Denied

kkimber2

We have a cruise booked in November. RCI told me to bring my passport and birth certificate as our passports need to be renewed in less than six months and some ports of call are very strict. They want your passport renewal date to be greater than six months.

Since we are all playing the speculation game...

My best guess that would still get him a refund is that his name is on a no-fly list but the no-fly name isn't your friend it is someone else. Cruise lines get to cheat a bit with immigration and customs because of what they do before hand and it is a controlled environment. You friend's name being on a no-fly list would throw a monkey in that wrench so the cruise line decided just not to deal with it because your friend didn't deal with it before hand, which he could have.

I have a friend who periodically would get to deal with no-fly list crap, he traveled a lot so he dealt with it so he wouldn't be on the list. It does take a chunk of time and there is a lot of paper work but in the long run it is worth it. You pretty much have to prove you aren't someone else.

The above is what COULD have caused it.

What really caused it is probably much simpler. Your friend is lying to you. He probably has a felony conviction or something like that and didn't get a refund at all. Telling you that he did get a refund and that he has no idea why they refused him travel means he doesn't have to tell you about his felony. Which really is none of anyone's business as long as he has paid his debt to society.

We have a cruise booked in November. RCI told me to bring my passport and birth certificate as our passports need to be renewed in less than six months and some ports of call are very strict. They want your passport renewal date to be greater than six months.

That's total garbage given by..... For a normal closed loop Caribbean cruise you dont even need a passport. The only time you need a passport renewal to be greater than 6 months away is when you fly to the country in question

No port in the Caribbean requires cruise ship passengers' passports to be valid for anything further than the trip they are on- it would be silly for them to require this when they allow passengers to travel with a birth certificate.

As far as the OP goes, I agree that the friend is the one to ask since none of us could know.

a friend of mine was denied boarding on the NOS this Sunday and is getting a full refund does anyone know why this would happen?

Well my friend said he was denied to board due to some port laws. He told them that he had his passport and was still told he was not able to go. Which he thought was weird considering he had been to the countries we are sailing to already before. Which made him a little upset was they waited till the friday before we sail to notify him of this. I asked him if he had a criminal record and such he had told me was arrested once but it was dissmissed. So he still isn't sure what the law is that is prohibiting him to sail

I'm a bit confused. From you first post I think many thought your friend was at the port checking in and was denied boarding there but it sounds like he was notified a few days before the sail date. What is/was your sail date? When and how was he notified?

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

If I was going to try to drive you insane, I'd post a story about how I just booked the same cruise you're on and got the cabin next to yours and how happy I am that RCCL approved me bringing my 18 "assistance" cats and said they'd also open the wall between our balconies so the cats would have room to roam.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, assistance cats... LOLOLOL

Whatever it is, if he was denied and Royal is giving him a full refund, you can rest assured that it was a mistake on their end. They dont just give refunds out like candy that close to boarding day. :rolleyes:

Whatever was the reason, that's awful for the traveller. Even with a refund, it's still booked off vacation (assuming working), possible flight and hotel costs, and just the excitement of going and then being denied when you are there.

I find it strange though that the person is confused as to why he was denided. Wouldn't he has pressed the issue to find out???

This is an obsolete version of the form. The new form includes questions on Ebola.

A form is required to be completed by each passenger on each and every voyage. Consecutive cruises (B2B) may be an exception to this.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

If I was going to try to drive you insane, I'd post a story about how I just booked the same cruise you're on and got the cabin next to yours and how happy I am that RCCL approved me bringing my 18 "assistance" cats and said they'd also open the wall between our balconies so the cats would have room to roam.

HAHAHA I love it! Good one. Hilarious. :)

Maybe I missed where he was going. Was he possibly going to Canada and does he have a DUI on his record?

Or was it a back to back that violates PVSA?

I was thinking Canada too... They are pretty strict on their DUI or "other convictions" laws. We live close to the border and there a lot of people who can't accompany their kids on field trips because of it.

Hi. Lar. LOL!!!

Edited by SteadyBetty

No port in the Caribbean requires cruise ship passengers' passports to be valid for anything further than the trip they are on- it would be silly for them to require this when they allow passengers to travel with a birth certificate.

As far as the OP goes, I agree that the friend is the one to ask since none of us could know.

Jamaica is 6 months from travel.

Add another vote for the "your friend knows why and did not get a refund but is lying about it because they don't want to tell you" camp.

With half a vote for the "this whole thing is completely made up in the first place" camp.

Gawd, I am so cynical anymore..... :(

I was thinking Canada too... They are pretty strict on their DUI or "other convictions" laws. We live close to the border and there a lot of people who can't accompany their kids on field trips because of it.

Reasonable thought, but OP mentioned NOS in initial post. Navigator is sailing Western Caribbean itineraries from Galveston now (moving to FL soon).

You say that they had a passport, was it valid (often requiring validity for six months aft the end of the cruise) did they have necessary visas.

The fact you raise the passport issue it sounds like it may have Ben related to that.