Problem with Regal Room Service!

Hlitner

We recently spent 10 days on the Regal and had issues with Room Service. As Elite we get a free mini-bar set-up and our normal practice is to call Room Service to swap some of the bottles. On our embarkation day we called the Room Service number several times (including late at night) and there was never an answer. Our call would go to a recording and even when we waited for over 20 min there was no human. The 2nd day it was the same situation (we called several times during the day an evening). The 3rd day we had the same problem and wondered what folks do if they want to order Room Service Food. On the 4th day we stopped at Guest Relations and asked for help. They have a "secret number" that gets them through to a human and they made the call and then handed us the phone. Once reached, the Room Service folks were very prompt with providing our desired service....but it did take 4 days to reach them.

Was this just bad luck, or is it a staffing issue?

Hank:eek:

Edited by Hlitner

Were you directly keying in the extension number for room service, or pressing the marked speed-dial number? Numbers programmed in phones at hotels (or cruise ships) can be out of date or just lost. On Ruby Princess last year pressing the 'dine line' button on the phone vs. punching in the extension number listed in the Patter got similarly opposite results.

We were on the same sailing. When we first got into our room, I asked our room attendant how to go about swapping out the bar setup for coffee cards. She said room attendants are no longer allowed to make the switch, and that I'd have to call room service....BUT she also said that it would take a while to get through. I called about ten times and finally got through. They said it might be a few hours before they could come to the room, but they were there about 20 minutes later.

The next day we called to order lunch and got right through.

Guess it's luck of the dial.

Edited by Linerguy

I've had no answer from room service more than once on several ships but eventually got through on the same day. I am pretty sure it was always embarkation day.

4 days is way too long, next time go to passenger services sooner. And comment on your survey.

Embarkation day is a madhouse for Room Service prepping all the rooms that need fruit baskets, mini bars, etc. It takes forever and a day to get through. I've never had a problem other day, though. That's ridiculous you could never get through without going to Pax Services.

I forgot to mention that on Day 2, still not being able to get a human, we did telephone Guest Services. They transferred our call to Room Service and it rang for about 5 minutes before going to the standard recording ("we are currently assisting other customers") with no human answer. It was only when we physically went to Guest Relations and they used their own phone did we finally get a person.

As to why we asked the original question, it was simply to find out if this is a widespread problem on other ships...or just an isolated incident. I truly am sorry if anyone was "offended" by us asking.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I forgot to mention that on Day 2, still not being able to get a human, we did telephone Guest Services. They transferred our call to Room Service and it rang for about 5 minutes before going to the standard recording ("we are currently assisting other customers") with no human answer. It was only when we physically went to Guest Relations and they used their own phone did we finally get a person.

As to why we asked the original question, it was simply to find out if this is a widespread problem on other ships...or just an isolated incident. I truly am sorry if anyone was "offended" by us asking.

Hank

Hank; No worries sir. You were simply asking a question that everyone has the right to on the boards.....

Bob

Just totally unacceptable. You should write to Princess in Santa Clarita. Excellent service is one of the enjoyments of cruising Princess that they are selling. What good is a cruise vacation without it, and without enough staff to handle the phones at peak times.

Just got off the Regal from a 5 day cruise. Have to say, I experienced the worst service of any of the cruises we have taken. From the room service never answering phones to the bartenders ignoring us to the 2.5 hour dining room service. And this went on the entire cruise. Too few people working on a large ship. Maybe because this was the first cruise this season out of Florida? Who knows.

I got off the 10 day repositioning cruise on 11/3. My main complaint was getting through to the dining line, solved by going through the pursers desk. I am Elite and called room service to switch out the bar items for a bottle of wine, no problem. I did traditional dining and the service was great. We are believers in not rushing through dinner and enjoying our meal and time together. If we were in a hurry we would have gone to the buffet, just saying. I have never traveled on the "big" ship and did not know if I would like it having cruised the Grand class all the way down to the "baby" the Pacific Princess in September. I really liked the Regal and will be on the Royal in March. This was my 32nd cruise with Princess and i don't think you can expect perfect no matter where you travel and there are certainly ways to get around things, i.e. Room service and dining line when cruising.

We were in the 10-day repo cruise also and have awful service from room service (as in, no one answering the phone, when we finally were able to get a person on day 5, they were out of several items, -and that happened at least two more times.). We simply gave up on room service after being told for the third time that they were out of chili, out of Turkey sandwich, no soup.. We hit up the buffet and brought it back to the room, or went without (probably the best option really). We finally got our mini-van swapped out by taking it physically to guest services as we simply couldn't get through on the room service line, by calling the number or by calling guest services and them putting us through. Frustrating, yes. Ruined the cruise? Absolutely not.

Other than the room service issues, we had a great cruise. Didn't notice any drop off in service, we do traditional dining and it was great -we were often amongst the last handful of tables left in the dining room, very enjoyable table mated and grrat service staff. Bars were timely to quite timely in their service -our glasses never went empty. We had a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to sail Royal Class again. Beautiful ship.

Why are you asking us? We're not on the ship, so how would we know what was going on?

I don't think they ask YOU, they just posted a concern......never cruised Princess, but we're booked December 13th, hope everyone's not like you or it may be our first and last.... Just saying.

I always ask my cabin steward to do it or leave them a note. Never had a problem getting it swapped out.

That is no longer the procedure. The cabin stewards will usually explain that you must call Room Service since they are the ones responsible for stocking the mini-bars.

Hank

I always ask my cabin steward to do it or leave them a note. Never had a problem getting it swapped out.

We did ask our steward, several times - and each time he was very adamant that room service has to do it. Asked guest services whether the steward could just do it, and got a resounding NO, has to be done by room service. Apparently not entirely true, as guest services can make it happen eventually also. But definitely wasn't getting done by the steward.

Hi All

Emerald Princess ta no issues with room service, apart from phone line did not work, so were given another number to call, room service sounded like always engaged, but infact system was down.

yours Shogun

Just got off the Regal a couple of weeks ago in Brooklyn and on boarding day room service answered on the 1st try and switch out our mini bar for coffee cards within 30 minutes.. But I found the service on the rest of ship luke warm at best

Srpilo

We were on the repositioning from new york to lauderdale. Worst service ever on deck 5, the so calledpizzaz! Staff walking aimlesly around with their trays walking past you. Just for fun i set my timer it was 26 minutes before i finally went to get my own drink! This would nevef have happened on the royal last october! The staff were amazing! The bar staff at seaview were tne best on the regal. Even a few of the staff said they had the best crew back then. We will pass on the repositioning again as it is the regal once again!

OP - waiting four days to get a hold of room service? Completely unacceptable! I would have had a talk with the hotel manager. Now, I've never been on the Regal but I cruised on the Royal three times (two times on 26-day cruises) and never once had any issue with room service.

We have had issues with room service as well. All ships. At this point, we have become accustomed to it.

Sometimes they don't answer at all. We would spend 30+ minutes trying to call only to be told it would be an hour for delivery. Some morning, our order would be delivered 15 minutes early on the dot. Others, it would show up late or not at all.

With that said, it's a non issue. Is it annoying? Yes! But we've gotten used to it. We love so many other aspects about Princess though.

-Andrew :)

That is no longer the procedure. The cabin stewards will usually explain that you must call Room Service since they are the ones responsible for stocking the mini-bars.

Hank

It was in September.

Edited by icat2000

I don't think they ask YOU, they just posted a concern......never cruised Princess, but we're booked December 13th, hope everyone's not like you or it may be our first and last.... Just saying.

Is there a "like" button somewhere? :cool: