Convince Me to Book HAL

RocketMan275

I've been toying with the idea of booking a suite on Holland but have always backed out at the last minute. I had almost convinced myself to book my next cruise on Holland out of Fort Lauderdale. Then, this week, Holland announced their new branding initiatives. I watched the presentation and while I was not that impressed I wasn't turned off either. Now, after reading the responses to the thread discussing these initiatives, I am having a difficult time convincing myself to book a cruise on Holland. Those responses were so negative towards Holland, Mr. Ashford, and the initiative that I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone would ever want to cruise on Holland.

Can someone please tell me that Holland is worth my time and funds? Convince me to book Holland?

FWIW, here's the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274169

Personal background: The wife and I have cruised multiple times on Royal and Princess and are more interested in the ship than the itinerary. Would probably book a Neptune suite on a Caribbean seven day cruise.

I can't speak for other posters, but my disappointment in the HAL announcement was that it didn't strike me as a big deal, especially after all that hype. I think they overhyped it, which inevitably leads to disappointment. Also, most people posting here know how to do travel research and have our own ways of researching travel. Frankly, I don't need their new tech stuff, so I wasn't excited. But mostly I was turned off by the poor presentation. It made HAL look amateurish.

But none of that affects the cruise experience, so don't let the complaining on that thread (yes, I complained a lot) sway you.

Will you like HAL? Depends on what you want. The lines you're used to have larger ships with more bells and whistles.Are you looking for lots of different dining venues? Do you eat in the MDR or the buffet? Do you use the buffet much at odd hours? What sort of entertainment do you look for?

HAL's big advantage to me is good and varied itineraries, with interesting ports mixed into a quiet, restful cruise. Their smaller ships make it easy to find everything I need.

They don't make a zillion announcements (I was ready to hunt down the CD on Princess and toss him overboard if he promoted bingo one more time!) I can find somewhere quiet to sit and read, including in the pool area, which has a cover for cool or rainy days. (Again, I HATED all the loud music by the pool on Princess. The only quiet place we could find was on our balcony)

Food is subjective, but I find it to be very good. HAL is known for good service, although sometimes you can see that staff cuts have stretched them a bit thin in places. HAL does a good job with room service, even with breakfast on the last morning, which few lines offer. And if you order early enough, you can have room service dinner from the MDR menu, not just the regular room service food. Dinner on your balcony in the Caribbean? Doesn't that sound good? MDR options are set times early and late, or open seating.

The Neptune suite is very nice, and we enjoy the lounge that goes with it. Pastries in the morning, a snack lunch if we don't feel like going to the Lido or the MDR, afternoon tea nibbles. HAL does a good job with room service, even with breakfast on the last morning, which few lines offer. YOu can also have afternoon tea delivered to your suite, or canapes for cocktail hour. The lounge does not serve free drinks, if that's an issue for you.

Is there something I left out that's essential for your cruise experience?

what ship do you have in mind to sail on?

We have been happy on HAL and have done a number of Neptune Suites.

I think that thread you saw (and I had read it) were people who were disappointed with all the hoopla and a not exciting announcement.

I did a live thread from our last Westerdam cruise in April this year as well as our Prinsendam cruises (last year and the year before and before) if you want to look.

We had a great time on these two ships. Found the food good, service great, PG's wonderful (including breakfast there if you are doing a Neptune Suite).

Ships can vary week to week, but our service on these two has been pretty consistent for our cruises.

I can't speak for other posters, but my disappointment in the HAL announcement was that it didn't strike me as a big deal, especially after all that hype. I think they overhyped it, which inevitably leads to disappointment. Also, most people posting here know how to do travel research and have our own ways of researching travel. Frankly, I don't need their new tech stuff, so I wasn't excited. But mostly I was turned off by the poor presentation. It made HAL look amateurish.

But none of that affects the cruise experience, so don't let the complaining on that thread (yes, I complained a lot) sway you.

Will you like HAL? Depends on what you want. The lines you're used to have larger ships with more bells and whistles.Are you looking for lots of different dining venues? Do you eat in the MDR or the buffet? Do you use the buffet much at odd hours? What sort of entertainment do you look for?

HAL's big advantage to me is good and varied itineraries, with interesting ports mixed into a quiet, restful cruise. Their smaller ships make it easy to find everything I need.

They don't make a zillion announcements (I was ready to hunt down the CD on Princess and toss him overboard if he promoted bingo one more time!) I can find somewhere quiet to sit and read, including in the pool area, which has a cover for cool or rainy days. (Again, I HATED all the loud music by the pool on Princess. The only quiet place we could find was on our balcony)

Food is subjective, but I find it to be very good. HAL is known for good service, although sometimes you can see that staff cuts have stretched them a bit thin in places. HAL does a good job with room service, even with breakfast on the last morning, which few lines offer. And if you order early enough, you can have room service dinner from the MDR menu, not just the regular room service food. Dinner on your balcony in the Caribbean? Doesn't that sound good? MDR options are set times early and late, or open seating.

The Neptune suite is very nice, and we enjoy the lounge that goes with it. Pastries in the morning, a snack lunch if we don't feel like going to the Lido or the MDR, afternoon tea nibbles. HAL does a good job with room service, even with breakfast on the last morning, which few lines offer. YOu can also have afternoon tea delivered to your suite, or canapes for cocktail hour. The lounge does not serve free drinks, if that's an issue for you.

Is there something I left out that's essential for your cruise experience?

Good questions. Wife and I are retired and we really aren't into rock climbing or riding flows. We like to spend quiet time on board. Spend a lot of time on the balcony or in other quieter areas of the ship. We do like to spend time in Princess Atrium watching the ebb and flow although it can get a bit too loud. Specialty restaurants are more important than the MDR. We do the buffet a lot. Loved the suites breakfast area in Sabatini's. More interested in a friendly crew providing good service than shore excursions.

Right now we're limited to seven day cruises in the Caribbean. When we are no longer with dogs that will change and we would like to do some longer cruises. Hawaii and Tahiti. South America. Alaska and Panama. Not all that interested in Asia or Europe since wife avoids long flights.

I am one of those people that have been very vocal and critical about HAL's announced new initiatives and the way they were presented.

Let me however categorically state here that the announcements and presentation in no way reflect the wonderful experiences we have had and will continue to have on HAL ships. We look forward to our next HAL cruise with no less anticipation than we did before the press conference.

We have sailed twice on the Sapphire Princess and once on the new Regal Princess, and while the ships are slightly larger than HAL ships, the overall experience is very similar to HAL's Vista and Signature category ships. We do prefer the food on HAL slightly and the more varied and better entertainment on Princess.

what ship do you have in mind to sail on?

We have been happy on HAL and have done a number of Neptune Suites.

I think that thread you saw (and I had read it) were people who were disappointed with all the hoopla and a not exciting announcement.

I did a live thread from our last Westerdam cruise in April this year as well as our Prinsendam cruises (last year and the year before and before) if you want to look.

We had a great time on these two ships. Found the food good, service great, PG's wonderful (including breakfast there if you are doing a Neptune Suite).

Ships can vary week to week, but our service on these two has been pretty consistent for our cruises.

Was thinking of the Westerdam or similar or the Eurodam or similar.

How would you compare HAL to Princess? BTW, thanks for pointing out the breakfast in PG for suites on HAL. Wife loved breakfast in Sabatini's. Now that's an example of what we're looking for.

Why don't you move up to a premium line, you want to book a suite on HAL. Oceania would be my suggestion.

HAL used to be very good but food and service have greatly eroded. Staffing in dining venues is very thin. The biggest issue I have is ship condition, nonworking plumbing, AC is a frequent issue. They have the oldest fleet at sea and allocate little money to maintain and repair.

The announcement didn't influence my opinion in any way but if you read the thread its entirety there are very honest assessments. I've experienced Ac and plumbing problems but did not know about three ships leaking diesel fuel and HAL no plans to fix the leaks. Why do you want to sail?

We've sailed a lot of Princess, you asked for comparison. Princess has steadily improved their product while HAL went south. Travel professionals have told me Carnival Corp purposely upgraded one and let the other one slide.

Edited by sammiedawg

I'll echo the sentiments of the previous posters. There was a lot of hype leading up to this week's public announcement, so the lack of substance and the poor presentation led to a lot of disappointment. Even the most enthusiastic of HAL supporters were taken aback. So, yes, a bit of bitching and moaning which will continue for a few more days, but I highly doubt that there has been a rush of people cancelling their reservations as a result.

HAL offers a good, solid product. We have three cruises booked currently, one each with Celebrity, HAL and Royal Caribbean. Most of our cruises have been on HAL, and while we like other lines too, we do enjoy coming home to HAL.

Based on the fact you 'are more interested in the ship' than the itinerary and that you have previously cruised on Princess and RCL, HAL may not be for you. The current HAL ships are not newer with lots of glitz and glamor as are most Princess and RCL ships but stately with old world elegance. They are smaller, more intimate and comfortable with amazing service. The new Koningsdam may be what you may like when it is available - not sure when you are planning on cruising. I am 5-star on HAL with many hundreds of days because of the itineraries and the service, even after cruising other cruise lines. Also, Cunard may be more to you liking.

People tend to complain loud and long before they praise - and you have just seen classic examples of that after the recent announcement.

Hopefully I will not be chastised too much for saying what I do believe to be in your best interest.

Was thinking of the Westerdam or similar or the Eurodam or similar.

How would you compare HAL to Princess? BTW, thanks for pointing out the breakfast in PG for suites on HAL. Wife loved breakfast in Sabatini's. Now that's an example of what we're looking for.

So, with the Neptune Suite, you will have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill every day on the ships you are looking at.

As well, there is the Neptune Lounge. There you will find munchies - you can do a late continental breakfast there if you are so inclined, light munchies for lunch and hors d hoeuvres around 3 pm. It also has a nice coffee machine and I prefer the teas there to what is in the MDR - so I take one of them to the MDR.

There are really nice chocolates around 3 pm too, but you need to arrive early - they disappear quickly.

the concierge there can take care of whatever you need - reservations for specialty restaurants, shore excursions, issues, whatever.

As well, let us not forget the free laundry and dry cleaning that you have among other things.

It has been a long time since I sailed on Princess so I would be reluctant to compare for you as it would be outdated and unfair. I do know at the time I said I wish I was on HAL and after the letter I got back from Princess when I outlined our issues we have not been back on.

Have only been on the N Amsterdam (sister ship to the Eurodam). We prefer the Westerdam because of the service, but the Eurodam does have the silk den & Tamarind but as much as we enjoy that the Westerdam seems to have the nicer itineraries and better staff.

Westerdam has the most repeat passengers on HAL next to the Prinsendam (which is in a class by herself).

hope this helps a bit.

None of us work for HAL.... :D

I don't think it is for me to 'convince' anyone how they should spend their vacation time and money.

I wouldn't want to be blamed if you were unhappy.

Good luck choosing and hopefully you will find the right cruise you'll fully enjoy.

Edited by sail7seas

That silly announcement or press conference the other day isn't going to impact the things I like about HAL. I've had the pleasure of being able to book a Neptune Suite for a couple of short cruises and highly recommend them. Personally, I've never experienced any issues on HAL or any other line for that matter.

What not try HAL for a 7-day cruise and form your own opinion? If you need to be persuaded or convinced, maybe you need to look at other lines.

Roz

Edited by Roz

Why don't you move up to a premium line, you want to book a suite on HAL. Oceania would be my suggestion.

HAL used to be very good but food and service have greatly eroded. Staffing in dining venues is very thin. The biggest issue I have is ship condition, nonworking plumbing, AC is a frequent issue. They have the oldest fleet at sea and allocate little money to maintain and repair.

The announcement didn't influence my opinion in any way but if you read the thread its entirety there are very honest assessments. I've experienced Ac and plumbing problems but did not know about three ships leaking diesel fuel and HAL no plans to fix the leaks. Why do you want to sail?

We've sailed a lot of Princess, you asked for comparison. Princess has steadily improved their product while HAL went south. Travel professionals have told me Carnival Corp purposely upgraded one and let the other one slide.

I will totally echo this. After 4 HALs, 2 Princess, and 2 Oceania - with our next Oceania in January - O has been a great fit for us. What we look for in a satisfying cruise beyond the itinerary are quiet, good service, meals to look forward to, and an understated classy atmosphere. Found it all in Oceania, plus a wonderful lack of nickle-and-dimeing. Neither shows nor other activities are important to us beyond an occasional diversion. I think Princess absolutely does Alaska best should that be your interest, but beyond that we think that HAL has some 'splaining to do in terms of its apparent priorities per the announcement this week, vs. the food, staffing, and maintenance issues documented on CC so often. While in the future we might try Königsdam for the right itinerary and price, we're most happy with O. We do keep up with HAL news as that was our choice for a while, but they lost us after food, service, and maintenance issues on Zuiderdam.

Kazu, is the dry cleaning for suites new? Or was I just not paying attention in the past?

For the OP, we sailed Westerdam's 7-day Carib itinerary last winter. We were happy with the ports (we chose the itinerary with St Maarten instead of St Thomas) and the ship itself.

Dry cleaning has been included in the fare for Neptune Suites since Statendam first joined the fleet and maybe even before that. We sailed in "S" Suite, as it was called at the time, Statendam's Inaugural year and we had included laundry and dry cleaning.

Kazu, is the dry cleaning for suites new? Or was I just not paying attention in the past?

For the OP, we sailed Westerdam's 7-day Carib itinerary last winter. We were happy with the ports (we chose the itinerary with St Maarten instead of St Thomas) and the ship itself.

no, it's been there as long as we have been sailing (which is a long time) .

Our cabin steward normally offers to press DH's stuff for formal night too (complimentary).

Dry cleaning has been included in the fare for Neptune Suites since Statendam first joined the fleet and maybe even before that. We sailed in "S" Suite, as it was called at the time, Statendam's Inaugural year and we had included laundry and dry cleaning.

I've made good use of the laundry, but never needed dry cleaning so I never noticed. Duh... :o

I've made good use of the laundry, but never needed dry cleaning so I never noticed. Duh... :o

My experience has been they do a not bad dam job. I'm going to miss that Oceania, no question ;)

I will totally echo this. After 4 HALs, 2 Princess, and 2 Oceania - with our next Oceania in January - O has been a great fit for us. What we look for in a satisfying cruise beyond the itinerary are quiet, good service, meals to look forward to, and an understated classy atmosphere. Found it all in Oceania, plus a wonderful lack of nickle-and-dimeing. Neither shows nor other activities are important to us beyond an occasional diversion. I think Princess absolutely does Alaska best should that be your interest, but beyond that we think that HAL has some 'splaining to do in terms of its apparent priorities per the announcement this week, vs. the food, staffing, and maintenance issues documented on CC so often. While in the future we might try Königsdam for the right itinerary and price, we're most happy with O. We do keep up with HAL news as that was our choice for a while, but they lost us after food, service, and maintenance issues on Zuiderdam.

I understand your issues and I am looking forward to our O cruise with anticipation and trepidation. Their prices are much higher for alcoholic drinks than HAL's and the Culinary Classes are much higher priced as is La Reserve. (we have booked them all).

We'll find out soon enough if it is worth the $ or not I guess and hopefully it is ;)

But I wouldn't say that the line is cheap, maybe it doesn't nickle and dime for a cappuccino, but it sure makes up for it in other charges on board without question. Much pricier IMO.

Edited by kazu

I have used the dry cleaning every cruise.

When I would send out DH's dockers, trousers, polo shirts etc, I always requested dry cleaning unless the garment specifically indicated to not dry clean. Everything came back great.

I have cruised on HAL, Royal Carribean and Carnival. Give me HAL ANYTIME.....just a regular veranda suite, and I am happy. Can't beat HAL for service and accommodations, compared to the other two. Since I haven't cruised on any other cruise lines, I have no opinion on them. But I fell in love with HAL the first time I set foot on board. Am booked again in January...can't wait!

Edited by SonnekeH

Based on the fact you 'are more interested in the ship' than the itinerary and that you have previously cruised on Princess and RCL, HAL may not be for you. The current HAL ships are not newer with lots of glitz and glamor as are most Princess and RCL ships but stately with old world elegance. They are smaller, more intimate and comfortable with amazing service. The new Koningsdam may be what you may like when it is available - not sure when you are planning on cruising. I am 5-star on HAL with many hundreds of days because of the itineraries and the service, even after cruising other cruise lines. Also, Cunard may be more to you liking.

People tend to complain loud and long before they praise - and you have just seen classic examples of that after the recent announcement.

Hopefully I will not be chastised too much for saying what I do believe to be in your best interest.

Actually, "old world elegance" might be something to be prefered. We were attracted to HAL because of those who found HAL to have great service, intimate, and comfortable. Cunard would not be acceptable.

Sounds to me like the best explanation about the negative comments would be that a lot of people who love HAL were disappointed by the announcement but not necessarily disappointed by HAL. They were hoping this announcement could be a herald of needed improvements and got a new magazine.

... Now, after reading the responses to the thread discussing these initiatives, I am having a difficult time convincing myself to book a cruise on Holland. Those responses were so negative towards Holland, Mr. Ashford, and the initiative that I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone would ever want to cruise on Holland...

I'm going to assume that the "bolded" part of your post was rhetorical and, thus, needs no response - for myself I totally discount posts by the "Negative Nellies" on here and make my cruise decisions based on what I already know and/or have gleaned from sources I have found to be reliable. I am 100% loyal to HAL because all of my cruises have been a good value and none has disappointed me. Additionally, HAL provides a Catholic priest on every cruise, so I am able to attend daily Mass while enjoying the cruise.

You want me to convince you to try HAL? NOPE!!!! If you have been following this board, you know what we love, and if you need to be "convinced" I'm not sure I want you along.

I love that most HAL passenger board the ship's knowing they will enjoy the atmosphere, the small ship feel and the interesting fellow passengers. I love that I can walk into the MDR and day, breakfast or lunch, and tell them I am happy to share, and find congenial, interesting table mates. I love that we find lots of people who even listen to my husband's stories (he is a math/science/statistic geek) politely.

If you need to be convinced, I am not sure I will find you a congenial traveler. I say, "You convince ME you belong on HAL."

And since I will spend 13 weeks next year on HAL ships, I hope you will join us!

Barbara M. In NH