruises...once when I got sick in Panama...once in Venice a carryon was stolen.

Might have had to use it another time in 2009 to come home early from China but my family held up the funeral arrangements until our return.

All kinds of different things can and do happen.

Steve

We just cancelled out travel insurance today. I think it's wise to have if you want to have it but if you are younger and foolish and living by the seat of your pants... why not go all in. We have had it before and not used it ever.. not saying there can't be a first time.... just really up to the person(s) Yes my mom still calls me a kid and I'm in my later 30's - but that's a mom for you.

We used it twice:

Once 4 days before a 32 day cruise my wife fell and broke her foot. Insurance reimbursed us

The second time wen my wife had a serious lung infection, was treated on board, then hospitalized. Insurance covered all that Medicare did not, including our flight home.

I always purchase for husband and I. Use Travel Guard. They have different levels of plans. There would be much more regret if we did not purchase and needed it than the reverse.

My folks were on a cruise when my mother's only brother suddenly died. I had to make the phone call to the ship. Yep. They had to take an early flight out.

I've noticed that Insuremytrip.com sells medical & evacuation coverage for much less money than comprehensive trip insurance. Preexisting conditions are covered on most medical & evacuation plans without any requirements related to timing of purchase.

Single trip coverage is $100 or less for two and annual coverage is $400 or less.

Edited by Underwatr

If you are only thinking of the cost of a cancelled trip then maybe it would not be worth it. But most trip insurance plans also include medical coverage, including evacuation to US hospital. That is why we always purchase trip insurance.

Actually, many policies cover evacuation to the nearest "appropriate" medical facility and not back home. Also, some policies that do cover transportation back to the states require that the nearest "appropriate" facility release you before they pay. Make sure to read what your policy actually says.

If you want guaranteed evacuation to the states, you need to take out a MedJet policy.

DON

I've noticed that Insuremytrip.com sells medical & evacuation coverage for much less money than comprehensive trip insurance. Preexisting conditions are covered on most medical & evacuation plans without any requirements related to timing of purchase.

Single trip coverage is $100 or less for two and annual coverage is $400 or less.

Read the fine print. Those policies may have maximum payouts that are quite limited and many are "secondary payers" requiring primary coverage by your regular insurance (health or otherwise) and significant deductibles.

Agree with Keith. I see a lot of folks post that they're "young and healthy". I saw a "young and healthy" 28-yr. old man lifted off a ship due to a compound fracture he suffered while parasailing.

Roz

I've never travelled without it. My regular annual medical insurance has an add on travel insurance options which not only covers medical repatriation but also covers missed flights & cruises due brakedowns & strike action (as long it wasn't forseen at time of booking ).

my sister once tripped walking up some stone steps and needed some stiches, the insurer was able to tell us where an English speaking doctor was located. More seriously a couple of years ago I arrived in Southampton for a cruise. The morning before cruise I fell down in street and had a seizure, I was rushed to hospital where I had various tests and CT Scan, all covered by my insurance I didn't have to pay anything. I was even released to travel on my cruise. I had never had a seizure before & haven't had one since &got a clean bill of health. But you never know what will happen out of the blue, I was in my thirties and I know I will never travel anywhere with out insurance.

I've done two cruises, one without insurance and one with. The first was without to Alaska. We canceled the insurance mainly because we were staying in the U.S., had medical insurance that would cover us if needed medically (obviously not in the case of being life flighted), and if something was to go wrong prior to getting on the cruise, such as lost luggage, I had the ability to get clothes to remedy the situation.

Now the second cruise, with insurance, was just completed last week. Guess who is in the process of completing insurance paperwork due to delay of luggage for my husband (he didn't receive it until day 7 of our 9 day cruise) and I had no luggage AT ALL! Yes, I made it 12 days total without any luggage and the airline still hasn't found it. Replacing the items we needed while in Europe or on the cruise is expensive and can be downright difficult or impossible. I knew this going in and decided not to chance it and am so glad we kept the insurance now. I may wear a smaller pant size according to American standards, but it was downright difficult to find pants that fit in many European countries and if I needed shoes I was SOL as apparently people in European countries have small feet!

Will I cruise without insurance again? Likely if, and only if the cruise is to one of two places - Alaska and Hawaii. I can find clothes and necessities at a Wal-Mart or similar and I know for a fact that cruises to those locations for us will have extra time built in to the front end to visit family, check out the islands, etc. Anywhere else, not a chance!! After my adventure in Europe with literally the clothes on my back and coming home with my luggage still nowhere to be found, I will make sure I have insurance so that I can at least replace what has been lost!