Help! Handicapped cabin assigned, not acceptable

beamer8

We got assigned to an accessible cabin before as well. We enjoyed it, but we didn't really like the bathroom because we're really tall and the sinks were very low (it makes sense, just not for us). Still, we had a great time. Our only real complaint was the cabin was located right under the buffet and around 5:30a every morning they started dragging carts around so there were lots of thuds.

That's a whole different issue.

The space in the cabin was very nice and since we got it at the last minute we knew we were not keeping it from someone who needed it more. We even told them that we'd be happy to change if someone that required the cabin asked for it. They appreciated that and it helped make us feel like we weren't edging someone else out.

I think ours was almost 100 sq ft larger than other cabins in the same class.

Tom

Not being mean or anything, but that reads like someone who can't hear very well and refuses to get hearing aids and expects everyone to TALK LOUDLY to them. (I have this situation with people in my life). Regardless, I do hope the both of you can continue to cruise together.

Lol. You are so right.:D Along with not hearing me [he would never need a hearing aid!], he refuses to get bifocals, but has two pair of glasses, for reading and distance, and I need to find those from time to time. On the other hand, he takes me on cruises and looks great on formal night in his white dinner jacket.

You have identified one of my inside tips for booking cruises. I like the last minute handicap rooms (of course assuming no handicap person needs the room). As a side note I had a shower stool in my shower all week that I sort of enjoyed.

Nancyquilts: Your hubby wouldn't even go for the blended lenses? I wear blended trifocals and I'm very pleased with them; I've worn blended trifocals for several years, having "graduated" from blended bifocals. I had the lined bifocals for a couple years, but I just didn't care for them - they made me look old!

I know that on the Star there is a mini in the very aft, starboard side Dolphin deck (D733 I believe) that was originally set up to be an HC. For some reason or another it did not quite meet the standards and is not listed as an HC. Some folks on our roll call (Hawaii, 2013) were assigned it as a GTY if I recall correctly. Initially they were not thrilled, but, after boarding and seeing the cabin decided it was great. We got to see it on a cabin crawl and it has the extra large bathroom, with no tub and, bonus!, an extra large balcony.:cool:

If you see a post somewhere from JF - retired RRT ask her about it. They were the couple who had the cabin.

My mom and I were booked on a 10 day Mexico cruise on the Grand in a Balcony. Three days before the cruise the upgrade fairy sprinkled her dust and we were upgraded (free free free) to this very mini-suite as well. It was fantastic! It's on the starboard side, the last cabin before the aft facing cabins. The only thing with it, is that the two beds cannot be put into a queen the way the room is laid out. But that was perfectly fine for my mother and I. Balcony was s-p-a-c-i-o-u-s! Easily 3 times larger than the other ones. I think they are not classified as a true HC room because of the placement of the door. It is between the bathroom and the beds. It definitely is wide enough for a wheelchair, but awkward to access. My mom will never be happy with a regular cabin again (yes, she will haha).

Nancyquilts: Your hubby wouldn't even go for the blended lenses? I wear blended trifocals and I'm very pleased with them; I've worn blended trifocals for several years, having "graduated" from blended bifocals. I had the lined bifocals for a couple years, but I just didn't care for them - they made me look old!

Nope. But our son is happy with those. Maybe it is a question of being able to control something as you get older.

My mom and I were booked on a 10 day Mexico cruise on the Grand in a Balcony. Three days before the cruise the upgrade fairy sprinkled her dust and we were upgraded (free free free) to this very mini-suite as well. It was fantastic! It's on the starboard side, the last cabin before the aft facing cabins. The only thing with it, is that the two beds cannot be put into a queen the way the room is laid out. But that was perfectly fine for my mother and I. Balcony was s-p-a-c-i-o-u-s! Easily 3 times larger than the other ones. I think they are not classified as a true HC room because of the placement of the door. It is between the bathroom and the beds. It definitely is wide enough for a wheelchair, but awkward to access. My mom will never be happy with a regular cabin again (yes, she will haha).

We were assigned one of those cabins, too. Had the steward put the beds in queen config. It works, but the space to walk from the bed area to the balcony is a little tight. I posted pix here, since I couldn't find any when trying to find out more about the cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959727

I tried those progressive lenses - once. Yikes, drove me nuts because the field of vision was restricted. And I only needed readers for up close small print or for computer screens with smaller print (cannot stand large size computer screen content as don['t get as much on the screen).

Anyway, I prefer regular lenses. I do plan to get a lens soon with a larger bifocal bottom and to heck if it makes me look "old". I think that is just a left-over stigma from when there were only bifocals and progressives not invented yet.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to progressive lenses. Now I love them. I can see everything without having to pack around any other pairs.

I also have transition lenses that I also love. I guess each of us is different!

Tom

I tried those progressive lenses - once. Yikes, drove me nuts because the field of vision was restricted. And I only needed readers for up close small print or for computer screens with smaller print (cannot stand large size computer screen content as don['t get as much on the screen).

Anyway, I prefer regular lenses. I do plan to get a lens soon with a larger bifocal bottom and to heck if it makes me look "old". I think that is just a left-over stigma from when there were only bifocals and progressives not invented yet.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to progressive lenses. Now I love them. I can see everything without having to pack around any other pairs.

I also have transition lenses that I also love. I guess each of us is different!

Tom

Same. The trick is to buy the most expensive ones you can get as they offer the best technology for getting the field of vision correctly. But I cant use them for the computer. I especially love them with travel when things are not familiar.

Tom

Yes, my original Rx did get some getting used to, but that was a short period of time. Now, even when I get a new Rx, it only takes me a day or so of breaking in time. I couldn't go back to having single focal lenses now.

Plus mine are transition lenses as well, so I don't have to keep switching between clear glasses and sunglasses. That certainly is almost as big a convenience as progressives.

Edited by Treven

A bit OT: I did see a passenger tender from the Ruby at Catalina Island recently with a folding wheelchair. I had never seen this done before. It took up no more room than another passenger who boarded with a bicycle.

Carnival is using the old Catalina Ferries. Roll on and off. There was one guy using a powered chair.

Is there braile on the cabin door door?

No. You should find a "spyhole" down at wheelchair height though. I can't remember if there are two of them - one low and one high - but that's pretty standard for HC rooms anywhere.

My son has to book one of the HC rooms when he cruises so we already knew they were larger and, like I said above, I was bumped to one myself earlier this year. They are good cabins. I had actually booked the cheapest inside cabin for a 4 day coastal (all I could fit into my work schedule) and shortly before the cruise was bumped to a HC accessible balcony cabin on Caribe deck of Crown Princess. Fantastic upgrade! Not only did I get the deeper Caribe balcony, the room and balcony were 1.5 times as wide as a regular balcony cabin. The extra large bathroom was just icing on the cake.

Edited by Thrak

We once needed a handicapped cabin. the emergency putting my husband in a wheelchair (and the cruise was one month long) happened three weeks before the cruise. it was on HAL. they have a special department geared to helping the handicapped. Was told no handicapped cabin available. Our wheelchair was too wide for their doors and hubby couldn't stand to enter room while I would collapse the chair. They told us if anyone once on board didn't need a handicapped, they would be asked to switch. Well, never happened. We managed somewhat and hubby was able to stand and walk through the doorway. The sad thing once on the ship was all those people walking around that

had the handicapped rooms.(our next door neighbor was one of them.)

And so many people using scooters had no way of getting them in their cabins.

I say shame on people taking a handicapped that don't need it.If I were assigned a handicapped and no other cabin available, I would tell Princess please put us on a list for anyone that may call and need it and we would be very happy to switch.Still would feel really bad using something I didn't need. Even though the size of those cabins are incredible, I don't deserve one and hope I never need one (or my husband again).My sister was a paraplegic and I am fully aware of the limitations she had due to being paralized.

When helping me with some shopping, she was able to use my Handicapped Parking Permit, a friend of hers was quite verbally abusive at seeing her parked in a Permit Only area, and I'm standing beside the car with my Rollator! It was sorted out, just a misunderstanding that ANY vehicle transporting me, can use my permit, family members who help me with transport regularly enjoy the easier parking in exchange for their help!

It is amazing when people spout off without knowing. If they are really concerned they can question in a suitable tone of voice. I'll give you two examples:

My sister in law gets out of her Acura sports car parked in the HC spot. A passerby yells at her how dare she take the spot from someone that truly needs it. They saw the car, they saw the cute blonde. What they didn't see was the wig she was wearing to cover her bald head. The cancer was in her legs and her brain. She died two months later.

My 85 YO mother pulled into a HC spot in Vancouver BC. She has a HC license plate from California. In California you don't have to put the placard up because your plates already state that you are HCed. Apparently in BC they only issues placards, no plates. This lovely passerby starts yelling at my mother, upsets her terribly because she doesn't think to look at the plates. My mother tried to tell her but she didn't care. The woman was wrong, plain and simple.

Honestly, it is not the responsibility of others to tell anyone where they can or cannot park. Regardless of whether that person is wrong. Call the police. They are the ones that need to do it. If you really need to comment then do it in "an inside voice". You just might be wrong.

As for the handicap cabins: maybe when you tried to book the cabin was already taken. It sounds like they open up over time so maybe checking often is an idea. I'm not trying to be flippant but some are saying I have to book 18 months out and others are saying I don't want it. Maybe the cruise lines need to do a better job of offering them. I dunno.

I have a handicap room on my April cruise. At this point there are still some HC rooms available on the ship.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We once needed a handicapped cabin. the emergency putting my husband in a wheelchair (and the cruise was one month long) happened three weeks before the cruise. it was on HAL. they have a special department geared to helping the handicapped. Was told no handicapped cabin available. Our wheelchair was too wide for their doors and hubby couldn't stand to enter room while I would collapse the chair. They told us if anyone once on board didn't need a handicapped, they would be asked to switch. Well, never happened. We managed somewhat and hubby was able to stand and walk through the doorway. The sad thing once on the ship was all those people walking around that

had the handicapped rooms.(our next door neighbor was one of them.)

And so many people using scooters had no way of getting them in their cabins.

I say shame on people taking a handicapped that don't need it.If I were assigned a handicapped and no other cabin available, I would tell Princess please put us on a list for anyone that may call and need it and we would be very happy to switch.Still would feel really bad using something I didn't need. Even though the size of those cabins are incredible, I don't deserve one and hope I never need one (or my husband again).My sister was a paraplegic and I am fully aware of the limitations she had due to being paralized.

So, how did you know your next door neighbor(s) didn't have a hidden disability? Or if not, after explaining your plight, did you ask them if they were willing to swap cabins with you?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

They told us if anyone once on board didn't need a handicapped, they would be asked to switch.

Unfortunately in your case, USA laws do not allow Princess to ask passengers what their handicap is which would require a HC cabin.

So unless someone cancelled or let Princess know they did not need a HC cabin, none would become available.

What you could do is mention to the passengers in the HC cabin next door that in case they were assigned an HC cabin and didn't want one, you would be interested in trading cabins as you do require one and none were available.

By doing this, you are not inquiring directly as to the nature of any disability they may or may not have. All they have to say is yes or no to the offer of a trade.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78