Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

I booked months ago because my trip spent three days in Israel

I have just been informed 12 hours before I leave that it is going to some boring stops in Greece instead

Nothing I can do of course, but I would never have booked this trip if I had known

So Sorry to hear that your vacation will not be what you expected.

But I think you are placing the blame incorrectly. Celebrity is not in charge of the political/safety environment in Israel all they can do is react and make decisions that they beleive to be in the best interest of all passengers and crew.

These kinds of decisions are never made lightly and given the recent knife attacks and subsequent increased security I beleive they made the right decision. Enjoy Greece, make the best of things and don't let this change ruin what I am sure will be an excellent trip!

The recently escalating and violent conflicts between the Palestinians and the Israelis caused the port realignment... There was another report this morning...

I loved Israel--and hope to someday return--but, in my opinion, this is clearly not the time for a visit from a safety perspective...

I'm sure you are disappointed but this is a case in which Celebrity ought be applauded--and not criticized--for the itinerary revision... I am certain that they did not make the decision without careful consideration and acted in the interest of the safety and well-being of their guests, their crew, and the ship itself...

With those thoughts in mind, enjoy your cruise...

So Sorry to hear that your vacation will not be what you expected.

But I think you are placing the blame incorrectly. Celebrity is not in charge of the political/safety environment in Israel all they can do is react and make decisions that they beleive to be in the best interest of all passengers and crew.

These kinds of decisions are never made lightly and given the recent knife attacks and subsequent increased security I beleive they made the right decision. Enjoy Greece, make the best of things and don't let this change ruin what I am sure will be an excellent trip!

I am not blaming Celebrity for cancelling the Israel stops, although I have been assured by two Israeli tour guides that there is nothing to worry about if the correct precautions are taken

My problem is that no imagination has gone into the replacement stops

We would have been looking at five hot and sunny days, this has been replaced by high teens low twenties places that most people who have cruised in that region have visited several times

So, a cold cruise rather than a hot one to places that are always much cheaper than this cruise to visit on any number of ships and cruise lines

How do I bail out from this cruise, Israel was the highlight of this itinerary? any advice please.

I would like to bail out as well, but we have no protection

If they change the itinerary to the usual med places they should change the price accordingly

They could advertise a cruise to Saturn from a squillion dollars and then change it to Calais :confused:

The recently escalating and violent conflicts between the Palestinians and the Israelis caused the port realignment... There was another report this morning...

I loved Israel--and hope to someday return--but, in my opinion, this is clearly not the time for a visit from a safety perspective...

I'm sure you are disappointed but this is a case in which Celebrity ought be applauded--and not criticized--for the itinerary revision... I am certain that they did not make the decision without careful consideration and acted in the interest of the safety and well-being of their guests, their crew, and the ship itself...

With those thoughts in mind, enjoy your cruise...

I don't think I will be applauding Celebrity, but I do understand why they cancelled Israel - I do not know why they could not have come up with better replacement stops though

Spoke to someone yesterday who returned two days ago from a land based visit to the area.,. he is former US armed forces and current law enforcenent...he said it was not a safe place to be... and was happy to be home.

Saw on the news today that Joseph' s tomb was firebombed...

Disappointing for sure to not get to Israel but common knowledge certain ports could be scratched for safety...same with Istanbul overnights.,.

Enjoy Greece....seems calm there right now!

I booked months ago because my trip spent three days in Israel

I have just been informed 12 hours before I leave that it is going to some boring stops in Greece instead

Nothing I can do of course, but I would never have booked this trip if I had known

Are you serious! The title of your post is total out of context!!! By doing this, Celebrity is protecting your life! If you're watching the news you should know that this is not a good place to go right now. And Cruise lines can't predict what will happen in the world.

This staff been going on for two weeks, if the notice been posted that the chance of cancellation is real, we would have made other arrangement, like flying directly to Israel and joining the cruise later at a " safe" port.

How do I bail out from this cruise, Israel was the highlight of this itinerary? any advice please.

By the contract (on any cruise line) you are not guaranteed any ports at all, let alone specific ports, just room (cabin) and board on a ship.

Compman9 -- I'm so sorry that this has happened to you (and your fellow cruisers). :(

But, from your signature, I can see that you are an experienced cruiser and world traveler. So, surely by now you know that cruise ports can change on a dime, due to a number of things: weather, political strife, mechanical problems -- you name it. And, given the time line, I'm sure that X was scrambling to find whatever last-minute ports they could. At least you won't be out there, sailing around in circles -- on endless sea days. :eek:

I really hope that you can look at this as an adventure (rather than a colossal disappointment) and find a way to enjoy your cruise. :cool:

Compman9 -- I'm so sorry that this has happened to you (and your fellow cruisers). :(

But, from your signature, I can see that you are an experienced cruiser and world traveler. So, surely by now you know that cruise ports can change on a dime, due to a number of things: weather, political strife, mechanical problems -- you name it. And, given the time line, I'm sure that X was scrambling to find whatever last-minute ports they could. At least you won't be out there, sailing around in circles -- on endless sea days. :eek:

I really hope that you can look at this as an adventure (rather than a colossal disappointment) and find a way to enjoy your cruise. :cool:

Awww! {{virtual hugs}} You are always so kind and make so much sense. I agree with everything you said.

I don't think I will be applauding Celebrity, but I do understand why they cancelled Israel - I do not know why they could not have come up with better replacement stops though

Celebrity cannot just wave some magic wand and make new ports available. Replacement ports have to a) be reachable within a certain number of hours' sailing from the last scheduled port, b) have suitable dock space for the size of the ship, and c) have space available that is not already promised to another ship.

I started cruising as a child and if there is one thing I learned quite early on it's that one should never book a cruise if the overwhelming reason for doing so is to visit one particular port or country. Better to take a land trip.

Edited by cruisemom42

Speaking to the ports they are replacing Israel with, how is Celebrity to determine which ports their guest may prefer? What may be "boring" ports to one person may be "exciting and exotic" to another. Additionally, they have to go with ports that they can reach during the scheduled cruise and that have docking space available.

You use your Cancel for Any reason insurance, unless you opted not to pay and "self insure" instead, then you cover the loss yourself from your personal savings.

Crusie contracts are very clear that they can modify itineraries for any reason with no compensation. They have a duty to do no more than get you from point A Embarkation to Point B Disembarkation.

It's a nuance to cruising that doesn't apply in other travel industries that many people choose not to think about when making bookings until it happens to them.

I am also on this cruise, and I think all of you who are not on the cruise really don't have any place to comment. Many of us booked the cruise ONLY because of the ports in Israel. I have been to every other port multiple times and three out of the four new ports, the one exception being now the FIFTH stop in Greece. IT'S VERY EASY TO TALK WHEN IT'S NOT YOU WHO ARE BEING AFFECTED. AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT CELEBRITY IS "SAVING OUR LIVES". They are protecting themselves pure and simple.

The most aggravating part of this is that the trouble started several weeks ago, in some cases more than a month ago, and they wait until 12 hours before the cruise departs to let us know? Obviously since we are already in Italy, we have no option except to go forward with the cruise, and also no time to plan what we're going to do in these four new added ports.

So we get an overnight in Athens, when in my opinion Athens needs a half a day at most. We have Crete, Rhodes, and Santorini added, as well as a stop in Sicily. Been there, done that, would NEVER have booked that itinerary in a million years. But we are left with ZERO options. Thanks, celebrity. :p

I am also on this cruise, and I think all of you who are not on the cruise really don't have any place to comment. Many of us booked the cruise ONLY because of the ports in Israel. I have been to every other port multiple times and three out of the four new ports, the one exception being now the FIFTH stop in Greece. IT'S VERY EASY TO TALK WHEN IT'S NOT YOU WHO ARE BEING AFFECTED. AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT CELEBRITY IS "SAVING OUR LIVES". They are protecting themselves pure and simple.

The most aggravating part of this is that the trouble started several weeks ago, in some cases more than a month ago, and they wait until 12 hours before the cruise departs to let us know? Obviously since we are already in Italy, we have no option except to go forward with the cruise, and also no time to plan what we're going to do in these four new added ports.

So we get an overnight in Athens, when in my opinion Athens needs a half a day at most. We have Crete, Rhodes, and Santorini added, as well as a stop in Sicily. Been there, done that, would NEVER have booked that itinerary in a million years. But we are left with ZERO options. Thanks, celebrity.

I may not be impacted on this particular voyage, but have had a cruise completely re-routed with very little notice. As my preference was to not sail into a dangerous situation I was fine with it, and as there was nothing I could do to change it, I made the best of it and still had a wonderful time.

To book ANY cruise SOLEY for the scheduled ports of call is setting yourself up for disappointment. These changes happen all the time, on every single cruise line. Not at all unique to Celebrity.

While you may not have chosen the revised itinerary, many may have. Again, Celebrity has to go with ports that they can reach within the scheduled time frame, and have docking space not already committed to other ships.

I understand being disappointed, but I can only imagine the nightmare if Celebrity kept to the original itinerary and something happened.