Help! Handicapped cabin assigned, not acceptable

beamer8

We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail.

Was this a charge levied by Princess or your Travel Agent. Me thinks you might have been taken for a ride on this one by your TA.

We have seen H/C cabins before and found the large bathroom and sink in the mattress very unacceptable.

I have to agree with the OP 100% on this one. A sink in my mattress would be absolutely unacceptable. I would ask my steward to replace my mattress with one without a sink right away. That is, assuming that I am ever confronted with this issue. Which I kind of doubt I will be.

Sounds like the op is concerned they are close to needed this type of room and are concerned other passengers will think they do.

Out of curiosity, how would other passengers know? I'm elite on Princess and wouldn't recognize an HC cabin from a 'regular' one.

Hi

Cabin door is bigger and near elevator

yours Shogun

Thank you! You learn something new everyday - and since I don't peruse cabin doors I would never, ever had noticed (and I bet the majority of other passengers wouldn't either).

Now if they just had some handicapped minis on the Grand ships, I'd be a happy cruiser. We like the mini space, but having to get into the tub for a shower is nigh impossible.

I know that on the Star there is a mini in the very aft, starboard side Dolphin deck (D733 I believe) that was originally set up to be an HC. For some reason or another it did not quite meet the standards and is not listed as an HC. Some folks on our roll call (Hawaii, 2013) were assigned it as a GTY if I recall correctly. Initially they were not thrilled, but, after boarding and seeing the cabin decided it was great. We got to see it on a cabin crawl and it has the extra large bathroom, with no tub and, bonus!, an extra large balcony.:cool:

If you see a post somewhere from JF - retired RRT ask her about it. They were the couple who had the cabin.

Edited by ar1950

Beamer, for heaven's sakes, if you haven't already done so, CALL Princess and talk to one of the cruise consultants and see if you can be reassigned to another cabin. If it turns out you can't be, then I would advise you to go on your cruise, think about how lucky you were you got ANY room at the last minute (let alone one with lots of extra space), and enjoy your vacation. Is the type of accommodation you've been assigned really that important? You're going to see the Panama Canal! You'll be someplace warm! The food will be great! Obstructed view or not, you can spend most of your time out of your cabin. In the scheme of things, this isn't really something to stress over. Really.

It seems to me that the OP booked a GTY and then didn't get an upgrade to their perfect dream cabin and now are upset. I'm sure they saw all the glowing reports here about the wonderful upgrades people have gotten and had a false sense of security/entitlement.

The vast majority don't get wonderful upgrades, they get what they paid for or small bonuses like moving down one deck.

Now if they just had some handicapped minis on the Grand ships, I'd be a happy cruiser. We like the mini space, but having to get into the tub for a shower is nigh impossible.

You'd be a happy camper if there were more handicap cabins because you're handicapped and are having a hard time getting booked into one?

Or you just think it would be cool to kind of get a suite like cabin without having to pay for one?

There are, D732 and D733 are accessible with no barrier showers.

Mike:)

You'd be a happy camper if there were more handicap cabins because you're handicapped and are having a hard time getting booked into one?

Or you just think it would be cool to kind of get a suite like cabin without having to pay for one?

What a bizarre question.

What? Where did this come from? She was saying that she can't get in and out of a regular tub easily. Yes, she was saying she was handicapped. Why the hostility? She never said she wasn't willing to pay for the cabin she wanted. She was saying she wished there were more handicap suites/cabins.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Poppy and Nana are wanting a handicap accessible cabin in a mini-suite category on the Grand. They want one because a mini had a bathtub and they would prefer a walk in shower with the additional space...which I would think they would pay for.

Don't understand where you got a "suite like cabin" from. Mini-suites are not smaller suites. Princess really needs to rename this category.

Now to address Poppy and Nana...Look into the Handicap Accessible Window Suite (F315) on the Grand. It goes for about the same price as a Mini-suite WITH all the suite perks. But you will need to book them really early because they are sold very quickly.

Don't understand where you got a "suite like cabin" from. Mini-suites are not smaller suites. Princess really needs to rename this category. ...

I've never seen one so I really don't know. If a mini suite isn't a smaller version of a suite, then what is it?

Edited by Treven

I've never seen one so I really don't know. If a mini suite isn't a smaller version of a suite, then what is it?

Really nothing other than a larger balcony cabin.

But then I'm not sure who decides what can and can't be called a suite.

And some near on mid ship.

What if you need a HC and one of you suffers seasickness.

My other issue is if I need a HC I can't get the deal that some take with a gty the HC is also normally in a higher category.

Unfortunately we booked our cruise late on the Princess Coral panama canal.

We booked a Gty cabin.

Today we were assigned a handicapped cabin and we absolutely do not want it. There were only obstructed view cabins available which we had to accept. We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail. We sail in 7 days and now got the assignment. What if any are we legally bound to accept this HC cabin?:mad:

Accepting an obstructed view and now a handicapped cabin, how can we get out of this?????:confused:

You can't have your cake and eat it too!

It boggles my mind that people want the lowest price and "agree" to the gty and then when they are assigned a cabin they are not happy with, complain. It's a gamble.

We pay the extra to choose the cabin we want because we want a say in where we "live" for the week or so we are on board.

I don't understand why having a huge stateroom (compared to standard ones) with a normal bed is a problem?! We were assigned an HC stateroom one time. It was like having a suite! The only minor annoyances are the tweaks to the bathroom, but even then, we appreciated having a big shower area. I know everyone's different, though, so...ask your TA if you can "downgrade" yourselves to a lower category Obstructed stateroom and hope you get a standard one. Be forewarned, though, that the view may be completely obstructed! Then you may be complaining about that! I would check the Obstructed Oceanview stateroom website designed by a Cruise Critic user to see what type of view you were assigned. Maybe it's great! whatever you decide to do, I hope it turns it to be a fantastic cruise! [emoji568]

You can't have your cake and eat it too!

It boggles my mind that people want the lowest price and "agree" to the gty and then when they are assigned a cabin they are not happy with, complain. It's a gamble.

We pay the extra to choose the cabin we want because we want a say in where we "live" for the week or so we are on board.

I am amazed that they will let you book a Gty and then say "Nope can we have a different one" seems to defeat the whole purpose of paying extra to pick my own cabin.

We booked a GTY Aqua on Celebrity and the only cabins unsold were the HC ones so we were hoping for one of those. Sadly didn't happen. I know on Celebrity only people in the USA and maybe Canada can change the allocated GTY cabin - no one else can and maybe Princess is the same.

I would have no idea where the HC are located - all doors look the same to me!:o

On a cruise last year, I ran across a gentleman in a wheelchair who was struggling to get into a regular cabin. He, unfortunately, broke his leg just before the cruise and they didn't have any handicap cabins available.

I understand that it is not business profitable to keep a cabin open...just in case...but I am sure this gentleman would have been delighted to have a handicap accessible cabin. He was not permanently handicap, just poor timing for his accident.

And on this same cruise, the cabin next to me was an accessible cabin that "seemed" to be booked by someone who may have been "upgraded". Much larger balcony, etc.

Princess does a great job, but can't predict each cruise and their passengers' needs 100%.