Bizarre quirk on Princess website

Bruin Steve

So, just out of curiosity, I keep checking the status of bookings on my cruise--which is now only 10 days away...

The ship has appeared to be virtually sold out for some time now with only a few cabins remaining...the exact number of which has gone up and down a little at times--I assume people tentatively booking, then subsequently backing out...

For a few days, they were showing just four cabins available--one inside and three obstructed view OVs...

From late last night until some time this morning, they suddenly showed 10 available cabins--the four that have been constants for some time...and six additional inside cabins all in the same general vicinity, Deck 12 toward the port side forward--virtually in a block...

By midday today, those had again disappeared...and now they show three remaining cabins--the one inside and two of the obstructed OVs (apparently, perhaps, someone booked the third)...The prices show $849 pp for the inside, $889 pp for the OVs...

Now here's the really weird part:

If you try to go right to the balcony cabins from the entry screen, it won't let you...But, if after clicking on inside or OV, you use the pull-down menu to go to Mini Suite or Suite, a message comes on telling you they are sold out and to pick another category...

BUT, if you use the pull-down to ask for Balcony, it actually allows you in...and shows you one remaining Caribe deck balcony...for only $809pp!!

Of course, IF this cabin is really available, nobody in their right mind would have opted for an inside or an obstructed OV at a higher price...However, the way the Princess site is functioning, there is a pretty good chance that someone wanting to book this cruise at this late date would never find it...

What do you guys think...Is this just a mistake--a glitch in the program--and the cabin is really not available? Or is the cabin available and the system is just screwed up?

And, what about those 6 appearing and disappearing cabins? Was that just a glitch in the system? Hard to believe that six customers backed out on cabins (virtually all in a row), then,, within just a few hours all of those cabins got re-sold...

Princess has an IT department that must take LOTS of drugs or else drink on the job. I never try to figure out why things work (or don't work) the way they do on the Princess site.

LOL! That's as good an explanation that I can think of!

I have noticed weird things like that too.

We are on an upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise. There are 2 different aspects of this cruise.....

1. Leaving from Houston for a 21 night sailing.

2. Leaving from Fort Lauderdale for an 18 night sailing.

3.A 33 night B2B portion leaving from Southampton at the end of the 18/21 day sailings.

So, I one looks at the cabin availability there are no mini-suites available for booking on the 21 or the 33 night but available on the 18 night? Makes no sense to me...anybody?

I have noticed weird things like that too.

We are on an upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise. There are 2 different aspects of this cruise.....

1. Leaving from Houston for a 21 night sailing.

2. Leaving from Fort Lauderdale for an 18 night sailing.

3.A 33 night B2B portion leaving from Southampton at the end of the 18/21 day sailings.

So, I one looks at the cabin availability there are no mini-suites available for booking on the 21 or the 33 night but available on the 18 night? Makes no sense to me...anybody?

I think you are looking at the April TA/British Isles cruise. If so, the breakdown is:

21 nights from Houston or 18 from Ft. Lauderdale to London (Southhampton)

A 12 night Southhampton to Southhampton which is added to either of the above to make the 30/33 nights (which can be booked as a single 33 night cruise or a 21+12 B2B)

I can understand a category not being available on the 30/33 night if it was sold to someone who booked the last 12 nights as a "stand alone" cruise. What doesn't make sense is why it would be available on the 18 but not the 21 night as guests cannot do just Houston to Ft. Lauderdale.

I think you are looking at the April TA/British Isles cruise. If so' date=' the breakdown is:

21 nights from Houston or 18 from Ft. Lauderdale to London (Southhampton)

A 12 night Southhampton to Southhampton which is added to either of the above to make the 30/33 nights (which can be booked as a single 33 night cruise or a 21+12 B2B)

I can understand a category not being available on the 30/33 night if it was sold to someone who booked the last 12 nights as a "stand alone" cruise. What doesn't make sense is why it would be available on the 18 but not the 21 night as guests cannot do just Houston to Ft. Lauderdale.[/quote']

Exactly my point! How could that be?

Simplified answer: Princess makes "X" number of cabins available for one leg, "Y" number of cabins available for the 2nd leg, and "Z" number of cabins available for the combination of legs. A good TA can probably get you the cabin you want.

How/where do you see how many cabins in a certain category are available on a given cruise?

You just go onto their website and start making a dummy booking...Run through each major category--Inside, OV, Balcony, Mini-suite and Suite...when each comes up, hit "I'll choose my own", if available, and it gives you a deck plan...Go through each ship section (aft, mid-aft, midship, mid-forward and forward...then click on each deck, if shown as available...and just count the cabins...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Last year we booked on Royal that later showed as lower than the class should have been...I think it was something like $1199 but when we clicked on the cabin it showed as $899, so we called to get a price cut. "Forget it! they replied, it's a typo and we're not doing it."

Oh well, sigh.

Last year we booked on Royal that later showed as lower than the class should have been...I think it was something like $1199 but when we clicked on the cabin it showed as $899, so we called to get a price cut. "Forget it! they replied, it's a typo and we're not doing it."

Oh well, sigh.

Or they will show a really low fare on the weekend when they are closed and you can't call and book it. When Monday comes, they tell you it's no longer available! Had this happen.

Speaking as a retired IT professional consultant, Princess does not waste a lot of money on their IT department. I saw it in many companies where they starved their IT department and then wondered why it performed so badly. The executives look at IT as an expense that does not generate revenue which is grossly wrong but try telling them that. So when I see some of the things the Princess website does, I just have to shake my head.

This is a very common view by all companies and CCL and RCL are not immune to it. I find the Princess site with all its problems to be easier to use than either of the two mentioned. Maybe a lot of user complaints will change the attitude but I doubt it.

Simplified answer: Princess makes "X" number of cabins available for one leg, "Y" number of cabins available for the 2nd leg, and "Z" number of cabins available for the combination of legs. A good TA can probably get you the cabin you want.

A simplified answer maybe but the RIGHT answer as I found out while booking an other cruise.:)

I can say it is seriously lacking to DCL though. That is one thing I wish Princess would improve on

As good as DCL's website is for appearances, it's lacking on availability. Just like the other Disney sites, DCL's has lots of issues which has the Disney IT Dept making fixes constantly and various parts of the sites down consistently. I'll take the continuous availability of the Princess site any day. IMHO

I'll take the continuous availability of the Princess site any day. IMHO

On the Princess web site right now:

We’re Making Improvements

We apologize for any inconvenience and will be back 12:05 AM PST, Sunday, Nov 15, 2015.

Exactly. This is why we always go to our Princess "Vacation Planner" to book our voyages. They always know what cabins are really available at that moment.