Knee replacement and security

karlsselindh

I'm in the camp that says don't bother with cards or letters. TSA, CBSA or any other agency tasked with airport screening MUST conduct an in situ verification and can not accept written or verbal third party information as to the cause of detection systems going off.
I just posted about the questionable legitimacy of such documents in the other Security screening thread.

Just want to add that the reason security people usually don't care if you show them documentation and will pat you down anyway is because they know very well that anyone can easily produce what appears to be a letter on a doctor's letterhead or a laminated card with a medical company's logo on it.

Some people go through the metal detector first and wait until they set it off before asking to be hand screened.

But passing through a metal detector can be dangerous for people with some types of implanted devices.

If there is any doubt at all, it is best to completely avoid going through metal detectors.

The same for the hand held scanning devices.

Some people need to avoid those as well and must only be patted down manually.

Edited by fleckle

I've set off every scanner that I go Thru, the wand and then the pat down. As many time as I tell them ahead of time it still happens. We did Constellation and Eclipse this past February, Silhouette on a TA in April. Last week on Emerald Princess - never missed a pat down!

Last year I had quad bypass and they wire the sternum together, that did not set off the alarm. Better safe than sorry!

Hal

My husband has had hip replacement surgery and we sailed a few months ago. The only issue he had with boarding was security's rather aggressive response to his cane. I suppose we should have expected to have it taken, but they were rude about it and caught us off guard.

OP, if it makes you feel any better, I was the lucky recipient of an all-over total body "massage" from a female security person at LHR in August. She had her hands under my bra and all over me not once, but twice. I tried to laugh it off, but it was upsetting, so I know how you can be made to feel like a criminal.

This was all because I wore a long silver necklace through the metal detector. I didn't even think it would set off the scanners, but it did. I took it off but they insisted there was still "something" there. The only metal on me after that was the underwire of my bra and my wedding ring. She finally reluctantly let me go. I think they have serious problems there with their security devices.

All you can do is carry a doctor's note explaining that you've had a TKR. :cool:

I've had two bionic knees installed in the last year, and later this month we're going on an Eclipse cruise to celebrate my becoming ambulatory again. I haven't flown or cruised with the new knees yet.

Will I have trouble going through ship security with the new knees?

Thanks!

I also have had bilateral knees done, as well as a broken femur with rod.I have flown and cruised many times with the metal.I know the drill pretty well.The ortho surgeon gave me a wallet card,that I can show to screeners-it is completely worthless.What happens is that once you set off the metal detector or wand,they pull you aside and do a full patdown and metal scan.Does no good to show them my card.Once you tell them that you are going to set off,they give you a full screen.

Have had a metal knee for about 5 years - unless it's the newer machines, it always results in hand scanning or more physical checking at airports. One time asked "shouldn't you at least buy me dinner first?" and it was not met with much appreciation! On boarding ships, it's about 50% - sometimes it doesn't even set off the scanner, but if it does it's a very quick manual check of the knee.

Forget the cards or doctor's notes - never had either, would really worry if one of these allowed anyone to pass through security without further checking. I could easily create my own card or note and I'm sure that anyone intending on causing a problem would have the ability to produce a realistic looking one if they thought it would help them get something through security undetected.

All you can do is carry a doctor's note explaining that you've had a TKR. :cool:

TSA could care less about those cards (usually not notes). They have never asked to see them when we have offered. They still have to go through their wands after you beep.

When I had my hip replacement four years ago I asked my doctor about a note/card. He said we don't give those out anymore because the terrorists can get those too! I'm just happy I can walk without pain, so I just bear with the extra security. As far as I'm concerned the more security the better!:)

TSA could care less about those cards (usually not notes). They have never asked to see them when we have offered. They still have to go through their wands after you beep.

So what is the big deal of going through the wands. The card is intended to alert security to a medical implant device, they then quickly wand the person and let them pass

Most TSA agents may not give a crap about them, but having them assists them in knowing what to expect. Having hers helped my MIL diffuse a panicking agent who was hellbent on taking her to the private room for a more "intimate pat down". The agent's supervisor, thankfully, was there and explained the situation to the agent, after seeing the card my MIL was holding, and we were allowed to go on our merry way.

Looking back at it now it's rather comical. However, at the time, my MIL (who was 80 at the time) was confused as to why this agent was screeching and waving her arms around. And, no, I am not exaggerating....

The only metal on me after that was the underwire of my bra and my wedding ring. She finally reluctantly let me go. I think they have serious problems there with their security devices.

The security device you went through worked just fine. It is likely the under-wire bra set off the metal detector, this has happened to my DW several times with that being the only metal on her person.

She asked one TSA lady after her pat down if they should share a cigarette!

But, seriously, the metal detector is designed to alert if you walk through with metal. You shouldn't be surprised if you set it off while having metal on your person. The metal detectors that DON'T go off when you have metal items on are the ones with the problem.

So what is the big deal of going through the wands. The card is intended to alert security to a medical implant device, they then quickly wand the person and let them pass

There is nothing wrong with the wands. I am just saying the note/card doesn't make a difference. They don't want to see it. The only benefit I see in the card is that you have the manufacturer and serial number in case there is a recall.

I agree about warning them about it - it gives them a head up.

Edited by Coral

As long as you can talk you can "alert them" to metal implant-the point is,they are going to wand you and pat you down-you don't have to alert them by showing a card-the scanners or wand does that better

I've had two bionic knees installed in the last year, and later this month we're going on an Eclipse cruise to celebrate my becoming ambulatory again. I haven't flown or cruised with the new knees yet.

Thanks!

Both my knees have been replaced....one in April 2013 & one in Feb 2014. Yes, I tell them before I go thru, they put me thru the full body and I also wear shorts, skirt or a casual dress so they can obviously see the scars. Short little delay. Never a problem getting on the ship. Go and enjoy a pain free cruise. It will be worth it. :)

Thanks!

I set off the ship detector several times. But, they just pull you aside and wand. Nothing like airports. If they have the full body scanner at the airport, USE it, unless you like being loved. As it were.

I have not yet had an issue with my knee going through security, but have yet to go on a cruise since my surgery. I will see how that goes next week!

Best way to avoid the problems with security is to get Global Entry. I will be going for that as soon as I stop traveling so much!

I have not yet had an issue with my knee going through security, but have yet to go on a cruise since my surgery. I will see how that goes next week!

Best way to avoid the problems with security is to get Global Entry. I will be going for that as soon as I stop traveling so much!

Even with Global Entry, you must pass through a scanner before boarding a plane or cruise ship.....so not sure it will help in this case.

• 2 weeks later...
Even with Global Entry, you must pass through a scanner before boarding a plane or cruise ship.....so not sure it will help in this case.

My knee goes fine through the new style scanner (full body scanner) in the airports, but not the classic scanner. However, on the cruise ship I have no problem going through the security unit that is like the classic airport scanner. The settings must be less sensitive. Just glad I didn't have to go through the pat down. I generally like to be wined and dined before getting that close to anyone!