Dessert extravaganza?

Tina G

I've been away from HAL for two years. What happened to the dessert extravaganza that used to be on the last formal night? Desserts have gone down in quality since I last cruised with HAL IMHO.

No more extravaganzas. They were held too late in the evenings and the items were never all consumed which caused a lot of waste.

Also the International menu on the last night is long gone as well.

Edited by Crew News

Desserts have gone down in quality since I last cruised with HAL IMHO.

I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly prior to our cruise last month on the Maasdam. Best darned desserts I've enjoyed in a long time! :)

Great choice! :)

I should clarify my earlier comment: the desserts in the Lido! Those in the MDR and specialty restaurants were good, but those in the Lido g-r-e-a-t.

I will second that, my DH had 3 desserts one evening because they all looked so lovely

We had a dessert extravaganza on Eurodam in October 2012. The custom-made cabinets to hold the caramelized apples were jaw-dropping.

On the Rotterdam in September 2013 there was a dessert extravaganza in the atrium that featured cheeses and Dutch treats. That cruise left from Rotterdam and was 95 percent Dutch. :)

Not an event that I miss--but I certainly understand others disappointment.

I have always felt that desserts on HAL have been pretty pedestrian; but that makes it easy to pass them by and get cheese plate, instead.

And don't forget, if there's a chilled fruit soup on the MDR menu, you can just order that for dessert--and they are invariably excellent!

I have always felt that desserts on HAL have been pretty pedestrian; but that makes it easy to pass them by and get cheese plate, instead.

And don't forget, if there's a chilled fruit soup on the MDR menu, you can just order that for dessert--and they are invariably excellent!

What a good idea! HAL's cakes are all bland (I think they put the ship's quota of vanilla into the yummy bread pudding). Creme brulees are good. But a fruit soup for dessert sound delicious! (except I'd want a cookie on the side...)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We had some excellent desserts on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. Some were pretty basic, but there were some real stand outs. Granted, nothing has ever topped the vintage 2003-2004 Snickers Pie....

Always ask your waiter for dessert recommendations. Even if you don't order, it's good to know.

We had some excellent desserts on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. Some were pretty basic, but there were some real stand outs. Granted, nothing has ever topped the vintage 2003-2004 Snickers Pie....

Always ask your waiter for dessert recommendations. Even if you don't order, it's good to know.

Even if I don't order???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Moi NEVER skips dessert!!!!!

So true about the cold soups. Our waiter would add a small scoop of ice cream every now and then - heaven! If you want a cookie 3rd gen cunard all you have to do is ask as they are always available for the sorbet dessert. My favorite is lemon sorbet with fresh raspberries. Sigh - 3 more months before I sail again.....

Edited by take us away

Oh the snickers pie .....LOVE! I know we had a really good dessert one night that both your DW and I had that was so good. I can't remember what it was :o. I'm thinking it was an ice cream espresso pie but I'm not sure.

The Snickers Pie was so jaw dropping sweet and SO delicious. I loved that pie and was one of the few desserts I could not pass up. I also like the cappuccino bomb ice cream ball coated in chocolate. :) Makes me swoon just thinking about it.

The Snickers Pie was so jaw dropping sweet and SO delicious. I loved that pie and was one of the few desserts I could not pass up. I also like the cappuccino bomb ice cream ball coated in chocolate. :) Makes me swoon just thinking about it.

Yeah the bomb was good. I like the fruit crisps they have now. It seems to be my go to dessert quite often and I can pretend it's health because it's fruit :D.

It has been over a couple of years since we have eaten in the main dining room.

But when we did, we were not impressed with HAL's desserts.

I find that the desserts do not taste anywhere near as good as they look. Very bland, in fact.

Edited by Lizzie68

I find that the desserts do not taste anywhere near as good as they look. Very bland, in fact.

The cakes certainly are bland. We went to a cupcake tea one time and every cupcake tasted the same--sweet. Just sweet, not other flavor. They just had different food coloring in the cake and the frosting. I wanted to find a grocery store in port and buy the pastry chef a few lemons and a bottle of vanilla extract. Oddly, though, they put plenty of vanilla in the bread pudding and the sauce that goes with it. Maybe they use it all that way?

On the Statendam 30 day South Pacific cruise in Feb we have the desert extravaganza one of the last nights but on the Veendam 35 day Voyage of the Vikings in Aug we did not have it.

My favorite desert is the brownie stack with ice cream.:D

As much as I enjoyed the dessert extravaganza, it is an awful waste of food. I have a sweet tooth so I eat way more dessert then is good for me. I never have found cause to complain about dessert, there is always lots to choose from. The only thing I ever complain about is the horrible coffee that is served in the Lido, the rest of the ship the coffee is drinkable.

Allan

The Cappuccino Bombe was my favorite, too!:) It was explained to me why it is no longer offered: It was created off the ship, and must have been expensive to make and offer....so sad it's gone. I enjoyed the sorbets frequently on our Statendam Alaska cruise. Our assistant steward was very good with dessert recommendations, and often created sundaes just for me.

I don't miss the dessert extravaganza, beautiful to look at, but all that chocolate kept me awake at night!:eek:

Karen