RCCL Tried to Take My Cabin!!!!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

In August of this year, I looked for availability of cabins on the Allure for August 2016. In the search criteria, I added 3 people. I wanted a suite. Surprising to me, a RFS appeared in the regular inventory search results as being available for 3 people. So, I immediately contacted my TA, who in turn, contacted RCCL. My TA was successful in making the reservation. Yay!

I had just looked at my reservation yesterday, via My Cruises, and all was well. I like to see if prices have gone down. I digress...

Today, I go to My Cruises and lo and behold, my reservation for the RFS is gone!!!! I tried searching for it with no success. I reach out to my TA, who says he will research and call me right back. I then contacted RCCL. And as you all know, when you make a reservation using a TA, RCCL cannot tell you anything about your reservation. However, the RCCL representative kept stressing to me to reach out to my TA ASAP. I didn't relay that I already did so.

My TA called me back and told me this story: RCCL's inventory department cancelled my reservation because they wanted my legitimately reserved RFS cabin back for inventory because only 3 people will be in the cabin (I'm paraphrasing but that's what it boils down to). My TA argued the fact that this cabin appeared in regular inventory and we were able to reserve it for 3 people and we contacted RCCL first before reserving it and they allowed it!

Needless to say, RCCL relented, and I still have my RFS cabin (with a new reservation number). I also now have free dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant and a free spa treatment!

Has this ever happened to anyone before - RCCL trying to jack your already reserved cabin?

Not with Royal but I took a Coastal with friends on a Princess cruise and had booked a Balcony cabin mid ship, about 4 months from sailing I checked my reservation and noticed my 86** was not 82 ** I called my TA ASAP and she had a chuckle because she had just gotten off the phone with the agent to tell them to put me back in my original cabin, NOW. She also told them I watch my bookings and would be calling her. My call to her was within 10 minutes of her telling the agent to move me back. My original cabin was restored immediately. I feel had I tried this on my own I would have been stuck with the latter cabin.

But they would have to give me a cabin equal to or greater than what I reserved. And because there are only 4 RFS cabins on the ship, and all of them are booked, it's cheaper for them to keep me at the RFS :)

Edited by douknowme

Actually, they can downgrade you and pay you the difference between what your original stateroom costs and the stateroom they downgrade you to. It's in the contract.

There's a thread over on the Azamara Board where this is happening.

Apparently they have a ship coming out of drydock and know that some staterooms won't be finished They've contacted the impacted guests, told them they can have a different stateroom, a lower category than they booked, with compensation, or they can cancel and get a refund.

The contracts we all don't read have lots of interesting information, almost all of it is slanted in favour of the Cruise Line.

So, bottom line, yes they can move any of us from the stateroom we selected. It does happen, not often and it looks like it can and does happen on all of the cruise lines.

But they would have to give me a cabin equal to or greater than what I reserved. And because there are only 4 RFS cabins on the ship, and all of them are booked, it's cheaper for them to keep me at the RFS :)
Edited by WpgCruise

For anyone in the know....

I'm a little worried about my Adventure cruise in February. I have a D1 cabin booked for one person (single supplement paid), however this cabin sleeps at least 3/4. The cruise is selling fast and the prices are sky high. I am afraid that somehow I will be booted out of my cabin?! :eek::eek: I know this is possible (pray to the cabin Gods it won't), but where else would they put me? I bought a D1? All insight/previous experience welcome....

Our TA had to verbally strong arm royal to get us CLS for 2. They were not going to give us one at first. We normally book the SLS for 2 (3 if our son joins us) which is a larger cabin. She wondered why they would not book it for the two of us. This cruise is Harmony's first full Caribbean sailing, so maybe they are trying to maximize capacity. If they didn't let us book the CL we would have booked a OS, which still holds the same maximum capacity of 4.

Now I am off to make sure they haven't swapped my cabin.

Edit: we are still in the cabin we booked.

Edited by A&L_Ont

And I am still upset about it! It was a bit different, because I had booked a corner aft cabin for 3, and right before final payment day the 3rd person cancelled. They took the cabin saying it was only available for party of 3. I called in and emailed and was very upset, but it was a family reunion for my mother's generation so could not just cancel. I had booked directly with rccl on line. Well, no resolution except to accept the cabin change! Imagine how upset I was when a week later I am on my roll call, and another poster started bragging about how she and her husband had booked my exact cabin, and what a great rate they got!!!! I was upset and called in again, as there were still other corner aft cabins available. I got nowhere. And I am a diamond member. I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda wish I could forget it. The cruise was this past February.

I'd be sure my profile was marked "Do not upgrade".

For my cruise leaving this Sat I received an email from RCL about two weeks ago joyously announcing that I had been upgraded. Unfortunately what they considered an upgrade, I did not consider an upgrade. I call C&A and they immediately went to work to get me my cabin back. Within an hour all was resolved and my cabin was restored. It seemed to help that I had my profile set to no upgrade. The rep spoke to the person who processed the upgrade and they never checked the preferences!

Basically, they wanted to move me across the hall to an OV with a connecting door for a 15 day cruise. To me having a window on deck 3 was not worth having the connecting door, losing the love seat, and moving to a smaller cabin. I'm booked in an oversized inside with almost 200 sq ft.

Edited by 138east

Actually, they can downgrade you and pay you the difference between what your original stateroom costs and the stateroom they downgrade you to. It's in the contract.

There's a thread over on the Azamara Board where this is happening.

Apparently they have a ship coming out of drydock and know that some staterooms won't be finished They've contacted the impacted guests, told them they can have a different stateroom, a lower category than they booked, with compensation, or they can cancel and get a refund.

The contracts we all don't read have lots of interesting information, almost all of it is slanted in favour of the Cruise Line.

So, bottom line, yes they can move any of us from the stateroom we selected. It does happen, not often and it looks like it can and does happen on all of the cruise lines.

I find it interesting that the reservation was "cancelled" without notice. I have read many stories of rooms being changed/upgraded/chartered, but this is the first time I have heard that a reservation was removed silently.

We were notified by email before RC cancelled my reservation due to a charter.

I hope RC was in the process of contacting the reservation holder or TA with other room options.

Another example of how important it is to get every reservation detail/change emailed to you.

Good info to know - thanks

Twice in the last two years I was able to snap up a FOV for 3 family members (two adults and toddler) on Radiance Alaska.

The first time it showed up very late at night (west coast time) as being available for less than the required minimum approx 3 mos. before our cruise. I already had them booked in a OV so put the FOV on hold and called RCI (I handle my own bookings) to make the change the next morning...no problem.

The second time...same situation...the FOV showed up at midnight one night 4 mos. before our cruise (I had been on the lookout) but never thought it would show up this early. Again put it on hold and called the next morning to make the change...I was told it had been a "glitch" but nothing they could do... the 24 hour hold was honored and so RCI made the change of cabins for us. (Thanks RCI)

Funny thing is both times...Radiance...Alaska and cabin FOV #8500 ;)

Edited by Ashland

For anyone in the know....

I'm a little worried about my Adventure cruise in February. I have a D1 cabin booked for one person (single supplement paid), however this cabin sleeps at least 3/4. The cruise is selling fast and the prices are sky high. I am afraid that somehow I will be booted out of my cabin?! :eek::eek: I know this is possible (pray to the cabin Gods it won't), but where else would they put me? I bought a D1? All insight/previous experience welcome....

I am a solo cruiser also and have booked D1's in the past and not had a problem. I have a sweet corner aft on the Adventure in 2 weeks.

Guest maddycat
I'd be sure my profile was marked "Do not upgrade".

For my cruise leaving this Sat I received an email from RCL about two weeks ago joyously announcing that I had been upgraded. Unfortunately what they considered an upgrade, I did not consider an upgrade. I call C&A and they immediately went to work to get me my cabin back. Within an hour all was resolved and my cabin was restored. It seemed to help that I had my profile set to no upgrade. The rep spoke to the person who processed the upgrade and they never checked the preferences!

Basically, they wanted to move me across the hall to an OV with a connecting door for a 15 day cruise. To me having a window on deck 3 was not worth having the connecting door, losing the love seat, and moving to a smaller cabin. I'm booked in an oversized inside with almost 200 sq ft.

Thanks for the advice. I just signed in on RCI's website and changed my preferences to "no upgrade". We always book our cruises between 1 and 2 years in advance and choose the cabin that we will be happy with. I'd rather not take the chance that RCI will upgrade us to a cabin that we will not be happy with.

I find it interesting that the reservation was "cancelled" without notice. I have read many stories of rooms being changed/upgraded/chartered, but this is the first time I have heard that a reservation was removed silently.

We were notified by email before RC cancelled my reservation due to a charter.

I hope RC was in the process of contacting the reservation holder or TA with other room options.

Another example of how important it is to get every reservation detail/change emailed to you.

Good info to know - thanks

Yep, it happened - no email, call, etc. Neither did my TA receive an email or call. Good thing I'm one who watches my reservations like a hawk; otherwise who knows what the outcome would've been. Also, I ALWAYS get every reservation/detail emailed to me, and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this with a cruise line - Carnival, RCCL, Disney or Norwegian. So, it was a little disconcerting to say the least.

Edited by douknowme

And I am still upset about it! It was a bit different, because I had booked a corner aft cabin for 3, and right before final payment day the 3rd person cancelled. They took the cabin saying it was only available for party of 3. I called in and emailed and was very upset, but it was a family reunion for my mother's generation so could not just cancel. I had booked directly with rccl on line. Well, no resolution except to accept the cabin change! Imagine how upset I was when a week later I am on my roll call, and another poster started bragging about how she and her husband had booked my exact cabin, and what a great rate they got!!!! I was upset and called in again, as there were still other corner aft cabins available. I got nowhere. And I am a diamond member. I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda wish I could forget it. The cruise was this past February.

Last November on the Oasis they took me out of my cabin which was the last one on the boardwalk facing the aquatheater and put me in another cabin at the other end of the boardwalk because they were adding the aquatheater suites.

I went through all kinds of nonsense and my TA quit lol. They insisted they would not have construction done in time for our cruise and had to move us. About 2 weeks before our cruise i saw that they were booking people in the aquatheater suites for our cruise which meant construction was done.

I called and argued with them but they would not give me the cabin back still insisting that it was out of inventory. I wound up 1 deck higher and 3rd from the end.

On the night of the aquatheater show i looked down and sure enough there was somebody on the balcony of my old cabin filming the show.

Bill

Twice in the last two years I was able to snap up a FOV for 3 family members (two adults and toddler) on Radiance Alaska.

The first time it showed up very late at night (west coast time) as being available for less than the required minimum approx 3 mos. before our cruise. I already had them booked in a OV so put the FOV on hold and called RCI (I handle my own bookings) to make the change the next morning...no problem.

The second time...same situation...the FOV showed up at midnight one night 4 mos. before our cruise (I had been on the lookout) but never thought it would show up this early. Again put it on hold and called the next morning to make the change...I was told it had been a "glitch" but nothing they could do... the 24 hour hold was honored and so RCI made the change of cabins for us. (Thanks RCI)

Funny thing is both times...Radiance...Alaska and cabin FOV #8500 ;)

What is a FOV?