Poll: New Room Service Fee

cruise kitty

what do you think of the new room service fee?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of the new room service fee?

• Modern Luxury at it's finest
    • Cheap & Tacky
    • Don't like it, but see that it's necessary
    • Think it's great, it'll cut down on waste
    • Something else I'll post below

I say it is tacky. Much better marketing to say "included 24 hr room service"

I have used room service at 5 am to have a nice breakfast before a tour that started at 7 am. We had a good breakfast then dressed and left the cabin at 6:30 to meet the tour. There are not many good options that early, sugar loaded continental items don't work for us. Jmho.

If the choice is to increase the cruise fare to cover the cost of late night room service or charge for the service then I suspect 95+% of the passenger would chose the later.

It seems reasonable to me for Celebrity to focus their expenses on the items that mean the most to customers even at a cost to the expense items that are only enjoyed by a small number of customers. I am not sure it is even different than include "free" drinks. Or 24 hour free entertainment.

Well said!

Flip room service to the opposite position.

If no one uses it, then why would Celebrity waste their time in charging for it? I would suggest it is used, but NOT by anyone who thinks it is okay to charge for it.

I personally do not use:

hot tubs - takes staff time to clean for a small number of passengers

kids activities - it takes staff time that could be used to offer room service at night

ship tours - it takes staff time that could be used to offer room service at night

art auctions, if they are still around

trivia games - it takes staff time that could be used to offer room service at night

production music shows - pay just like at home

movies - pay just like at home

chairs by the pool - just like airlines

poolside drink attendants - make tip 30% vs 18% if you go get the drink at a bar and all they do is provide you with the product you are buying.

complementary drinks - lost opportunity to make $$ by cruise lines

as some quick examples. Charge for these services and charge a lot of $$$$ for them, as they are valuable services. Those people who use them for sure see the 'added' value above their cruise fare and surely have NO problem paying for services they specifically use.

This follows that everyone has a cabin and that is the only common service. Anything else is optional and personal choice as to where/what/when/how much to eat/drink and in engaging in onboard activities

Anything beyond your cabin should be itemized.

Edited by shipshape sam

I personally feel it is a version of nickel and diming. While it has been awhile since I have used it, I know I have used late night room service. Can someone please refresh my memory what options for food are available during those hours besides room service?

I do often party late into the night and after dancing for 4 or 5 hours in the club, I get hungry. It isn't every cruise, but when I partake, I definitely need to it. At home, I go into my fridge. Since I have no fridge onboard.... They need at least one free option - even if it is only pizza.

There are lots of things onboard that I don't use or partake in. However, you won't find me saying that the cruiseline should start charging for those.

I do hope that Celebrity changes their "24/7 Room Service, free of charge" line in they marketing.

On my most recent postcard/mailing from Celebrity, it just reads "24 hour in-stateroom dining" with no mention of it being complimentary.

At the bottom of the card, of course, there's all the fine print which probably mentions that there may be incidental charges, blah blah blah.... I can't find my reading glasses, though, so I'm just guessing about that lol. :D

I personally feel it is a version of nickel and diming. While it has been awhile since I have used it, I know I have used late night room service. Can someone please refresh my memory what options for food are available during those hours besides room service?

Extraordinarly limited (buffet has pizza until 1am and "late night selections" until 2am), and then none between 2 am and 6 am.

Cannot agree with the current majority that its cheap & tacky, if you really feel its necessary to have room service during the night then a small charge is surely not unreasonable.

If you really feel it's necessary to have breakfast on your balcony...

If you really feel it's necessary to have your room serviced twice a day...

If you really feel it's necessary to have your luggage delivered to your room on the ship...

Surely small charges aren't unreasonable for all of these services either? Get your nickels ready :D

Edited by gergles

Cannot agree with the current majority that its cheap & tacky, if you really feel its necessary to have room service during the night then a small charge is surely not unreasonable.

If you really feel it's necessary to have breakfast on your balcony...

If you really feel it's necessary to have your room serviced twice a day...

If you really feel it's necessary to have your luggage delivered to your room on the ship...

Surely small charges aren't unreasonable for all of these services either? Get your nickels ready :D

This fee will apply to more than just those wanting to have room service late at night. If someone wants to have an early morning breakfast delivered to their room they will also have to pay the fee.

On our last Med cruise we docked in several ports for 7am and had early morning tours booked. As a result, we'd often have breakfast delivered to our room for 5:30am. Going forward, having room service at that hour will encounter a fee.

The reality is that Celebrity can charge higher fares for their cruises, or they can cut costs in areas they believe are not important to most passengers. Take your pick, but stop whining about it.

Actually they've done both.

I've noticed a significant increase in fares along with several cutbacks.

Forgive me as we haven't been on Celebrity yet. We do have a Silhouette cruise scheduled though.

How big are these hot tubs? If the majority of the passengers use them, they must be pretty huge. (Is the Solarium a hot tub? It reads like a pool in the description.) I get that most people use the theater. It's big.

I guess the hot tubs hold up to six people. There are always people in them so while the don't hold 2500 passengers at one time they are used unlike room service a 2 or 3am

The reality is that Celebrity can charge higher fares for their cruises, or they can cut costs in areas they believe are not important to most passengers. Take your pick, but stop whining about it.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other. It's entirely possible that they just figure it's a new revenue source. If it truly were a choice between cutting costs and raising fares, they'd have to raise fares if they didn't collect enough off-hours room service revenue.

Edited by POA1

Every year inflation increases the cost of operating a cruise line, yet the cost of a cruise has not kept pace with those increases for at least the last 25 years. So how do the cruise lines manage it?

They improve their efficiency through scale and better operating processes, and by unbundling services that used to be free or low cost and charging for them (or charging more for them). The new charge for late-night/early morning room service is a good example.

So at the end of the day, the consumer is going to pay for these things one way or the other -- either in higher base cruise fares or in fees for things that used to be free or lower cost.

So take your pick. Or better yet, if you don't care for the pay as you go approach, choose a more all-inclusive cruise line.

Every year inflation increases the cost of operating a cruise line, yet the cost of a cruise has not kept pace with those increases for at least the last 25 years. So how do the cruise lines manage it?

Nickel and diming (sorry, "unbundling") is one way to increase profits while appearing to keep prices the same. There are other ways, and I (and many others) think this particular instance of 'unbundling' is detrimental to the line and creates an atmosphere of unease and discomfort of "oh, great, what else is going to have a secret fee?"

Having guests who are uneasy to do anything onboard because they're worried about piddly charges is a really quick way to decimate your line's profits and just cause the base price to increase (because fewer people are willing to cruise because it is just like a land-based resort vacation where anything you can think of has an upcharge -- yet there's a fixed amount of profit the line requires.)

Nickel and diming (sorry, "unbundling") is one way to increase profits while appearing to keep prices the same. There are other ways, and I (and many others) think this particular instance of 'unbundling' is detrimental to the line and creates an atmosphere of unease and discomfort of "oh, great, what else is going to have a secret fee?"

Having guests who are uneasy to do anything onboard because they're worried about piddly charges is a really quick way to decimate your line's profits and just cause the base price to increase (because fewer people are willing to cruise because it is just like a land-based resort vacation where anything you can think of has an upcharge -- yet there's a fixed amount of profit the line requires.)

What you say may be true. However, most of the cruise lines including Celebrity have made the decision to unbundle and charge, while keeping base fare increases as low as possible, because they think it is the best way forward. If it wasn't working, they wouldn't be doing it.

Having said that, we now have more all or nearly all-inclusive lines than ever before. So this kind of "nickel and diming" is causing some people to move to a higher base fare cruise line without the extra charges.

However, if you move to Azamara, I'm sure Celebrity/RCI would not be too unhappy about it.

Edited by commodoredave

Bless you. :D

Actually they've done both.

I've noticed a significant increase in fares along with several cutbacks.

I'm not sure what "significant" means to others but to me, the fare increases don't seem to be going up dramatically, but for suites. In fact there has been a recent slight DOWN tick in the overall fares since July.

Certainly some itineraries will be higher, others lower, but this is an average.

Fares are basically back UP to where the were in 2012-2013, verandas appear to be slightly above that, but considering this includes a large portion of "all-in 123" promotion, I'd expect to see those cabins with a higher price than a year prior without that perk included in the fare.

76749478_ScreenShot2015-10-03at1_54_28PM.jpg.f25c50ac071a3a8b57c95b6f73cb753e.jpg

Took my first Celebrity cruise last November. I loved it. But, the room service, sigh. So many items on the menu had an upcharge. Was never able to get English muffins, they kept telling us they were out. We ended up going to the buffet and getting them there.

Anyway, I feel like the items that have an upcharge and the extra fee for late night delivery reminds a bit of nickel and dime'ing.

I'm not sure what "significant" means to others but to me, the fare increases don't seem to be going up dramatically, but for suites. In fact there has been a recent slight DOWN tick in the overall fares since July.

Certainly some itineraries will be higher, others lower, but this is an average.

Fares are basically back UP to where the were in 2012-2013, verandas appear to be slightly above that, but considering this includes a large portion of "all-in 123" promotion, I'd expect to see those cabins with a higher price than a year prior without that perk included in the fare.

Interesting chart. What is you source of the raw data?

I am not sure if it reflects advertised price or actual price. I would expect with the new suite benefits that Celebrity is actually experiencing a very significant increase is actual suite prices. In the past there would be a lot of upgrades/ up sells. It is obvious on the cruises that I currently have booked (4) that the suite bookings are very strong and holding their prices. The suite category for our TA for later this month and the 14 day Caribbean cruise in January have been sold out for a long time.

For the sailings I have compared, the price increases have been a lot higher.

The price of my Med cruise this October is almost double compared to what I paid three years ago (same perks, same time of year, similar ship, same cabin category, same length and a similar itinerary).

The 11 day Equinox cruise I took in 2013 is now 50% higher for both 2015 and 2016 sailings (same time of year). The 7 day Summit itinerary I did in 2013 is now 30% higher for both 2016 and 2017 sailings (again, same time of year). Same perks on all sailings.

To me, that is a significant price increase.

We take a Med cruise on Celebrity every other year, & believe me they are charging higher fares..... We're paying double, yes double for our next cruise, & it's only a short 11 day one....

They've raised prices considerably plus cut service.

No whining here, just the facts :)

BTW, I still enjoy cruising with them :)

We take a Med cruise on Celebrity every other year, & believe me they are charging higher fares..... We're paying double, yes double for our next cruise, & it's only a short 11 day one....

They've raised prices considerably plus cut service.

No whining here, just the facts :)

BTW, I still enjoy cruising with them :)

Do a Transatlantic and book early. The prices have remained constant, but increased considerably as the time goes on.

I've only cruised once (second one coming up in December) and made use of the then free late night room service when the hubby and I returned to our room and everything was spinning from the beverages we had throughout the evening. The hot dog and fries I had that night were a god send.

My feelings about the new charge can be summarized as mildly annoyed. The only time I'd use room service that late is if I was drunk, and at that point I know myself well enough that once I see the final bill I'd most likely chalk it up to "eh, worth it," in order to ensure I could chow on some fries to avoid being sick later.