Wedding Bands either Accidentally Thrown Away or Stolen by Room Steward - Help

DUTRAVEL

Just a question: once they were done showering and I assume they got dressed to go out for the evening, why did neither of them realize that they didn't have their rings? Seems to me this couple bears most of the responsibility for losing their rings.

Hardly "Just a Question"....:rolleyes:

I bought a good looking faux wedding ring for not much money many years ago and I love wearing it on vacation. I don't ever worry and it gives me peace of mind that my good jewelry is at home in safe deposit box. Who's on board that I have to impress? Better to be safe, than sorry!

...Who's on board that I have to impress? Better to be safe, than sorry!

That reminds me of one of my favorite comments from an old dress code thread: "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

I bought a good looking faux wedding ring for not much money many years ago and I love wearing it on vacation. I don't ever worry and it gives me peace of mind that my good jewelry is at home in safe deposit box. Who's on board that I have to impress? Better to be safe, than sorry!

Sounds like a good argument for not having any good jewelry. If faux suits one a ship, why not at home, too? Somehow I don't think the argument will carry much weight with most women but it's worth a try

Edited by BosoxI

I guess there are two schools of thought. If it's really good jewelry a lot of people don't want to travel with it or call attention to themselves. On a land based trip in a lot of the world I would leave my good stuff at home.

However, on a cruise ship I can lock expensive items up (have lost a very nice necklace once this way :( left it) but I bring a bit more on a cruise and don't wear diamond tennis brackets or pendants on shore. But what's the point of having these things if you can't bring them and wear them.

Young people, Newly married have many other things going on, everything is new and exciting... Small details like those tiny rings taken off get overlooked :(

I am so surprised that they didn't think to put them on after the shower. Being that they are newlyweds I would think it would be one of the first things they would think of doing. After 28 years of marriage I still watch mine like a hawk. It is priceless to me.

I have never ever taken my wedding ring off- why did your son and new daughter- in - law they take theirs off?

Is it a new custom?

I have taken my off many, many times. Sleeping, gardening, showering etc. A lot of people with plain bands (no stones), bands with channel set stones, smaller settings tend to not take them off as much or at all. With bigger settings they sometimes tend to catch on things. Mine absolutely comes off at night and sometimes off at other times. Of course there are no new customs as to who, how or when people take them off.

At the risk of having vegetable and fruits thrown at me, I have to say that in my opinion this story just doesn't ring true. I know, bad pun indeed. But seriously, this whole thread is some 6 pages long discussing an allegation of theft or loss posted second hand by a relative of the aggrieved party and not by the claimed vicitims. The facts at best are sketchy. Theft? Lost? Fell down the drain? Fell on the Floor? Both bride and groom removing their wedding bands and both completely oblivious to the fact that neither bothered to put them back on? I'm not buying it. I personally find the story dubious. Based on what was posted, and I suppose I will be blasted for suggesting it, I am just as inclined to believe the possibility of an insurance scam being perpetrated by the couple as that of the cabin attendant stealing the rings. Sorry but I think that possibility ought to be part of the discussion.

I pray that this young couple filed a written incident report with the proper authority aboard ship and received a copy of their written incident report. This written incident report then can be file with their insurance company to replace their missing wedding rings.

Sorry but I think that possibility ought to be part of the discussion.

Sure why not. Why settle for blaming the victim when you can outright accuse them of a crime? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the risk of having vegetable and fruits thrown at me, I have to say that in my opinion this story just doesn't ring true. I know, bad pun indeed. But seriously, this whole thread is some 6 pages long discussing an allegation of theft or loss posted second hand by a relative of the aggrieved party and not by the claimed vicitims. The facts at best are sketchy. Theft? Lost? Fell down the drain? Fell on the Floor? Both bride and groom removing their wedding bands and both completely oblivious to the fact that neither bothered to put them back on? I'm not buying it. I personally find the story dubious. Based on what was posted, and I suppose I will be blasted for suggesting it, I am just as inclined to believe the possibility of an insurance scam being perpetrated by the couple as that of the cabin attendant stealing the rings. Sorry but I think that possibility ought to be part of the discussion.

Not sure they were asking you to decide whether the couple were likely to be committing an offence, it's hearsay information so almost by definition it will be "sketchy" either way you view it. No fruit and veg just please don't sit on a jury

I will side with the rings being accidentally thrown away/lost down the drain. I recognize my argument has flaws but none of us know what actually happened.

Assume for a second an X employee is inclined to commit a theft of opportunity, the victims left money or jewelry out. Unless the X employee is pathological, I doubt they take the rings. If you were going to commit the theft you would have to realize the rings are something the victims would immediately identify as missing. Furthermore, the X employee would have to also realize reporting of the missing items would be very emotional and done very fast. Nope, I would skip the rings and instead wait for one item in a bag of jewelry or a $100 bill from a wallet/purse.

I had a pair of my favorite, very expensive Bvlgari sunglasses stolen from our cabin on the Reflection. I know they were stolen because I took great care of them and always put them in the same spot, and recall leaving them there after going out that day. A few times during the cruise our attendant made a towel animal and put the sunglasses on the animal, which was fine and cute, but I can't help but think that it's possible that he left the door open while cleaning and someone grabbed them off the elephant's nose or whatever. I don't think the room attendant took them just because of the sheer stupidity of stealing something you had been using as a decoration all week. Also, whoever took them left the case, hence my assumption that they were on the towel animal at the time of the theft. Two years later and I'm still sad :(

Edited by AnnaMiami

I had a pair of my favorite, very expensive Bvlgari sunglasses stolen from our cabin on the Reflection. I know they were stolen because I took great care of them and always put them in the same spot, and recall leaving them there after going out that day. A few times during the cruise our attendant made a towel animal and put the sunglasses on the animal, which was fine and cute, but I can't help but think that it's possible that he left the door open while cleaning and someone grabbed them off the elephant's nose or whatever. I don't think the room attendant took them just because of the sheer stupidity of stealing something you had been using as a decoration all week. Also, whoever took them left the case, hence my assumption that they were on the towel animal at the time of the theft. Two years later and I'm still sad :(

Very brave telling that story here. Before you know it some one will say something doesn't ring right about your story, your story is suspiciously sketchy and you were trying on an insurance scam :D

Very brave telling that story here. Before you know it some one will say something doesn't ring right about your story, your story is suspiciously sketchy and you were trying on an insurance scam :D

Indeed there is some something sketching about that story...everyone knows that no self-respecting elephant would wear anything but Maui Jim sunglasses !! :D:D

BBL

That reminds me of one of my favorite comments from an old dress code thread: "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

I missed that quote from the old thread. Thanks for sharing it Host Walt. How true, oh how true.

About 3 years ago we had a Aqua Class cabin on a Celebrity ship and my Rolex watch went missing in the cabin. We searched all over couldn't find it. The stateroom folks did a thorough search nothing. Usually I locked the watch in the room safe when not using it. So of course thought it was stolen. The ship identified and queried all crew folks who entered the cabin during the time it could have disappeared. Nothing. When we got home we contacted Celebrity home office to report it. Did not hear anything for a couple of months. The ship had some sort of short dry dock or deep cleaning event and we received a call from Celebrity. Low and behold they found the watch wedged between the nightstand and wall about half way down. We actually tried to look there but it was bolted to the wall and didn't think there was enough space for it to fit. The night stand typically is not moved on normal cleaning and only in such dry dock/deep cleaning events. The watch was fed ex'ed to us and had it a day later. I/we had given up all hope of ever seeing it again. So bottom line, call Celebrity home office and notify them of the event (dont count on the ship to follow through after you leave), have good home owners insurance with listed jewelry and be cautious of placing valuables in the room after taking them off if you had a little too much to drink (my problem). The only reason they returned the timepiece is that we contacted the home office and they recorded the event/room/passenger and had a means of tracking down the owner of the "found timepiece". Hope things turn out for you as they did for us.

[quote name='Host Walt']That reminds me of one of my favorite comments from an old dress code thread: [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]"You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

What a great saying. I'll have to remember that one.