Catholic Mass? Where's the Service?

Lovincruisin1321

I was just reading a Daily from July on the Reflection.

8:00am - Catholic Mass with Fr. Gene - Theater

Are there any other services?

Now, I am actually Catholic have been attending a non denominational church for the past 10 years. So, I am not attacking the Catholics....

Why would Celebrity be so specific and not just have a "General Service" that would include all denominations or non?

There must have been a priest vacationing on board or the ship was in Europe. We have never had any religous services offered on any of our Celebrity sailings.

The only line I know of that has a priest on board all sailings is Holland America.

HA is the only line my Mom will cruise on because of this.

Why would Celebrity be so specific and not just have a "General Service" that would include all denominations or non?

Because Celebrity isn't providing the service, an RC priest is, and he is offering a Mass, not a non-denominational service.

There must have been a priest vacationing on board or the ship was in Europe. We have never had any religous services offered on any of our Celebrity sailings.

The only line I know of that has a priest on board all sailings is Holland America.

HA is the only line my Mom will cruise on because of this.

Crystal also has a Priest on every sailing. Our now-retired pastor used to serve on such cruises regularly, and he always performed a non-denominational Service as well as Catholic Mass each Sunday.

There have been Catholic priests on most of our Celebrity Cruises over the years. On Christian religious holidays they often also celebrate a nondenominational service. I have also noticed Jewish services on many sailings. Services are normally noted in daily bulletin.

Crystal also has a Priest on every sailing. Our now-retired pastor used to serve on such cruises regularly, and he always performed a non-denominational Service as well as Catholic Mass each Sunday.

That is good to know. Crystal is not a line I am familiar with. Some research is in order.

Celebrity used to have a Catholic priest on every sailing. Now they will have a priest for Christmas, Easter and possibly Lent. Any other time there is mass scheduled, it is because a priest is sailing and has offered to say mass for other passengers.

Celebrity used to have a Catholic priest on every sailing. Now they will have a priest for Christmas, Easter and possibly Lent. Any other time there is mass scheduled, it is because a priest is sailing and has offered to say mass for other passengers.

And it should be noted that this priest is paying his own fare and it is not being subsidized by the cruise line. There was a long thread a year or two ago on this and the general consensus was that to be fair, if the cruise line paid for a Catholic priest, then they also had to pay for every religion to be represented. By not providing any religious activity, they were not favoring one religion over another. They apparently now only provide a representative for a specific religion on special days it observes, such as Easter and Christmas for Catholics.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I did not go into a rage. I merely expressed a point. Christmas, Easter, All Saints day, etc are Christian holidays, they don't belong to just one group of Christians. But all Christians. And, I do get offended when one group indicates they are special for just their group, when it is special for all. As a side note, I was raised in the Catholic church, and went to a Catholic high school, and was married in the Catholic church.

I will go further and say, that any service provided by the Cruise line should be nondenominational, to include all who wanted to partake - regardless of their background. However, I have no problem with a Priest, a minister, or a Rabbi (who are taking time out of their cruise vacation) preforming a service for those of his/her particular faith on a cruise ship. That is their choice. But, to expect the cruise line to provide for just one is unfair.

Cruise lines provide many specialized activities that only appeal to a small group of passengers: Certified Bridge instructors, Yoga trainers, Dance hosts and hostesses. If you only want to pay for the activities you use, you will have to buy your own boat!

I did not go into a rage. I merely expressed a point. Christmas, Easter, All Saints day, etc are Christian holidays, they don't belong to just one group of Christians. But all Christians. And, I do get offended when one group indicates they are special for just their group, when it is special for all. As a side note, I was raised in the Catholic church, and went to a Catholic high school, and was married in the Catholic church.

I will go further and say, that any service provided by the Cruise line should be nondenominational, to include all who wanted to partake - regardless of their background. However, I have no problem with a Priest, a minister, or a Rabbi (who are taking time out of their cruise vacation) preforming a service for those of his/her particular faith on a cruise ship. That is their choice. But, to expect the cruise line to provide for just one is unfair.

There is no religion that I am aware of that would not welcome people from different faiths to join them for service if one of their's wasn't available to them.

The cruise line is in the business of providing vacation experiences, not spiritual salvation. That they provide any support is commendable since they are under no obligation to in any way. Rather than complain about one religion getting special treatment, you should be grateful that they do anything at all.

Your offensive posturing on this matter is EXACTLY why the cruise line has eliminated much of the support for religious observance. It always will anger those who feel disenfranchised if their religion is not supported. Someone will always feel slighted - as you have demonstrated.

They would be better off to just stay out of the religion issue completely.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I haven't had any religious services offered on my Celebrity Cruises, except during Easter. We had Catholic, Jewish , and non-denominational services.

I wish that services would be available for my long cruises.

Crystal and Holland America still have a Priest onboard every cruise. Celebrity arranges a Priest only for the Christmas cruise and for all of Lent through Easter (which is actually much better than many lines that only do Christmas and Easter). This influences our choice of cruise, or our shore excursion plans -- but I feel for the crew, many of whom are Catholic and who don't have the free time to get to Mass in port.

• 2 weeks later...
And it should be noted that this priest is paying his own fare and it is not being subsidized by the cruise line. There was a long thread a year or two ago on this and the general consensus was that to be fair, if the cruise line paid for a Catholic priest, then they also had to pay for every religion to be represented. By not providing any religious activity, they were not favoring one religion over another. They apparently now only provide a representative for a specific religion on special days it observes, such as Easter and Christmas for Catholics.

Protestants also celebrate Christmas and Easter. Does Celebrity provide a minister/pastor to provide services?

This is how it once was done

See "Tramps and Ladies" By Commodore Sir James Bissett

ON

Sunday morning, the Captain conducted Divine Service in

the main

lounge on the first-class deck, in accordance with the

rites of the Church of

England. This was a duty of all Masters of

passenger vessels. Some liked to do it, and did it very well. Others

disliked the

job, and would pass it on to anyone else, if possible.

The

story is told of a rough old diamond of a captain (not in

the Cunard

servicel) who had little use for the letter "H" in

speaking, probably considering it a waste of breath; but he was

jovially pious, and loved to conduct Divine Service, always with

hymns of his own choice, which he announced by reading the first

two lines. His favorite was

"Holy, Holy, Holy," which came from

him as "

'Oly, 'Oly/Oly."

But

sincerity is the main thing, and many a rough shipmaster

of that breed has conducted not only routine Divine Services, but

also burials and

christenings at sea, with the dignity that comes

from meeting any occasion with authority.

With other officers and

ship's people, and a goodly number of

passengers

from all three

classes, I attended the service, and felt

the better for it. I have never since missed a Divine Service at sea

if I could attend. Our vocation is one which

gives many reminders

of the workings of Providence, and most seafarers have a sense of

reverence due to their constant observation of "the

spacious firmament on

high," and of the motions of the earth and of its wide

waters.

Even if there

happened to be an Anglican or Protestant Episcopalian clergyman among the passengers, the Captain usually conducted the service, as the ship was his parish; but priests, ministers,

or

pastors of various sects were permitted to hold services for their

own congregations at times and places in the ship announced on

the notice boards.

Many people attended Divine Service at sea, who never went to

church on shore. One man, filling in his entry form for the U.S.

immigration authorities, put in the column for stating his religion

Cunarder!

Regards

John