Silk Harvest vs Qsine

ScarlettMLB

I was looking through Celebrity's website and saw that Qsine is on 6 of the ships (Eclipse, Infinity, Silhouette, Summit, Millennium, Reflection), whereas on 2 (Equinox and Solstice), Qsine is replaced by Silk Harvest.

This seems odd that Silk Harvest is just on 2 of the ships - why not just replace Qsine on all of them? I don't hear much buzz on Silk Harvest - I don't think I really have ever heard people here rave about it like I hear Murano or Tuscan Grille.

I've eaten at both and greatly prefer Qsine to Silk Harvest. I say that with Thai and pretty much any Asian food being my favorite food (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc) - I could eat Asian 7 nights a week and be happy. And while Silk Harvest was perfectly good, it really wasn't any better and I couldn't get anything different than the local Asian restaurants that I order delivery from on a regular basis at home - for about the same price as just the surcharge to Silk Harvest. So it's not something that is worth a surcharge when they're plenty of other "free" food elsewhere on the ship. Qsine, on the other hand, is inventive and definitely not something that I could experience regularly.

I know there are people who aren't fans of Qsine and I know that tastes are highly subjective. I'm just surprised that Celebrity would keep it on 2 ships. Any ideas why? Do you think they'll eventually phase Silk Harvest out?

This seems odd that Silk Harvest is just on 2 of the ships - why not just replace Qsine on all of them? I don't hear much buzz on Silk Harvest - I don't think I really have ever heard people here rave about it like I hear Murano or Tuscan Grille.?

Actually, Silk Harvest is on the first two "S" class ships, and Qsine was put on the last three. We enjoy Qsine and Silk Harvest. :)

As in recent years we have cruised almost exclusively Celebrity I do like the fact that there is some variety between ships, M and S and dining venues.

We have really enjoyed our last dining experiences in Silk and Q'sine, leaving the restaurants very contented by good service and presentation.

When we go to Murano's or Tuscan we are looking for a fine dining experience, in a pleasant, sophisticated (modern luxury?) way. When we dine at Silk or Q'Sine we are looking for a relaxed dining experience, maybe a slightly louder venue with more family/friendship groups.

Do I prefer M and TG? Yes, for food but I would really miss Silk. Q'Sine, I enjoy the novelty, I would visit again for that variety of dining experience, but I do find the iPad nonsense now rather dated! I would not like to see Silk replaced by Q'Sine.

Now for novelty, what I would really like to see is a restaurant that was Asian inspired but had specific theme nights...Each night of the cruise having a small but specific menu...Thai, Indian, Japanese....

One of the major problems with Asian restaurants land and sea is that they do try to provide too wide a choice to appeal to more people and you end up with a miss mash of flavours.

So....leave an Asian inspired venue on Equinox and Solstice, please!

We had a group of 12 from our roll call last Nov on the Equinox that went to Silk together, it was absolutely wonderful! As we looked over the menu the staff finally said, give them back, we will handle it. WOW, the dishes kept flowing all evening. The wine Stewart poured different wines all evening too.

One of the best dinners we have had in 25 years of cruises.

We have 24 from this years roll call going to the group dinner. Don't know how they will top last yr, but we will let em try.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

We've only ever tried Silk Harvest once - on Equinox. We really liked it and wondered why it wasn't on more ships. On the other hand we really like Qsine and, despite the gimmicks, at least it offers something different to the same old 'Italian' restaurant which every ship seems to offer.

Controversial I know - and I'm ducking the flames - but I would prefer Silk Harvest AND Qsine to Tuscan Grille on any ship.. ;)

We've only ever tried Silk Harvest once - on Equinox. We really liked it and wondered why it wasn't on more ships. On the other hand we really like Qsine and, despite the gimmicks, at least it offers something different to the same old 'Italian' restaurant which every ship seems to offer.

Controversial I know - and I'm ducking the flames - but I would prefer Silk Harvest AND Qsine to Tuscan Grille on any ship.. ;)

I whole heartedly agree!

Silk harvest is the only specialty restaurant on celebrity that we really dislike.....it serves "Americanized" Asian food, the sushi rolls are made in advance so the nori is soggy....we just got up and walked out after their sushi appetizer one night. We've also tried a full meal and it's just not up to our local take out places.

We do enjoy Qsine...creative food and fun evening. It is getting old though...time to refresh the dishes and serving dishes.

Edited by ghstudio

Silk harvest is the only specialty restaurant on celebrity that we really dislike.....it serves "Americanized" Asian food, the sushi rolls are made in advance so the nori is soggy....we just got up and walked out after their sushi appetizer one night. We've also tried a full meal and it's just not up to our local take out places.

We do enjoy Qsine...creative food and fun evening. It is getting old though...time to refresh the dishes and serving dishes.

Although we didn't dislike Silk Harvest, this sums up a lot of what we felt about our disappointment in it. It was very Americanized and the dishes were basically a "best of" the Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc restaurants that are on every few blocks on land. There was nothing innovative and no fresh takes. The sushi rolls were run of the mill and not clever. In short, nothing that would make us justify paying a surcharge for the food. If I'm going to pay for food with all the "free" options on board, I want something that's a little special - or at least that I couldn't pick up the phone on land and have delivered within 45 minutes and for less than the specialty restaurant surcharge.

I could understand that the novelty of Qsine would wear off for frequent cruisers and they should try to vary the menu from time to time. But I think I read on a post elsewhere on this board, something like 40% of cruises are 1st time Celebrity cruisers. So for them I'd think that a "unique" experience like Qsine would be more of a draw than Silk Harvest, which pretty much rehashes every Asian restaurant on land, ever.

I'm curious if the people who really like Silk Harvest eat much at Thai, Japanese, etc on land. Maybe I'm just jaded because how frequently we dine at a variety of good quality Asian restaurants on land that Silk Harvest really wasn't that impressive.

Although we didn't dislike Silk Harvest, this sums up a lot of what we felt about our disappointment in it. It was very Americanized and the dishes were basically a "best of" the Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc restaurants that are on every few blocks on land. There was nothing innovative and no fresh takes. The sushi rolls were run of the mill and not clever. In short, nothing that would make us justify paying a surcharge for the food. If I'm going to pay for food with all the "free" options on board, I want something that's a little special - or at least that I couldn't pick up the phone on land and have delivered within 45 minutes and for less than the specialty restaurant surcharge.

I could understand that the novelty of Qsine would wear off for frequent cruisers and they should try to vary the menu from time to time. But I think I read on a post elsewhere on this board, something like 40% of cruises are 1st time Celebrity cruisers. So for them I'd think that a "unique" experience like Qsine would be more of a draw than Silk Harvest, which pretty much rehashes every Asian restaurant on land, ever.

I'm curious if the people who really like Silk Harvest eat much at Thai, Japanese, etc on land. Maybe I'm just jaded because how frequently we dine at a variety of good quality Asian restaurants on land that Silk Harvest really wasn't that impressive.

That pretty well sums it up. Silk Harvest is at most just OK for anyone who has dined regularly in up-to-date Asian restaurants on land and is familiar with the cuisines in their modern forms. Chinese, Thai, Japanese etc. are very different cuisines -- a single kitchen on land could not be expected to do such a diversity well, and the constraints of a cruise ship only compound the difficulty. That said, it's Ok for what it is -- best thing is to enjoy it and not expect too much.

We live in San Francisco, which has probably the best Asian food in North America, and we really enjoy Silk Harvest. Yes, it's "Americanized", but I can't really see them trying to sell authentic Asian cuisine to Middle America. I think it's a lovely venue, with great service and the food is good for what it is. We are over Qsine....it's gotten very old and gimmicky, as some others have said. We only cruise twice a year, but need to see a totally revamped menu in there to dine again. But now that Luminae has been introduced, most of these restaurants are irrelevant, since we don't want to go anywhere else :D

I always love these topics, because everyone has a million different opinions.

Michael

We live in San Francisco, which has probably the best Asian food in North America, and we really enjoy Silk Harvest. Yes, it's "Americanized", but I can't really see them trying to sell authentic Asian cuisine to Middle America. I think it's a lovely venue, with great service and the food is good for what it is. We are over Qsine....it's gotten very old and gimmicky, as some others have said. We only cruise twice a year, but need to see a totally revamped menu in there to dine again. But now that Luminae has been introduced, most of these restaurants are irrelevant, since we don't want to go anywhere else :D

I always love these topics, because everyone has a million different opinions.

Michael

I agree. The average cruiser from the U.S. relates to PF Changs, Olive Garden and Chipotle as international cuisine.

Thats funny, we feel the same way about Mexican quisine here in San Antonio TX. There are as many styles of Tex-Mex as there are Chinese styles. But I wouldn't give you 2 cents to eat the Mexican stuff they serve in California! Been there done that:eek:

I am so looking forward to trying Silk and I hope my fellow Texican is correct in his review! We have what I call good sushi and Chinese, Thai and Japanese food since we cater to 3 different bases/posts of military who have had the "real deal" around the world. So hope Silk can offer something yummy!

Qsine....once was enough.....

Thats funny, we feel the same way about Mexican quisine here in San Antonio TX. There are as many styles of Tex-Mex as there are Chinese styles. But I wouldn't give you 2 cents to eat the Mexican stuff they serve in California! Been there done that:eek:

I am so looking forward to trying Silk and I hope my fellow Texican is correct in his review! We have what I call good sushi and Chinese, Thai and Japanese food since we cater to 3 different bases/posts of military who have had the "real deal" around the world. So hope Silk can offer something yummy!

Qsine....once was enough.....

Sit back and let the staff make the choices.

Every year we come your way and run the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon, our post race brunch is at http://rosariossa.com/homepage.php. now.

Mi Terria's has slid a bit, but we still try and get there! http://www.mitierracafe.com/about_history.html

EW

We had a group of 12 from our roll call last Nov on the Equinox that went to Silk together, it was absolutely wonderful! As we looked over the menu the staff finally said, give them back, we will handle it. WOW, the dishes kept flowing all evening. The wine Stewart poured different wines all evening too.

We have 24 from this years roll call going to the group dinner. Don't know how they will top last yr, but we will let em try.

EW

We were 2 of the 12 for that dinner and we liked Silk so much we went 3 more times that cruise! While Wallie is back on the Equinox we are on the Silhouette and will be back at Qsine, it's ok and hubby enjoys it. Have a great dinner EW, we will be thinking of ya all!

We were 2 of the 12 for that dinner and we liked Silk so much we went 3 more times that cruise! While Wallie is back on the Equinox we are on the Silhouette and will be back at Qsine, it's ok and hubby enjoys it. Have a great dinner EW, we will be thinking of ya all!

After 2 cruises together, we sure are going to miss not sailing with you and Alan this year Bev! We will tip a Choclate Martini in your honor at sail away.

Oh, tell Alan I will not be chomping on a chunk of Wasabi this yr! ;)

EW

Edited by wallie5446

Although QSine is fun and I enjoyed it the first couple of times it became gimmicky to me and I prefe Silk Harvest. The food, especially the starters I really enjoy. You could put Silk Harvest on all the ships and I'd be happy.

Phil

I prefer SH too. If i am alone much easier to get sushi or a small hot. what does one or 2 people do in QSine. i prefer Asian also.i wish Asian had landed on my other favorite line.

• 5 months later...

EW

How did you set up your group dinners in SH? Will be on Equinox this fall on a TA and would like to arrange one. Thx!

Silk Harvest is my favorite ... but then again, as others have said, I don't get a lot of chances to get Thai food when I am at home. My DH just doesn't really like it so I am so happy when I get it on a cruise. Anyhow, I like it so much better than Tuscan Grill or QSine. Murano is tied, though but a completely different dining experience than Silk Harvest.

I think it is priced at $35 pp and oftentimes you can find a discount -- well worth it for me.