Meds

thepixchick

This is really more of a "getting to the cruise" question, so I hope it is ok here!

I take several prescriptions in pill/capsule form and would like to use a daily pill box instead of hauling all the bottles along on the cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is ok for airport security? I've looked at the TSA site and it seems very general when it comes to meds. I have no idea what they screen! Obviously liquids and gels are screened per the TSA site, but mine are all solid, so I'm good?

We take mostly vitamins, very few prescription drugs. I pack them in a daily pill container & have never had a problem. As Schoifmom said, put the container in a zip lock bag. I've had one open once and it was a mess finding everything in the suitcase. Even with the bag, I still put a strip of tape across the top of each row. The only drug that I would take in its original bottle is a controlled drug, such as the Ativan my DH uses when flying.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Thanks for the ziplock idea and your experiences! I know I could just bring all the bottles, and if others pipe in with horrible experiences, maybe I will. I just really hate to do that - I use a 28 day box at home (bought a 7 day for trip), so I usually toss the containers.

I hate to worry about something that I probably don't need to worry about, but my experience in travel has been that if something can happen, it will ;)

It's totally fine...no one cares about your Rx's....as long as you aren't bringing copious amounts of narcotics, you're good! You don't need them to be in the Rx bottles.

They should be in your carryon..never check anything you can't do without, or anything of value!

Edited by cb at sea

If you are flying to a Florida airport you should bring a copy of your prescription for any narcotics (or the "little blue pill" as well). TSA doesn't care at all about what is in your daily pill box but local LEOs on airport detail hang around the scanners and lean on the TSA agents to point out anyone with loose pills in their bags. Or they just look over the agent's shoulders at the scanners themselves for anything "suspicious".

TSA is generally not a problem on meds. What you need to watch for is Customs at your destination--that's where the issues could come in. If you're flying from one U.S. airport to another don't worry. If, however, your flight is to another country, you will need to clear Customs there, and issues could arise there. Same with return--if you're flying between countries and still have some meds with you on return, questions could arise.

If your cruise goes to any non-U.S. ports (which the vast majority do), you will need to clear U.S. customs on disembarkation.

However, if you have no meds left at that point you have nothing to be concerned with. And if it's just a couple of pills, it's highly unlikely anyone will blink.

If you have any of these circumstances, and don't want to carry all the bottles, take photocopies of the prescription labels and, if you can, the original prescription. For most meds, these will suffice.

All that being said, if any of your meds are considered narcotics BRING THE BOTTLE and a copy of the prescription for that one. Customs can get mighty sticky about narcotics, even if it's a single pill. And in some countries, that stickiness can translate to a pretty miserable time.

There was a very long thread on this one a few weeks ago.

Many recommended bringing the bottles but it really is not required by the TSA.

If they are solid pills just keep them in your carry on.

If they have liquid in them than best to put them with the other liquids in the ziplock bag.

Keith

I always err on the side of caution and bring the bottles. Everything stays with me in my carry on. Once on the ship I transfer what I need each day to another container. I always keep my meds locked in the cabin safe. One time, on a Princess cruise, I forgot and left them out on the bed. When I saw our cabin steward later she said to me "I'm sorry but I had to tell them". I didn't really understand what she meant right away until I saw that I had forget to lock them up. Nothing ever came of it.

This is really more of a "getting to the cruise" question, so I hope it is ok here!

I take several prescriptions in pill/capsule form and would like to use a daily pill box instead of hauling all the bottles along on the cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is ok for airport security? I've looked at the TSA site and it seems very general when it comes to meds. I have no idea what they screen! Obviously liquids and gels are screened per the TSA site, but mine are all solid, so I'm good?

It is fine as long as you do not have narcotics, keep those in their original bottles. No one cares about your BP, cholesterol or other common meds.

It is fine as long as you do not have narcotics, keep those in their original bottles. No one cares about your BP, cholesterol or other common meds.

How does someone screening your carry ons know whether it's BP, cholesterol, or other common meds? Or something in the "controlled" category? Unless you have the prescription (bottle, or printout from pharmacy) with you?

Thanks for the ziplock idea and your experiences! I know I could just bring all the bottles, and if others pipe in with horrible experiences, maybe I will. I just really hate to do that - I use a 28 day box at home (bought a 7 day for trip), so I usually toss the containers.

I hate to worry about something that I probably don't need to worry about, but my experience in travel has been that if something can happen, it will ;)

Bring a printout from pharmacy or Drs of all your prescriptions.

Always just used the baggies like others have said and never had a problem with a few BP/Cholesterol meds. Never worried about the bottles.

But last year I had a major endocarditis battle followed by heart surgery and a long recovery period... lots of pills prescribed or recommended to help fight my way back. Everything from fish oil to vitamin supplements, to major antibiotics. Over 20 bottles at the peak, with more than 40 pills a day. I still put them in the pill baggies, but took clear cell phone photos of the bottle labels with sample pill in front. Was worried with such a big pharmacy in my carry on it may raise a red flag at security. Nobody seemed to care at all, but I did want some back-up if asked. I did also have some Oxy pain med which I kept in the bottle since it was not a regular dose and it was a narc. Did not want to fool with having that in a baggie.

I do always carry on my meds, and always take extra in case of any travel delays.

We've had this conversation many times but it is a real concern for many of us.

There are two ways of thinking about it and your 'risk tolerance' may help you decide which way you want to go.

If you absolutely have to take those meds and be certain they are not confiscated, carry them in pharmacy labeled/provided containers.

If you are willing to risk them being confiscated at the airport and discarded, carry them whatever way you wish..... in daily pill container, in tiny zip lock baggies or all tossed into one bottle.

I must have my meds and I carry them in pharmacy containers. If they are confiscated, I would have to turn around and go home.

Just because someone says they've traveled through airport 100 times and never had a problem, they may wish to add 'yet'. I personally have seen baggies of pills tossed by TSA. I know what their website says but I do not care to be the person standing at security and fighting with them about what they are supposed to do. Pax rarely win any arguments with TSA. :)

Just want to add you should always bring 3 or 4 days extra of all your meds in case of travel delay. Also, don't worry about bringing your meds on the ship. It is fine to carry them in zip lock baggies or however you wish when boarding. It is only the airport about which I worry.

[ QUOTE=Shmoo here;48134625]How does someone screening your carry ons know whether it's BP, cholesterol, or other common meds? Or something in the "controlled" category? Unless you have the prescription (bottle, or printout from pharmacy) with you?

You're in the ballpark. Pharmacists can print a "back panel," which is your script history. It minimally contains your and MD info, med names and doses. Some include descriptions and/or pictures of meds.

Anyone can put a med in some old "original" pill bottle. Get a "back panel" print out and carry the actual meds in whatever is the most convenient way for you.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

my husband also brings his chemo drugs and steroids, and other Rx meds when we cruise.

You can download on the TSA site a form for meds, that you list, I have his oncologist sign it also and/or write a letter stating what drugs he takes. I bring that and the copies of the pharmacy prescription info sheet. Have never had a problem at airports or cruise ports (even with liquid meds in original bottle)

I travel weekly for work and never had an issue with pill boxes

Guess I'm a "belt & suspenders" kind of guy. I open my medicine cabinet at home and begin ti slide every bottle into a gal-sized ziplock bag. They range from heart and bp meds up to Norco. So I just don't want any hassles, I'm on vacation!

Edited by Treven

How does someone screening your carry ons know whether it's BP, cholesterol, or other common meds? Or something in the "controlled" category? Unless you have the prescription (bottle, or printout from pharmacy) with you?

Pills have distinctive shapes and imprints. For example a white oval/football with a 40 is Atorvastatin.

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?imprint=40&color=12&shape=11

Pills have distinctive shapes and imprints. For example a white oval/football with a 40 is Atorvastatin.

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?imprint=40&color=12&shape=11

I get that, but does Joe Blow TSA agent have knowledge of all prescription medications and what they look like? I think not.

My "original containers" have a description of the medication contained therein. That's why I take my medications in their original containers.

Recent cruise, I used the daily pill box for my vitamins only (the stuff that I can get along without, if tossed). My prescriptions I brought in their original containers.