Oasis Lawyer

Which is absolutely disgusting to me :mad: And that cost will be passed right along to us as well. You can believe that!

I expect many people will be cut off from drinking, drink packages may now come with a limit and all kinds of stuff happening if thats the way it pans out.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but the above policy was written shortly after George Smith disappeared off of Brilliance. Along that same time I believe allowing bottles of liquor to be purchased was axed too. We will all feel this in some kind of way.

I dont see how these disgusting ambulance chasing attorneys sleep at night! :mad:

I agree.. We all have to suffer for someone else's stupidity

Easy there. No need to go overboard. Each year companies budget for legal fees, including settlements. The odds of "cost being passed along" is fairly unlikely. Likewise, talk of drink packages coming with limits are also unlikely. You do an internal review, implement new training for bar staff and that's all that'll likely happen.

As for the vitriol against "disgusting" attorneys, people tend to say that sort of thing right up until the point where they need one. Yes, as someone who works in the legal field there are some complete dirtbag attorneys out there. Just as there are complete dirtbag doctors, teachers, police officers, athletes, etc. The majority of plaintiff's PI attorneys I've come across are just zealously advocating for their client and, in most cases, are the only person out there advocating for their client and understand that unless they take a case that has some chance of success, they wind up with nothing. Such is the peril of the contingency fee-based structure plaintiff's attorneys must operate under. Like most large companies, RCI has a fleet of in-house attorneys and outside counsel on retainer who get paid win or lose. They'll zealously advocate for their client as well and somewhere in the middle a compromise will be reached.

I agree the video audio clearly says "don't let him jump"..

SunkissedMommy - thank you for the balcony photo!! We have 2 balconies booked (1st cruise) with the intention of putting the kids in the adjoining one and us in the other. But the past couple of nights I close my eyes at night and start worrying and thinking we should stick to dad/son and mom/daughter rooms. It's reassuring to see just how high that balcony is!

No one can fall off a ship. They have to climb up first to get over the railing. Your kids will be safe.

Going over a railing is a deliberate act. I am sorry for the fellow who lost his life and for his family who are now forever altered because of his action.

I agree the video audio clearly says "don't let him jump"..

SunkissedMommy - thank you for the balcony photo!! We have 2 balconies booked (1st cruise) with the intention of putting the kids in the adjoining one and us in the other. But the past couple of nights I close my eyes at night and start worrying and thinking we should stick to dad/son and mom/daughter rooms. It's reassuring to see just how high that balcony is!

When we took our kids on Allure (they were 9/6/4 at the time) I had initially made a rule that they were NEVER to be on the balcony alone. That ended about an hour into the trip.... those rails are so high, and are curved inward (right? someone correct me if I am wrong). I realized the kids could NEVER fall off, and could not even climb their way up that glass. Fear not!

I needed an attorney on a couple occasions, and I actually thought they were dirtbags for NOT zealously advocating for their client. Fired them both for not doing their job. You can't please everybody in that line of work. And if you can't please everybody, please the one who's paying you.

Easy there. No need to go overboard. Each year companies budget for legal fees, including settlements. The odds of "cost being passed along" is fairly unlikely. Likewise, talk of drink packages coming with limits are also unlikely. You do an internal review, implement new training for bar staff and that's all that'll likely happen.

As for the vitriol against "disgusting" attorneys, people tend to say that sort of thing right up until the point where they need one. Yes, as someone who works in the legal field there are some complete dirtbag attorneys out there. Just as there are complete dirtbag doctors, teachers, police officers, athletes, etc. The majority of plaintiff's PI attorneys I've come across are just zealously advocating for their client and, in most cases, are the only person out there advocating for their client and understand that unless they take a case that has some chance of success, they wind up with nothing. Such is the peril of the contingency fee-based structure plaintiff's attorneys must operate under. Like most large companies, RCI has a fleet of in-house attorneys and outside counsel on retainer who get paid win or lose. They'll zealously advocate for their client as well and somewhere in the middle a compromise will be reached.

Based on everything Ive read so far, this attorney is clearly a dirtbag and so are others that take cases like this. They are right there along with Jim Walker in my book. To know that a "compromise" will likely be reached where Royal will pay out because of someones stupidity disgusts me and if you dont believe we will all feel this in some way, you are fooling yourself.

Edited by ryano

Yeah...tough to prove servers were serving this guy knowing he was inebriated. Again, going from bar to bar, server to server, it would be next to impossible to say either man was drunk without a toxicology report. They may have been acting pretty crazy (and the accounts I've read support that). That doesn't mean they were necessarily drunk, or that someone knowingly "overserved" them.

Again, this sounds more like the lawyer grabbing at straws, and trying to do little more than shakedown the cruise line.

I think it would pretty easy to show this guy was drunk. Check his sea pass card. If he was on the package each drink is going to be there and if he was buying each drink there's a record there too.

I think it would pretty easy to show this guy was drunk. Check his sea pass card. If he was on the package each drink is going to be there and if he was buying each drink there's a record there too.

This is a horribly sad story, and other then the immediate video tapes we may never know what actually happened... My question would be. If the people in the solarium were so anti gay and so mean to him, causing this much concern for his well being. Why did his husband leave him there alone and go to bed early?

Based on everything Ive read so far, this attorney is clearly a dirtbag and so are others that take cases like this. They are right there along with Jim Walker in my book. To know that a "compromise" will likely be reached where Royal will pay out because of someones stupidity disgusts me and if you dont believe we will all feel this in some way, you are fooling yourself.

It's the truth. They will settle. It's more economical than fighting it anyway.

Without knowing how old your kids are, this not a good idea.

Yes, the balcony rail is high, but a child can easily climb from balcony chair to table to balcony rail. I wouldn't risk it.

Again, without knowing your kids ages, there are always other risks in leaving them alone in a cabin. Although, it may be highly unlikely that anything would happen, why take the risk?

Which is absolutely disgusting to me :mad:...

I expect many people will be cut off from drinking, drink packages may now come with a limit and all kinds of stuff happening if thats the way it pans out.

:mad:

I think it is a good idea to cut-off people that have had way too much to drink. I think the passengers in the surrounding cabins as well as a lot of other people on the ship wish RCL would have cut him off. I don't see an upside for having any super drunks on the ship. If RCL starts enforcing their policy, it will be one good thing to come from this mess.

I think it is a good idea to cut-off people that have had way too much to drink. I think the passengers in the surrounding cabins as well as a lot of other people on the ship wish RCL would have cut him off. I don't see an upside for having any super drunks on the ship. If RCL starts enforcing their policy, it will be one good thing to come from this mess.

I totally agree with you. But i need to comment that its making me smile that the voice of reason is named "Big Beer Gut."

I have sailed twice with a client of mine who likes to drink a lot. on both cruises by the end of the first night they cut him off at the bar and sent him to bed.

It's the truth. They will settle. It's more economical than fighting it anyway.

Exactly. If Ryano is worried about "costs being spread around," better to settle. It'll cost far less for both parties than cost after multiple rounds of discovery, dispositive motions, expert witness fees, deposition fees, court fees, costs, and the uncertainty of what happens when you get a case with a potentially sympathetic plaintiff in front of a jury.

Just read this reported today at CBS Miami.....

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A man who fell to his death while onboard Royal Caribbean’s “Oasis of the Seas” ship intentionally jumped off a balcony, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.

Bernardo and Eric Elbaz, who live in New York and have been married for about a year, had booked the cruise on the Oasis of the Seas to celebrate Eric’s 34th birthday.

Originally, Royal Caribbean said that crew members saw Bernardo Elbaz, 35, “intentionally going over the side of the ship” on November 6th around 1 a.m. Friday morning while the ship was about 17 miles from the Turks and Caicos.

“Our onboard security team responded to the guest’s stateroom after a neighboring guest complained about a domestic dispute on the guest’s balcony,” according to a second statement from the cruise line. “Our staff did not have a physical altercation with the guest and were unable to prevent his jumping from the stateroom balcony.”

Broward sheriff’s investigators say when the ship’s security went to the couple’s cabin regarding a domestic disturbance they found evidence of a physical altercation.

On cell phone video reviewed by detectives, Bernardo Elbaz can be heard declaring that he was planning to jump overboard. In the recording, he can be seen running towards the balcony alone. The video also shows Erick Elbaz running after him followed by the ship’s security staff.

Sheriff’s investigators said Bernardo Elbaz jumped down from his seventh floor balcony and struck the metal support for a lifeboat on the fifth floor. He clung to the ship as staff members tried to rescue him. He fell into the water moments later.

A dramatic video that was shot by a guest on their cell phone and put on social media, shows the final moments of Bernardo Elbaz’s life. He’s seen dangling off the side of a life boat davit as a crew member attempts to pull him to safety.

Elbaz then appears to lose his grip and falls to his death in the churning sea elow.

Mike Winkleman, an attorney for the Elbaz family, said he can’t believe that Bernardo really wanted to take his own life.

“It’s very clear in the video that he’s trying to hang on, this is very clearly someone who is not trying to commit suicide,” said Winkleman.

In a statement Monday, Royal Caribbean stood by their previous statements.

“We are aware that the facts we have provided differ from the attorney’s remarks, but we stand behind the information in our statements.

Our ship’s security officers responded to reports of domestic dispute loud enough to be heard from several staterooms away. The room was in a state of disarray, and both lamps in the room had been broken. Our officers interviewed the guests separately about their dispute, as is standard procedure. The officers were not in the room when the guest chose to jump off his balcony.

Our officers responded professionally and appropriately to the incident in the stateroom. In addition, other security officers and crew risked their own lives in an attempt to rescue the guest from the lifeboat rigging where he had fallen.”

Winkleman said it was Royal Caribbean crew members who instigated the situation that led to Elbaz’s death.

Personally, I'm not liking this lawyer so much. A man states he's going to jump overboard, yet the lawyer can't believe he actually did it? He also insinuates that the crew somehow made him jump overboard? Really? That's just ridiculous!

This sheds alot of light on the events that led to him going over the rail.. certainly. The BSO would not be making this statement unless there is audio/video proof.

I had a gut feeling that Mr. Elbaz (Eric) was not physically present when his husband left the balcony. I gather he was seperated from Bernardo, which is consistent with the statement made by RCI that the guests were interviewed seperately.

It was also reported their cell phones were taken by RCI staff and he had no access to his phone until today after rerieving them from the BSO. This would also be consistent with this new statement by authorities.

It's still loss of life and unfortunately related to one of our beloved pass times, cruising.

Although I am personally glad to know staff was not involved physically in Mr. Elbaz's death, I would still be interested in what initiated the events of the night that led up to his state of mind. A simple "who cares" doesn't satisfy me .. again, personally.

Edited by Fury1995
spelling

On the topic of bartenders cutting off those that over indulge: Made friends with bar staff on one cruise and there was a problem individual that tended to get too drunk every night on a drink package. Rather than cause a scene, he was served blanks. Made it better for all. Other patrons at the bar were making discrete 'cut him off signs' and the staff let them know they were already handling it with fake pours and virgin drinks. In this case it was the best way to handle it and nobody got irate.

The lawyer can say all he wants that the guy didn't intend to commit suicide, but the reality is, a lot of people who attempt it and don't succeed regret having tried. Not all, but a lot, so it's very possible he meant it when he went over the balcony but was having second thoughts. Not that any of that makes any difference, but the lawyer saying that doesn't really mean much.

It sounds like the lawyer is stretching for a case because if the article is correct, then RCI did absolutely nothing wrong.

Mike Winkleman, an attorney for the Elbaz family, said he can’t believe that Bernardo really wanted to take his own life.

That's right, because then he (the lawyer) wouldn't be able to collect any money.

I cant wait to hear his theory on why it is then that someone would jump off of a perfectly good ship into the ocean in the middle of the night.

Where I would place more blame on the passengers is if they inappropriately wielded their "protected" status as a gay couple. There was loss of life, confiscating of cell phones which is UNACCEPTABLE, drinking, and a domestic disturbance. Gay marriage has nothing to do with it. If the guy was black, then the attorney would be saying, "oh, the crew members were making racial remarks, spurring him on to commit suicide.". Then you go to the media, where the public becomes more sympathetic because the " victim" is a member of some discriminated group, and threaten the line with economic impact. Now that would anger me.

Yeah...tough to prove servers were serving this guy knowing he was inebriated. Again, going from bar to bar, server to server, it would be next to impossible to say either man was drunk without a toxicology report. They may have been acting pretty crazy (and the accounts I've read support that). That doesn't mean they were necessarily drunk, or that someone knowingly "overserved" them.

Again, this sounds more like the lawyer grabbing at straws, and trying to do little more than shakedown the cruise line.

It would be pretty easy for anyone serving these two at anytime on the ship to look into their system and tell exactly what they had already been served and when. Much different than on land.

Edited by Johnamac123