Making sense of awarding upgrades

NCHPcruiser

My husband and I returned Monday from 10 nights aboard the Reflection. We booked a Sky Suite GTY two months prior to sailing date. We received a S2 and were happy with it and thought we got a good value. On the first day of the cruise we became friendly with another couple, first time on Celebrity (one prior cruise on RC). They had booked a regular veranda cabin but were contacted two days prior to embarkation and were offered an upgrade for $500 each to a Celebrity Suite. I am very confused as to how Celebrity decides who to offer upgrades to. While I am not Elite (after our Caribbean cruise in January) I would have expected that someone with some type of status would have been offered the upgrade first. It really bothers my husband who is at the highest level with Delta and Marriott and enjoys the perk of being frequently upgraded. Is there a rhyme or reason as to how upgrades are doled out?

Many times, they will upgrade a "new" cruiser...just to get them hooked on nicer accommodations. You paid less for your cabin than the "upgraded passenger" probably did for their original booking. Many times, they will move someone who paid full price in order to make room for those who paid a lower price for a GTY booking in order to give the GTY booking the lowest cabin available within the category they booked....

We've NEVER been upgraded....but, oh well....that's how it goes!

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Edited by cb at sea

Hmm there may be something to this upgrade from going from RCL to X to Azamara.

Last year I took my first Azamara and booked a balcony and got upgraded to a Suite.. so they may be looking at you going from one brand to another ? :)

Maybe..Just a thought

CC

My husband and I returned Monday from 10 nights aboard the Reflection. We booked a Sky Suite GTY two months prior to sailing date. We received a S2 and were happy with it and thought we got a good value. On the first day of the cruise we became friendly with another couple, first time on Celebrity (one prior cruise on RC). They had booked a regular veranda cabin but were contacted two days prior to embarkation and were offered an upgrade for $500 each to a Celebrity Suite. I am very confused as to how Celebrity decides who to offer upgrades to. While I am not Elite (after our Caribbean cruise in January) I would have expected that someone with some type of status would have been offered the upgrade first. It really bothers my husband who is at the highest level with Delta and Marriott and enjoys the perk of being frequently upgraded. Is there a rhyme or reason as to how upgrades are doled out?

I'm Zenith with Celebrity and have never been "offered" an upgrade so no need to feel that you were treated unfairly.

Hi We are Frequent cruisers with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and occasionally with Azamara, we have never been offered or given an upgrade, I have consoled myself with the reason that I have probably paid a very reasonable price for my cruise perhaps compared to others, that said I have also come across new cruisers who have been given nice upgrades.

Also on one Royal ship that was sailing with lots of empty cabins we still weren't upgraded so I figured we probably never will be. But we have never had a cabin on a Celebrity RCCL or Azamara ship that we have hated, but on our one Princess cruise well that's another story.

I'm going on my 2nd cruise with Celebrity and had booked a verandah balcony. Got a call last week offering me an upgrade to either Concierge, Aqua or Sky (price dependent on what I chose but very good offers). I asked the lady on the phone about the reasons for upgrades and she said there isn't really any logic to them. Mostly, the ones that book directly with Celebrity and not through a travel agency get offered first (that's what she said) and then those that are signed up for the Captain's circle. I don't know how true that is but either way, we took the opportunity to book a Sky suite and I'm looking very forward to having the perks! :D

I've never been able to figure out the rhyme or reason for these things. We have been on 39 cruises. We were upgraded once on Cunard from a princess grill suite to a queens grill suite. The second time was an up sell that we took. Once we were offered an up sell that we turned down. We always book thru a TA. On Cunard it was our first time. The up sells were both on Regent. The cruise lines just want to fill cabins. They probably had waitlisted cabins in less expensive categories.

Edited by I&J Cruisers

I'm Zenith with Celebrity and have never been "offered" an upgrade so no need to feel that you were treated unfairly.

Another Zenith who has not been upgraded through Celebrity. I don't consider the offer to pay more for a cabin an upgrade.

While I agree that the most frequent guests would be the logical choice, one line of thinking may be that these frequent guesta are going to book cruises regardless. The newer cruisers have not shown any brand loyalty yet, and maybe Celebrity thinks this may lead them to more cruises.

Or maybe I have totally overthought the whole process. :confused:

Celebrity always offers suites if not booked close to the cruise to those already booked in Aqua, Concierge or Veranda cabins for payment of $$. Is that an upgrade - not really. They are simply marketing a cabin in their inventory that is a bit hard to sell and opening a cabin in a category sold out.

Now for the real upgrades - Is being moved from a 2 to a 1 in Veranda an upgrade. I guess so but you could have purchased it for only a few $$.

Celebrity always offers suites if not booked close to the cruise to those already booked in Aqua, Concierge or Veranda cabins for payment of $$. Is that an upgrade - not really. They are simply marketing a cabin in their inventory that is a bit hard to sell and opening a cabin in a category sold out.

Now for the real upgrades - Is being moved from a 2 to a 1 in Veranda an upgrade. I guess so but you could have purchased it for only a few $$.

Been in AQ for more than 25 cruises and never offered a special price to move to a Suite. Guess all were taken for my cruises.

Booked a AQ Guarantee for Oct. 17th SIL cruise and assigned a A1. I'll take that as a victory!

Edited by Orator

While I agree that the most frequent guests would be the logical choice, one line of thinking may be that these frequent guesta are going to book cruises regardless. The newer cruisers have not shown any brand loyalty yet, and maybe Celebrity thinks this may lead them to more cruises.

It is more difficult and expensive to secure a new customer than it is to maintain an existing one. A Zenith customer has already proved to Celebrity through their repeat business that free upgrades are not necessary.

If a free upgrade will encourage repeat business than the upgrade pays for itself and is a no brainer.

It might engender good will to give upgrades to existing customers, but that does not contribute either to the cruise line's bottom line or expand their customer base.

Edited by rolfecms

Another Zenith who has not been upgraded through Celebrity. I don't consider the offer to pay more for a cabin an upgrade.

Well, if it were up to me, I would upgrade both of you. :)

Thanks Ed. In the grand scheme of things it's not important. I don't spend a minute worrying about what someone else gets. I'm amazed every day that through lots of hard work we are able to do the wonderful things we have and continue to have the good health to enjoy them.:)

Well, if it were up to me, I would upgrade both of you. :)

Thanks, but as I've said before I get more than I deserve from my "Celebrity family" . An upgrade would be appreciated, but not expected or required. I'm grateful to just be on a ship with fine people.

I think that it would be nice if a honeymoon couple or a couple celebrating their 50th anniversary would get an upgrade.

Edited by Orator

Not sure why, but the upgrade fairy visited us a few weeks ago. We were booked in a Aqua2. When I went to look at edoc's & order luggage tags our cabin had been changed to a Sky Suite. We have doing the happy 💃💃🏾dance ever since. A true upgrade!

This will be our 10th cruise on Celebrity & first time in a suite.

Not too sure what their criteria is but we were offered (and accepted) an upgrade to an S1 corner Sky Suite from veranda for our 12 night Med cruise this past April for $500 Canadian, total. There were three of us travelling so it was wonderful to have the extra room and all the services. They even through in 3 speciality restaurants for 3 people.....it was a no brainer. We booked directly with Celebrity months prior at a super great rate. With the posted rates for S1 and three speciality restaurants, we saved a whopping $9,000!

Not sure why, but the upgrade fairy visited us a few weeks ago. We were booked in a Aqua2. When I went to look at edoc's & order luggage tags our cabin had been changed to a Sky Suite. We have doing the happy 💃💃🏾dance ever since. A true upgrade!

This will be our 10th cruise on Celebrity & first time in a suite.

This is awesome and couldn't have happened to two nicer people.

Congrats and enjoy!!:D

Last year I took my first Azamara and booked a balcony and got upgraded to a Suite.. so they may be looking at you going from one brand to another ? :)

More an upsell than an upgrade...

-----

Loyalty Stateroom Category Upgrade program provides guest the ability to upgrade from Club Interior (categories 09, 10, 11, 12) to Club Oceanview, Club Oceanview (categories 04, 05, 06, 07, 08) to Club Veranda, or Club Veranda (categories (VX, V1, V2, V3) to Club Continent Suite (categories N1 or N2) accommodations, based on availability, for $398 USD per stateroom. Loyalty Stateroom Category Upgrade is not applicable on Club World Owner’s Suites and Club Ocean Suites (categories CW, CO). Equivalent amount in other currency is available. $398 USD will be converted to guest's local currency. Program is available for bookings booked under full fare or general marketplace promotions only. Program is not valid for bookings made in guarantee categories (W, X, Y, Z), for bookings created within 120 days to departure, or bookings that change stateroom categories within 120 days to departure. Only one category upgrade of any kind permitted to reservation. To participate in the program guests or Travel Partners must go to AzamaraClubCruises.com/LCVupgrade and submit an Upgrade Request form. Azamara Club Cruises is not liable for any incorrect contact information included on the form and submitted by themselves or their Travel Partner. Once a guest or Travel Partner is notified by Azamara Club Cruises that they are eligible for the upgrade, it is up to the guest or Travel Partner to provide payment. When a guest or Travel Partner contacts the Call Center, an Azamara Club Cruises agent will validate that the guest is on the waitlist and is eligible for the upgrade before collecting payment and processing the upgrade. If a guest is on back-to-back voyages, and an upgrade becomes available while they are onboard, the Cruise Sales Manager, Guest Relations, or Concierge will contact the guest for payment. Once a guest is notified that an upgrade is available, the upgrade is still subject to availability until member or Travel Partner provides payment to Azamara. Single bookings will be required to pay for two guests ($398) in order to receive the upgrade. If an upgrade becomes available, members or Travel Partners will be contacted 2-4 weeks prior to departure. Requests will be prioritized based on loyalty level (guest with highest status in a stateroom will be used for these purposes) and then based on time of request. Loyalty points will be given for the original stateroom a member purchases, not for the stateroom the member upgrades to. Upgrade requests submitted 1 - 14 days prior to departure, will not be considered for an upgrade. Entries that do not meet the specified criteria, will be disqualified. Terms may vary by country.