Help! Handicapped cabin assigned, not acceptable

beamer8

On a cruise last year, I ran across a gentleman in a wheelchair who was struggling to get into a regular cabin. He, unfortunately, broke his leg just before the cruise and they didn't have any handicap cabins available.

I understand that it is not business profitable to keep a cabin open...just in case...but I am sure this gentleman would have been delighted to have a handicap accessible cabin. He was not permanently handicap, just poor timing for his accident.

And on this same cruise, the cabin next to me was an accessible cabin that "seemed" to be booked by someone who may have been "upgraded". Much larger balcony, etc.

Princess does a great job, but can't predict each cruise and their passengers' needs 100%.

I would agree to give up my cabin if I was assigned an accessible one off a GTY booking and Princess approached me stating they had a last minute need for such a cabin. I bet most people would.

I would agree to give up my cabin if I was assigned an accessible one off a GTY booking and Princess approached me stating they had a last minute need for such a cabin. I bet most people would.

That's very nice of you. Don't know if Princess even tried. I guess it was so last minute. But nice to know there are good people out there.

We recently returned from Alaska on a RT from Seattle on the Crown. The couple we were traveling with booked late and received a handicapped balcony cabin. It was HUGE! We ended up spending a lot of time in their cabin as we cruised the beautiful Alaskan landscape. They were very happy with the accommodations.

Edited by BigGuy25

Call Princess to see if you can change. If you're successful, maybe someone who needs that cabin can take advantage of it, even at this late stage. Then go to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum under Special Interest Cruising and post the following message( you can just cut and paste).

I hope you enjoy your cruise in any case.

Title: HC cabin available for Coral Princess 10-day Panama Canal 10/8/15 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

Message: Princess assigned this cabin( insert cabin number here) to us after we booked a GTY late. We didn't want it, called Princess, and they assigned us another cabin. I know these cabins are often difficult to book for those needing it, so I'm posting this in case anyone who needs a HC cabin and can book a last-minute cruise can take advantage of it. Give Princess a call.

Win-Win.

I agree that most would, I just hope Princess would have the sense to ask.

I at times could use a HCF cabin, but would happily give it up for someone whose needs were greater.

I should have added most also have a larger bathroom with a tub, not just a shower.

And a sitting area with a loveseat and coffee table in addition to a 2nd TV (so you can watch TV in bed or in the sitting area).

Gee. I'm disabled, need a wider door for my walker, but none were available in my category on the Crown. I'm hoping something will still open in the next week. Be grateful

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

I've never seen one so I really don't know. If a mini suite isn't a smaller version of a suite, then what is it?

The only reason Priness calls it a Mini suite, it has a small couch. Big Deal. I like the larger balcony, we will be in our first suite, so it will interesting.

Unfortunately we booked our cruise late on the Princess Coral panama canal.

We booked a Gty cabin.

Today we were assigned a handicapped cabin and we absolutely do not want it. There were only obstructed view cabins available which we had to accept. We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail. We sail in 7 days and now got the assignment. What if any are we legally bound to accept this HC cabin?:mad:

Accepting an obstructed view and now a handicapped cabin, how can we get out of this?????:confused:

Stay where you are!! We had the same type of cabin on the Queen Victoria. It had to be at least 50% larger than a similar cabin. That made it all the better for us.

I have a feeling that if the OP had been given a handicapped balcony cabin it would have been a different story.

Of course we would all like the very best cabin but with a gty you never know. Maybe they should book and pay for exactly want they want and avoid the drama. Especially on a packed ship with a popular cruise.

Interesting that the OP has vanished.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

I have a feeling that if the OP had been given a handicapped balcony cabin it would have been a different story.

Of course we would all like the very best cabin but with a gty you never know. Maybe they should book and pay for exactly want they want and avoid the drama. Especially on a packed ship with a popular cruise.

Interesting that the OP has vanished.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

Interesting.... Yes

Surprising..... No

What? Where did this come from? She was saying that she can't get in and out of a regular tub easily. Yes, she was saying she was handicapped. Why the hostility? She never said she wasn't willing to pay for the cabin she wanted. She was saying she wished there were more handicap suites/cabins.

Thank you for your support. :D I have used a walker for the last 4 years to be safe in taking even one step. The step into the bathroom is a problem, but easier than the bathtub. I had heard about the aft cabins, but DH has balance problems walking any distance, so we try for a mini near the center of the ship. We used to love the aft cabins, but didn't have walking problems then. We loved the Caribe balconies when there was a comfortable chair to bring in so we could each have one. Needing a walker was never on my bucket list. :(

We get my 92 year old father a electric scooter for cruises. it's not that expensive and it sure does help him. He can go anywhere on the ship and with his cane he gets off and usually just walks a few steps to where he has to sit down.

Thank you for your support. :D I have used a walker for the last 4 years to be safe in taking even one step. The step into the bathroom is a problem, but easier than the bathtub. I had heard about the aft cabins, but DH has balance problems walking any distance, so we try for a mini near the center of the ship. We used to love the aft cabins, but didn't have walking problems then. We loved the Caribe balconies when there was a comfortable chair to bring in so we could each have one. Needing a walker was never on my bucket list. :(

Now if they just had some handicapped minis on the Grand ships, I'd be a happy cruiser. We like the mini space, but having to get into the tub for a shower is nigh impossible.

Nancy,

If you're ever looking at the Sapphire get D737. I've had this mini several times and it's wonderful. If you leave the bathroom door open while you shower in your large walk in shower you can look out over the ocean. I've even seen a whale breach while showering. The additional balcony and wake view off the back. What more could you ask for? It says on the website twin only but the cabin attendant will turn it into a queen if you ask.

My husband needs a handicapped cabin and we are very thankful when we can find one available. We can never say we are willing for an upgrade. Shore excursions are limited when you have to find something with little walking and few stairs. Can you take a wheelchair or scooter on the tender? Probably not.

Forget about trying to get through a regular cabin door. An inside handicapped cabin is the size of one and a half regular cabins. Suites seem to be booked before a cruise is even announced. There are lots of cruises we are interested in but no cabins available when needed.

Now if they just had some handicapped minis on the Grand ships, I'd be a happy cruiser. We like the mini space, but having to get into the tub for a shower is nigh impossible.

Would a "semi" handicap cabin work for you? We booked a mini gty and were assigned a mini that was supposed to be handicap, but there is something that did not pass muster. Many don't know about these cabins, so I took lots of pix and posted in a thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1959727

Post #12 lists the ships that have these cabins.

Would a "semi" handicap cabin work for you? We booked a mini gty and were assigned a mini that was supposed to be handicap, but there is something that did not pass muster. Many don't know about these cabins, so I took lots of pix and posted in a thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1959727

Post #12 lists the ships that have these cabins.

Unfortunately, no. We used to love the aft cabins, but DH has trouble walking and refuses to use any support, even a cane, so we need to be closer to the center of the ship for dining, etc. Those cabins do sound great, tho'.:D

Unfortunately, no. We used to love the aft cabins, but DH has trouble walking and refuses to use any support, even a cane, so we need to be closer to the center of the ship for dining, etc. Those cabins do sound great, tho'.:D

Not being mean or anything, but that reads like someone who can't hear very well and refuses to get hearing aids and expects everyone to TALK LOUDLY to them. (I have this situation with people in my life). Regardless, I do hope the both of you can continue to cruise together.

Edited by steelers36

Not being mean or anything, but that reads like someone who can't hear very well and refuses to get hearing aids and expects everyone to TALK LOUDLY to them. (I have this situation with people in my life). Regardless, I do hope the both of you can continue to cruise together.

Ha (!), sounds like my Mom. She steadfastly refused to admit to having a real problem walking around. The last cruise we took with her we bought a walker from Costco on line and brought the box with us (we had previously opened it and assembled and then dissembled it to make sure it was all there). When we gave it to her she was somewhat nonplussed, but, accepted it and used it. After the cruise she actually said thanks for it and was happy to have had it. When, and if, I have an issue with mobility I am going to grab whatever works for me. We are none of us getting any younger! :eek:

Edited by ar1950

...Can you take a wheelchair or scooter on the tender? Probably not...

A bit OT: I did see a passenger tender from the Ruby at Catalina Island recently with a folding wheelchair. I had never seen this done before. It took up no more room than another passenger who boarded with a bicycle.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Can you take a wheelchair or scooter on the tender?

It depends on several things.

First is the weight of the wheelchair. I do not know the weight limit.

Second is the ability of the person to get onto the tender (with assistance) not using the wheelchair as the combined weight would be too high.

And third are the sea conditions. If the water is too choppy, it is too dangerous even if the first and second conditions are met.