Self Service laundry on Eclipse

drafterdw

All I can say is the last place I would clean any very nice clothing is in an industrial grade washer and dryer like they have in public laundry rooms.

Ma Bell - but that is the point - at self serve a person can select to wash in cold water and then not put their things in a dryer or select low heat. My point in all this is that no matter what I specify on the laundry instruction sheet - they wash it all in hot water and dry on high heat. I'm not judging anyone but this doesn't work for some of us.

Ma Bell - but that is the point - at self serve a person can select to wash in cold water and then not put their things in a dryer or select low heat. My point in all this is that no matter what I specify on the laundry instruction sheet - they wash it all in hot water and dry on high heat. I'm not judging anyone but this doesn't work for some of us.

As I recall, the machines that they use in those public laundry rooms don't have a lot of selections. They use basic machines because they don't break down easily. I wouldn't ever let really "good" clothing be laundered by the ship or in a self serve laundry on board. Anything good goes to the dry cleaners; the prices are only a dollar more to dry clean. The laundry is for men's undies and t shirts and very casual clothing. Personally, I just bring enough that I don't have to worry about it.

I have to say, this thread made me laugh more than once.

Guess they demand a self service laundry and Celebrity won't provide one for them.

If they had self self service laundry, maybe the demand for quacks, I mean chiropractors, would go up, with all the extra lifting and carrying requiring extra adjustments? Let the Docs cruise for free, and they can sleep in a fold down bunk in said launderette. They could charge for the adjustmets in the spa, take more than their fair share of the promised commission to the doc, and supplement the lost revenue for replacing the cabins with launderette.

I for one don't see doing laundry on vacation ever, and am happy to:

1. Pay extra for baggage and bring a steamer trunk or two worth of clothes and shoes, heck, I don't have to move it, that's what the porters are for.

2. Send it out and risk having it return ruined, it's like going to he MDR and sitting in a different table in select dining every night or choosing a guarantee for a cabin. You might win, you might lose, how lucky do you feel? Have you been naughty or nice?

3. Wear each item of clothing 4 times (inside out, forward, backward) until it simply walks away, and jumps off the balcony :rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

If they have not done it over the last 25 years, why would they change the design now. Perhaps the next time the poles reverse or the next ice age returns, they might change their mind.. ;)

I agree completely. What people really want is Movies Under The Stars. They've not done that in 25 years. :D

I agree completely. What people really want is Movies Under The Stars. They've not done that in 25 years. :D

And water slides. Again, not done in 25 years, so it's about time. After all, the people who don't want to use the slides don't have to. ;)

I wouldn't ever let really "good" clothing be laundered by the ship or in a self serve laundry on board. Anything good goes to the dry cleaners; the prices are only a dollar more to dry clean. The laundry is for men's undies and t shirts and very casual clothing. Personally, I just bring enough that I don't have to worry about it.

Had to smile at this as it's exactly what we do: use the Elite coupons for DH's and the kids undies and their (not best) t shirts. Never send my own clothing (not because it's mega expensive - would prefer going on another cruise rather than spending $$$$$ on a skirt - more about wanting my clothes to last longer than one cruise ;)). Also use the dry cleaning option for suits etc.

To the OP, no self-service laundry (as you've probably guessed by now :D), just bring enough clothes to last for your total vacation ;).

....was there a self laundry on Eclipse!

I hadn't read any responses until now when I saw the item was up to page 3 and curiosity got the better of me!

So my views on ship laundry hmmm. No fixed feelings really, use my coupons for the undies, do a bit of drip drying if necessary...just can't get emotional about it.

Too many nice things on a cruise to worry about dirty clothes.

The outdoor movies they are adding on a couple of Celebrity ships seem totally unnecessary to me but at least they are not in a central location like Movies Under The Stars which I always found annoying on Princess so they probably won't bother anyone. Self Serve Laundries on Princess were a nice to have on voyages over seven days. None had to use them, just a nice amenity. It would be nice to have them on Celebrity too but they are not going to add them. Since they don't have them it would be nice if they fix the laundry services so they are more gentle.

Edited by Charles4515

Maybe install soapy waterslides? Kill two birds with one stone.

Great idea!

You could have two slides, one that ends in a hottub for white and one that ends in a cold pool for colors?

Add a fan like the car wash on exit and it would be perfect.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Great idea!

You could have two slides, one that ends in a hottub for white and one that ends in a cold pool for colors?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

OH MY GOD!!! Someone is bound to call you on this one... :rolleyes: :D:D

Intolerance-255x192.jpeg

OH MY GOD!!! Someone is bound to call you on this one... :rolleyes: :D:D

Intolerance-255x192.jpeg

:eek:

OMG, I meant LAUNDRY, but you know that :rolleyes:

If I could, I would edit the post, but I can't. I guess another example where context means EVERYTHING.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Slacks, pants with seams come back shinier after pressing.

On long back to back cruises my pants not only come back with "railroad tracks" but with the entire switching yard.

For some reason they just do not seem to be able to put the seam in the same place every time.

Even though we have free laundry and dry cleaning, we no longer take advantage of the perk very often.

My DH requests his trousers to be NO crease to eliminate the tracks. Since he's gone this they gone out perfect

We used the laundry special of a stuff a bag for a certain price for white socks, underwear and T-shirts. My husband did send out 2 dress shirts to be ironed and they were fine. Otherwise, we re wear pants for dinner multiple times, can use shorts for a few days each and can usually wear tops, polos, and T-shirts for more than one day. We also take enough clothes for the duration of the trip, even if it means paying baggage fees. I do hand wash bathing suits in the sink, but I would never send them out to laundry as it would ruin the fabric.

In my opinion, it is my vacation and the last thing I want to do is the same old thing I do at home - laundry, cooking and cleaning. I would not want to spend a few hours in the laundry room of the ship doing laundry.

Mary Anne

This is the one area where Celebrity really, really lets us down. The laundry service onboard the ship has ruined my clothes on more than 1 occasion so now all I can send out is DH's socks, underwear, cotton tee's and shorts. Nothing of mine goes or it comes back discolored and shrunken beyond wearing - asking in writing for a low heat setting does no good. :( It is cheaper for me to over pack even when having to fly then it is to have to replaced clothes. The dry cleaning service does do a nice job.

This has been my experience on another line as well which has no self-service laundries. DH's things seem to do okay but I can only send socks and cotton tees. Fabric finishes do not do well. I imagine it has something to do with water temperature that might be required for mass laundry. We went on a 35 day cruise this summer with HAL on one of the older ships. The self-service was a lifesaver. I've spent much time and effort washing clothes on longer itineraries on X, RCCL, and NCL where there are no self service laundries. This will be a consideration when booking longer itineraries in the future. I understand why lines (including HAL) are not putting them on new ships. They are trouble to maintain and more money is made by using the space for additional cabins.

Wow! With all the back and forth about laundry, I have decided to just not get dirty on my next cruise. :D

Edited by Texed
I spell like Ole McDonald

Yes,there is no self laundry on Celebrity ships.Any washing, do a sink wash and hang on a clothes line in the shower room.Not very good though.The laundry service is hit and miss and expensive.The OH had a nice blouse ruined last year ,we complaioned and the Guest relations added some $ to our OBC.