Self Service laundry on Eclipse

drafterdw

Does anyone know if they have a self service washer/dryer area? We had been told any ship that does over 10 days has one but were on the Equinox last year and it did not. We are on the Eclipse next Feb. for 14 days....wondering how to pack.

Sorry -- don't know who told you that, but it's not correct. Both RC and X have itineraries of two weeks or more -- and no ship on either line has a self-service laundry.

This is the one area where Celebrity really, really lets us down. The laundry service onboard the ship has ruined my clothes on more than 1 occasion so now all I can send out is DH's socks, underwear, cotton tee's and shorts. Nothing of mine goes or it comes back discolored and shrunken beyond wearing - asking in writing for a low heat setting does no good. :( It is cheaper for me to over pack even when having to fly then it is to have to replaced clothes. The dry cleaning service does do a nice job.

Edited by Jane2357

In all the years X has done our laundry they've only ruined 2 items and never lost anything.

We were fully reimbursed for the cloths that we discarded...one of which was my formal shirt during dry cleaning and they loaned me a formal while still on board.

We always send out clothing to be laundered or dry cleaned. We have never had an item gone missing or damaged in any way. Perhaps it is because we never bring easily damaged items on a vacation. Not sure why people would, seeing as they will be handled much more than at home. We keep delicate items for use at home where we have much more control over them.

It's all about planning ahead to bring sturdier clothing for travel. Bring delicate clothing and you have only yourself to blame if they get damaged.

Slacks, pants with seams come back shinier after pressing.

On long back to back cruises my pants not only come back with "railroad tracks" but with the entire switching yard.

For some reason they just do not seem to be able to put the seam in the same place every time.

Even though we have free laundry and dry cleaning, we no longer take advantage of the perk very often.

I really think Celebrity should think to add self serve launderettes I am sure the usual laundry service would still be used, but also the self serve washing machines would be bringing in the cash too. It wouldn't take up too much space but surely would pay it's way. I hate worrying about how much to take for 14 nights, especially when there will be differences in climate too.

I really think Celebrity should think to add self serve launderettes

If they have not done it over the last 25 years, why would they change the design now. Perhaps the next time the poles reverse or the next ice age returns, they might change their mind.. ;)

I really think Celebrity should think to add self serve launderettes I am sure the usual laundry service would still be used, but also the self serve washing machines would be bringing in the cash too. It wouldn't take up too much space but surely would pay it's way. I hate worrying about how much to take for 14 nights, especially when there will be differences in climate too.

Let's see. An inside stateroom will bring in an average of about $600 double occupancy for a 7 night cruise. And then add all the revenue from all the extras that those two occupants will purchase while on the ship - excursions, drinks, gifts, specialty restaurants, etc. It would take almost 250 people doing one load each at $4 per load to equal the lost revenue from just one stateroom. Multiply that by seven decks, losing one stateroom per deck for just one laundry room for the entire deck, and now you would need 1,750 people doing their laundry once each to equal the lost revenue of those 7 staterooms. That's almost everybody on the ship!

I just don't see how they would make money by eliminating a stateroom to install a self service laundry room.

We send out jeans and dress shirts to be washed and pressed, and we send out all the socks, under-clothes, etc. Some t-shirts we send out, some we won't because of the printing. We have a few things that are simple to hand-wash and hang in the shower. We've not had any issues with what we've sent out up to this point.

We always send out clothing to be laundered or dry cleaned. We have never had an item gone missing or damaged in any way. Perhaps it is because we never bring easily damaged items on a vacation. Not sure why people would, seeing as they will be handled much more than at home. We keep delicate items for use at home where we have much more control over them.

It's all about planning ahead to bring sturdier clothing for travel. Bring delicate clothing and you have only yourself to blame if they get damaged.

LOL "sturdier clothing" - you must be a guy! I'm not talking about dainties here but then there was the time when the Butler - thinking to surprise us, sent out all of our dirty clothes as a treat - no cost. :cool: Except that he took every bra in a storage cube that I had brought with me and yes they were RUINED beyond wearing. :eek: Did I report that - no, because I just couldn't break his heart, he thought he did us a big favor. So I sucked the cost of that ooops up.

However even my "sturdier" every day clothing never see a dryer unless on a very light setting - or they shrink. I'll admit that I shop as some nicer stores so my clothes probably cost more than some peoples cruise. My jeans get dry cleaned. All I'm saying it it wouldn't hurt for X to have a laundry room where those of us that care about their clothing could wash it ourselves. And no I'm not holding my breath for it to come about but I'm pretty sick of those that are so judgmental. If there was a laundry - nobody would force you to use it.

Edited by Jane2357

LOL "sturdier clothing" - you must be a guy! I'm not talking about dainties here but then there was the time when the Butler - thinking to surprise us, sent out all of our dirty clothes as a treat - no cost. :cool: Except that he took every bra in a storage cube that I had brought with me and yes they were RUINED beyond wearing. :eek: Did I report that - no, because I just couldn't break his heart, he thought he did us a big favor. So I sucked the cost of that ooops up.

However even my "sturdier" every day clothing never see a dryer unless on a very light setting - or they shrink. I'll admit that I shop as some nicer stores so my clothes probably cost more than some peoples cruise. My jeans get dry cleaned. All I'm saying it it wouldn't hurt for X to have a laundry room where those of us that care about their clothing could wash it ourselves. And no I'm not holding my breath for it to come about but I'm pretty sick of those that are so judgmental. If there was a laundry - nobody would force you to use it.

You and my wife have very different stories to tell. She has never had a problem with any laundry or dry cleaning on a cruise. Are you saying that she dresses like a lumberjack? :D

Interesting that so many people here have reported no problems. I guess that we all dress like slobs in coarse, rough clothing. It seems that a few have all kinds of problems with virtually everything they send out, and the rest of us have no problems at all.

I'm not being judgmental, you know. You are doing a good job of that all by yourself with your "I'm pretty sick of those that are so judgmental" comment. ;)

And many of us are saying that if you don't like the lack of self service laundry on Celebrity, you are empowered to solve the problem yourself - don't cruise on Celebrity if you find it so lacking in the facilities that are so absolutely important to you. :p

Oh, and that's an interesting move bragging that your clothes "probably cost more than some peoples cruise". I hope boasting like that makes up for your recurring complaints of not having self service laundry available. :)

Edited by sloopsailor

I can never understand why some people chose a cruise line that has no self service laundry and then complain incessantly about not having it. That is about as ridiculous as choosing to dine at a nice French restaurant and complaining that they don't serve Italian food. If you want Italian food, go to an Italian restaurant! If you want self service laundry, go to a cruise line that has self service laundry! Wishing, wanting, complaining, grousing, bitching, whining - all because someone can't make proper choices.

Some people are never happy. They thrive on finding something to complain about, no matter how good they have it. Quite laughable, actually. It's about as dumb as me coming on here and complaining that Celebrity should have surf riders and water slides because that's what I like. "Why don't they install them?" and "If you don't like them, you don't have to use them if you don't want to".

In other words, the 'all about ME ME ME' approach to life! :rolleyes:

BTW: I dress pretty nice - at least according to my lovely husband. And I have never had a single item lost or damaged when sent out for cleaning. But, I don't bring items that are so fragile that they can be easily damaged. That is not very smart to do when traveling on vacation.

Edited by PTMary

Let's see. An inside stateroom will bring in an average of about $600 double occupancy for a 7 night cruise. And then add all the revenue from all the extras that those two occupants will purchase while on the ship - excursions, drinks, gifts, specialty restaurants, etc. It would take almost 250 people doing one load each at $4 per load to equal the lost revenue from just one stateroom. Multiply that by seven decks, losing one stateroom per deck for just one laundry room for the entire deck, and now you would need 1,750 people doing their laundry once each to equal the lost revenue of those 7 staterooms. That's almost everybody on the ship!

I just don't see how they would make money by eliminating a stateroom to install a self service laundry room.

My guess is that they would need at least 2 self service laundries on each deck to handle the expected heavy use. That means at least 14 cabins would be taken out of service. They would need to be selected in a way that they would line up with each other for the new plumbing lines. Of course they would need to add at least one washer and dryer to each laundry, although the heavy demand might require more in each laundry. Naturally the area would require maintenance and equipment would need to be replaced from time to time. Yes, this could be done at little cost to Celebrity and the quarters from patrons would more than cover it. I think that those who advocate self service laundries should request the cabins nearest to the laundromat so that they could have easy access. I've had one of those cabins on Princess and I'm sure they would enjoy the location as much as I did.

My guess is that they would need at least 2 self service laundries on each deck to handle the expected heavy use. That means at least 14 cabins would be taken out of service. They would need to be selected in a way that they would line up with each other for the new plumbing lines. Of course they would need to add at least one washer and dryer to each laundry, although the heavy demand might require more in each laundry. Naturally the area would require maintenance and equipment would need to be replaced from time to time. Yes, this could be done at little cost to Celebrity and the quarters from patrons would more than cover it. I think that those who advocate self service laundries should request the cabins nearest to the laundromat so that they could have easy access. I've had one of those cabins on Princess and I'm sure they would enjoy the location as much as I did.

And nowhere in your post do you address the loss of revenue from all those eliminated double occupancy cabins and their occupants. Sure, the quarters might cover the cost of acquiring and maintaining the equipment, but the loss of cabin revenue would be much, much more than that. Seems like an easy decision to me - "We have been getting by without offering these facilities for 25 years and we are doing quite well profit wise. There is no logical reason to start now."

Edited by SantaFeFan

Slacks, pants with seams come back shinier after pressing.

On long back to back cruises my pants not only come back with "railroad tracks" but with the entire switching yard.

For some reason they just do not seem to be able to put the seam in the same place every time.

Even though we have free laundry and dry cleaning, we no longer take advantage of the perk very often.

I have had the same experiences. I won't send out for pressing or dry clean. And they have ruined a couple of shirts in their laundry. I think they dump everything together and run it very hot. I will now only send out underwear and t-shirts.

And nowhere in your post do you address the loss of revenue from all those eliminated double occupancy cabins and their occupants. Sure, the quarters might cover the cost of acquiring and maintaining the equipment, but the loss of cabin revenue would be much, much more than that. Seems like an easy decision to me - "We have been getting by without offering these facilities for 25 years and we are doing quite well profit wise. There is no logical reason to start now."

I was agreeing with you. You did a fine job in discussing the loss of revenue so I felt no need to repeat it.

Edited by Orator