The Grand: Thumbs up or thumbs down?

KruzeKrazy!

We love sea days and thus booked a 15-day Cal-Hawaii-Cal cruise. They sail out of Vancouver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and the ship varies based on the port.

We prefer sailing out of SFO as our DS and wife live in the Bay Area so we can combine a visit with the cruise. Plus as we did for our last cruise out of SFO they take us to the pier, do BVE with us, and pick us up post-cruise.

Our concerns regarding the Grand include:

- We've sailed on the Grand before (2013) and like to try different ships

- We've read the multiple negative comments on the Grand's condition (which could decline more by the time we'd sail on her in 2017)

But . . .

- We do prefer SFO as stated above

- We got the exact cabin we prefer

- And we do like the Grand having the IC and Alfredo's

Any thoughts on the Grand and her condition - now and in the future? Should we stick with her or look to a different ship?

Thanks!

We were on the Grand this August for Alaska and found it to be fine. The staff was excellent and the ship appeared to be in good condition. I do not do Skywalkers so I cannot add to that, but the music was good and the attendants very helpful particularly in the Crooner's Lounge.

The Grand gets a thumbs up from me! She's a great ship. I love that two-level wrap-around promenade deck the Grand Class ships have, and I think you'll enjoy that a lot. She was in good shape last time we were on her, and I'd be surprised if she's not still in good shape when we sail on her again next month.

I say thumbs up. I was on her this past February. Did she have some issues? Yes. (although to be fair maybe some of the issues have been corrected) Would I sail on her again? Yes. This is the ship that works best for you so I say go for it. BTW we were on her for the LA-Hawaii cruise.

Edited by dickinson

DH and I sailed her the first time in 2013 and we really like her. The food was good. The crew was fantastic. I don't know how often they change people around. But we would sail her again. We did the coastal and it was so relaxing. It was also very convent for us to take the train from Sacramento. We did not have to leave until the day of the cruise.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

We first went on the Grand in l998, out of Istanbul... went back when she became home ported in SF, as we live by SFO. Did a California coast to check the ship out, since there where many negative reviews about the Grand. We had a great time, did not see any significant problems, had excellent service in the MDR... we like traditional dining. Would have no problem booking again on the Grand, in fact we are booked for New Years.

By comparison, we just got back from a 14 day cruise on the Queen Mary 2, Cunard... the QM2 has more problems then the Grand- QM2is newer built in 2004.

We are elite on Princess but cruise many lines, HAL, X, Cunard, NCL... recently. So we have a lot to compare the Grand to. I do love the Ruby the best of all the Grand class ships and don't want to go on the new Royal or Regal... too much like a X ship for me.

My DH and I sailed the Grand this past January. We had a great time. Excellent service from our cabin staff and our wait staff and especially those at the International café who took great care of my DH at all hours of the wee morning when he would get up soooo early and need his coffee! Especially Stephan! I would relate a cruise ship to my car. I don't get a new car every year. -Maybe some do, but is it really necessary? a car works perfectly fine as long as one remembers to do the necessary maintenance, put some fuel in her and give her a bath now and then, and hopefully talk kindly to her. (IMHO) no need to get rid of cruise ships so often. Princess is doing a great job taking care of them. Maybe we as the passenger could do a little better ourselves with the expectations. -again, just my 2cents, now only worth 1/2 cent. :eek: I would happily cruise on the Grand again.

Thank you all for your comments…..although i am not the OP, i read all the above comments with great interest as we are doing a B2B on the Grand next month. i too was a little concerned after reading some reviews and its been 10 years since we were aboard the Grand.

When you dissect some of the reviews it appears some posters would complain that they were upgraded to the owners suite but didn't get a towel animal left on their bed nightly.

thanks again for the current thoughts on the Grand

Thank you all for your comments…..........

When you dissect some of the reviews it appears some posters would complain that they were upgraded to the owners suite but didn't get a towel animal left on their bed nightly.

Now that is funny and so true here on CC. We have recently seen complaints about one cruise line who stopped putting nightly chocolates on passenger pillows.

Hank

We did the Grand, Vancouver/Hawaii 15 day round trip in March '15 - it was a wonderful trip and highly recommended. The ship was in very good condition considering it's age and we had no problems whatsoever with any of the crew/staff. We had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the Ultimate Ship Tour, again, both recommended if that is your thing. This was our first cruise, so perhaps we are not quite as critical (stars in our eyes ??) as some Grand Princess nay-sayers on CC, but we would do it again in a heart-beat !

...VTX-Al

Thank you all for your comments…..although i am not the OP, i read all the above comments with great interest as we are doing a B2B on the Grand next month. i too was a little concerned after reading some reviews and its been 10 years since we were aboard the Grand.

thanks again for the current thoughts on the Grand

That seems to be the case with almost any review. ;)

We were on the Grand to Hawaii a couple of years ago. We were on the cruise before she went into dry dock. Usually after dry dock they are in good condition. Doesn't matter to me about Skywalkers, it's a nice place to go chill out.

Our concerns regarding the Grand include:

- We've sailed on the Grand before (2013) and like to try different ships

- We've read the multiple negative comments on the Grand's condition (which could decline more by the time we'd sail on her in 2017)

But . . .

- We do prefer SFO as stated above

- We got the exact cabin we prefer

- And we do like the Grand having the IC and Alfredo's

Looks like what you like outweighs what you don't like. Ignore the negative comments, in the big picture of things, it's all about you and what you expect. Never get your expectations up too high when cruising. We don't live in a perfect world.