How's Your Coffee?

I find UHT milk is OK as long as it's cold, so I can drink a splash of it in tea, but as soon as it's heated it develops that really nasty taste. No lattes on board for me, or anywhere else where UHT milk is regularly used. I don't drink lattes in Asian cities for the same reason. Even in Europe many cafes use UHT milk.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It's 15 on Princess Card.

Sorry but I've never seen fresh milk on any ship, it's always UHT.

They can't get fresh milk every day.

And all the time I thought they kept cows down in the keel of the ship and milked them each day.

Just like the chickens they keep to supply fresh eggs. I thought they got fed on the scraps the diners leave.:D:D

And all the time I thought they kept cows down in the keel of the ship and milked them each day.

Just like the chickens they keep to supply fresh eggs. I thought they got fed on the scraps the diners leave.:D:D

All going with the fresh fish caught on the rear nets overnight. :p

We've never had a decent coffee on a ship, or in the US! I find the tea pretty ordinary too. I take along a Starbucks product called "Via" which is micro ground coffee in little sachets. I don't like Starbucks coffee normally but his stuff is good and comes in a small boxes so is easy to carry. Being a tea addict I take my favourite tea bags too!

Thanks 3littkepigs I will check out that product, can you get it in Starbucks in Aust?

Over roasted, Over-Extracted, Over priced and Over here!

Starbucks American patron saint, Daddy Warbucks with his selection of four to five buck abominations...

Where is the barf bucket?

A pox on anyone who spends a red cent there...

:( :rolleyes: :eek:

Starbucks American patron saint, Daddy Warbucks with his selection of four to five buck abominations...

Harsh.:cool:

So you're a fan then?:p

No no no you only get cows on solstice, what else would the grass be for.

Harsh.:cool:

G'day Mic

How was the latest trip?

You were sorely missed.

Harsh but fair, lol. :D

I just find it absolutely hilarious that usually the biggest complainers about bad coffee are those that drown it in milk and then either proceed to shovel upwards of 3,4,5 spoonful's of refined, raw, sugar or some variation of chemical additive like sweet & lo into their beverage but proclaim to all and sundry that they are a coffee lover and isn't this coffee bad! rotflmao!

No you are a lover of a coffee scented milkshake that you are sucking through a sugar cane straw or chemical laced bio product derivative you brain dead bint. :p

End of rant.

:cool:

So you're a fan then? :p

G'day Gut

I hear you're close to bon voyaging again?

Lucky you! Where to this time?

Just one of my pet peeves amongst the very many gumpy old men head shakers, mate lol...

You'd think after a three month self imposed net, techno, hiatus I'd be a mellow fellow, lol...

cheers, r

G'day Gut

I hear you're close to bon voyaging again?

Lucky you! Where to this time?

Just one of my pet peeves amongst the very many gumpy old men head shakers, mate lol...

You'd think after a three month self imposed net, techno, hiatus I'd be a mellow fellow, lol...

cheers, r

G'day Rabbit

No the hiatus makes it worse, let's the anger build without an outlet.

Yep Exactly a week to go (not that anyone's counting mind you).

33 nights circumnavigation of Aus and South Island NZ.

Bring it on.

After reading all the complaints about coffee I wonder why some CC's even bother to leave home. Coffee is like food, is like the weather, is like the bed, is like the Port, is like embarking/disembarking. I could go on. It's all hit and miss and you win some and you loose some. Just enjoy the moment.:D

After reading all the complaints about coffee I wonder why some CC's even bother to leave home. Coffee is like food, is like the weather, is like the bed, is like the Port, is like embarking/disembarking. I could go on. It's all hit and miss and you win some and you loose some. Just enjoy the moment.:D

Following that line of reasoning you may as well close CC down

Following that line of reasoning you may as well close CC down

Sorry I forgot for a moment we are all critics and according to the Oxford Dictionary a critic is "a person skilled in judging the merits of some class of things: one who censures or finds fault". I guess we can only improve things after we find fault.

G'day Mic

How was the latest trip?

You were sorely missed.

Harsh but fair, lol. :D

I just find it absolutely hilarious that usually the biggest complainers about bad coffee are those that drown it in milk and then either proceed to shovel upwards of 3,4,5 spoonful's of refined, raw, sugar or some variation of chemical additive like sweet & lo into their beverage but proclaim to all and sundry that they are a coffee lover and isn't this coffee bad! rotflmao!

No you are a lover of a coffee scented milkshake that you are sucking through a sugar cane straw or chemical laced bio product derivative you brain dead bint. :p

End of rant.

Cheers, the rip was fab.

BTW, I have my coffee black no sugar which is why the cruise line coffee is drinkable but not a pleasant experience.

Sorry I forgot for a moment we are all critics and according to the Oxford Dictionary a critic is "a person skilled in judging the merits of some class of things: one who censures or finds fault". I guess we can only improve things after we find fault.

CC= Constructive Criticism.:D

CC= Constructive Criticism.:D

Exactly.:) Much better interpretation of CC. Thank you. I love this site for the information and feedback it provides and it concerns me when some of the posts just drift in whinging and complaining mostly about things we have little control over. Life is so short.

Edited by happysnapper

As the OP'er it has been fun and interesting reading the feedback so far. Coffee, or should I say coffee quality, has for some time been a source of complaint from cruisers and its good to see that some cruise lines have gone some way toward making improvements.

My preference is for black espresso, and the wife likes her cappacinos.

As a previous poster infered you can tell real good coffee by not having all the additives but others like the extras but you still need good coffee to start with. At home I brew my espresso using an Italian Atomic espresso machine but lately if I want a quick brew its from an Aldi coffee pod machine. Still better than most ships' coffee I've had. BTW, instant is a last resort.

So, I have yet to experience RCI coffee, have they followed X with their Lavazza machines?

Edited by lyndarra
typo

I think some of CC members need to take a chill pill. Cruising is like any other activity, sometimes things don't go as planned. Ok, you paid $$$ and expectations are high. If you look at all the good things cruising offers, lots of food, lots of choices, entertainment, cabin serviced twice a day, polite crew, great scenery, making new friends, the list goes on and on. A bad cup of coffee is not going to spoil our cruise. From an unsweetened coffee lover! :D

So, I have yet to experience RCI coffee, have they followed X with their Lavazza machines?

When we were on the Voyager earlier this year the Food & Beverage Manager said the coffee was Starbucks. :eek::eek:

Edited by cruisine21

Agree don't know why you can't get a decent cup of coffee on most cruise ships, Oceania is the only one I have cruised on that does a decent coffee they have trained baristas on board, recently on HAL the coffee was shocking even Explorer lounge where we paid around $5 a cup. Even went looking for coffee bags in Italy, so we could have at least one decent cup a day. Anyone with thoughts re upcoming VOS cruise, should I bring coffee bags? Also does anyone know if they have peppermint tea bags on board, or should I bring my own. Had to resort to buying peppermint tea bags for my cruise on HAL as they only had green tea with mint. Thanks guys.

We were on VOS in March and they had peppermint tea bags but not in great supply. Struggled to find some in the Windjammer but ok in the promenade cafe.

In my experience the findings are thus.

The Free Coffee in buffet and MDRs is best (still not great) on P&O followed by NCL, Princess, with RCI and X as the worst but still drinkable if desperate.

The bought Coffee (Cappuccinos, etc,) from Café's on ships is best on X and RCI followed by P&O and Princess. (didn't have any bought ones on NCL).

I cruise for the itinerary and experience and the coffee does not affect it much at all.:D