Labadee: No tip, no chairs

When we got to Labadee with our 3 kids, nature called for the little guy, so my husband took him in search of a washroom. I continued walking to the beach with the other 2 kids, all the towels, the sand toys, the beach bag with sunscreen and other beach items etc. When we got to the beach, one of the staff asked if we wanted chairs. As my husband had the cash, I was upfront and told the man I had no money for a tip. He replied "No tip, no chair, you can get your own" and walked away. So we did. I had no problem unstacking and carrying the chairs to a location on the beach, but I wonder whether this is something Royal Caribbean is aware of and endorses (ie - only assist guests who tip, others are left to fend for themselves) or whether this guy went rogue?

For me, this is not a close call. If my wife reported to me facts like these when I caught up to her, I might strike up a conversation with another beach guy to ask what was this fellow's problem - maybe he had just suffered a really bad personal issue and should get a break. Or, I might just talk to a supervisor and not worry about getting this fellow fired. The conduct is utterly unacceptable for what is a customer service position and there is no way that he did not know it was unacceptable - even apart from the fact that you do NOT have to tip to have a chair moved for you. I can say that having been to Labadee several times, I have never experienced or known of any conduct even close to what is described- just in my experience, quite the opposite.

The housing behind the vendors area I thought was for RCI workers stationed on the area that work, zip line workers, ski jet workers, maintenance workers as well as some of the "Locals" with "titles" namely the gate keeper at barefoot beach, the limo drivers.

The key workers------

sign 6 months contracts and are from various parts of the world, Australia, Germany to name a few.....

They also have locals working with them, and it is a privelage to get these few positions.

None of the vendors are housed in this area.

At the end of the day as the ship leaves you can see them being boated back to the area where their houses are, up the coast by Columbus cove.

I found this information out from the attendant on the jet skis.

Thanks

The housing behind the vendors area I thought was for RCI workers stationed on the area that work, zip line workers, ski jet workers, maintenance workers as well as some of the "Locals" with "titles" namely the gate keeper at barefoot beach, the limo drivers.

The key workers------

sign 6 months contracts and are from various parts of the world, Australia, Germany to name a few.....

They also have locals working with them, and it is a privelage to get these few positions.

None of the vendors are housed in this area.

At the end of the day as the ship leaves you can see them being boated back to the area where their houses are, up the coast by Columbus cove.

I found this information out from the attendant on the jet skis.

Thanks

That is what I have heard and I have seen them being taken home from Labadee by boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was there last week and pretty much had the same situation. Very pushy men following our group asking if you wanted a chair, and even when I said NO. He wouldn't leave us alone if had wasn't so pushy and hounding us it would have not been a problem but I hate being hounded when all we wanted to do was enjoy Labadee. We were on the concrete pathway, not looking for a spot and already knew where we wanted to go, and didn't need any help. Once we got to the spot that we were looking for we were open to having a chair and would've tipped also. The vendors in the artisan market were very pushy as well, we overheard someone mention that it was a preview of what was to come in Jamaica.

Personnel on the islands also represent the brand whether they work for RCI or not. They reflect on RCI. This behavior would never be tolerated on the ship and shouldn't be tolerated on shore either. Personnel on the ship come from economic depressed areas as well, and this is never used as an excuse to tolerate rude behavior; it shouldn't be used to tolerate rude behavior from Haitians either.

Rude behavior should not be tolerated. I wouldn't tell her to make a complaint or not make a complaint. That's something anyone subject to rude behavior has to figure out. Since I probably would rather grab my own chair I would likely forget about it. But if I needed help then I would probably tell RCI staff what happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest maddycat
Am I missing something? Am I the only one that remembers that RCI at one time posed a notice (I Cant remember where) that Labadee Staff were employees of RCI and no tipping was necessary.

No you are not the only one. When ever we stop at Labadee (the last time was in April) there is always a notice in the cruise compass saying that you should not tip the workers, that they are RCI employees.

I was a bit mortified, to tell you the truth. I wouldn't complain to RCI, though, as this guy has it much worse off than I do. I certainly would not want to be responsible for him losing his job, but on the other hand, does Royal Caribbean really want guys like this representing their brand?

Jacquelyn, I thoroughly understand your concern for the employee's welfare. He was, however, totally rude. That behavior is unacceptable regardless of his economic station in life. You are correct; it doesn't help RCI to have him representing their company. Clearly he's never been reprimanded for that previously, since he seemed so comfortable speaking to you in that manner. I'd absolutely tell someone in authority about it, if no other reason than to make sure he doesn't insult any future guests.

Guest maddycat
Now I am totally confused.:confused: Sooooo they "don't" work for RCCL? They are Haitians? Not that it matters to me, I was just surprised that FLACRUISER99 said they were RCCL employees. I always thought they were Islanders. Have been there 3 times and going there again next year on the Anthem. Love it there.

They are Haitians who are employed by RCI. They work for RCI in Labadee not on RCI ships.

#1 you not comparing apples to oranges. Castaway Cay is a private Bahaman island. To compare properly, you would mention RCCL's own Bahaman island CoCo Cay at which the chairs/umbrellas are set out and waiting just as Disney does it. Just saying.

#2 Labadee is part of Haiti, and has a large populace that RCCL helps subsidize by letting them do the loungers.

Coco Cay has locals (from nearby islands) working there as well, and they have the chairs already set out, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Edited by time4u2go

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've noticed this issue every time we visit Labadee and now we just grab our own loungers from the stack.

We take a picture overlooking the boat from the trail each time we visit. We have run into locals at the overlook that solicit taking your picture (with your camera). They always expect a tip, and I don't mind helping them out. As long as they treat us well I have no issue tipping these guys.

Now the guys in the "local market" are another story - very aggressive IMHO.

Now the guys in the "local market" are another story - very aggressive IMHO.

YES. Last time I was in Labadee, husband and I left all our cash on the ship since we just wanted to go for a walk and take some pictures. We ended up wandering into the marketplace. A vendor ended up luring us into his shop, even though we told him we didn't have any cash on us. Long story short, he put a bracelet on my wrist, and I was too polite to stop him. He said it was a gift since we didn't have any money. I did not want to offend him by declining his "gift". So husband and I went all the way back to the ship to our room, got $5, and went all the way back to the vendor to pay for the bracelet. I consider it my reminder to never walk over there again!

I You should definitely tell a supervisor or manager.

That's a good point but how would a guest be able to find the right person to tell? There is a sea of people at Labadee on the RCI payroll but I've never seen an officer as you would onboard. I know there is security at the dock and there are food and beverage staff at the dining pavilions but I think it'd be more trouble to wander around searching for the appropriate supervisor than it would to be to just forget it and make a mental note for next time if there was to be a next time and to try to enjoy the rest of the day.

While there is no excuse for the rudeness by some of the Haitian begging for tips, or the aggressiveness of the locals at the market, Haiti is a very poor country and the Haitian are only trying to make some money to feed and support their families. I have no problem requesting a beach chair from them. A few dollars here and there won't change our life, but will make a difference to a Haitian.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I'm cheap, but perhaps ignorant about the "going rate" -- I had a negative experience during my recent visit to Labadee on Jan 9.

My family first went to the Adrenaline Beach Cabanas area. My wife and young daughter went down to begin playing in the sand and in the water while I arranged to set up a couple of beach chairs. An RCI "guide" offered to set up the two chairs at "no charge", and I figured I'd give him a $5 tip (after all, I could just as easily unstack two chairs and return them at the end myself -- I would only have had to carry them for less than 100 feet).

He set up a blue tent for us as well, which took about 30 seconds of snapping the plastic pole pieces together. At the end, he wasn't happy with his $5 tip, so I asked what it should be because I honestly didn't know. He told me the cabana price of whatever it was (north of $150, I was never going to pay that price and others didn't either as many remained empty) and I should "pay what I think it is worth" for the chairs and tent in comparison to the cabana price. So I gave him an extra $5 and he left, disgruntled.

In general terms I have some inkling of understanding into the low wages paid to RCI employees and their standard of living is very low compared to those of us who can afford to go on a cruise**. But I wasn't trying to intentionally stiff somebody and this guy's attitude was all wrong. I don't mind being educated, but don't act like a jerk about it.

Ultimately that $10 was completely wasted because as soon as the chairs and tent were set up, my wife and daughter returned and decided we should leave because the waters at Adrenaline Beach were flithy...there was a lot of floating garbage (including, um, let's call it several used personal hygiene items). We left and went to the Barefoot Beach Cabanas area instead. Was much nicer there and I was able to grab two chairs from a stack and set them up myself without being hassled by anyone.

I'm still not sure what to think about this experience as I have mixed feelings about it.

**Side note, I wonder how the crew/employees feel about cruise passengers due to the wealth gap. Some seem happy to have a job but I feel badly for them when I know many are practically paid slave wages and could probably never afford to pay what we pay for our families to go on cruises. Not to mention the decadence of cruising in itself...lots of money spent on shopping, food, drinks, etc. plus the unimaginable amount of food waste, and so on.

Nothing about what you wrote was acceptable to me at all in any way.

Sorry, looking for clarification -- are you criticizing me (as in, what I said in my post was offensive to you), or commenting on what had happened to me? I was trying to express my honest opinion about what happened...I hope you don't mean me...

Sorry, looking for clarification -- are you criticizing me (as in, what I said in my post was offensive to you), or commenting on what had happened to me? I was trying to express my honest opinion about what happened...I hope you don't mean me...

No, I do not mean you at all.

What HAPPENED to you. The workers actions and attitude start to finish were completely out of line and unacceptable.

What happened was not acceptable. You should have complained to Guest Relations. Certainly write a letter to Royal Caribbean.

Haha...I think Corporate Guest Relations already knows me by name now...I've practically had a serious complaint with every sailing I've been on to date (but like a sucker, I keep going back for more? :confused:). They've previously offered me an apology and OBC on a future sailing as compensation.

Unforunately in this circumstance on Labadee I was a bit embarrassed and flustered because I felt I might have been partly in the wrong (by possibly shorting the employee on the tip) so I didn't have it in mind to collect any specifics such as the guy's name from his name tag. I wouldn't be able to make my complaint directly actionable like the others I've written to them about before. I guess I could still describe what happened to see what their official position is on how things are supposed to play out in Labadee.

I already have another complaint to write in about from this sailing, that will be in another post elsewhere...

Am I missing something? Am I the only one that remembers that RCI at one time posed a notice (I Cant remember where) that Labadee Staff were employees of RCI and no tipping was necessary.

I remember this.

There is no reason that employee should have been rude to op. He should value his job and if not, I am sure there are plenty of others who would love to have his job.

I

Edited by marci22

Haha...I think Corporate Guest Relations already knows me by name now...I've practically had a serious complaint with every sailing I've been on to date (but like a sucker, I keep going back for more? :confused:). They've previously offered me an apology and OBC on a future sailing as compensation.

Unforunately in this circumstance on Labadee I was a bit embarrassed and flustered because I felt I might have been partly in the wrong (by possibly shorting the employee on the tip) so I didn't have it in mind to collect any specifics such as the guy's name from his name tag. I wouldn't be able to make my complaint directly actionable like the others I've written to them about before. I guess I could still describe what happened to see what their official position is on how things are supposed to play out in Labadee.

I already have another complaint to write in about from this sailing, that will be in another post elsewhere...

I'd say your feeling is right; it is best to write to them and let them know what happened. With enough input about something guests find disagreeable that is, in large part, able to be controlled by RCI they would be likely to make a change to the practice.

Unforunately in this circumstance on Labadee I was a bit embarrassed and flustered because I felt I might have been partly in the wrong (by possibly shorting the employee on the tip)

There is no such thing as shorting them on the tip, you are not required to tip for the chairs, but in any case what you tipped was pretty good.

Edited by Charles4515